HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: FCPS grading policy--school board on notice
Posted by: highstandards ()
Date: January 12, 2009 08:17AM

Today's Washington Post Editorial agrees with Jack Dale and states that Fairfax County Public Schools should keep the current grading scales and maintain their high standards.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: whynot ()
Date: January 12, 2009 09:12PM

why not get rid of the letters and just go with numbers?

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: January 12, 2009 09:29PM

kolledges will be confused.

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: January 12, 2009 11:26PM

highstandards Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Today's Washington Post Editorial agrees with Jack
> Dale and states that Fairfax County Public Schools
> should keep the current grading scales and
> maintain their high standards.

As if they can't have high standards AND the same grading scale as the rest of the country! What a silly argument. Clearly the Post doesn't understand the problems the grading scale causes, or they, like Dale and his staff, don't care.

Posted by: Fairfax County Schoolboard ()
Date: January 12, 2009 11:55PM

YAWN.... We don't care what you mommy's think. Get a life. Go bang your husbands.

Posted by: steve k ()
Date: January 13, 2009 12:10AM

Neen Wrote:
> highstandards Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Today's Washington Post Editorial agrees with
> Jack
> > Dale and states that Fairfax County Public
> Schools
> > should keep the current grading scales and
> > maintain their high standards.
>
> As if they can't have high standards AND the same
> grading scale as the rest of the country! What a
> silly argument. Clearly the Post doesn't
> understand the problems the grading scale causes,
> or they, like Dale and his staff, don't care.

Clearly the scale does not cause a problem, and it's just a bunch of parents with their panties up in a bunch. It's been around a long time and believe me as a parent it causes no problems, but thats already been argued earlier. Then do you blame them for not caring, who the hell does?

Posted by: Read up ()
Date: January 13, 2009 12:37AM

This post here sums up all the moms that post here:
http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/145377.html

Posted by: Neen ()
Date: January 13, 2009 02:18AM

Pssstttt......all you brainiacs, the school board is agreeing with Fairgrade. They won.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/12/AR2009011202941.html

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: January 13, 2009 04:08AM

Then I guess you need to shut up and get moving on getting my back-grades changed, neen. I was always a student on the margins during my time in FFX schools, so I demand my letter grades all be changed to reflect the new system. I suspect I would gain up .75 points of gpa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2009 04:21AM by RESton Peace.

Posted by: inflation ()
Date: January 13, 2009 07:28AM

Yes, let's just inflate the grades of underperforming kids so they can get into colleges that they can't possibly stay in for four years.

Grade inflation....that's all this is!

Posted by: ExportYourJobsAndImportYourProducts ()
Date: January 13, 2009 10:55AM

Read up Wrote:
> This post here sums up all the moms that post
> here:
> http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/145
> 377.html

nice to see

Posted by: Voices of Change ()
Date: January 17, 2009 08:44PM

It is time for a change. It is past time. Even a commissioner on the U.S. Commission on civil rights is speaking out about how unfair the Fairfax County grading policy is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-St9HfpF3ao

Posted by: Awakened ()
Date: January 17, 2009 11:22PM

_

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 07:32PM by Awakened.

Posted by: raz ()
Date: January 18, 2009 12:30AM

Who cares about edukachun and SATS. Next year I get my new uniform! GOd damnit. Gotta shake the fries.

Posted by: ExportYourJobsImportYourProducts ()
Date: January 19, 2009 12:10PM

board meets Thursday at Luther Jackson [Gallows and 50]----

Dear FAIRGRADE Supporter,

Please read the following update. Our apologies for the length, but it contains important information you need to know for this week. This information has also been posted to our website at www.FAIRGRADE.org.

At the School Board work session on 1.12.09, several members of the School Board recognized that the public has lost confidence in the current grading scale. The School Board's consensus was to ask Superintendent Dale to review a number of alternative grading scales, and make a recommendation within 2 - 2 1/2 months about how, precisely, to change the grading scale. The School Board also asked Superintendent Dale to make a grading scale change effective for the 2009-2010 school year.

