HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
'Firehouse primary' set to pick Republican candidate for Wolf's seat
Posted by: NOVA Politics ()
Date: January 25, 2014 03:30AM

'Firehouse primary' set to pick Republican candidate for Wolf's seat
http://www.leesburgtoday.com/news/republicans-will-select-candidate-to-fill-wolf-s-seat-through/article_77031a0c-84a5-11e3-be70-001a4bcf887a.html

The Republicans will choose their nominee to succeed Congressman Frank Wolf through a party canvass, or more commonly referred to as a firehouse primary.

The 10th Congressional District Republican Committee voted Thursday night to hold a firehouse primary April 26. The primary will be held at 10 locations throughout the district, two in both Loudoun and Fairfax counties and one in each of the other jurisdictions included in the district: Prince William County, Frederick County, Clarke County, Winchester, Manassas City and Manassas Park.

A firehouse primary is open to all voters who live in the 10th District. To be eligible to vote, a resident must be a registered voter and sign a certificate declaring to be a Republican. Voters in Virginia do not register by political party.

Comments made by the 17 committee members before the vote indicated most supported a convention over an open primary—one that would be conducted by state election officials—to select their candidate. But John Whitbeck, chairman of the committee, proposed holding a firehouse primary as a compromise among the voting members—it’s a party-run process that does not spend taxpayer dollars but it is more open than a convention—and, he said, it also is logistically easier. A convention would require space for as many as 10,000 people.

“I don’t know where we’ll can hold a convention and I’m not going to turn anyone away,” he said. “Let’s find a process we can all agree on, come out of here united and win this election.”

The committee’s vote comes on the heels of the 33rd District state Senate race that made the local Republican party appeared splintered. Whitbeck ran as the Republican nominee for the seat to succeed newly sworn-in Attorney General Mark Herring, and Joe May, a 20-year Republican delegate, ran as an Independent after Republican party chose to select their candidate through a mass meeting instead of a firehouse primary.

In Tuesday’s special election, Republican votes were split between Whitbeck and May, and Democrat Jennifer Wexton won the seat with close to 53 percent of the vote.

Several attending Thursday’s committee meeting cited that loss as a learning opportunity.

“John’s defeat can be traced back to what we did wrong in the state Senate race,” Greg Stone said, advocating an open primary to fill Wolf’s seat. “We have a situation here where a convention is probably not the way to go. We need to be smart enough and nimble enough to look at what’s happening and come together to win this election.”

Wolf is not seeking re-election this year after representing the district since 1981.

Four candidates vying for the GOP nomination to replace the Republican attended the committee meeting, including Del. Barbara Comstock (R-34), who is seen as the early front-runner after state Sen. Dick Black (R-13) dropped out of the race Thursday.

In an interview with Leesburg Today before the meeting, Comstock said she only wanted a process that the entire party could agree on. “No matter what process they choose, we’re in,” she said. “I’ve raised my kids in this district, started my business here and worked for Congressman Wolf on behalf of the district. I’m all in.”

In a short speech, Comstock gently reminded the committee members and the roughly 40 others who sat in the audience that she can win in historically blue districts. “I’m the only elected Republican inside the beltway,” she said, and she told them it was Wolf who encouraged her to run for the House of Delegates four years ago “when everyone said we couldn’t possibly win. And we did…Now we need to bring that same commonsense conservatism that has worked in Virginia to Congress.”

Stephen Hollingshead, a Leesburg resident who was a senior advisor in the Bush Administration, told the committee he is entering the race, as did National Association of Independent Housing Professionals President Marc Savitt, of Frederick County, and Brent Anderson, of Chantilly.

Three Democrats are seeking their party's nomination: attorney Richard Bolger, Fairfax Supervisor John Foust, and architect and author Sam Kubba. The 10th District Democrats will vote on how to select their nominee Feb. 8.

10th Congressional District Republican Committee voted unanimously tonight to hold a "firehouse primary" April 26 to select its candidate to succeed Congressman Frank Wolf.
Attachments:
52e287cd2c1b0_preview-300.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 'Firehouse primary' set to pick Republican candidate for Wolf's seat
Posted by: Not Frank Wolfie ()
Date: January 25, 2014 12:22PM

There won't be a firehouse primary on 4/26 because the Washington Power Establishment within the GOP (aka Wall Street's lackies) are determined to clear the field for Comstock: witness Black announcing he's in on Monday; followed by announcing he's out on Wednesday.

Bab's entire tenure in the House of Delegates has consisted of her placating the Tea Party while she waited for Wolfie to retire. The rest of the time she phoned it in.

Number of bills passed where good ol' Babs was chief patron = 0!

