HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Local war hero, Col. Gregory Gadson, who appeared in movie to retire from Army
Posted by: Retiring ()
Date: June 23, 2014 08:24AM

Local war hero who appeared in movie to retire from Army

Col. Gregory Gadson says although he plans on retiring from the Army this year after 25 years of service, he will continue to share his life and make a difference.
http://www.wtop.com/149/3648908/Local-war-hero-who-appeared-in-movie-to-retire-from-Army

WASHINGTON -- There will be a change of command at Fort Belvoir as a war hero hands over the reins.

Col. Gregory Gadson is handing over the garrison command after two years. He'll be honored Wednesday during a ceremony.

Gadson says although he plans on retiring from the Army this year after 25 years of service, he will continue to share his life and make a difference.

Before taking command at Fort Belvoir, he headed up the Army's Wounded Warrior program for two years. He wanted to be a quiet example to those who were going through the same experience he already endured.

In 2007, the colonel was seriously injured in Iraq while returning from a memorial service for two soldiers. His truck was hit by an IED; he lost both of his legs above the knee.

"Without saying anything, I could just say there's life after injury and that you can come out on the other side," Gadson says. "Don't be afraid to ask for help since you can't do this alone."

Gadson says he owes his resolve to faith, family and friends.

"I refused to let my injuries define me because of their love, unconditional love by my family. They didn't view me any differently; I was still Greg," he says.

He says he experienced struggles, but "faith allowed me to accept what happened ... and [in] doing so, I healed and was able to move forward."

Gadson is also a movie star, of sorts. He appeared in the sci-fi movie "Battleship."

The colonel has been deployed to serve in every major conflict in the last 20 years. But what he's proudest of during his 25 years of military service is being commander of the 2nd Battalion, 32 Field Artillery, and the Proud Americans.

That battalion didn't exist before August 2005.

"We stood that battalion up," Gadson says. "It was a real special experience to grow a battalion and take it to combat, and everyone came back alive."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Local war hero, Col. Gregory Gadson, who appeared in movie to retire from Army
Posted by: confirm? ()
Date: June 23, 2014 09:46AM

I believe he was a West Point football player in the 80's?

Re: Local war hero, Col. Gregory Gadson, who appeared in movie to retire from Army
Posted by: Picture of Him ()
Date: June 24, 2014 07:20AM

Here's a picture of him...

Col. Gregory Gadson
Attachments:
351820.jpg

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.