HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Straight talk on JMU
Posted by: Mom of senior ()
Date: March 31, 2014 06:58PM

How is JMU for undergrad

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Straight talk on JMU
Posted by: Like Mason ()
Date: March 31, 2014 07:04PM

Probably good enough to get you into a government contractor when you graduate.

Posted by: JMU UMJ ()
Date: March 31, 2014 07:16PM

Good c-suckers there baby, oh yeahhhhhhh

Posted by: JMU jizzo ()
Date: March 31, 2014 07:35PM

good carpet munchers there too if you know what I mean ha ha ha ha

munch munch munch all the day but especially for lunch......ha ha ha ha

oh oh oh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh jizzo

Posted by: Mom of senior ()
Date: March 31, 2014 07:37PM

disgusting

Posted by: Madre of senor ()
Date: March 31, 2014 10:07PM

Not as good as Mason which has a lot of hispanics.

Posted by: DMV God ()
Date: March 31, 2014 10:20PM

Madre of senor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not as good as Mason which has a lot of hispanics.

Do these gay illegal hispanic students get instate tuition like those over in Maryland?

Posted by: JMUAlumni2009 ()
Date: March 31, 2014 11:15PM

Great, education is solid, I just got promoted to MANAGER at Chipotle 2 months ago. Loving it! :)

its worth the expenses, trust me.

Posted by: Never Serious ()
Date: April 01, 2014 08:20AM

Why cant I get serious input from real people

Posted by: ... ()
Date: April 01, 2014 08:25AM

So far, none of the posters in this thread have ever attended an accredited university...

Posted by: NH4tW ()
Date: April 01, 2014 10:21AM

Well what the fuck are you looking for? Someone to explain to you what the school's strengths or weaknesses are? Whether you'll get a return on your degree? You're applying to JMU yet you come to a site like this for information on your decision? Get your head out of your ass and do some real research - strangers online are not a great source of information when it comes to life decisions. I went there and it was great.

Posted by: CW9hh ()
Date: April 01, 2014 10:29AM

I agree, it's funny seeing people providing no specifics while expecting the information they're looking for to miraculously appear. So yes, JMU is good for undergrad but you probably already knew that. That's what happens when you open a thread with some bullshit open-ended question. By first impressions, you're probably not cut out for it.

Posted by: Joe James ()
Date: April 01, 2014 10:52AM

FFXU.

Same ole. Same ole.

JMU gets you the skills that pays the bills.

Why are you just sitting there on the 'puter.

Just get in the car and drive to Harrisonburg.

Why are you making it complicated?

Posted by: Wake up ()
Date: April 01, 2014 10:59AM

JMU gets you your first interview for your first job and then it's all on you to prove your value. When will people understand that your degree is not a label you wear throughout your entire career. Unless you went to Harvard or Stanford with heavy fraternity connections, it doesn't matter where you went to school. Get into the best school you can and hope that the person who interviews you went there too because that's all it will do to help you land a job.

Posted by: comparison ()
Date: April 01, 2014 10:59AM

Mason: Your kid comes home everyday
JMU: Your kid comes home every weekend

Otherwise, it's program by program. JMU is known for education program.

Posted by: Hmmmm ()
Date: April 01, 2014 02:17PM

... Wrote:
> So far, none of the posters in this thread have
> ever attended an accredited university...

You mean FXU isn't an accredited institution of high learning?

Posted by: Katy ()
Date: April 01, 2014 03:02PM

JMU has been the most applied to school in VA for the past 12 years so that in itself says something. And before anyone asks...yes more applications that UVA and VTech

Posted by: Yes true ()
Date: April 01, 2014 04:51PM

Tech is UVA wanna bee. Pure and simple. Of course JMU gets more apps. More highly rated than Tech.

Posted by: GMUAlumni518 ()
Date: April 02, 2014 08:38PM

Heres the ranking bro:
1- UVA
2- VT
3- GMU [The best one in my opinion]
4- JMU
5- Christopher Newport
6- VCU
7- ODU
8- Devry/Pheonix Online

Posted by: Clift ()
Date: April 02, 2014 09:47PM

GMUAlumni518 Wrote:
> Heres the ranking bro:
> 1- UVA
> 2- VT
> 3- GMU [The best one in my opinion]
> 4- JMU
> 5- Christopher Newport
> 6- VCU
> 7- ODU
> 8- Devry/Pheonix Online

Apart from the fact you left out W&M, UMW amd Radford, and overrated GMU by at least 2-3 slots, I'd say this is spot on.

