HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why is State Farm insurance refusing to pay for my damages to my car, when their client hit me and kept going?
Posted by: Frustrated Commuter ()
Date: July 09, 2014 08:39AM

I was driving on the south bound lane of I-95 when I noticed a black SUV swerving into my lane. Before I knew it, he bumped the right side of my vehicle and forced me into the HOV lanes pillars. I immediately dialed 911 and told them what happened. I continued to follow the vehicle while telling him to pull over. Needless to say, he kept going and even old me no he was not going to stop. Well I took down his license plate number and gave it to the police dispatcher. My car was a wreck. It was covered in damages from the pillars. The police came out and took my report and cited the man with hit and run and a few other charges. I then took my car to a mechanics shop to get an estimate for his insurance company. Over a month later, I got in touch with his company and sent them a copy of the police report that I paid for.

Now here is the thing. Since this was my only transportation, I took the car to be detailed with helped it look a lot better. I.e. removed the black marks and abrasions. His company came out ( a month later) and took pictures. I then get a call from his agent saying that they are not going to pay for my car because they did not see where his car impacted mine. His insurance company is State Farm. This has caused me a lot of grief. I am not seeking personal damages, like someone else would, I just want my car fixed. So what can I do now? Anyone please help me with this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why is State Farm insurance refusing to pay for my damages to my car, when their client hit me and kept going?
Posted by: asdfasdfafsdafsd ()
Date: July 09, 2014 08:49AM

Do you have pictures of the damage to your car?

Re: Why is State Farm insurance refusing to pay for my damages to my car, when their client hit me and kept going?
Posted by: insurance woes ()
Date: July 09, 2014 08:59AM

The procedure is to notify your insurance as well as theirs. My company gives me the option of them paying then they subrogate against the other company. That is a wonderful option and saves you the hassle of dealing with the other company. You never get your car cleaned up until things are settled, but since you probably already had pictures taken for them when the original estimate was obtained, you probably should have been ok on that.

You can also file a complaint with the state. Or tell State Farm that you are.

State Farm is trying to save themselves money.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Posted by: Chicken Pooper ()
Date: July 09, 2014 09:14AM

To answer your question, "Why is State Farm insurance refusing to pay for my damages to my car, when their client hit me and kept going?" - because they can.

Posted by: Next time... ()
Date: July 09, 2014 09:37AM

let your dog do the driving...
Attachments:
funny-scared-shocked-dog-car-old-woman-senior-citizen-driving-pics.png

Posted by: Sonny Drysdale ()
Date: July 09, 2014 10:32AM

You didn't take pictures before you had the damage repaired?
I smell a scam.

Posted by: 6XtYN ()
Date: July 09, 2014 11:38AM

Frustrated Commuter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> telling him to pull over. Needless to say, he kept
> going and even old me no he was not going to stop.

that's a very serious charge

you'll go to prison if it's not true , if it ends up there's a traffic cam that saw it

Posted by: yhpbx ()
Date: July 09, 2014 11:39AM

(cam that saw you were not forced into pillar)

Posted by: mDnub ()
Date: July 09, 2014 11:40AM

well now you know why going cheap and buying minimal liability isn't the best rule of the road

you might need a witness

Posted by: geocache ()
Date: July 09, 2014 11:44AM

Are you Asian? If so, they will totally NOT believe it is your fault.

Posted by: YXEmM ()
Date: July 09, 2014 12:22PM

> I was driving on the south bound lane of I-95 when
> I noticed a black SUV swerving into my lane.
> Before I knew it, he bumped the right side of my
> vehicle and forced me into the HOV lanes pillars.
> I immediately dialed 911 and told them what
> happened. I continued to follow the vehicle while
> Well I took down his license plate number and gave
> it to the police dispatcher. My car was a wreck.
> It was covered in damages from the pillars. The
> police came out and took my report and cited the
> man with hit and run and a few other charges. I
> then took my car to a mechanics shop to get an
> estimate for his insurance company. Over a month
> later, I got in touch with his company and sent
> them a copy of the police report that I paid for.
>
>
> Now here is the thing. Since this was my only
> transportation, I took the car to be detailed with
> helped it look a lot better. I.e. removed the
> black marks and abrasions. His company came out (
> a month later) and took pictures. I then get a
> call from his agent saying that they are not going
> to pay for my car because they did not see where
> his car impacted mine. His insurance company is
> State Farm. This has caused me a lot of grief. I
> am not seeking personal damages, like someone else
> would, I just want my car fixed. So what can I do
> now? Anyone please help me with this.

