HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
SILVERLINE UPDATE - Start date set on Metro Silver Line service in VA on 7/26
Posted by: Silver Line News ()
Date: June 23, 2014 01:42PM

Start date set on Metro Silver Line service in Va.
http://www.wtop.com/120/3649248/Start-date-set-on-Metro-Silver-Line-service-in-Va

McLEAN, Va. (AP) -- After decades of planning, delays and blown budget projections, Metro officials said they expect a $2.9 billion segment of a new Silver Line serving northern Virginia to open next month.

On a conference call with reporters Monday, Metro General Manager Richard Sarles said enough progress has been made to safely project July 26 as the date the five new stations will open.

The line runs through Tysons Corner from Reston to Falls Church on a route that roughly parallels the Dulles Toll Road. Preliminary work has begun on a second phase that will extend the line to Dulles International Airport.

Regional planners had sought the Metrorail extension for decades. Ten years ago, when planning began in earnest, officials believed the line would cost $1.5 billion and be finished by 2009.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SILVERLINE UPDATE - Start date set on Metro Silver Line service in VA on 7/26
Posted by: Tyson's Engineer! ()
Date: June 23, 2014 01:47PM

the line would cost $1.5 billion and be finished by 2009

Missed that one by about a mile.

Re: SILVERLINE UPDATE - Start date set on Metro Silver Line service in VA on 7/26
Posted by: obsession by calvin klein ()
Date: June 23, 2014 01:59PM

Tyson's Engineer! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the line would cost $1.5 billion and be finished
> by 2009
>
>
>
> Missed that one by about a mile.

You disagree with him. Some of us don't.

Posted by: Ghost of Bob Bruhns ()
Date: June 23, 2014 02:01PM

Tysons Engineer ragged on how the project would be in on time by Janauary remember? And I always said it would be summer. Even though I'm dead, I'm still on top of this.

Posted by: A fan of TE ()
Date: June 23, 2014 02:07PM

Ghost of Bob Bruhns Wrote:
> Tysons Engineer ragged on how the project would be
> in on time by Janauary remember? And I always said
> it would be summer. Even though I'm dead, I'm
> still on top of this.

He also said he doesn't work for MWAA and was guessing just like everyone else. He and Bobs actually discussed a lot of this stuff before Bob passed, for the most part it was you, pretending to be Bob, which annoyed both of them from what I remember.

Posted by: leaving this here ()
Date: June 23, 2014 02:11PM

https://twitter.com/BobBruhns/status/407992134294200320

Bob Bruhns

@TheTysonsCorner By the way someone was spoofing my name on Fairfaxunderground, wasn't me attacking Tysons Engineer. Not sure it was even TE

Date: June 23, 2014 03:00PM

leaving this here Wrote:
> https://twitter.com/BobBruhns/status/4079921342942
> 00320
>
>
> Bob Bruhns
>
> @TheTysonsCorner By the way someone was spoofing
> my name on Fairfaxunderground, wasn't me attacking
> Tysons Engineer. Not sure it was even TE

Ah, but it was copied directly from Bob's blog, but that's true it might not have been the "real" tysons engineer.

Date: June 23, 2014 03:10PM

Ghost of Bob Bruhns Wrote:
> leaving this here Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> https://twitter.com/BobBruhns/status/4079921342942
>
> > 00320
> >
> >
> > Bob Bruhns
> >
> > @TheTysonsCorner By the way someone was
> spoofing
> > my name on Fairfaxunderground, wasn't me
> attacking
> > Tysons Engineer. Not sure it was even TE
>
> Ah, but it was copied directly from Bob's blog,
> but that's true it might not have been the "real"
> tysons engineer.

I wouldn't go that far, pretty sure it was TE, but Bob and him got along after you trolled it based on Bob's twitter feed atleast. You seem pretty obsessed with the issue. Considering TE has nothing to do with the project, and isn't a booster for metro or MWAA its kind of weird you keep imitating him, and Bob for that matter. I think its particularly rude you continue to impersonate Bob, why don't you learn from Bob's legacy and actually try to fix problems locally under your own identity instead of being some anonymous troll copy paste job?

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: June 23, 2014 03:40PM

A fan of TE Wrote:
> Considering TE has
> nothing to do with the project, and isn't a
> booster for metro or MWAA

That all depends on how you define "booster". If you followed him on his Tysons website it was clear that he was a strong believer in a Greater Tysons, and Metro, or more specifically a certain kind of Metrorail, was definitely a big part of the picture.

In fairness to Tysons Engineer, his view of what the Silver Line should be differs from what MWAA and Metro have planned. However he was such a big champion of the idea of Metro service to Tysons Corner here that he has become the straw man for those on this website who oppose the project.

Date: June 23, 2014 04:56PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> A fan of TE Wrote:
> -----
> > Considering TE has
> > nothing to do with the project, and isn't a
> > booster for metro or MWAA
>
> That all depends on how you define "booster". If
> you followed him on his Tysons website it was
> clear that he was a strong believer in a Greater
> Tysons, and Metro, or more specifically a certain
> kind of Metrorail, was definitely a big part of
> the picture.
>
> In fairness to Tysons Engineer, his view of what
> the Silver Line should be differs from what MWAA
> and Metro have planned. However he was such a big
> champion of the idea of Metro service to Tysons
> Corner here that he has become the straw man for
> those on this website who oppose the project.

