HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pediatricians
Posted by: Vienna Res ()
Date: February 13, 2009 12:39PM

I am sick of my kids Pediatrician and I want to change them. Any recommendation of the best in the area (Vienna, Tyson’s, McLean).

What bugs the crap out of me with our current Pediatrician is he charges for just about anything. I think something’s such as filling out forms for immunization or copying of a file from the records are just what Pediatricians do and should not be a separate charge a la' carte like you are ordering at a restaurant. Is this normal for this area? Is this what other practices do? I grew up near Chicago and I don't think this is normal for the mid-west.

I mean if this guy was a dentist I think he would charge me extra to spit? And you could forget about the free toothbrush! Any thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pediatricians
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: February 13, 2009 12:44PM

Dr John Farrell in Reston, but some of the things you are asking about are semantics I don't care about. I just think he's a good doctor who doesn't fuck around and do unnecessary shit.

Posted by: TomMadison ()
Date: February 13, 2009 01:31PM

I think that you are going to find that more and more medical offices, no matter what specialty, are not charging for what in the past were "courtesy" services like copying records and completing school physical forms. With managed care reimbursement rates getting squeezed this is a way for them to cover a portion of their administrative costs. In the grand scheme of things I don't see this as a reason to leave a practice that you otherwise like. If the doctors and staff treat you well and respect your time, why change?

My wife and daughters followed our PCP from Heritage Family Practice to Rocky Run and it hardly seems worth it. They can rarely get an appointment with less than a week's notice and the staff is surly and less than helpful. This was never an issue at Heritage and we were more than happy to pay $10 to have a camp physical form filled out sine it was done quickly and without any additional effort on our part.

Posted by: TheMexican ()
Date: February 13, 2009 01:56PM

We go to vienna pediatrics. The doctors are good, but it is overy crowded and expect to wait at least 30 to 45 minutes after your appt time to see a doctor. Front office are idiots and treat everyone like a potential con artist, but that is par for the course.

One positive though is that they hold enough open slots to allow same-day emergency visits.

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: February 13, 2009 02:06PM

Northern Virginia Pediatrics in Falls Church is where I went when I was a wee lad.

Posted by: FFXLAXWife9 ()
Date: February 13, 2009 09:55PM

I take my son to Northern Virginia Pediatrics, and I really love them. Only bad thing is the parking at the Fairfax Office. It's located off of 50 and Prosperity.

Posted by: The best ()
Date: February 14, 2009 01:53AM

Is Paul Schweisthal at Vienna Pediatrics, if you are lucky enough to get an appointment with him. He's great with kids, and parents, and knows everything about kids and their illnesses.

Posted by: Space Ghost ()
Date: February 14, 2009 04:19AM

The best Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Paul Schweisthal at Vienna Pediatrics, if you
> are lucky enough to get an appointment with him.
> He's great with kids, and parents, and knows
> everything about kids and their illnesses.

Damn, I had him as a kid. He must be pretty old if he's still practicing,

Posted by: seriously ()
Date: February 14, 2009 07:07AM

Dr. Evan Karp at Vienna Pediatrics is the best Ped we've ever had. 703 938 2244.... they do charge for forms, though... I think it's the normal standard of care now, sadly.

Posted by: Another Vienna Res ()
Date: February 14, 2009 08:45AM

Dr. Karp is the man...

I did not initially recommend him, because it sounded like his practice group was the one that you wanted to leave (they charge for some admin stuff, as noted above). Sleepy Hollow Pediatrics over in Falls Church is part of the same overall group (Capital Area Pediatrics), and has great pediatricians as well.

Posted by: Vienna Mom of four ()
Date: February 15, 2009 10:16PM

Dr. Schweisthal is still practicing but only a couple of days a week. He's around 60-65, and the best pediatrician we've ever had, over 5 states, and lots of doctors. It's very hard to get and appointment with him because he's not there everyday and so many people want to book with him.

Posted by: Vienna Pediarics ()
Date: February 16, 2009 12:17PM

Dr Morris from Vienna Pediatrics is great and they are open late and have weekend appts as well.

Posted by: yesa ()
Date: February 16, 2009 01:07PM

Kaiser

Posted by: asss ()
Date: February 16, 2009 07:10PM

Inova

Posted by: Bob in Southeast Loudoun ()
Date: February 17, 2009 03:46PM

"Dr John Farrell in Reston, but some of the things you are asking about are semantics I don't care about. I just think he's a good doctor who doesn't fuck around and do unnecessary shit."

We take our kids to Dr John too (his South Riding office). They get good care from his team.

Posted by: mikumsmukim ()
Date: February 17, 2009 04:46PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dr John Farrell in Reston, but some of the things
> you are asking about are semantics I don't care
> about. I just think he's a good doctor who
> doesn't fuck around and do unnecessary shit.

Semantics
Main Entry:
se·man·tics
Pronunciation:
\si-ˈman-tiks\
Function:
noun plural but singular or plural in construction
Date:

1: the study of meanings: a: the historical and psychological study and the classification of changes in the signification of words or forms viewed as factors in linguistic development b (1): semiotic (2): a branch of semiotic dealing with the relations between signs and what they refer to and including theories of denotation, extension, naming, and truth 2: general semantics3 a: the meaning or relationship of meanings of a sign or set of signs ; especially : connotative meaning b: the language used (as in advertising or political propaganda) to achieve a desired effect on an audience especially through the use of words with novel or dual meanings

i drink your milkshake

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 04:46PM by mikumsmukim.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.