You say your car was a wreck. Then you say you had it detailed because it was your only transportation. Was the only "damage" a bumper rub that could be removed by a wash-n-wax? Or did you have body damage repaired at your own expense and then have it detailed? Or what? The insurance company won't pay you for damage that you can't prove. And State Farm and most other big companies will send an adjuster to your home or work at a time convenient for you. You should have taken your own pictures and called your own insurance agent immediately.

Posted by: HU9UH ()
Date: July 09, 2014 12:24PM

If you didn't take pictures, you're only recourse might be to look into obtaining security footage from the mechanic that would have your car and the damage on it, and traffic cams. Pretty stupid for you NOT to take pictures of the car after the accident.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: July 09, 2014 12:28PM

1. State Farm is his insurance company, not yours.

2. State Farm is only obligated to pay you for your damage if their insured is the one who was liable for the accident. That has not been determined yet. A police officer issuing a ticket is not a determination of liability. A guilty verdict in the criminal hit and run trial would not be a determination of civil liability.

3. State Farm is only obligated to pay for the damages caused by their insured. If you get the car repaired before they have had a chance to fully inspect it, that makes it difficult for them to determine that the repairs you made were a result of the accident. They can take your word and your detailer's word for it, but they are not required to do so.

4. You waited a month before contacting his insurance company?!? Did you at least provide prompt notice of the accident to your own insurance company?

Posted by: Fraud Investigation ()
Date: July 09, 2014 01:03PM

OP sounds like a fraudster. Too convenient that he/she has no pics of the damage, and waited so long to raise a stink. Remember, insurance fraud is a serious crime. OP should think about this before pursuing this any further.

Posted by: I Doubt it ()
Date: July 09, 2014 01:50PM

Fraud Investigation Wrote:
> OP sounds like a fraudster. Too convenient that
> he/she has no pics of the damage, and waited so
> long to raise a stink. Remember, insurance fraud
> is a serious crime. OP should think about this
> before pursuing this any further.

I doubt it, if he's got the police report. More likely he's just stupid.

Posted by: Greybeard ()
Date: July 09, 2014 08:11PM

I Doubt it Wrote:
> I doubt it, if he's got the police report. More
> likely he's just stupid.

This.

Posted by: Decrapitated ()
Date: July 09, 2014 08:39PM

Any witnesses? If not it's your word against his and State Farm is going to believe their guy over you every day of the week.

Posted by: missmygranny ()
Date: July 10, 2014 12:37AM

...and twice on Sunday, as my grandmother used to say. She's dead now.

Posted by: ..... ()
Date: July 10, 2014 07:01AM

> I was driving on the south bound lane of I-95 when
> I noticed a black SUV swerving into my lane.
> Before I knew it, he bumped the right side of my
> vehicle and forced me into the HOV lanes pillars.
> I immediately dialed 911 and told them what
> happened. I continued to follow the vehicle while
> Well I took down his license plate number and gave
> it to the police dispatcher. My car was a wreck.
> It was covered in damages from the pillars. The
> police came out and took my report and cited the
> man with hit and run and a few other charges. I
> then took my car to a mechanics shop to get an
> estimate for his insurance company. Over a month
> later, I got in touch with his company and sent
> them a copy of the police report that I paid for.
>
>
> Now here is the thing. Since this was my only
> transportation, I took the car to be detailed with
> helped it look a lot better. I.e. removed the
> black marks and abrasions. His company came out (
> a month later) and took pictures. I then get a
> call from his agent saying that they are not going
> to pay for my car because they did not see where
> his car impacted mine. His insurance company is
> State Farm. This has caused me a lot of grief. I
> am not seeking personal damages, like someone else
> would, I just want my car fixed. So what can I do
> now? Anyone please help me with this.
Attachments:
3e2e07bf40def8d142ac1716937695bf.jpg

Posted by: insurance woes ()
Date: July 10, 2014 07:36AM

If you didn't contact his insurance company for a month, I think you messed up your chances of collecting.

If you didn't contact your insurance company at all, I think you messed up your chances of collecting.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.