Posted by: down the road some ()
Date: April 02, 2014 10:05PM

JMU is two-thirds girls. Their two big fields of study are education and healthcare, the latter is more of a specialization in business administration.

Posted by: Madison Shoes ()
Date: April 02, 2014 10:51PM

Way over-rated.

It's a school for the kids who aren't smart enough to get into UVA or W&M but think that they're too cool to go to Tech.

Posted by: XPnU7 ()
Date: April 02, 2014 11:02PM

Overrated based on what? UVA, Tech and W&M are great schools but they're completely different atmospheres. W&M is established but provides a pretty dull college experience. UVA is great but you have a more traditional academic experience with lots of international students. Tech has a much larger football presence than any school in the state. JMU is a place for people who like to socialize and enjoy their four years while getting a pretty solid degree. It doesn't matter where you went to college as long as you barf in a few sinks and get some titties in your face.

Posted by: There ya go ()
Date: April 02, 2014 11:13PM

XPnU7 Wrote:
> ...JMU is a place for people who like to
> socialize and enjoy their four years while getting
> a pretty solid degree. It doesn't matter where
> you went to college as long as you barf in a few
> sinks and get some titties in your face.

Spoken like the typical JMU alum.

Posted by: MGHTj ()
Date: April 03, 2014 12:15AM

I went to Delaware. I've visited all but W&M, definitely had the most fun at JMU though so sure.

Posted by: gsaas57 ()
Date: April 07, 2014 01:10AM

XPnU7 Wrote:
> ...JMU is a place for people who like to
> socialize and enjoy their four years while getting
> a pretty solid degree. It doesn't matter where
> you went to college as long as you barf in a few
> sinks and get some titties in your face.

Spoken like the typical JMU alum.

Shhhhhh, the JMU alum is now the manager of Chipotle, Respect him!!

Posted by: guidance counselor ()
Date: April 07, 2014 10:12AM

Best school in the region:

http://www.unva.edu

University of Northern Virginia. They have a wonderful S&M program, you can do a concentration in forcible sodomy and get a county job. You'll also meet lots of students from India and Korea.

Posted by: XEckV ()
Date: April 07, 2014 11:04AM

gsaas57 Wrote:
> Shhhhhh, the JMU alum is now the manager of
> Chipotle, Respect him!

What a stupid fucking comment. By your scale a UVA grad would be managing a macaroni grill. Go fuck yourself then find some original material for your posts instead of recycling old jokes we see in every thread.

Posted by: Reginald ()
Date: April 07, 2014 11:26AM

gsaas57 Wrote:
>
> Chipotle, Respect him!!

This is the type of guy that laughs at commercials.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: April 07, 2014 12:00PM

UVa is the only across the board top school in Virginia. W&M is, except for business, as good as UVa on the programs that it offers. The problem is that W&M doesn't offer as many programs. Once you get past that it depends on the program.

JMU has a good business program. It is not as well known at UVa's but generally ranks comparable to W&M, Richmond and a little ahead of Tech. The Education school is supposedly good which makes sense since it started off as a school for teachers. Some of the arts programs are also supposed to be good. Other than that it is just another college.

JMU is usually one of the more affordable Virginia state schools. The population includes NoVa students who could have gone to UVa if they came from anywhere other than NoVa and northeast students who couldn't land an ivy league schools. If you are a B+/A- kid expecting to coast through and end up at the top of the class, think again. The student body is overwhelmingly white.

The school has grown significantly over the past generation. It used to be that you could live on campus all four years. Now it is rare to be on campus after the first year. There are a number of apartments that cater to students in Harrisonburg. Many of the parties you hear about happen at these off campus student apartment complexes.

JMU food services have had a long reputation as being good.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: April 08, 2014 09:47AM

GMUAlumni518 Wrote:
> Heres the ranking bro:
> 1- UVA
> 2- VT
> 3- GMU [The best one in my opinion]
> 4- JMU
> 5- Christopher Newport
> 6- VCU
> 7- ODU
> 8- Devry/Pheonix Online

What about University of Richmond?

Posted by: UNVA for life ()
Date: April 08, 2014 09:59AM

UNVA has a great employment program. You're not only guaranteed a job when you graduate, but you have to have one during the entire matriculation period.