FAIRGRADE shares the public’s concerns about any further delays in this process. We need only seven of the 12 School Board members to vote YES this Thursday, January 22nd, for a motion to change both the weights for advanced courses and the grading scale – also known as OPTION D in the FCPS report.

Here is how you can be most effective.

1. Make plans to attend the School Board meeting on Thursday, January 22nd – 7:00pm at Luther Jackson Middle School located at 3020 Gallows Road in Falls Church.

The School Board will vote on the grading policy issue and it is CRITICAL that we have FAIRGRADE supporters at this meeting. Over 1000 supporters showed up at the January 8th, 2009 School Board meeting and it made a HUGE impact on the School Board. The School Board needs to see and hear the community’s strong support for OPTION D and its implementation for the Fall 2009 school year. This grassroots showing is IMPERATIVE.

You may also sign up to speak at the School Board meeting. Go to http://www.fcps.edu/schlbd/index.htm to sign up online. You may also sign up by calling School Board office during normal business hours at 571.423.1075.

DO NOT LEAVE ACTION TO OTHERS. ATTEND THIS MEETING.

The School Board meeting will begin at 7:00pm in the auditorium of Luther Jackson Middle School - 3020 Gallows Road in Falls Church. The speaker’s list will begin around 7:30pm. A vote on the grading policy is not expected until about 9:30pm. We encourage attendees to come for part or all of the meeting.

2. Call and email Superintendent Dale and the School Board and urge them to support OPTION D – which changes both the weights for advanced courses and the grading scale.

FAIRGRADE requests that your communications to School Board members and Dr. Dale stay focused on the facts and demonstrate reasonable expectations.

• With regards to admissions, a change in the grading scale can impact both the student’s LETTER GRADES and GPA. It may not increase a student’s chances of being accepted to Virginia public universities because several state schools are unable to admit all of the qualified applicants from Northern Virginia. Therefore, grading scale changes will likely have a greater impact for students applying to out-of-state universities and private in-state universities. Most importantly, a grading scale change will impact a larger percentage of students than a change in weights for advanced courses.

• With regards to GPAs, the FCPS report cites that the maximum average bump to a student’s GPA under a straight, 10-point grading scale would be 0.17 increase in a student’s GPA – a modest but important gain for college admissions, merit scholarship opportunities, honors program placement, NCAA eligibility, and good driver insurance discounts.

• Also, if you have a child in middle school taking Honors courses, please be aware that regular middle school Honors courses do not apply towards high school GPA and, therefore, would not be weighted. Only high-school level Honors courses taken in middle school would be weighted.

In our lobbying efforts of School Board officials this week, FAIRGRADE is advocating for a 10-point scale with pluses and minuses. The Board seems most receptive to this type of scale because FCPS students demonstrate varying degrees of academic success and it addresses the concerns of School Board members who do not want the pass/fail bar in FCPS to be lowered.

A 10-point scale with pluses and minuses provides a more accurate picture of a student’s performance in any given class. For example, a student striving for a 95 would be in the A range while the student striving for a 90 would be in the A- range.

To aid you in better understanding what a scale with pluses and minuses looks like, we are including a SAMPLE of the 10-point scale (with pluses and minuses) that FAIRGRADE sees commonly used by equally rigorous and competitive school districts in the United States (a chart with this information is available at www.FAIRGRADE.org:

Final Letter/Grade Numeric range/Unweighted Quality Points

A/ 93-100/ 4.0

A-/ 90-92/ 3.7

B+/ 87-89/ 3.3

B/ 83-86/ 3.0

B-/ 80-82/ 2.7

C+/ 77-79/ 2.3

C/ 73-76/ 2.0

C-/ 70-72/ 1.7

D+/ 67-69/ 1.3

D/ 63-66/ 1.0

D-/ 60-62/ 0.7

F <60 0

*NOTE: Some high schools include an A+ (Numeric range of 98-100 and unweighted quality points of 4.3) in their model of the 10-point grading scale.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS.

