HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
HDMI Cables
Posted by: ascorbic ()
Date: February 12, 2009 03:00PM

Are there any places nearby to buy HDMI cables on the cheap. I know theyre crazy cheap online, but I need one tonight. I was hoping to spend 20-25 bucks, and stay within 30min of the Chantilly area.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: HDMI Cables
Posted by: TheMexican ()
Date: February 12, 2009 03:06PM

Try Walmart, I think they are $19 there.

Posted by: TomMadison ()
Date: February 12, 2009 03:20PM

What size do you need? I have a 3' foot cable still in the package that you are welcome to have for $10. I live about 5 minutes from GMU. Send me a PM if interested.

FWIW, Monoprice (http://wwww.monoprice.com) is awesome for stuff like this. Most of what you can get at retail is way overpriced. Don't pay extra for brand names like Belden and Monster.

Posted by: Merritt ()
Date: February 12, 2009 03:24PM

I went to Microcenter in PanAm shopping center (Rt 29/ Nutley). Purchased a 6-foot HDMI cable made by Cables Unlimited for about $28.

Posted by: ZeeD ()
Date: February 12, 2009 03:42PM

There is a wholesale place called HT Depot in Chantilly they sell it for $ 6 each...cash only..

Date: February 12, 2009 04:03PM

Merritt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I went to Microcenter in PanAm shopping center (Rt
> 29/ Nutley). Purchased a 6-foot HDMI cable made
> by Cables Unlimited for about $28.

Monoprice...$3.56 (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=4026&seq=1&format=2).

I realize it doesn't matter if you need the cable RIGHT NOW, but they will save you a ton of money if you are outfitting a home theater. Wall mounts are an especially good deal.

Posted by: Merritt ()
Date: February 12, 2009 05:20PM

Wow. Well I sure could have saved some money....

Though when I bought mine, I had the 'right now' need- everything else was hooked up except the HDMI's.....

So yeah, next time I need cables I'll order elsewhere, but I don't think I got too badly ripped off. Hell, $28 is a lot better than $80+ for monster cable....

Date: February 12, 2009 05:39PM

Merritt Wrote:
> So yeah, next time I need cables I'll order
> elsewhere, but I don't think I got too badly
> ripped off. Hell, $28 is a lot better than $80+
> for monster cable....

True...but $28 is 7x more than what I paid. I actually bought extra stuff on my last order "just in case" so that could save on shipping and still saved a ton. Some items like subwoofer cables are hard to find locally and Monoprice has no shortage of odd items at similarly good prices. The wall mount for my 50" plasma was $30 vs. $90-150. Optical and digital cables are dirt cheap and speaker wire...well it is worth the paying the shipping cost.

I actually thought about doing home theater installations as a side business since most of these companies charge a fortune for parts.

Posted by: yes sir ()
Date: February 12, 2009 08:21PM

monster cables are a waste of money

Posted by: newgg ()
Date: February 16, 2009 01:11PM

Newegg = dirt cheap

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 16, 2009 05:16PM

newgg Wrote:
> Newegg = dirt cheap

no, sometimes they have the best deal but many times they dont. if you check google shopping you can find the lowest price. http://www.google.com/products?q=hdmi+cable&oe=utf-8&hl=en&scoring=p

the best i found was from buy.com -- $6 (shipping included) http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210727455&listingid=37773165&dcaid=17902

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Date: February 16, 2009 06:14PM

Gravis Wrote:
> the best i found was from buy.com -- $6 (shipping
> included)
> http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=21072745
> 5&listingid=37773165&dcaid=17902

If you are looking for a single cable, this is a better deal given the shipping, but I still think that Monoprice is the best all around deal if you need a lot of items or things that are not going to be on mainstream sites like buy.com.

Posted by: einteinssd ()
Date: February 16, 2009 07:07PM

Buy at Best Buy its the cheapest

Posted by: 124C41 ()
Date: February 16, 2009 07:17PM

Sunday'sTarget ad had HDMI cable for less than $15. This price is a good one, considering how much Radio Shack charges.

Posted by: anonymous3 ()
Date: February 16, 2009 07:17PM

Believe it or not.... apple has some 20 belkin HDMI cables and dvi - hdmi cables. There white tho :-/

Posted by: guru ()
Date: February 16, 2009 07:43PM

Monoprice is good for most cables. If you need an HDMI get it from Amazon.Com.

6 foot HDMI cable $4.51 shipped. They ship fast too. I've bought 3-4 of them.

http://www.amazon.com/Hdmi-Feet-Super-Resolution-Cable/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1234831266&sr=8-1

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: February 16, 2009 07:58PM

guru Wrote:
> If you need an HDMI get it from Amazon.Com.
>
> 6 foot HDMI cable $4.51 shipped. They ship fast
> too.

NICE!

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: HIJACKER ()
Date: February 16, 2009 09:13PM

www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com

Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: February 17, 2009 09:39AM

You do realize that a coathanger works just as good and it's free?

http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables

But really... you can but a spec 1.3b hdmi cable on ebay for like $3 a pop. I bought 10 hdmi cables a while back for less than ONE cable costs at walmart.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 09:42AM by nakedshoplifter.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: February 17, 2009 09:58AM

I've never seen a coathanger with an HDMI pin set, could you show me this product so I can save money too?

Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: February 17, 2009 10:27AM

Well, I was being sarcastic, the Monster Cable test was for audio. But in a nutshell, you can spend $3 or $100 on an HDMI cable, but you won't see ANY difference.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: February 17, 2009 11:56AM

I paid 6 for mine I think, works fine. The hdmi port itself is crap and a pin is out of place, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 11:57AM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: Tosnos ()
Date: September 24, 2019 03:21PM

The cable for subwoofer is adjustable and flexible, easy to install. It comes with a soft PVC jacket, being fast to plug and play. In-wall installation is also acceptable and safe. Additionally, it is compatible with various video and audio systems, for example, stereo receivers, subwoofers that are equipped with RCA ports.
The users commonly like it, admitting that the cable sends a strong signal to the speakers or a subwoofer. Some of them boast that the cable improves the response and the sound quality, eliminating hum and the terrible buzzing sound that could annoy you. With the best subwoofer RCA cable, the noise is gone and the bass audio is distortion-free https://theguruchoice.com/cables/best-subwoofer-cable/ .

Posted by: FFXU Ombudsman ()
Date: September 24, 2019 08:14PM

Why would anyone provide an answer to a technical question posed TEN years ago???

Who is possibly monitoring the original post??

I know for a fact, that 87% of all posts made in 2009 were made by postera who have since diedb of syphilis, AIDS, the bird flu or e-coli!!!

But thanks, anyway.

Posted by: 3erffede ()
Date: September 25, 2019 02:56AM

ascorbic Wrote:
> Are there any places nearby to buy HDMI cables on
> the cheap. I know theyre crazy cheap online, but
> I need one tonight. I was hoping to spend 20-25
> bucks, and stay within 30min of the Chantilly
> area.

NO THEY ARE NOT

the ones you see are made in china and nearly guaranteed to NOT SUPPORT the "connection rating" of the real ones

(speed rating) makes a difference

you would get a $2 cable and get the wrong one can't send it back (shipping too high)

you'd then get a $8 cable and find it doesn't support 4k even though that term was "used in the ad"

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.