HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
I’m in a Fight with Baseball
Posted by: Wil Cordero ()
Date: April 05, 2016 11:16PM

I am coming to terms that I’m in a bit of a fight with baseball. I am frustrated by the general state of affairs here in DC, especially with the situation surrounding Jonathan Papelbon, our new closer, who is a lamentable human being. His chokehold on Bryce Harper’s throat was the nadir of my sports memory in DC. That one moment of heated toxic masculinity worse than hundred loss seasons, worse than last place finishes, worse than crushing losses in the playoffs.

The end of last season was part Greek Tragedy, part Farce, and part crushing blow to my morale.

I had hoped the Nationals would cut him loose for the act, or that they might trade him for a bag of baseballs, or an usher, or even a beer guy from Milwaukee, and the $15M that the Nats would likely eat would be penance for ruining the career of Drew Storen, whom Papelbon replaced, and the ill-advised trade of Tyler Clippard.

If only our ownership was so devoted.

Instead, the Nationals doubled down on their commitment to the mistake, and to making the best of a bad situation, and they are trying to rehabilitate the image of Papelbon. They know that DC fans are fickle and desperate for a winning franchise, not having had one since before I was in high school. They know just how many local losers are willing to trade away their integrity for a parade down Pennsylvania Avenue, ending at the White House, where President Obama will take a picture in Bryce Harper’s trademark Raybans.

That’s the bet that the Lerners have placed, and it’s not an un-savvy one.

I just can’t be part of it.

This guy grabbed his teammate by the neck and squoze, and he paid a small fine for the privilege.

In fact, he filed a union grievance over the three game suspension the Nationals added to the four game suspension the league doled out.

And this is the crotch grabbing yahoo I’m supposed to cheer? Or even tolerate?

This is broken. This is wrong. And while I’ve been hoping that the Nationals would trade Papelbon at the last minute, or that he might suffer some injury in a clumsy manner, or that he might be devoured by a rogue bear, none of those things have happened to serve as a Deus ex Machina that could let me go to Opening Day - for this year, I have our good seats on my former best day of the year - with a clean conscience.

Instead my seats are on stubhub.

And I miss my friend, baseball, but while it tolerates, even celebrates, lamentable human beings with no common decency, I think I am finally past being willing to trade my integrity for borrowed glory.

And it hurts, and it makes me sad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I’m in a Fight with Baseball
Posted by: NippleChuck ()
Date: April 06, 2016 06:48AM

Doesn't sound like a fight to me it sounds like whining. While Papelbon is a looser if your going to bitch about whats wrong with the Nats how about Harper giving up last year and not hustling. Papelbon at least showed he has a set by expecting the golden boy to earn his money. Harper has talent and skills but in the game this past Monday looked like a bag in the outfield. He has shown a propensity to only give 100% when he feels like it and he gets away with that shit because the Lerners allow it.

Want to bitch about something? How about firing manager of the year in 2014 and hiring Crusty Baker? Da-Fug?!?!?!? That was the "fix" for Paplebon's high expectations for his team mates.

Want to bitch about something? How about letting Span go and keeping Werth? Da-Fug?!?!?! How'd Werth look this past Monday?

I'm a baseball fan and players like Harper have been put on pedestals all their baseball lives and it's obvious to the casual observer that guys like him think they are better than everyone else. That the other guys should feel privileged to share the field with him and people like you reinforce his narcissistic view of himself.

The Lerners are slipping into the Snyder method of sport franchise ownership believing they can replace managers, coaches and players while placating to the "stars" of the franchise like Harper. The discipline for last years incident should have been doled out to Harper for giving up and quitting on his club. While he is a very talented player he is spoiled and a cry baby who only thinks of himself.

You watch as this season comes down to the final games and Harper is giving up and whining that his team mates are the problem. All while San Francisco rolls through the season like a freight train and into the playoffs and wins another pennant. If the Nats care about winning they would model the franchise after San Fran or Baltimore or The Cubs and put together a winner from top management down to the guy that does the laundry with the emphasis on bringing the title to DC. But that costs money something Marc Lerner has a very difficult time letting go of because he is a cheap bastard.

Nip

Posted by: Righto ()
Date: April 06, 2016 07:05AM

NippleChuck is correct on so many points. Except on Dusty, he's an upgrade. I'll be at the ballpark this summer.

Posted by: Nipnotsignedin ()
Date: April 06, 2016 07:19AM

Hopefully I'm wrong about Dusty. He was a hell of a player in his day did well managing the Giants not so well with the Cubs and Reds. I wish him well. I will be at the ball park this season as well. Hopefully he can all the guys going in the same direction and they can win. I love this time of year as much as September. Go Nats!!!

