HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Tax hike another sign of broken system
Posted by: Frank Medico ()
Date: May 03, 2014 05:07AM

Tax hike another sign of broken system
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/article/20140502/OPINION/140509938/1065/tax-hike-another-sign-of-broken-system&template=fairfaxTimes

Well, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors did it again. More taxing and spending.

Board Chairman Sharon Bulova in her Bulova Byline FY 2015 budget summary states “It has been a long and winding road as our nation, region and county have struggled throughout these sluggish post recession years.” So what does the Board do to ease the financial pain of struggling taxpayers?

The Board, consisting of Chairman Bulova (D), John Cook (R), John Foust (D), Mike Frey (R), Penny Gross (D), Pat Herrity (R),Gerry Hyland (D), Cathy Hudgins (D), Jeff McKay (D), and Linda Smyth (D), voted 7 to 3 (Herrity, Cook and Smyth) to increase the real estate tax rate to $1.09 per $100 of assessed value, increasing taxes on the average homeowner by $25. That is in addition to the $330 increase in real estate taxes on the average homeowner because the assessments increased in 2014. But, that wasn’t enough. The Board by a 7 to 3 vote (Herrity, Cook, Smyth) also raised seven fees including the sewer tax and the sick tax for ambulance service ranging from $100 to $150 per trip depending on the transport type. Also, a transport fee increased from $10 to $12 per mile. And they passed a motion to form a committee to come up with recommendations for a meals tax referendum. The last time I checked the County had over 100 taxes and fees. It looks like there is no let up.

While taxes and fees are raised, the Board is not too careful about spending. Some examples: The Board passed on a 9 to 1 (Herrity) vote a $30 million bank bailout to pay off an unsecured loan belonging to Lorton Arts Foundation, taxpayer subsidized housing includes units in a plush neighborhood where housing units sell from $850 to over $1 million with a resort style swimming pool, executive business center with computer printers and internet access, billiard room, heated spa, clubroom with big screen TV and 24 hour athletic center. And, in November 2013 the Board paid out over $10 million for bonuses to employees regardless of whether the employee excelled or not. And, if that isn’t enough, the Fairfax County Public School System spends $39 million or more on English as a second language for undocumented (illegal) aliens. It isn’t clear how many years English as a second language is taught before the students have learned English to complete their education. The goal should be to have such students become part of the student body speaking English as soon as possible. That is good for the school system and particularly for the affected students who will proceed to further their education or pursue a career of some sort. Graduation and dropout rates are significant issues because the affected students involved haven’t received an education.

School transfer funds is a significant part of the Fairfax County FY 2015 budget, about $2 billion or 52.1 percent of the proposed FY 2015 county budget expenditures, according to the County Executive. Although the Board of Supervisors (BOS) doesn’t have direct authority over the Fairfax County Public School System policies and personnel, the BOS should exercise influence on the School Board to make improvements and not provide money blindly. The students deserve better.

There are many more examples of questionable spending that I have provided to the BOS but, except for a generalized email response from Chairman Bulova, no one else has responded.

Contact your Supervisor and make a difference. Call the Clerk of the Board at 703-324-3151 for supervisors’ phone numbers.

Frank Medico, Mount Vernon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tax hike another sign of broken system
Posted by: But ()
Date: May 03, 2014 07:49AM

I'd be curious to see what that tax rates are in other wealthy municipalities, and see how they line up with services provided. I suspect that Fairfax residents are getting a pretty damn good return for the taxes they pay.

Anyone have any stats? From a reputable source?

Posted by: Take it all ()
Date: May 03, 2014 08:23AM

Now I know whom NOT to vote for next election time. We need to clean house.

Date: May 03, 2014 09:51AM

Ok, so I did a little research. Found Forbes' 10 most wealthy counties 2014, and looked up real estate tax rates v. Median income. Also decided to look up a few local municipalities that did not make the list, and show their real estate tax rates:

1. Falls Church City. Median income $121,250, RE Tax rate $1.27 per $100
2. Loudoun. Median income $118,934. RE tax rate $1.205 per $100
3. Los Alamos NM median income $112,115. Re taxes determined by zones, couldn't find average
4. Howard Co MD. Median income $108,234. rE tax rate $1.014 per $100
5. Fairfax. Median income $106,690. RE tax rate $1.09 per $100
6. Hunterton Co. NJ. Median income $103,301. RE tax rate $1.7-$$3.367 per $100, depending on township
7. Arlington. Median income $99,255. RE tax rate $1.006 per $100.
8. Douglas Co, CO. Median income $101,108 ...couldn't find much data at all! You try. :)
9. Stafford. Median income $95,927. RE tax rate $1.019 per $100.
10. Somerset, NJ. Median income $95,574. RE taxes $1.297-3.241 per $100, depending on township.