Posted by: Irrelevant ()
Date: April 08, 2014 10:43AM

Katy Wrote:
> JMU has been the most applied to school in VA for
> the past 12 years so that in itself says
> something. And before anyone asks...yes more
> applications that UVA and VTech

This doesn't really mean anything. JMU used to be a back up school for people who couldn't get in to UVA or Tech. Now that those schools have higher admissions standards (thanks in part to grade inflation) AND they except an inordinate amount of out of state students, in state kids have limited options for quality, affordable public colleges. THAT's why everyone started applying to JMU. NOT b/c it's so amazing but b/c there's almost nowhere left for in-state kids to go that doesn't suck ass or cost a fortune. Even JMU has started going crazy with rejecting in state kids since they've become more competitive due to receiving UVA's overflow applicants.

The whole college admissions process is an absolute mess. I got into UVA 20 years ago with a 3.7 GPA and 1240 SAT. I was also accepted at JMU and Mary Washington. JMU was my backup school!!! Ha ha ha! These days I couldn't even get into JMU with those scores.

Insane.

Posted by: JLbYV ()
Date: April 08, 2014 11:16AM

^^^ All good points but an assumption you make that is no longer true is that Tech is harder to get into than JMU. I went to neither, but 10 years ago when I was applying to both, JMU was portrayed as the more difficult school to get into. Again, depends on variables like which program you'd be applying to. JMU has an indisputably better business school, Tech is clearly a better Engineering school. You can't hold one above the other, you can only compare based on individual programs.

Posted by: dumbed down ()
Date: April 08, 2014 11:23AM

In this area, they've lowered the grade scale to make it easier to achieve 4.0 in courses. Also, CB changed the SAT to make it much easier after nearly 25 years of declining test scores. Now, they're starting to decline again.

Posted by: K4vxH ()
Date: April 08, 2014 11:26AM

Irrelevant Wrote:

> THAT's why everyone started applying to JMU.

Maybe 20 years ago - inability to get into Tech or UVA are not the reasons for high application rates now. The activity over the past 12 years is the recent growth and reputation. Sports, academics and social life are all on the rise there. 17 year olds are not applying to schools strictly based on academics. They hear what friends and siblings say about the atmosphere at JMU and they want in. It's no secret that JMU has a reputation as the best social scene in VA. Go ahead and argue it but it's not really a comparison when it comes to the social scene.

Posted by: Ballsballs ()
Date: April 08, 2014 11:29AM

Hot girls. That is why. Good luck finding a looker on the UVA campus....

Posted by: Its ok ()
Date: April 08, 2014 11:29AM

JMU is a good middle-of-the road choice, but there's probably no reason to go there if you can get into either VT, UVA, or W&M.

But its definitely better than GMU, VCU, Longwood, Radford, ODU etc.

I do think its location (straddling Route 81) kinda sucks. And Harrisonburg isn't one of the better college towns. But that's very subjective.

Posted by: eLester ()
Date: April 08, 2014 11:30AM

I suspect you're probably getting this in almost every state with the respectable schools. They're taking about a third of their incoming freshmen from out-of-state applications to maximize revenue to the extent they can do so politically. We're getting the overflow from other states, and our rejects are going elsewhere. It's all part of the impact of raging inflation in college costs.

Posted by: Fwdwc ()
Date: April 08, 2014 11:32AM

Tech has some sillies. Not as many as JMU but they do thrive relatively well in Blacksburg.

Posted by: Not sure about that ()
Date: April 08, 2014 11:38AM

Since when is Tech academically superior to JMU? UVA and W&M, absolutely, but Tech? Not the case. Business, Education and Political Science programs at JMU are all superior to Tech. Just like the guy above said, you can't compare the schools because individual programs outrank one another.

Same with the "college town" aspect. Have you ever been to Harrisonburg? It's the perfect example of a "college town atmosphere"> Not that Blacksburg isn't but JMU's atmosphere is largely considered the best in VA. No rotunda like at UVA but that's not kids are after. Keep in mind these are teenagers applying. Most couldn't care less about historical significance of a campus.

Its ok Wrote:
> JMU is a good middle-of-the road choice, but
> there's probably no reason to go there if you can
> get into either VT, UVA, or W&M.
>
> But its definitely better than GMU, VCU, Longwood,
> Radford, ODU etc.
>
> I do think its location (straddling Route 81)
> kinda sucks. And Harrisonburg isn't one of the
> better college towns. But that's very subjective.

