HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Bulova/Herrity Debate
Posted by: Taxpayer ()
Date: January 31, 2009 06:54AM

At the FCPS budget debate last night between Bulova and Herrity it was not even close. It was a slam dunk for Herrity. Herrity came off knowing more then Bulova on budget issues and had ideas on how to fix things that are broken.

Bulova has been on the budget committee for 17 years and the questions we need to ask her is what happened to our money over the last 17 years and why has our tax rates doubled over the last 7 years?

I liked Herrity before the debate, but now he is the one we need for the chairman's job. He will kick ass and make the SB dance.

Get out the vote for Pat Herrity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bulova/Herrity Debate
Posted by: APorIBMom ()
Date: January 31, 2009 08:03AM

The main difference between the two candidates, when it comes to FCPS-related issues, was the extent to which they would write a blank check to FCPS.

Herrity believes in asking FCPS to provide detailed answers to tough questions, even if it makes FCPS staff unhappy. That approach appears to have yielded some benefits this school year. At one meeting, a School Board member indicated to Dale that since the BOS was looking more closely at how FCPS was spending its money this year, Dale needed to provide the FCPS School Board with better data. In other words, the BOS was helping the less deferential School Board members force FCPS staff to be more forthcoming with facts and figures. Bulova's primary goal seemed to be maintaining cordial relationships with FCPS, although she claimed to also be interested in asking tough questions.

On capital spending, Herrity's business background showed. He understood that Fairfax County taxpayers ultimately will be responsible for repaying any bonds issued to pay for Gatehouse 2 and to renovate/build schools. He proposed to direct more money towards renovating and building schools. Bulova said that because Gatehouse 2 would be issued using a different type of bonds, it would have no impact on whether FCPS had more money to renovate or build schools.

My concern before the debate was that Herrity might not fund the schools as much as Bulova, no matter how efficiently FCPS used the money. After last night's debate, I decided this was not an issue. Herrity might be more generous than Bulova when it comes to funds that benefit students and classroom teachers. He's just less willing to fund an army of central headquarters staffers.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: January 31, 2009 10:13AM

Taxpayer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bulova has been on the budget committee for 17
> years and the questions we need to ask her is what
> happened to our money over the last 17 years and
> why has our tax rates doubled over the last 7
> years?

What tax rates have doubled over the last 7 years?

Certainly not the real estate tax rate....at 92 cents, it is considerably lower than it was 7 years ago. I don't recall exactly, but it used to be about $1.15

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: January 31, 2009 10:15AM

DONT YOU beleive Herrity on his pro-school agenda...The real agenda of holding FCPS "accountable" isnt fiscal..it's the home schooled lobby that wants to see all public schools closed because they teach tolerence and sex education in kindergarten.

When running for Springfield Board member Herrity promised to get the funds to renovate WSHS..he didnt...he then tried to garnish the support of his replican in crime Dave Albo to support the issue..they both failed. At last they both admitted neither has the power and influence on education issues and that the school board needed to take care of the issue. So he washed his hands twice. So he has zero credibility on any education issue.

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: January 31, 2009 11:01AM

Nobody ever said the tax RATE doubled. The tax AMOUNT is what has doubled.

Date: January 31, 2009 11:09AM

You want lower taxes...go live in Woodbridge.

Posted by: Junes ()
Date: January 31, 2009 11:20AM

Vince(1) Wrote:
>
> When running for Springfield Board member Herrity
> promised to get the funds to renovate WSHS..he
> didnt...he then tried to garnish the support of
> his replican in crime Dave Albo to support the
> issue..they both failed. At last they both
> admitted neither has the power and influence on
> education issues and that the school board needed
> to take care of the issue. So he washed his hands
> twice. So he has zero credibility on any
> education issue.

Before you say Herrity alone didn't get funding for WSHS, you may want to look at the vote to see who voted AGAINST him for the funding.

Albo is GA - he is not local and has no power to direct County funding for county schools. Where did you get that notion? Heck, even our local Democrat GA democrats are allocating more of our tax dollars for state school funding in RoVA (Rest of Virginia) than Northern VA.

When was the last time you ever heard of a polician of a party different than the majority of the board, wielding voting power?

