HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Selling My Condo In Fairfax City, Should I Make All New?
Posted by: howaboutit ()
Date: May 05, 2014 02:13PM

I'm selling my condo in Fairfax City. We've kept the place nice but have been here for years, a lot of things aren't "perfect". Some things are O-K for us but, used and personal.
Every unit around here sells with new everything. Or at least, almost new everything.
It seems to me that these sellers are only getting exactly what they paid for back in the sale. If I were buying why would I want to pay for new carpeting, paint, flooring, cabinets, etc... that I didn't get to pick out? I'd rather choose my own colors, the quality I want to pay for, or not pay for.
This is a low $300k range 2 bedroom condo. Why do we need to turn all the affordable housing in the area as luxury as possible. People with lower incomes deserve home ownership to.
A cut of $10,000 means a huge difference to people in this price range.

As far as my realtors portfolio, the property tax etc... I do not need to drive up prices and ego.

I simply wish to sell my place as is with in complete equality as to which I would receive had I changed everything, is this possible?

Are new home-owners that lazy and unimaginative- really?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Selling My Condo In Fairfax City, Should I Make All New?
Posted by: iTroll! ()
Date: May 05, 2014 02:36PM

Yes, most prospective homeowners have zero imagination. That's why you have to make it appear perfect. They would discount your home for the smallest of all reasons. And often those are things they can fix or change anyhow.

I would suggest you get some input from your listing agent and do a little more research online, more than just feeding us trolls.

Posted by: Real(ty) Talk ()
Date: May 05, 2014 02:55PM

Real estate agents will always tell you to do it. That's because it makes their job easier, they're not the ones putting out the cash, and they benefit from any incremental increase in selling price. It may help a property sell somewhat faster if you're under some time pressure to sell.

Financially, at least in most cases, it's a questionable way to go. Most properties don't benefit enough dollar-wise to actually cover the cost.

If you have to do it in order to sell, then it makes sense. If not, then much less so. You can always try to sell as is with less expensive fix-ups and if you have to do more from there then you can. On the other hand, you can't go back if you do the work and then don't get what you want out of it.

Posted by: ghrfehgrd ()
Date: May 05, 2014 03:22PM

Also something to think about, since you're selling a condo around 300K, your biggest buyer demographic is going to be young adults/first time home buyers who probably won't have tons of upfront cash to make such renovations since most of their cash is going towards their down payment.

Majority of buyers are looking for move in ready.

Posted by: adriver ()
Date: May 05, 2014 04:11PM

ghrfehgrd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Majority of buyers are looking for move in ready.

+1

Posted by: tWt4n ()
Date: May 05, 2014 04:21PM

The smallest budget should at least start with some mulch (for the outside) and some caulk (for the inside). For both of these, a little work goes a long way.

Posted by: eLester ()
Date: May 05, 2014 04:22PM

Your two points of concern y are how much will I get for it and how long will it take to sell, both of which are influenced by the condition of the property. It'll be easier to get the money back on the upgrades if you make the changes before you go on the market and not as a response to the condo listing getting stale.

Posted by: Some Thoughts ()
Date: May 05, 2014 05:12PM

"I simply wish to sell my place as is with in complete equality as to which I would receive had I changed everything, is this possible?"

No, of course not. Why would someone buy your dated property for the same price as one that had been completely renovated? That makes no sense.

You have a choice to make. You can put your property on the market in its current condition, recognizing that the pool of interested buyers will much smaller and that you will probably receive low-ball offers which reflect more than just the cost of upgrades (which will be a lot more than 10k...and people will figure in a cost for time and aggravation, plus what they assume to be your desperation).

Or you can do a complete remodel, which should significantly reduce the days on market and should result in a much higher price.

Or you can do something in between - a moderate fix up, focusing on the most important things to buyers. You should first look at cleaning and decluttering - which costs almost nothing. The place needs to be immaculate. Personal items (photos, religious things, etc.) need to go, as well as excess furnishings and any stuff that screams 'dated' (e.g., floral sofa). Fix anything that's broken. Paint the property (yourself - several hundred dollars; a professional - several thousand). If the floors are grungy and cleaning doesn't help, replace them (carpet is fairly cheap). If your window coverings are dated or ugly, get rid of them. You can get inexpensive custom wood blinds at Home Depot.

After that, it's a judgement call. People can probably live with older cabinets and countertops (within reason) if the appliances are new (or newer). You can resurface a bathtub for around $500. You can replace a vanity with top and other bathroom fixtures (faucet, tp holder, etc.) for less than $1,000 (materials only). New light fixtures are relatively inexpensive (although installation can get costly).

If I were you, I would bring in a home stager to look at the property and advise you on the most cost effective way to proceed. A consultation should cost from $100-$300 and is well worth it. They'll tell you what I just did, but they will have recommendations specific to your property. They will also probably have recommendations for the trades.

Date: May 05, 2014 08:51PM

tWt4n Wrote:
> The smallest budget should at least start with
> some mulch (for the outside) and some caulk (for
> the inside). For both of these, a little work goes
> a long way.

Mulch? Really - where? Caulk? I bought caulk, and ecru carpet. ( Talk about caulk, private schools in New York City charge $60k a year so the kids can paint the walls all day long).. Talk about remaining a child in part- the greatest have always done so....

Date: May 05, 2014 08:53PM

iTroll! Wrote:
> Yes, most prospective homeowners have zero
> imagination. That's why you have to make it appear
> perfect. They would discount your home for the
> smallest of all reasons. And often those are
> things they can fix or change anyhow.
>
> I would suggest you get some input from your
> listing agent and do a little more research
> online, more than just feeding us trolls.

A little but of paranoia will save you, a lot will destroy...
Is this a realtor fluffing my ego and insulting it at the same time?

Posted by: SKRRRR ()
Date: May 05, 2014 08:54PM

A 2br Condo eh, spend about $1k - $2k in cosmetic upgrades.

DoorKnobAfterGraphicsFairyDIY.jpg

+

Cabinet Handles

+ Paint

+

a new light fixture

+ a good cleaning of your carpet, or re-grouting of tile

Date: May 05, 2014 10:00PM

To SKRRRR: My Thanks to you, common sense is within your grasp. The color in your photo is the same exact as my neighbor whom has her's for sale. " Look, I'm not white, I'm multi-cultural" I expect to see the same color in many homes for sale. Kind of like the one red ( kind of nice until it attacked) room-yikes... good advice nonetheless - Thanks...

Move In Ready Responses, Really isn't it their tough luck that they have caviar taste w/ pizza taste, two degrees, two workers and no money? Go pay $2,000 a month rent or come here if you have the credit. There resides like umm- 3 on the market like here...And, you won't afford a house until you're 40, or ever. They have a way of sticking around here.

Some Thoughts- The best post.,,, I have given your post some thought ( and the most) yet, it deserves more to comment, Thanks for the consideration...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.