HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
How Often Do You Need to Complete an I-9?
Posted by: TomMadison ()
Date: January 22, 2009 03:41PM

My son, a senior at ODU, has had a number of part-time campus jobs and it seems like every time he works for a new office they ask him to complete an I-9 and they insist on seeing his social security card and will not accept his passport as valid documentation even though the form states clearly that this alone is adequate.

My understanding is that you only need to complete an I-9 once for an employer no matter how many departments you work in. Since the W-2 comes from ODU I would consider them the employer. Apart from this being a hassle (his passport is at home) I would be concerned about their record keeping and record control since they make a hardcopy of the submitted documents.

I understand why they ask for a new W-4 each year, but the I-9 seems like an adminstrative error that no one wants to take responsibility for.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How Often Do You Need to Complete an I-9?
Posted by: Answer I think ()
Date: January 22, 2009 03:56PM

My guess is after he finishes each job his employment is terminated. So when he is rehired in a different department, he has to show is documentation again. The company I work for hires interns every summer and winter. If an intern is in over the summer and comes back for the winter, they have to show their info again.

I don't know why the won't take the passport. It does say on the I-9 form that it is acceptable.

Date: January 22, 2009 04:11PM

I guess, but it happened when he worked for two offices simultaneously and they both asked for an I-9 and W-4 which makes no sense whatsoever. I know that they are working off a checklist, but this is one of those process inefficiencies which really makes you scratch your head. In 2007 he received three different W-2s (one for each job) , but the EIN (employer ID) was the same. The explanation was that one was for an hourly job and the other was for an orientation program with a flat rate, but that makes no sense either.

As the Commonwealth looks for ways to save costs you have to wonder how many of these dumb processes waste millions each year.

Posted by: Junes ()
Date: January 22, 2009 05:33PM

An employee must complete an I=9 for EACH job. The jobs you are referring to are probably in a different tax group and treated as an independent company, even though they are all under one "umbrella."

One major goverment contractor is set up that way. Also, when I was signed on with several temp agencies, I had to coplete an I-9 for each one (along with all the tax forms), even if I never worked an assignment.

The whole purpose of the I-9 is to keep the illegal aliens off company payrolls - obviously, it isn't working.

Posted by: hrperson ()
Date: January 22, 2009 07:52PM

An employer cannot ask for specific documents from the employee for completion of the I-9. The employee is required to provide documents as listed on the back of the I-9. If the employee has a valid passport, then that is all he needs to show.

Date: January 23, 2009 12:32AM

Junes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An employee must complete an I=9 for EACH job.
> The jobs you are referring to are probably in a
> different tax group and treated as an independent
> company, even though they are all under one
> "umbrella."
>
If that is true the system is totally f'ed up...it makes no sense if you have a part-time job in the ODU library 4 hours per week and spending another 4 hours per week at the campus fitness center that you would need multiple sets of paperwork. The EIN is the same on the W-2...just more work on the tax return in addition to the printing and admin costs.

Posted by: Junes ()
Date: January 23, 2009 08:00PM

TomMadison Wrote:
> If that is true the system is totally f'ed up...it
> makes no sense if you have a part-time job in the
> ODU library 4 hours per week and spending another
> 4 hours per week at the campus fitness center that
> you would need multiple sets of paperwork. The
> EIN is the same on the W-2...just more work on the
> tax return in addition to the printing and admin
> costs.

If the fitness center is a leased department (subcontracted), but rolls up to ODU for payment, it is a separate entity and must maintain separate paperwork.

The system is not messed up, this is a common practice - the sub pays for insurance and maintenance of the fitness center and assumes liability - not ODU. The alternative is to overspend and then have to cut the the center the next budget year.

It isn't that much more work on the tax return. Anyone who works more than one job expects the "extra work on the tax return."

If it's too much of a hassle for you and your kid, I'm sure there at least a dozen other kids would love those jobs, and not even give the "extra work" a second thought.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: January 24, 2009 05:39PM

Because I said so, Now fill out the fucking form.

Posted by: shoemaker ()
Date: December 04, 2012 10:06PM

Answer I think Wrote:
> My guess is after he finishes each job his
> employment is terminated. So when he is rehired in
> a different department, he has to show is
> documentation again. The company I work for hires
> interns every summer and winter. If an intern is
> in over the summer and comes back for the winter,
> they have to show their info again.
>
> I don't know why the won't take the passport. It
> does say on the I-9 form that it is acceptable.

Posted by: Mad Raymond ()
Date: December 05, 2012 01:24PM

It says right at the top of the form "Employers CANNOT specify which document(s) they will accept from an employee."

So, refusal to accept the passport is Wrong. Maybe the student is reluctant to push back on this for fear of not getting the job?
Ray

PS, perhaps they do insist on seeing the social security card to make sure the number is correct. It was an easy number to remember when it was used for everything, now, not so much. Little Raymond frequently calls to ask for his number again...sigh.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2012 01:27PM by Mad Raymond.

Posted by: Old questions never die ()
Date: December 05, 2012 01:46PM

TomMadison Wrote:
> I guess, but it happened when he worked for two
> offices simultaneously and they both asked for an
> I-9 and W-4 which makes no sense whatsoever. I
> know that they are working off a checklist, but
> this is one of those process inefficiencies which
> really makes you scratch your head.

It makes sense that each supervisor wants to have an I9 form in their files.

If there was a central office to handle this paperwork, it would be an additional cost to the school. So each office or department is required to deal with this stuff individually to save money.

It would be easy to avoid filing any paperwork if your son just told each office that he had filed the form with the other office. Also, if someone goes looking to confirm this information, how would they know which office was the first one to employ your son? Which supervisor gets in trouble for not checking this information?

> As the Commonwealth looks for ways to save costs
> you have to wonder how many of these dumb
> processes waste millions each year.

I'm pretty sure this doesn't cost even thousands a year. But I would think setting up an office, or hiring a person to handle this stuff centrally would cost at least $100k a year.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.