HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
RE legality question. Submitted higher offer on distressed property, and was not selected...
Posted by: calling out to all VA RE experts ()
Date: July 19, 2014 11:24PM

So I submitted higher offer on distressed property, and was not selected, okay that's fine. So I check now, the property has sold, and the listing agent was also the selling agent who picked a lower offer than what I had submitted.

e.g I offer $150k and the property sold for $130k.

Is he allowed to do that? My offer was cash, I don't see why he wouldn't pick my offer unless of course he is just a greedy fucker who wanted the full 6% commission instead of just the listing agents commission.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RE legality question. Submitted higher offer on distressed property, and was not selected...
Posted by: Rex Realtor ()
Date: July 19, 2014 11:32PM

It was your turban.

Re: RE legality question. Submitted higher offer on distressed property, and was not selected...
Posted by: heard ()
Date: July 19, 2014 11:40PM

calling out to all VA RE experts Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So I submitted higher offer on distressed
> property, and was not selected, okay that's fine.
> So I check now, the property has sold, and the
> listing agent was also the selling agent who
> picked a lower offer than what I had submitted.
>
> e.g I offer $150k and the property sold for $130k.
>
>
> Is he allowed to do that? My offer was cash, I
> don't see why he wouldn't pick my offer unless of
> course he is just a greedy fucker who wanted the
> full 6% commission instead of just the listing
> agents commission.

legally, the agent has to give every offer to the owner.

Posted by: Been There ()
Date: July 20, 2014 01:16AM

heard Wrote:
>
> legally, the agent has to give every offer to the owner.

Yes indeed. Contact the seller. It costs nothing. Ask whether your offer was presented, then ask why they left money on the table.

Depending on the answers, you might have a claim against the seller's agent.

Posted by: Some Thoughts ()
Date: July 20, 2014 12:28PM

While it does sound fishy, perhaps you had contingencies in your offer that the owner objected to (different inspections, repairs, closing date,...). Or the owner thought he could get more than what you offered, and decided to hold out for a better offer. When that didn't happen, he chose the next reasonable offer that came along. At least try to contact the agent to get her side of the story.

Posted by: Discriminating Home Owner ()
Date: July 20, 2014 01:02PM

Rex Realtor Wrote:
> It was your turban.

Agree 100%

All of our local owners and agents are turban aware and keep us in a turban-free zone. Bet you cash smelled of curry.

Love my neighborhood!!!

Posted by: calling out to all VA RE experts ()
Date: July 20, 2014 01:13PM

@been there - Thanks, I will contact medicaid (It was a medicaid sale) and see what they have to say.

@some thoughts - It was a cash offer, no contingencies, no repairs or inspection. As are all the offers with this type of sale, you cannot finance them due to condition, it was in need of a total rehab.

@discriminating/Rex - Can't be that as my name sounds like any other American name, since I am American. The area the property was located in was far from being a turban-free zone.

I'm going to ask for the rejected offer first, If he cannot provide that, I will contact medicaid.

Posted by: Independent ()
Date: July 20, 2014 01:16PM

Housing discrimination is illegal.

Posted by: Seller ()
Date: July 21, 2014 07:20AM

OP - Were you being a douchebag like Independent? That would explain why the seller didn't want anything to do with you.

Posted by: Helper. ()
Date: July 21, 2014 07:25AM

A seller is entitled to sell their property to whomever they wish for whatever they wish. Oh sure, there's laws against housing discrimination but, unless you're Donald Sterling making it a decades-long business practice to only rent to Koreans...it's very hard to prove.

In the sale of a home, you'd pretty much have to take out an ad or fly a flag on your front lawn stating, "Non-whites need not submit offers."

Posted by: additional information ()
Date: July 21, 2014 08:21AM

It may be true that the seller can sell to whomever he wishes, but the realtor is bound by law. Pretty sure that realtors cannot answer questions about race, etc.

Posted by: yW9vM ()
Date: July 21, 2014 09:21AM

calling out to all VA RE experts Wrote:
> @been there - Thanks, I will contact medicaid (It
> was a medicaid sale) and see what they have to
> say.
>

What's a Medicaid sale? Does it have unusual restrictions or requirements that would come into play?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.