Democrat Fairfax Board Supervisors have the worst record for school maintenace. Heck, someone had to torch Dogwood to get the upgrades needed for an acceptable school by county zoning standards.

Date: January 31, 2009 01:08PM

About 2 months ago Albo wrote an e-mail explaining how he and Herrity had failed to get WSHS funding...and said look to the school board whiping his and Herrity's hands like Pontius Pilot. I wouldnt even have minded if Herrity hadnt run on this issue as something he would get done..and he didnt!

Date: January 31, 2009 01:12PM

Vince, I don't recall ever seeing that email. Care to share it with us?

Date: January 31, 2009 03:22PM

I didnt keep it. But he makes the same argument on his web page...the jist of which is...Id really like to get WSHS renovated and Ive come up with some great suggestions...but neither Herrity nor I can do anything about it.

Well at least he didnt run on that issue the last time he ran...Herrity did.

http://www.davealbo.com/West_Springfield_High_School_Renovations.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2009 03:28PM by Vince(1).

Date: January 31, 2009 03:23PM

SBS Wrote:
> Nobody ever said the tax RATE doubled. The tax
> AMOUNT is what has doubled.

Read the first post, douchebag, he said our TAX RATES has doubled.

I know what he meant, but if you hold yourself up as a fucking tax expert, I expect the proper terminology to be used, see?

Date: January 31, 2009 03:53PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
> I didnt keep it. But he makes the same argument
> on his web page...the jist of which is...Id really
> like to get WSHS renovated and Ive come up with
> some great suggestions...but neither Herrity nor I
> can do anything about it.
>
> Well at least he didnt run on that issue the last
> time he ran...Herrity did.
>
> http://www.davealbo.com/West_Springfield_High_Scho
> ol_Renovations.html

No where does anyone say they WILL - rather they will do what they can to try to make it happen.

Once again Vince, you get an A+ for confusion.

Date: January 31, 2009 04:12PM

Junes Wrote:
> Vince(1) Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I didnt keep it. But he makes the same
> argument
> > on his web page...the jist of which is...Id
> really
> > like to get WSHS renovated and Ive come up with
> > some great suggestions...but neither Herrity nor
> I
> > can do anything about it.
> >
> > Well at least he didnt run on that issue the
> last
> > time he ran...Herrity did.
> >
> >
> http://www.davealbo.com/West_Springfield_High_Scho
>
> > ol_Renovations.html
>
> No where does anyone say they WILL - rather they
> will do what they can to try to make it happen.
>
> Once again Vince, you get an A+ for confusion.

LOL...once again you miss the thruth thru your tainted eyes. They do everything to give you the impresion they are doing something...and they aint dioing shit other then wrapping the flag around themselves. And I already siad Albo didnt run on the issue...but Herrity did..and Herrity failed...at this and everything else except big talk...and family history.

Date: January 31, 2009 04:28PM

Vince, you are really a laugh and a half - You spew innuendo based on an email you can't even find (if it ever existed at all).

Herrity promised to do what he could to upgrade WSHS. At no time did he say he would do it single handedly.

Next time you want to present a case, citing a document as your support, it would be a good idea to make sure you can find your source. Otherwise, call it what it REALLY is - your opinion.

And we all now about opinions.

Date: January 31, 2009 04:34PM

Vince(1) Wrote:
>
> And I already siad Albo didnt run on
> the issue

We already went over this Vince - Albo isn't involved with county school issues.

No wonder you can't be taken seriously. Anyone who tosses out the name of a State Delegate when discussing a county school upgrade is obvioulsy confused about how the system works.

Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: January 31, 2009 05:06PM

Herrity has my vote. Bulova seems to think that calling my place 5 times with an automated message is going to get me to vote for her. How lame and annoying.

Date: January 31, 2009 05:41PM

tubby Wrote:
> SBS Wrote:
> -----
> > Nobody ever said the tax RATE doubled. The tax
> > AMOUNT is what has doubled.
>
>
> Read the first post, douchebag, he said our TAX
> RATES has doubled.
>
> I know what he meant, but if you hold yourself up
> as a fucking tax expert, I expect the proper
> terminology to be used, see?

No need for name calling there, asswipe. I'm not a tax expert, but I was at the debate last night, and Herrity made the distinction very clear - that the amount of tax dollars paid is what doubled, not the tax rate.