Posted by: Times change ()
Date: April 08, 2014 11:38AM

JLbYV Wrote:
> ^^^ All good points but an assumption you make
> that is no longer true is that Tech is harder to
> get into than JMU. I went to neither, but 10
> years ago when I was applying to both, JMU was
> portrayed as the more difficult school to get
> into. Again, depends on variables like which
> program you'd be applying to. JMU has an
> indisputably better business school, Tech is
> clearly a better Engineering school. You can't
> hold one above the other, you can only compare
> based on individual programs.

That's how it was when I was applying approx 10 years ago too. JMU was slightly harder. I got into VT but not JMU.

But that's no longer the case. Its A LOT harder to get into VT nowadays. With my same SAT scores and grades I wouldn't stand a chance of getting into VT if I applied today, not even close.

Posted by: Not for my kids ()
Date: April 08, 2014 02:47PM

It's a huge party school and most kids don't take education very seriously

Posted by: Katy ()
Date: April 08, 2014 02:50PM

@Times change

Not true. Tech and JMU I'd say are pretty even in terms of difficulty of acceptance. Like others said depends on what your looking at Business and education--JMU. Engineering--Tech. Most kids these days are applying and choosing schools where they can get the complete package....great academics, social life, etc. JMU is probably the most well rounded school in VA if your looking for the complete college experience....minus the sports that UVA and Tech can provide.

Posted by: Devin ()
Date: April 08, 2014 03:07PM

@Not for my kids

They take it seriously enough to have the highest CPA pass rating in the country and have the second highest amount of peace corps volunteers in the country not to mention they actually got into JMU

Posted by: ytM9p ()
Date: April 08, 2014 03:16PM

Not my kids-

Boo yah! In your face you fear monger!

Posted by: YWW4M ()
Date: April 08, 2014 03:45PM

Not for my kids Wrote:
> It's a huge party school and most kids don't take
> education very seriously

Just over 10% of millionaires have a masters degree and 4% have a PhD. My point is that academics are not what lead you to success. A well-rounded atmosphere does. Mark Cuban's first step into business was a college bar that was shut down for having an underage girl win a bikini contest. Partying didn't seem to distract him too badly.

Posted by: DukeFinance ()
Date: April 08, 2014 03:53PM

While academics do help drive success, I agree they are not the only component. Or even one of the top 3. I got a finance degree from JMU and haven't used an ounce of what I learned in my (young) sales analyst career.

I spent days and days learning to calculate amortization schedules - WHY THE FUCK DO I NEED TO MANUALLY CALCULATE AMORTIZATION SCHEDULES?? Computers do it with a mouse click. Meanwhile, I had to enroll in an Excel course after college because my boss was blown away they didn't provide more applicable learning opportunities.

Someone who spent 6 months in an Excel course could have arguably been better prepared for my job, related to my major, than someone who graduated with my 4 year degree. And this is JMU, with a nationally renowned business school. Education these days is so institutionalized, it's such bullshit.

Posted by: thou doth protest too much ()
Date: April 08, 2014 04:13PM

A lot of people are defensive about their experience at JMU.

Posted by: Xbdtw ()
Date: April 08, 2014 05:10PM

uhh the guy above you was just talking about how his JMU degree barely helped him. Probably more reflective of college in general, but still

Posted by: UVAisBetter ()
Date: April 08, 2014 10:17PM

Posted by: XEckV ()
Date: April 07, 2014 11:04AM

gsaas57 Wrote:
> Chipotle, Respect him!

What a stupid fucking comment. By your scale a UVA grad would be managing a macaroni grill. Go fuck yourself then find some original material for your posts instead of recycling old jokes we see in every thread.

LOL is someone butt hurt after graduating and not getting the "6 figure job" he expected? hahaha its okay, Uncle Julio's Resturant has a great promotion program, and free appitizers for employees, every 2 weeks!

Posted by: Straight talk ()
Date: April 09, 2014 03:26AM

You're not gonna get it here

Posted by: JMU is gay ()
Date: July 13, 2014 12:21AM

I'd rather go to Hampton University than waste my money on JMU.

Posted by: Louis Friend ()
Date: February 27, 2016 09:13PM

I've heard its not a charm school.

Posted by: Louis Friend ()
Date: February 27, 2016 09:14PM

Ballsballs Wrote:
> Hot girls. That is why. Good luck finding a
> looker on the UVA campus....

I've heard its not a charm school.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.