I read his website pretty frequently and follow his twitter. He attacks metro's incompetence and culture of waste on a fairly frequent basis. I don't think supporting transit makes you a booster for metro, but that does atleast explain this ghost of guy constantly imitating both Bob and TE.

Date: June 24, 2014 06:43AM

A fan of TE Wrote:
> Bill.N. Wrote:
> -----
> > A fan of TE Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Considering TE has
> > > nothing to do with the project, and isn't a
> > > booster for metro or MWAA
> >
> > That all depends on how you define "booster".
> If
> > you followed him on his Tysons website it was
> > clear that he was a strong believer in a
> Greater
> > Tysons, and Metro, or more specifically a
> certain
> > kind of Metrorail, was definitely a big part of
> > the picture.
> >
> > In fairness to Tysons Engineer, his view of
> what
> > the Silver Line should be differs from what
> MWAA
> > and Metro have planned. However he was such a
> big
> > champion of the idea of Metro service to Tysons
> > Corner here that he has become the straw man
> for
> > those on this website who oppose the project.
>
> I read his website pretty frequently and follow
> his twitter. He attacks metro's incompetence and
> culture of waste on a fairly frequent basis. I
> don't think supporting transit makes you a booster
> for metro, but that does atleast explain this
> ghost of guy constantly imitating both Bob and TE.

The Ghost of Bob Bruhns never imitated Tysons Engineer, only Bob. Those were Bob's direct words too from his blogs, so your point is pretty pointless.

Updated: Fairfax officials laud planned debut of Silver Line
Posted by: ywWHY ()
Date: June 24, 2014 06:44AM

Updated: Fairfax officials laud planned debut of Silver Line
http://www.insidenova.com/news/arlington/updated-fairfax-officials-laud-planned-debut-of-silver-line/article_7af81120-fae9-11e3-97ea-001a4bcf887a.html

Fairfax County leaders scarcely could contain their joy June 23 after Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) officials announced that the first phase of Metrorail’s long-delayed Silver Line would begin operations July 26.

“This is terrific news,” Board of Supervisors Chairman Sharon Bulova (D) said in a statement relayed by a spokesman. “I am excited for the Silver Line to open on July 26. I look forward to attending the opening event and being one of the first riders.”

Supervisor Linda Smyth (D-Providence) was even more effusive.

“My reaction is something along the lines of ‘Hallelujah! At last!’” she said. “It’s finally going to happen. I feel like pinching myself.”

The summertime debut will allow Metrorail officials to work out any potential Silver Line kinks during a slow travel season, then pick up full-steam in the fall, Smyth said.

For their part, Fairfax County officials must set in motion long-planned Connector Bus routes to ferry passengers to and from the new Metrorail stations, she said.

Supervisor Catherine Hudgins (D-Hunter Mill) said the Silver Line’s impending debut is the culmination of decades of hard work.

“This opening is a testament to the ingenuity of the entire Washington metropolitan area,” Hudgins said in a media statement. “The people of the Hunter Mill District are pleased to hear this good news after decades of waiting for this transit option in our community.”

Supervisor John Foust (D-Dranesville) said he was “very excited” the Silver Line finally would begin running.

“It was a long, difficult process, but it was worth the effort,” Foust said. “From transportation, environmental and economic-development standpoints, it’s a game-changer for our region.”

The five new Silver Line stations – including four in Tysons Corner – will open to customers at noon on July 26.

“The first Silver Line train will depart Wiehle-Reston East, bound for Largo Town Center, at that time,” Metro general manager and CEO Richard Sarles said in a media statement.

The opening-date announcement follows two weeks’ worth of progress by the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) and its contractor to resolve open work items, WMATA officials said. Some remaining items, such as obtaining certificates of occupancy, will be finished before Silver Line service begins, they said.

Silver Line trains will operate between Reston and Largo at the same frequency as most other lines. During rush hours, trains will run every six minutes; at off-peak times, trains will run every 12 to 20 minutes.

To confirm schedules and finalize employees’ familiarization with the new line, Metro officials will conduct a week of “simulated service” beginning Sunday, July 20. During this period, Silver Line trains without passengers will run to and from the five new stations. The “simulation” trains will carry passengers between East Falls Church and Largo Town Center, however, officials said.

The new Silver Line service will bring trains more frequently at all times to stations from East Falls Church to Court House at all times; stations from Rosslyn to Stadium-Armory in Washington, D.C., will have more frequent service outside of rush hours.

Blue Line trains will operate every 12 minutes at all times of the day. During rush hours, trains at Vienna, Dunn Loring and West Falls Church will arrive and depart every six minutes.

Riders can check fares and travel times and learn more about the Silver Line project by visiting www.silverlinemetro.com.

Metro took control of the first phase of the Silver Line May 27. This “operational readiness date” marked the point where MWAA officials formally transferred care and control of the line to Metro.

Michael Caplin, executive director of the Tysons Partnership, said his organization will begin preparations promptly for the Silver Line’s opening ceremony and will ensure that sufficient signage is in place to welcome the new riders.

“Needless to say, we are very excited that Silver line service will start and let people from around the D.C. area come see the excitement in Tysons,” Caplin said. “Everyone now has to recalibrate their to-do list, because we have a fresh target. Everyone’s smiling, but it’s a busy day.”

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.