Date: January 31, 2009 06:34PM

SBS Wrote:
> Nobody ever said the tax RATE doubled. The tax
> AMOUNT is what has doubled.

Last try. You're WRONG...you claim that "Nobody ever said the tax RATE doubled".

Read the first post...that is EXACTLY what the OP (Taxpayer) said. My initial post merely challenged that assertion.

Date: January 31, 2009 06:37PM

Junes Wrote:
> Vince(1) Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > And I already siad Albo didnt run on
> > the issue
>
> We already went over this Vince - Albo isn't
> involved with county school issues.
>
> No wonder you can't be taken seriously. Anyone who
> tosses out the name of a State Delegate when
> discussing a county school upgrade is obvioulsy
> confused about how the system works.

You Ma'am are intentionally confusing the issue..a typical republikan strategy...a stratefy used by both Herrity and Albo. This is a fake issue for him and Herrity..and alwatys was! It was a big lie on Herrity's part to promise anything...and Albo is a liar and a fraud for having an entire page of his web site dedicated to the issue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2009 06:39PM by Vince(1).

Date: January 31, 2009 06:38PM

Lurker. Wrote:
> Herrity has my vote. Bulova seems to think that
> calling my place 5 times with an automated message
> is going to get me to vote for her. How lame and
> annoying.

You are an idiot if that's the reason you are voting for Herrity.

Posted by: yeah ()
Date: February 01, 2009 04:08PM

as far as WSHS goes...at the last Board of Supervisors meeting, Herrity made a motion to use the county's debt capacity to make up for the upcoming decrease in money the county will transfer to the schools for capital improvements. Main reason he did this WAS for WSHS. Bulova excitedly seconded the motion... http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/bosclerk/summary/2009/09-01-26.pdf

Date: February 01, 2009 04:17PM

yeah Wrote:
> as far as WSHS goes...at the last Board of
> Supervisors meeting, Herrity made a motion to use
> the county's debt capacity to make up for the
> upcoming decrease in money the county will
> transfer to the schools for capital improvements.
> Main reason he did this WAS for WSHS. Bulova
> excitedly seconded the motion...
> http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/bosclerk/summary/2009
> /09-01-26.pdf

Well..we need to keep our "favorite" son in Springfield until he gets the job done.

Posted by: pick-pockets ()
Date: February 01, 2009 04:39PM

Junes Wrote:
> Vince(1) Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > And I already siad Albo didnt run on
> > the issue
>
> We already went over this Vince - Albo isn't
> involved with county school issues.
>
> No wonder you can't be taken seriously. Anyone who
> tosses out the name of a State Delegate when
> discussing a county school upgrade is obvioulsy
> confused about how the system works.

Just as with all of our other NoVa elected state officials, Albo has not had the balls to stand up to Richmond and demand that our tax dollars get spent here .

FCPS school and Fairfax County shortfalls exist solely because Richmond picks our pockets to subsidize Palin-Virginia

Albo and all the others do NOTHING to stop it - and are hence entirely complicit

At some point they should remember that they work for us

Date: February 02, 2009 06:41AM

pick-pockets Wrote:

> Just as with all of our other NoVa elected state
> officials, Albo has not had the balls to stand up
> to Richmond and demand that our tax dollars get
> spent here .
>
> FCPS school and Fairfax County shortfalls exist
> solely because Richmond picks our pockets to
> subsidize Palin-Virginia
>
> Albo and all the others do NOTHING to stop it -
> and are hence entirely complicit

Actually, FCPS are Federal and State SUBSIDIZED, with most funding from Local Real Estate Taxes. The Board of Supervisors approves the budget.

I do concur however that our state legislators leave a great deal to be desired and freely admit I did not vote for the ones that represent my district.

Each time Plum sends out his E-Newsletter, he includes nostalgic little quips about his days in Rural Virginia, but I have yet to see anything in either his or Howell's newsletters referencing dollars coming INTO Northern VA from Richmond. To his credit though, he does like to introduce lots of bills that recognize people (dead and alive) for things they have done in the community.

Your comment " At some point they should remember that they work for us," is an oxymoron. All state legislators who have been re-elected time and time again DO remember who they work for - the people who keep re-electing them.