Nip

Posted by: really? ()
Date: April 06, 2016 07:54AM

NippleChuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doesn't sound like a fight to me it sounds like
> whining. While Papelbon is a looser if your going
> to bitch about whats wrong with the Nats how about
> Harper giving up last year and not hustling.
> Papelbon at least showed he has a set by expecting
> the golden boy to earn his money. Harper has
> talent and skills but in the game this past Monday
> looked like a bag in the outfield. He has shown a
> propensity to only give 100% when he feels like it
> and he gets away with that shit because the
> Lerners allow it.
>
> Want to bitch about something? How about firing
> manager of the year in 2014 and hiring Crusty
> Baker? Da-Fug?!?!?!? That was the "fix" for
> Paplebon's high expectations for his team mates.
>
> Want to bitch about something? How about letting
> Span go and keeping Werth? Da-Fug?!?!?! How'd
> Werth look this past Monday?
>
> I'm a baseball fan and players like Harper have
> been put on pedestals all their baseball lives and
> it's obvious to the casual observer that guys like
> him think they are better than everyone else.
> That the other guys should feel privileged to
> share the field with him and people like you
> reinforce his narcissistic view of himself.
>
> The Lerners are slipping into the Snyder method of
> sport franchise ownership believing they can
> replace managers, coaches and players while
> placating to the "stars" of the franchise like
> Harper. The discipline for last years incident
> should have been doled out to Harper for giving up
> and quitting on his club. While he is a very
> talented player he is spoiled and a cry baby who
> only thinks of himself.
>
> You watch as this season comes down to the final
> games and Harper is giving up and whining that his
> team mates are the problem. All while San
> Francisco rolls through the season like a freight
> train and into the playoffs and wins another
> pennant. If the Nats care about winning they would
> model the franchise after San Fran or Baltimore or
> The Cubs and put together a winner from top
> management down to the guy that does the laundry
> with the emphasis on bringing the title to DC. But
> that costs money something Marc Lerner has a very
> difficult time letting go of because he is a cheap
> bastard.
>
> Nip

Cheap? Max Scherzer is costing $30M per year.

Werth's contract is guaranteed. Span was a free agent. In other words, keeping Werth costs you nothing, but Span costs you additional money. (I would not start Werth, but that is another matter.) It made no sense to make a qualifying offer to Span. He is near the end of his shelf life.

Winning Manager of the Year does not mean you are a great manager. They can't give it to Bruce Bochy every year.

No, Papelbon is not a "looser." He is the opposite of loose.

Posted by: Werthless ()
Date: April 06, 2016 08:20AM

Keeping Werth costs the Nats a roster spot and a starting position, lowering their chances of making the playoffs. Very expensive.

Posted by: fthehometeams ()
Date: April 06, 2016 10:13AM

Nats, Wizards, and Redskins gotta learn-

YOU HAVE TO SPEND MONEY TO MAKE MONEY.

If they keep being crappy, no one will pay to come see them. If they don't make the playoffs, no one will pay to come see them. No one paying= less money for them.

So if they want to make the playoffs/win a final for once, they need to SPEND MONEY to get the appropriate players/staff on board.

They are trying to run their clubs like a business, and only looking at the bottom line ($$$) instead of investing in it and watching it grow and making even MORE $$$ in the end. But no, they are too cheap to drop $100 million now to make $500 million when they win the title, with all the publicity, new fans, merchandise, etc etc etc....

but hey if they want to be cheap bastards and not pay for winners, let them lose I won't be in attendance wasting my money. And I was born and raised here. It's on them.

Date: April 06, 2016 11:37AM

^^^

The Nats have spent a ton of cash but the question can be asked of they spent wisely. Werth is a good example that they didn't and unfortunately they can't unload him or they have to pay him anyway. As stated earlier in the thread they let Span get away and it's a shame. He would have been money well spent. Shame about Clifford too. That's a deal that is going to come back and bite them in the ass sooner or later. Hopefully they can do it this season but they are betting on Harper, Zimmerman and werth to be the big bats and if just one of them stumble they will feel the pressure. Werth if you are reading this just do us all a favor and quit baseball or better yet go play for the Mets.

Nip

Posted by: get a life ()
Date: April 06, 2016 11:43AM

Baseball is stupid. Get over it and get a life. When they went on strike there was no baseball for a while and the world did not end.

How this lame game ended up as America's pastime is beyond me.

Posted by: ArnieH ()
Date: April 06, 2016 12:18PM

They need to shorten the season to 50 games. That would be 10 pitcher starts, with 5 rotations. Way too long a season of 162 games. Many games put me to sleep.

Date: April 06, 2016 01:02PM

^^^

They will never shorten the season unless they dilute the play offs by adding ways for teams to get in to lengthen them. The more games the more money for the owners. Let's don't forget who is running things here.

Nip

Posted by: The real deal... ()
Date: April 06, 2016 07:19PM

The Nats HAD to sign Jayson Werth in 2010 because he was the marquee free agent of that off-season, and the team needed to show the world that they were going to be serious players going forward. It was a no-brainer.

Posted by: Fox News ()
Date: April 06, 2016 07:54PM

Baseball is not a sport. Soccer is. Deal with it!
- Gandhi

IreNzw.gif

Date: April 07, 2016 06:38AM

The real deal... Wrote:
> The Nats HAD to sign Jayson Werth in 2010 because
> he was the marquee free agent of that off-season,
> and the team needed to show the world that they
> were going to be serious players going forward.
> It was a no-brainer.