Some other localities, that weren't on the top 10:

Alexandria. Median income $83,996. RE tax rate 1.238 per $100
Montgomery MD median income $96,985. RE tax rate $0.8104-$1.381, depending on town
Prince William. Median income $96,160. RE tax rate $1.196 per $100
PG co, MD. Median income $73,568. RE tax rate $1.088-$1.614, depending on town

Date: May 03, 2014 10:13AM

Caveat: Alexandria, MOCO, PG, and Prince William I used latest census bureau median income from 2012, but the tax rates are up to date. Just in case some people are scratching head as to why MOCO and PW aren't in the 2014 top 10.

Posted by: I am sure ()
Date: May 03, 2014 11:13AM

All the fault of the Re(publican)tards

Posted by: TXmUD ()
Date: May 03, 2014 11:52AM

Outrageous, we have mid-range tax rate compared to surrounding municipalities. Thanks Obama!

Posted by: better explanation needed ()
Date: May 03, 2014 12:35PM

When you compare our real estate taxes, you need to also state the median and mean house values. That makes a difference regarding the total taxes paid. For example, Prince William has a higher real estate tax rate, but houses are valued at less there so the total amount paid may be less (or it may be the same, but we can't tell without the value information). Arlington has a lower tax rate, but many homes there are priced higher so that is a pretty impressive tax rate if you think about it. It very well may be that they have fewer school age children per household there (or something else?). Howard County also seems to have an impressive tax rate, but maybe the state of Maryland is kicking in more for the schools. It's hard to know what is going on without more information. When you compare across states, you need to know the state taxing structure as well in order to compare total tax liability.

What people do know here is that the property taxes are rising due to both property value increases and an increase voted on by the BOS . . . so apparently the cost of running the schools and the county has gone up substantially in the past year or the county has lost other revenues (or both). People do know that their state and federal taxes have not gone down so they see their total tax liability rising because Fairfax County has increased the real estate tax rate and sewage fees, etc. There are only a few possible explanations and none of them are happy to contemplate. If the case is that we were not paying enough taxes before and now we have to make up for that, well I guess that's what we need to do.

Posted by: higher taxes = higher quality ()
Date: May 03, 2014 12:53PM

County, Federal and state taxes are the biggest bargains any of us will get in our lifetimes. Just pay up and be thankful.

Posted by: Teabagger ()
Date: May 03, 2014 02:48PM

higher taxes = higher quality Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> County, Federal and state taxes are the biggest
> bargains any of us will get in our lifetimes. Just
> pay up and be thankful.

No! I enjoy the benefits of our military, police, fire and rescue, roads and schools but fuck paying for it. What about meee?

Posted by: LibDumb ()
Date: May 03, 2014 03:03PM

higher taxes = higher quality Wrote:
> County, Federal and state taxes are the biggest
> bargains any of us will get in our lifetimes. Just
> pay up and be thankful.

Quit questioning and accept what the government tells you because they know better. If they want to take more of your money, just send in a bigger check and smile. It's so easy not to think.

Posted by: What You Mean To Say ()
Date: May 03, 2014 03:14PM

LibDumb Wrote:
Me, me, me, me, me! What about meee?

Posted by: Eff Ewe ()
Date: May 03, 2014 03:44PM

Hey LibDumb, next time you need any public service remember you are special and do not need it.

FU

Date: May 03, 2014 04:42PM

Lots of different factors in the game. For instance, when I was researching this morning and saw that Arlington had decided to keep the same RE tax rate from FY 14, they were also substantially raising other municipal fees (water, sewer, public transit). That is, they're gaining revenue as well, just from different sources.

Posted by: yes, lots of factors ()
Date: May 03, 2014 04:56PM

Fairfax is also raising sewer fees and they want to add a meals tax. Isn't public transit more regional (like metro and metrobuses)?

Posted by: only a bargain if monitored ()
Date: May 03, 2014 04:58PM

People should ask questions about how their money is spent. This is a democracy.

Posted by: Section_8_Sharon ()
Date: May 05, 2014 01:32PM

Get back to work all of you and pay more taxes!

XXOO

Sharon

Posted by: Kardiac17 ()
Date: May 05, 2014 02:54PM

I also heard that the BOS promised a chicken in every pot and a Ford in every garage. Damn Communists

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.