Why would they do anything differently? Even Plum has been quoted as saying, the voters support his decisions. If they didn't they wouldn't keep re-electing him, and someone would run against him.

We get what we vote for. If you're going to point fingers, point them at the right people.

This weekend, I received a mailer from Bulova with Connolly's ugly puss on front and back, endorsing her.

Connolly said:

"Sharon Bulova has been MY PARTNER on the Board of Supervisors, fighting for OUR SHARED PRIORITIES of IMPROVING SCHOOLS, fighting gangs, protecting our environment and MEETING OUR TRANSPORTATION CHALLENGES."

Even Vince has a problem with the schools, yet he wants to support someone whose campaign touts "Shared Priorities of Improving Schools".

If Bulova is truly Connolly's Partner, and his endorsement is representative of what we can expect from her as Board Supervisor, it goes without saying that if you're not happy with the way the Board is handling things now - it won't get any better with Sharon Bulova as Board Chair.

Needless to say, it's pretty obvious she isn't going to get my vote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2009 06:44AM by Junes.

Posted by: I was there ()
Date: February 02, 2009 12:09PM

If I may offer an eyewitness account: Albo DID get involved in school issues. Graguate of WSHS he/his wife went to bat at the FCPS public hearing for the South County people and lobbied the school board for funding to build a middle school. Pat Herrity, WSHS graduate stated, " South County is THE most important isue in the County today." Herrity brokered the land deal for SC. As for WSHS, he said he'll do what he can. He seems committed but as yet WSHS is not funded for the 18 year overdue renovations that aren't set to begin until 2023. Herrity pushes public/private funding deals like what he brokered in SC. HOWEVER, there is no land in West Springfield to offer and public/private partnerships historically don't work for renovations. What the public wants to know is why the SB doesn't just correct a wrong instead of expecting the public to go out and raise funds while building a middle school in SC. Herrity and Bradsher, South County School Board Rep., campaigned together and a very tight.

Posted by: NativeVirginian ()
Date: February 02, 2009 12:20PM

I know of 13 acres in West Springfield that the Board owns that isn't doing anything. Nice wooded lots, street access. And it's within a mile of West Springfield High, so yes, there is land available to barter with. There is probably more, but that one was an easy find.

Posted by: Mozart ()
Date: February 02, 2009 12:41PM

If schools are your main concern, neither Bulova nor Herrity seem like particularly attractive candidates. Bulova seems to march in lock-step with the current School Board and FCPS staff, and Herrity seems mostly to do the bidding of those in South County.

Herrity might get my vote for opposing Gatehouse II, but nothing else that he's said while running for the county-wide seat suggests his interests in education transcend giving SoCo its middle school and paying lip service to the idea that WSHS should be renovated before it implodes.

Date: February 02, 2009 12:48PM

I was there Wrote:
> If I may offer an eyewitness account: Albo DID
> get involved in school issues. Graguate of WSHS
> he/his wife went to bat at the FCPS public hearing
> for the South County people and lobbied the school
> board for funding to build a middle school.

I don't doubt that the Albo's are actively involved in their community as PRIVATE CITIZENS, and there is no question that he carried some weight in the final outcome. For this he is to be thanked.

My post was in response to Vince's "interpretation" of Albo's involvement at the General Assembly level.

As we all know, Albo is not really in a position to "sway the Board" in Richmond. It needs to be done at home, and that's what he did ... as a Private Citizen.

Public/Private partnerships are a good thing. They save the taxpayers tons of money vs the Bulova/Connolly method of just buying the property with tax dollars (usually over market value) and then spend even more tax payer dollars to renovate.

Date: February 02, 2009 01:17PM

Junes Wrote:
> pick-pockets Wrote:

>
> Actually, FCPS are Federal and State SUBSIDIZED,
> with most funding from Local Real Estate Taxes.
> The Board of Supervisors approves the budget.

I disagree, they're not subsidized.

That's your and my tax dollars coming back to provide the services that we require. The State is not generating those tax dollars, we are.

Our state level representatives should be ensuring that perhaps 80% of state taxes generated from a county get returned to it - either delivered through state agencies or handed directly back to county bodies

20% of our state taxes paid being used to support the struggling parts of the state and provide state level resources such as the governor's car would be more than generous - not the 80% that we currently lose.