All well and good. But he is a bust. Too many times at the plate in huge games and he chokes. I have to hand it to him though he has carved out a very comfortable living as a player and made his agent a ton of money. That's my frustration with him. Early on he looked like an elite top tier player who would do great things and somewhere along the line he lost the drive. It happens. These guys have been playing ball since they were 5 years old and they get burned out. They get tired of the pressure and expectations. Hell the guy is under 30 and is expected to provide for everyone in his family, his agent and get at least 2 hits a game. I can see where the pressure of being expected to do all that could be daunting. Look at him as he comes to the plate, it's like he's a zombie. Judging by his body language and his lack of enthusiasm I'd say he just doesn't enjoy playing anymore. I wish him well and hope he finds what makes him happy but it's apparent that it isn't batting in the 7 spot and playing left field for the Nats.

Nip

Posted by: The real deal... ()
Date: April 07, 2016 09:43AM

Jayson Werth was born on May 20, 1979. His first season in Washington was 2011. His batting average over six seasons with the Nationals has been .271. That's exactly what his 14-year MLB average is.

Posted by: realfunny ()
Date: April 07, 2016 12:12PM

I don't know what's funnier...
Someone longing for the mental weakness of Storen
or
someone longing for Matt Williams

Posted by: it's simple ()
Date: April 07, 2016 06:04PM

You don't like it, don't watch it.

The fuck outta here with your whining. One more empty seat for a true fan.

Posted by: RoadApples ()
Date: April 08, 2016 10:45PM

I am not a fan of Papelbon due to him headhunting Machado .
That being said when Harper was entering the dugout while Papelbon was complaining about him not hustling up the line: Harper did indeed say "bring it f***ing on"; consequently Papelbon brought it on and Harper was not physically prepared for the assault and subsequently got schooled .

Posted by: Piss on Paps ()
Date: April 09, 2016 09:30AM

...and the schooler promptly got sat down for the rest of the season. He was out of line for yapping out of turn, and out of line for choking people. If his market value hadn't immediately gone to zero, he'd have been traded out of town over the off-season. That clock is still ticking.

Posted by: Poor Bryce ()
Date: April 09, 2016 09:46AM

RoadApples Wrote:
> I am not a fan of Papelbon due to him headhunting
> Machado .
> That being said when Harper was entering the
> dugout while Papelbon was complaining about him
> not hustling up the line: Harper did indeed say
> "bring it f***ing on"; consequently Papelbon
> brought it on and Harper was not physically
> prepared for the assault and subsequently
> got schooled .

This is correct, Harper should have either kept walking or put up his fists, he chose to run his mouth again and got shut the fuck up.

Fuck the Os, I hope Papelbon goes up high on them again.

Posted by: cmdnm ()
Date: April 09, 2016 10:13AM

Go get excited over UFC, you asshole. There's no room for people like you in baseball.

Posted by: Make baseball great again ()
Date: April 09, 2016 10:31AM

cmdnm Wrote:
> Go get excited over UFC, you asshole. There's no
> room for people like you in baseball.

Sorry for upsetting your tender sensibilities. MLB is a men's league.

Posted by: JWjn7 ()
Date: April 09, 2016 10:33AM

So be a man, not a barbarian asshole.

Posted by: Vexxxed ()
Date: April 09, 2016 10:38AM

Poor Bryce Wrote:

> This is correct, Harper should have either kept
> walking or put up his fists, he chose to run his
> mouth again and got shut the fuck up.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/157684172/nationals-bryce-harper-wins-nl-mvp-award

What's Pap got to show for his ten minutes on the team last year?

Posted by: Shut it ()
Date: April 09, 2016 11:01AM

Vexxxed Wrote:
> Poor Bryce Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > This is correct, Harper should have either kept
> > walking or put up his fists, he chose to run
> his
> > mouth again and got shut the fuck up.
>
> http://m.mlb.com/news/article/157684172/nationals-
> bryce-harper-wins-nl-mvp-award
>
>
> What's Pap got to show for his ten minutes on the
> team last year?

Big mouth Harper said where's my ring. Papelbon should have used his ring to pop Bryce in the lip

Posted by: how true ()
Date: April 09, 2016 12:52PM

get a life Wrote:
> Baseball is stupid. Get over it and get a life.
> When they went on strike there was no baseball for
> a while and the world did not end.
>
> How this lame game ended up as America's pastime
> is beyond me.

+1

Posted by: NippleChuck ()
Date: April 09, 2016 04:59PM

how true Wrote:
> get a life Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Baseball is stupid. Get over it and get a life.
> > When they went on strike there was no baseball
> for
> > a while and the world did not end.
> >
> > How this lame game ended up as America's
> pastime
> > is beyond me.
>
>
> +1

Soccer Fags.

Nip

Posted by: VxvWw ()
Date: April 12, 2016 10:54AM

VxvWw

Posted by: da bumper ()
Date: April 18, 2016 07:41PM

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.