HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Failure to pay full time attention
Posted by: kevtrey ()
Date: October 07, 2013 10:43PM

So I'm making a left from James swart cir onto Jermantown rd and I'm following my GPS... turns out you supposedly can't make a left there. It's 10:00 PM on a weeknight so no traffic. An officer pulls me over and gives me a ticket for failure to pay full time attention. Should I fight it? Seems like this police officer was out to give tickets and not protect people. I'm going to go back to the spot to see if there really are any signs around there that say no left turns because I didn't see one... I've never had a ticket before and this makes me mad enough to waste 2-3 hours of a weekday in court.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2013 10:43PM by kevtrey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Failure to pay full time attention
Posted by: FFXU Librarian ()
Date: October 07, 2013 10:48PM

Please see : http://www.fairfaxunderground.com/forum/read/2/1087992.html

This spot is a common trap spot. It can be beat as well, see thread for details.

Does "PIERCE" ring a bell? :)

Posted by: pay it ()
Date: October 07, 2013 10:54PM

If there is a sign there, prepay the fine. You will not win. Cops are out there to do a job and writing tickets is one of them. It does not matter that it was 10pm and there was no traffic.

Posted by: alakazam ()
Date: October 07, 2013 10:59PM

Failure to pay full time and attention is a county code, therefore no points go on your license. If you prepay it's a $30 fine and a $62 processing fee. If you go to court the fine is up to whatever judge you get (they could drop it or max it out at $250) and the processing fee goes up to around $90. Still feel like wasting 2-3 hours in court?

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: October 07, 2013 11:05PM

If you go in and use the "GPS told me" defense the jdge will get dickish and ask "If th GPS told you to drive into the river would you?" or something equally easy a set up.

Sucks to get popped but live and learn, you will be more frustrated if you waste half a day in that fucking courthouse with the parking and metal detectors and hanging with county vermin awaiting your hearing.

Prepay and have a drink.

Posted by: kevtrey ()
Date: October 07, 2013 11:21PM

Thanks FFXU Librarian. So I now see that the sign is ACROSS the street (5 lanes). Now I understand why I didn't see it. It was nighttime and the sign is 50 feet away... I would rather fight this because this I feel this is unjust. If anything you can all thank me for keeping a cop off the streets for a morning because he's tied up in court.

I won't be using a "my gps told me so" defense. But the fact that the sign is 50+ feet away and not clearly visible...

Posted by: FFXU Librarian ()
Date: October 07, 2013 11:49PM

Best of luck and thanks a lot for that!

pics unrelated
paul-pierce-back-of-jersey.jpg6_may_Fairfax_Police.jpg

Posted by: Kilton ()
Date: October 08, 2013 06:20AM

kevtrey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I won't be using a "my gps told me so" defense.
> But the fact that the sign is 50+ feet away and
> not clearly visible...

You can't see a sign 50 feet away? LOL. Good luck with telling the judge that one. Hopefully he'll revoke your license for being a blind dingbat.

Posted by: Your Mother ()
Date: October 08, 2013 07:08AM

You wont be costing the cop anything, its their scheduled court day. Don't think you are the only ticket they wrote this month. I like how some people get their panties in a wad over a ticket and think the whole county singled them out and have an entire department plotting against them up until the court date. Go tell the judge sure there was a sign, I just didn't see it. Should be entertaining for the rest of the folks there to see you make an ass out of yourself. I hope judge Horan is subbing that day.

Posted by: So far away ()
Date: October 08, 2013 09:32AM

kevtrey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks FFXU Librarian. So I now see that the sign
> is ACROSS the street (5 lanes). Now I understand
> why I didn't see it. It was nighttime and the sign
> is 50 feet away... I would rather fight this
> because this I feel this is unjust. If anything
> you can all thank me for keeping a cop off the
> streets for a morning because he's tied up in
> court.
>
> I won't be using a "my gps told me so" defense.
> But the fact that the sign is 50+ feet away and
> not clearly visible...

How have you managed not to get into multiple accidents if you are unable to see clearly 50 feet in front of you? The sign is very clear. You admitted that you were following your GPS, so don't blame it on the sign being too far away. So which defense will you use, that you are unable to see 50 feet at night or that your GPS told you what to do?

Please go to court and fight this. Let us know what day the trial will be. If I am in the area, I would love to hear what the judge is going to say to you.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: October 08, 2013 12:22PM

Failure to pay full time attention is a gift ticket from the officer who probably could have written you up for something more serious. Pay it and walk away.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.