Posted by: Billy ()
Date: February 02, 2009 02:30PM

Herrity is winning all the debates (in my opinion). It is clear that he knows the problems and has solutions. He is an aggressive leader that wants change from the current ways. We are at over a $600 million shortfall for 2010 with Bulova as the budget chair; who has just seemed to be a Connolly follower for her entire political career. Herrity only wants to have cuts where needed, not across the board like Bulova that would effect many of our every day functions.

Herrity easily gets my vote!

Date: February 02, 2009 02:44PM

pick-pockets Wrote:
>
> I disagree, they're not subsidized.
>
> That's your and my tax dollars coming back to
> provide the services that we require. The State is
> not generating those tax dollars, we are.
>
> Our state level representatives should be ensuring
> that perhaps 80% of state taxes generated from a
> county get returned to it - either delivered
> through state agencies or handed directly back to
> county bodies
>
> 20% of our state taxes paid being used to support
> the struggling parts of the state and provide
> state level resources such as the governor's car
> would be more than generous - not the 80% that we
> currently lose.

You're jumping around too much - the bulk of the school budget is from County Real Estate Taxs - not state funding. Check out the Fairfax County Budget Pie Chart.

You are right though that our state legislators are doing little if anything to bring a fair percentage of our state tax dollars back to the region. Northern VA and Hampton Roads are the state cash cows, providing 90% of the revenue to "fuel" the entire Commonwealth.

To see change, we must first change the General Assembly. Until the General Assembly is changed, everything will remain the same.

Voters who are not happy with our present representation have to do more than just vote - they have to support opposing candidates and get others out to vote.

Tomorrow will be a true test for the Chairman election. It's bad enough that this is an off-election year, but we are plagued with inclement weather as well. For many, the snow will be an excuse to not vote.

Unfortunately the same people who feel this election doesn't warrant enough importance to get out and vote will be the same ones who will complain loudly that our representatives are not doing our bidding.

So, tomorrow, get out and VOTE!

Posted by: JAV ()
Date: February 02, 2009 03:11PM

Sorry, Junes, we're not going to change the state government from up here in the People's Republic of Fairfax, as they see it. Richmond is still laughing about the little skirmish regarding the Clifton winery last month, and many, many issues where they feel they need to keep us in check, while returning only a small fraction of the taxes we send to Richmond.

On the other hand, we do have a good person representing us down there in the form of Bulova's son, David. He's pragmatic regarding what can be done.

But I do agree with you that Sharon Bulova is too closely aligned with those trying to turn our county into Long Island. I would love to see Pat Herrity as Chairman to realign our priorities away from the government empire building we've had for the past 10+ years. And as for schools, Bulova is keeping her distance from the ongoing Woodson HS renovation disaster in her own District, though there is talk about naming the new tennis courts after her because they slant to the left, cannot be used for competition, and will not be fixed.

Unfortunately, the word here in the Braddock District is that unless Herrity receives a surprising turnout, this election was over before it started. The Asian community in particular has an organized transportation plan to get their supporters to the polls tomorrow to vote for Bulova, which secures the District seat for Moon.

Date: February 02, 2009 03:12PM

Junes Wrote:

>
> You're jumping around too much - the bulk of the
> school budget is from County Real Estate Taxs -
> not state funding. Check out the Fairfax County
> Budget Pie Chart.
>

There's no jumping around... if the money we sent of to Richmond was returned as it should be, the majority of the school funding could some from that taxation, not from additional county real estate taxes

The reason we have such high real estate taxes, and a budget crisis, is that we're being ripped off to subsidize the unsustainable economies of the rest of the state.

Its upto all of our elected officials at all levels to fix this stupid situation - and to pressure each other to get it done. Saying 'oh, I'm only a supervisor, I don't control Richmond' or 'I'm a delegate, I have to be responsible to all of Va' is not good enough

All this tussle about larger or smaller county budgets is a side show, a distraction, from the fact that most of our state taxes disappear into a big hole and we never see any services from them.

Date: February 02, 2009 05:49PM

Well, you can start the ball rolling by voting for Herrity tomorrow.

