HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Cox Cable HDTV/DVR vs Verizon FiOS
Posted by: alinnova ()
Date: January 30, 2009 08:40AM

We have Cox Cable for their Expanded Basic service (102 analogue channels). Verizon FiOS seems to be the gold standard now for HDTV and DVR. Does Cox HDTV and DVR box and the channel choices match FiOS?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cox Cable HDTV/DVR vs Verizon FiOS
Posted by: JR ()
Date: January 30, 2009 09:39AM

I am getting FIOS on Sunday. COX DVR is stuck in 2003 and by far the worst DVR interface I have seen.

Posted by: HIJACKER ()
Date: January 30, 2009 10:09AM

I'm not sure if they match, but I've had both and I think I get A LOT more with Fios and the service is better.

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: January 30, 2009 10:12AM

You get more with FIOS, but it's also a bit more expensive.

Posted by: TomMadison ()
Date: January 30, 2009 10:51AM

Interesting question...we switched to FIOS a couple of weeks ago and I can't say that one is better than the other. I think that the Cox DVR UI is better than FIOS and I felt like there was more recording space with Cox, but FIOS is more like Tivo in that you can search the program listings in a lot of ways to find shows that you want to record.

As far as cost goes I expect to save at least $40 per month with FIOS for TV, internet and phone vs. what I was paying Cox and Verizon for these services.

Posted by: nakedshoplifter ()
Date: January 30, 2009 11:21AM

I switched to Fios after Cox wouldn't fix my internet problem. Whenever it rained the speed dropped below dialup speeds. Several phone calls, tech visits, and denials later we dropped Cox, so much better now with fios.

Posted by: HIJACKER ()
Date: January 30, 2009 01:15PM

Now, the multi-room DVR from Fios IMO is trash. It works occassionally, but functionality is limited. It's irritating because I would like to select a show to record from any TV in the house and have it set to record on the primary DVR box regardless of location - but you can't do that.

You can watch stuff on any TV, but you can't program it to record from any TV. So I either have to go downstairs to the theatre room or log in to my account over the web and select the show to record there to avoid the walk.

So, there is certainly room for improvement.

Posted by: coolhandbane ()
Date: January 30, 2009 03:28PM

We have cox Internet, Cable (one HD DVR box and one digital) and cox telephone. One box is HD DVR with DVR service and one is DVR box with digital cable.

We have about 60+ HD channels. We have never had a problem with HD DVR or regular DVR.

As far as cost, we are saving at least $75 with the cox bundle (fastest Internet, HD DVR with DVR service and $40 cox digital telephone). Before, we had cox Internet (fastest) and Cox digital cable with 2 DVRs, HBO, Cinamax, showtime, starz and verizon phone ($75 a month). Now we dont have Cinamax, showtime or starz.

From what we needed we compared fios and cox bundles. Cox is less expensive than fios.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: January 31, 2009 01:07AM

I've had both, had Cox for television, phone, and the highest speed internet. Then I switched to FIOS. It is hands down, better. And I paid less to. Given a choice, there's NO question, go with FIOS.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.