Thank you for your continued support.

FAIRGRADE

Posted by: ExportYourJobsImportYourProducts ()
Date: January 21, 2009 07:08PM

vote is tomorrow, I never could get a reply from my rep

Dear FAIRGRADE Supporter,

The School Board is voting Thursday, January 22nd on the Grading Policy.

YOUR ATTENDANCE AT THIS MEETING IS CRITICAL! Over 1000 supporters attended the last meeting and it made a huge impression on the School Board. Your attendance this Thursday is more important than ever! Wear white and come show the School Board the changes you want now.

DATE: Thursday, January 22, 2009

TIME: 7:00pm - The actual vote is expected around 9:30pm.

ADDRESS: Luther Jackson Middle School - 3020 Gallows Road in Falls Church

SIGN-UP SHEETS: When you arrive tomorrow night, please sign in at the FAIRGRADE desk in the lobby. We have been contacted by national media outlets covering this issue who want an accurate head count of FAIRGRADE supporters in attendance. We also want to share these numbers with the School Board.

THE VOTE: FAIRGRADE supports retroactive weighting for AP/IB courses and all qualifying Honors courses and a 10-point scale with pluses and minuses. Please continue sending emails to the School Board impressing the fact that you want implementation of the 10-point scale with pluses and minuses beginning the 2009-2010 school year SO THAT ALL STUDENTS WILL BENEFIT, and that you want retroactive weighting not only for AP/IB courses, but for qualifying Honors courses as well. Consult our website at www.FAIRGRADE.org for more details.

PROTOCOL: Emotions on this issue are running high throughout the community. It will benefit our cause if all participants, especially members of FAIRGRADE, act professionally and respect the protocol of the meeting. It is important we leave the School Board with a good impression.

PARKING: Large crowds are expected. We recommend you arrive early and carpool. Additional parking is available behind Luther Jackson MS, the shopping plaza next to the Luther Jackson MS, and the parking lot near Sweetwater Tavern. If the auditorium is crowded, PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE. Go to one of the overflow rooms to watch the proceedings, and please sign the attendance sheet in the lobby!

WHAT TO EXPECT: Please WEAR WHITE. The meeting will begin promptly at 7:00pm. At least half of the 10 available speaker spots have been secured by people speaking about the FCPS grading policy. The speakers will go first. Typically, the Chairman of the School Board will ask that anyone supporting the speaker’s position respectfully stand while the speaker presents their statement. At the conclusion of the speaker’s list, you are welcome to leave, or you may stay until 9:30pm when a vote on the grading policy is expected.

Don’t leave action to others. Please do your part on Thursday, 1.22.09, at Luther Jackson Middle School at 7:00pm.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO FRIENDS AND NEIGHBORS.

Posted by: final thoughts ()
Date: January 22, 2009 03:49PM

Tonight's the night for the vote on the policy. Any predictions?

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: January 22, 2009 03:51PM

final thoughts Wrote:
> Tonight's the night for the vote on the policy.
> Any predictions?

One group of people is going to be happy, and another group of people are going to be pissed off.

Posted by: Awakened ()
Date: January 22, 2009 05:15PM

_

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 07:30PM by Awakened.

Posted by: nyynym25 ()
Date: January 22, 2009 11:24PM

The board just voted to recommend to change the scale.

Posted by: oaktonmom ()
Date: January 22, 2009 11:30PM

Congratulations FAIRGRADE. I know many volunteers put an incredible number of hours into this effort. Thank you from a grateful parent.

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: January 23, 2009 12:16AM

They just voted to have Dale bring back some options by the end of March, and then some time after that, they'll have another vote on what exactly to do.