Posted by: FairfaxFelix ()
Date: February 03, 2009 04:24PM

tubby Wrote:
> Taxpayer Wrote:
> -----
> > Bulova has been on the budget committee for 17
> > years and the questions we need to ask her is
> what
> > happened to our money over the last 17 years
> and
> > why has our tax rates doubled over the last 7
> > years?
>
>
> What tax rates have doubled over the last 7
> years?
>
> Certainly not the real estate tax rate....at 92
> cents, it is considerably lower than it was 7
> years ago. I don't recall exactly, but it used to
> be about $1.15

Hey Tubby,

You fell for the scam lower County RE tax rate vs. total RE tax dollars collected. Perhaps a better way to look at it is what did you pay for your RE taxes 7 years ago and what do you pay today.

Posted by: how can anyone ()
Date: February 03, 2009 05:40PM

How can anyone in good conscience possibly support Gatehouse II in one of the worst economies we have seen since the Depression? It is simply a foolish expenditure by any measure in these times. And making reference to the fact that payment comes from a different source is irrelevant. The taxpayers will spend millions upon millions servicing that debt, and frankly, it should not in these times, be spent on administrators, period. Good leaders lead and they don't ask anything of their people (here, teachers) that they themselves would not endure. Put the money in the classroom, and rather than spending money on an administrative center, let's challenge the FCPS to put money away from administration into the classroom, and into results.

Posted by: JAV ()
Date: February 03, 2009 10:31PM

Bulova won, barring a total surprise when they count absentee/provisional ballots.
Best turnout was 22% in the Braddock District, with vanloads of people arriving at schools carrying "sample" ballots.

Date: February 03, 2009 11:13PM

This is not good for Fairfax County.

1200 votes!

Posted by: rusty nail ()
Date: February 04, 2009 08:43AM

If it hasn't been answered already, tax assessments have doubled - tripled over the last 7 years. I still find it a little suspicious that the new tax assessments have not been made available on FFX website prior to this election.

Posted by: Charlie Browns Teacher ()
Date: February 04, 2009 08:52AM

Another loss for FairfaxCaps

Date: February 04, 2009 08:58AM

Charlie Browns Teacher Wrote:
> Another loss for FairfaxCaps

No, it's another loss for Fairfax County.

Posted by: jimW ()
Date: February 04, 2009 12:41PM

Posted by: DJ ()
Date: February 04, 2009 01:16PM

people people, please check your spelling - polician? republikan?

Race is over SB will have to die b4 she defeated

Date: February 04, 2009 03:57PM

rusty nail Wrote:
> I still find it a little suspicious that
> the new tax assessments have not been made
> available on FFX website prior to this election.

Why would the new assessments (and associated tax rate adjustment) be posted on the website when it be a voter killer for Bulova?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2009 03:58PM by Junes.

Posted by: not that much of a secret... ()
Date: February 04, 2009 07:54PM

I know of 13 acres in West Springfield that the Board owns that isn't doing anything. Nice wooded lots, street access. And it's within a mile of West Springfield High, so yes, there is land available to barter with. There is probably more, but that one was an easy find.

Hillside Road.

Posted by: RUNUTS??? ()
Date: February 04, 2009 10:42PM

Charlie Browns Teacher Wrote:
> Another loss for FairfaxCaps

Where do you get this from? FairfaxCAPS did not endorse either candidate. Are you nuts???

Posted by: Bulova ()
Date: February 16, 2009 02:01PM

February 16, 2009

Honorable Sharon Bulova

Chairman,

Fairfax County Board Supervisors

12000 Government Center Parkway

Fairfax, VA

Subject:: Gatehouse II

Dear Chairman Bulova:

I thought this cat was dead. Why do we have to continually consider, especially in secret this very bad idea called Gatehouse II?

Citizens are becoming fed up. The big elephant in the room over the last several months has been exotic Wall Street conglomerates who turned out to be not so exotic and not so good at management decisions. Among those bad decisions were mortgage schemes in which no early-year interest payments were required of some subprime borrowers. Subsequently, as we now know, these not so exotic organizations have required a bailout. Then as the “bailout money” was distributed, we discovered some of that bailout money was being used to award management ludicrous bonuses.

