HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
T-Mobile vs Verizon
Posted by: Thinking about switching ()
Date: January 21, 2014 03:01PM

I'm on a family plan with Verizon now but need to do an upgrade soon. I've been looking at the offers that T-Mobile has and they look pretty good. For example they will pay any termination fees for my phones under contract. Their pricing model unbundles the phones from the service. And there is no contract.

Just wondering how happy any of you users of T-Mobile are and if anyone has noticed poor service or dropped calls. I live in the Fairfax City area so reception there is important. I appreciate any input about your T-Mobile experiences.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: T-Mobile vs Verizon
Posted by: Dan the Weatherman ()
Date: January 21, 2014 03:05PM

I use virgin mobile. Cuz im a virgin.

Posted by: Just do it! ()
Date: January 21, 2014 04:00PM

I have T-mobile and you should switch. The service is great on the east coast as a whole (cannot comment anywhere else because I have not been). There are a couple dead spots - near Burke Lake Rd. on the parkway is the one I can remember off the top of my head. The 4G services work everywhere also (except exit 104 off of 95). Be careful if you buy the phone at the store and do not want the insurance ($10/mo) - they will sign you up for it automatically, but it is a quick fix to change on your online account.

Date: January 21, 2014 04:02PM

Just stick with verizon. It looks more professional.

Date: January 21, 2014 04:04PM

And they have great 4g lte coverage. T-mobile doesn't. They use slower 4g. Of course I recommend AT&T which doesn't have a lot of LTE coverage, but covers fairfax and is faster. I have AT&T

Posted by: T-mobile user ()
Date: January 21, 2014 04:26PM

Actually, T-mobile does have LTE and my phone shows LTE service pretty consistently around Fairfax County. There is one problem that I find with T-mobile: some phones do not pick up service as well as other phones (namely the lower-quality smartphones). But, you can always exchange the phone if yours is a dud.

Posted by: Anon Y. Mouse ()
Date: January 21, 2014 05:00PM

T-Mobile in Fairfax County is very good, and LTE service is widely available in the DC area. It's worth noting that T-Mobile's 4G service (what you'll get when LTE isn't available) is much, much faster than Verizon's non-LTE fallback (typical performance of 10-15 Mbit/s for HSPA+ versus 2-3 Mbit/s).

Verizon does have a better signal footprint in fringe areas, but if you don't spend most of your time in remote places, switch to T-Mobile and don't look back.

Date: January 21, 2014 06:00PM

But again, I recommend AT&T which is fastest LTE and best customer service, next to Cox. Then again, the prices of Verizon are the same as AT&T, so no difference

Posted by: Thinking about switching ()
Date: January 21, 2014 07:19PM

Thanks for the input. T-Mobile does have 4G LTE and they claim to have the fastest 4G LTE. I mainly an in the NOVA area but do travel up and down 95, Norfolk also. Their map looks like it covers that area pretty well.

Just do it! - Thanks for the advise on the insurance. I have it on all my phones and it has been well worth it for me and my almost grown kids. I find their Jump plan interesting, though I don't think I would upgrade every 6 months.

Posted by: 73kMe ()
Date: January 21, 2014 08:22PM

Tmobile works great around here.Here being Nova.It does not work well in rural areas.Like wv.Verizon has better nation wide coverage.

Posted by: I would recommend... ()
Date: January 21, 2014 08:43PM

Thinking about switching Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm on a family plan with Verizon now but need to
> do an upgrade soon. I've been looking at the
> offers that T-Mobile has and they look pretty
> good. For example they will pay any termination
> fees for my phones under contract. Their pricing
> model unbundles the phones from the service. And
> there is no contract.
>
> Just wondering how happy any of you users of
> T-Mobile are and if anyone has noticed poor
> service or dropped calls. I live in the Fairfax
> City area so reception there is important. I
> appreciate any input about your T-Mobile
> experiences.

DirecTv.

They don't have a "family plan" but they do have "family programming".

There hd channel offerings are much more superior to Verizon, I sm not much knowledgeable of globules channel packages I must say.

DirecTvs remote is nice.

I would recommend directv because there commercial is funny.

I hope this helps you.

Posted by: Employee ()
Date: January 21, 2014 11:35PM

Actually, speed tests show that T-Mobile has the fastest data connections in major metropolitan areas.

Posted by: John Wiggins ()
Date: January 22, 2014 12:21AM

Tmobile has good prices. If only they had a cellular network so you could actually make calls with your cellphone, they'd be perfect!

Date: January 22, 2014 09:53AM

Not to sound rude, but T-mobile isn't exactly the most eye appealing carrier. And AT&T is faster.

Posted by: The now network ()
Date: January 22, 2014 11:26AM

Fuckwithmeyouknowigotit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to sound rude, but T-mobile isn't exactly the
> most eye appealing carrier. And AT&T is faster.

Sprint is the best. They 4g and iphonepad.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.