Posted by: woeyou ()
Date: January 23, 2009 01:13AM

so now kids who have a good gpa are going to compete with kids who get the boost into the other kids turf due to a change. and you ask yourself why kids in nova have a hard time getting into state colleges? add this as another reason why billy with a 3.7 wont go to UVA when leroy with a 3.0 will go to uva and leroy is in southern part of virginia. I can't wait until i read that thread on here from some yappy parent who overpaid for a house in reston/great falls bitchin about it.

Posted by: HUH? ()
Date: January 23, 2009 01:56AM

Now FCPS kids will have the same gpa's as the rest of the state. That will make it even more difficult for state schools to discriminate against our students.

Posted by: info ()
Date: January 23, 2009 05:38AM

HUH? Wrote:
> Now FCPS kids will have the same gpa's as the rest
> of the state. That will make it even more
> difficult for state schools to discriminate
> against our students.

Actually, other VA districts use the 6 point scale, the nearby ones are Loudoun, Fauquier and Prince William. I believe Fairgrade was primarily concerned about out of state schools. My fear is that the in-state schools that clearly knew and understand the FCPS scale, will now have a harder time, but out of state might be easier.

Date: January 23, 2009 05:39AM

Oh, and Alexandria also uses the 6 point scale.

Posted by: oaktonmom ()
Date: January 23, 2009 06:23AM

Loudoun uses a 7 point scale, but will soon be changing to a ten point scale. It is well documented that their SB has been waiting to see what FCPS decided.

Date: January 23, 2009 06:37AM

oaktonmom Wrote:
> Loudoun uses a 7 point scale, but will soon be
> changing to a ten point scale. It is well
> documented that their SB has been waiting to see
> what FCPS decided.

You're right, theirs is one point off from ours. My main point was to the one poster saying it will be more in line with the rest of the state. There are at least 4 districts that use the 6 (in Loudoun 7) point scale in VA. There are probably more, but I never bothered to look further out than Fauquier. The only district in VA close to us, that uses the 10 point scale, is Arlington. The issue wasn't other VA districts and VA schools, it was an issue for out of state schools not understanding the FCPS scale.

Posted by: Schools ()
Date: January 23, 2009 07:22PM

FCPS is most likely going to make the change retroactive 6 years only for high school level classes.

Prince William is also on a 7 point scale...

Date: January 25, 2009 04:58PM

Schools Wrote:
> FCPS is most likely going to make the change
> retroactive 6 years only for high school level
> classes.
>
> Prince William is also on a 7 point scale...

What do you mean, "6 years"? Are you saying it will go back to the current juniors 7th grade year for high school courses (Algebra 1, Geometry and languages)?

Oh, and Chesterfield and other districts in southern VA, including near Roanoke and Richmond use a 6 or 7 point scale. Perhaps only Falls Church and Arlington were on the 10 point scale LOL.
Thanks for the correction that instead of a 6 point PW is 7 points. I am sure that makes a huge difference in the point I had made previously:-).

March will be when we truly hear what is going to happen. At this point the .5 increase for AP and IB has taken place (so it will now be a full weighted point for those courses), and this will assist current seniors whose transcripts will be mailed in Feb.

In my opinion the weighting will be the only true payoff, as I truly think B students will be B students and A students will be A students whether there is a 6 point or 10 point scale. I seriously doubt there were many kids pulling consistent 93s across the board, and those would be the only ones truly shut out of scholarships that if there were on a 10 point scale they would have qualified for.

Posted by: JACK DALEE ()
Date: May 06, 2014 09:42AM

Why isnt 60 passing?

Posted by: wha ()
Date: May 06, 2014 12:32PM

Well that is a dumb question. It depends where they go. If they went to West Virginia of course they feel smarter, if they go to Harvard maybe not. FCPS is up to par with any school system in this country.

Pages: Previous12All
Current Page: 2 of 2

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.