Not to be outdone by Wall Street, it now it appears Fairfax County is attempting to bailout some real estate speculators who made a bad business decision in late 2006. You may remember, mid year 2006 was at the height of the Real Estate market and exactly the wrong time to make a buy decision, especially of the building at 8111 Gate House Road and unbelievably for $43,545,000.

In an effort to put some lipstick on this bovine, Fairfax County is calling it Gatehouse II and trying to bond out and then obligate somewhere around $100M Capitol expense to acquire and upgrade this building. Despite the School Board’s assertion to the contrary, this is the same money that could be used to accomplish critically needed refurbishment of existing school facilities.

To make matters worse, for some reason, the first three years of interest is not being paid. Apparently It is being added back into the capitalization of the mortgage so even more interest will be due in the future. Does this interest delayed strategy ring a bell? The other costs, to include future interest payments, are additional 10’s of millions of dollars not being shown nor discussed.

"To add insult to injury, I have just learned Fairfax County Public Schools has an organization called the “Department of Statistical Responsibility.” What exactly is this all about? Sounds like a “spin” group to me.

What this school administration needs is a Department of Fiscal Responsibility, not a department that appears to be devoted to manipulating numbers to advertise how great our schools are."

Sincerely,

Fairfax County Taxpayer

CC

Media as Letter to the Editor

Posted by: Bullocks ()
Date: February 16, 2009 02:14PM

February 16, 2009

Fairfax County Taxpayer
No Fixed Address

Subject:: Gatehouse II

Dear Fairfax County Taxpayer:

In response to your letter dated February 16, 2008, please note that your complaints are noted and have been archived away in this little 24-inch high file cabinet next to my desk, which happens to get purged at the end of each business day.

Please refrain from such communications in the future. K, Thnx.

Sincerely,

Sharon Bulova

CC

Association of Republican Failures, Fairfax Chapter

Posted by: 433gy434 ()
Date: March 12, 2022 04:43PM

what would Harrity do if he knew Bulova was from Maryland, a foreign debter, and was planning $6,000,000,000 debt PER YEAR for fairfax financed by deep state democrats and foreign terrorists

??

Posted by: y4334 ()
Date: March 12, 2022 09:07PM

what if Harrity knew it would end up money being funneled to the likes of Ukraine stealing land from russia creating a 30 or 50 year war AGAIN ? (and we have to say again, they've been fucking doing it for hundreds of years)

Posted by: Look at the History ()
Date: March 13, 2022 02:29PM

I've got to give Mr. Herrity credit. He's trying to save Fairfax county from financial ruin, but all the other members of the board, keep voting against his ideas. Each year, we watch Fairfax slowly get crappier. Schools keep getting worse. Quality of life gets lower. Granted it's going to take some time before Fairfax county gets as bad as Baltimore, but it's headed that way.

Posted by: 34g4gh34 ()
Date: March 13, 2022 05:20PM

Harrity (Sr.) was / is a great guy but just another guy. He could have been replaced by any of thousands of great guys in Virginia.

Bulova is a foreign terrorist. Hired by hispanics to wreck the area and put terrorists near DC

the two are worlds apart

Posted by: 34g43 ()
Date: March 13, 2022 05:28PM

DSC00603.jpg

Miss me now?

Posted by: 342r4t4 ()
Date: March 13, 2022 09:54PM

Posted by: 4343 ()
Date: March 14, 2022 04:33PM

Posted by: 234g4g43 ()
Date: March 16, 2022 10:03PM

herrity-event.jpg

Herrity Jr., discussing whether Kimshi storage should be so close to a soccer field, due to the possible dangers.

Posted by: 34gy443 ()
Date: March 16, 2022 10:05PM

26952415_10155946579566083_7782284768066

Herrity Jr.

When they left the field that white helmet on the roof fell on the road. Never leave your helmet on top of the car not even for a photo! Nor on the bumper!

Posted by: 4y45huy54 ()
Date: March 16, 2022 10:08PM

cr=w:600,h:300

Democrats rule fairfax and strike down everything this man has said, well mostly.

It's like the United States Supreme Court - when they go unanimous and they need a single descenting vote so they don't appear biased?

Amazing democrats have not ... taken turf. Yet.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.