Dickie, boy, what did they promise you or, more likely, what did they threaten you with, to get you to drop out so fast?

Posted by: Joker  ()
Date: January 25, 2014 12:28PM

Comstock had this locked up as soon as she announced. She crushed her last opponent less than 3 months ago and her district closely aligns with Wolf's. Black was a distraction. They should just give her the seat.

Posted by: Not Kathleen Murphy ()
Date: January 25, 2014 12:57PM

Joker  Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Comstock had this locked up as soon as she announced. She crushed her last opponent less than 3 months ago and her district closely aligns with Wolf's. Black was a distraction. They should just give her the seat.<

Winning by 422 votes out of 29,544 total votes cast against a first-time candidate ain't crushing anybody. It was barely outside the recount margin.

Babs is seriously damaged goods.

The Congressional District reaches across Loudoun, where Wexton just cleaned Whitbeck's clock, in a snowstorm; all the way out to the City of Winchester.

Fairfax and Loudoun will decide the race.

Posted by: Ben Tribbet's mannequin ()
Date: January 25, 2014 01:29PM

But Babs is cuter than Foust.

At least when she gets all her war paint on.

BTW is that Foust's real hair?

Posted by: Imad Afif Hezbollah ()
Date: January 25, 2014 01:37PM

What is this horseshit about signing a certificate saying you're a Republican? Is it legally binding? I thought it was an open primary in VA.

Can I just write in "Go Fuck Yourselves" on the signature line?

I'd like to vote for the most bigoted, nut job the Republican Party has to offer.

Posted by: Debbie Downer Democrat II ()
Date: January 25, 2014 04:34PM

Wexton vs. Whitbeck? Just another example of the "Liberation" of northern Virginia. It's all a mindset. NoVA is doomed. Liberals promising more freedom for citizens ... while continuously taking away the rights of the citizens. When will NoVA wake up?

Abortion will never be decided at the state level when it comes to Virginia politics. The Virginia legislature can't turn over a supreme court decision, yet the Liberals love to make it appear so and cast fear in the eyes of the voters in order to get more votes.

Foust? How effective has he really been on the Fairfax county board of supervisors? I don't hear or read a lot about any great efforts that he puts forth. We have enough lackeys working for Obama. We don't need another by sending Foust to capital hill.

Posted by: Debbie Downer Democrat II ()
Date: January 25, 2014 04:36PM

Imad Afif Hezbollah Wrote:
> What is this horseshit about signing a certificate
> saying you're a Republican? Is it legally
> binding? I thought it was an open primary in VA.
>

Primaries are open to all Virginians. You don't have to prove association with any party. I vote in all the primaries, whether there is an "R" or a "D" involved. I carefully follow all client - not just one party.

I'm an independent conservative - neither a "R" nor a "D".

Posted by: Abe Lincoln ()
Date: January 26, 2014 08:56AM

> What is this horseshit about signing a certificate
> saying you're a Republican? Is it legally
> binding? I thought it was an open primary in VA.

Not legally binding

> Can I just write in "Go Fuck Yourselves" on the
> signature line?

If its legible you probably won't get a ballot.

> I'd like to vote for the most bigoted, nut job the
> Republican Party has to offer.

The 10th CD Democrats will love you for that.

Posted by: Not Scott York ()
Date: January 27, 2014 03:48PM

The 10th also has 40,000 voters in PWC. And all of Manassas which is bigger than Winchester.

BTW Babs lost 6 precincts in the 10th last November and the absentees and the provisionals.

Looking a littel sketchy there, girlfriend.

Is there a sane female R in Loudoun who wants a shot at this?

Rumor is stuffed-shirt Minchew is sniffing around this race.

Posted by: Debbie Downer Democrat IV ()
Date: January 27, 2014 04:29PM

>
> Can I just write in "Go Fuck Yourselves" on the
> signature line?

Of course you can. But you should really read up on the ballots and how they are processed within the state of Virginia. Most likely, your will hit the trash and not be counted in any way. If you feel like showing up to apply the said vote, please do indulge yourself. It's your time you'll be wasting and not mine.

Posted by: Not Ayn Rand ()
Date: January 27, 2014 09:29PM

Debbie Downer Democrat IV Wrote:
> Imad Afif Hezbollah Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > Can I just write in "Go Fuck Yourselves" on the
> > signature line?
>
> Of course you can. But you should really read up
> on the ballots and how they are processed within
> the state of Virginia. Most likely, your will hit
> the trash and not be counted in any way. If you
> feel like showing up to apply the said vote,
> please do indulge yourself. It's your time you'll
> be wasting and not mine.

Imad was writing about the declaration that participants in party sponsored firehouse primaries are asked to sign; not the ballot.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.