HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Va. cyclists push for friendlier biking conditions
Posted by: Va. cyclists Association ()
Date: November 05, 2013 07:09AM

Va. cyclists push for friendlier biking conditions

Fairfax Advocates for Better Bicycling gathered this weekend with local leaders to push for more options for getting around by bike.
http://www.wtop.com/149/3496761/Va-cyclists-push-for-friendlier-biking-conditions

WASHINGTON - Bicycle advocates gathered this weekend with the support of a number of elected leaders to learn about cycling infrastructure in the suburbs and how to push for more, as part of the Fairfax Advocates for Better Bicycling Summit.

"There are so many people we talk to that want to ride, but they're intimidated by riding in the road, especially on our bigger roads," Fairfax Advocates for Better Bicycling Chairman Bruce Wright says.

He points to the growth of cycling in the District since the expansion of bike lanes and cycle tracks - and the addition of Capital Bikeshare.

While Bikeshare in Fairfax County is still in the planning stages, the county is in the process of expanding bike lanes, trails and other infrastructure. The county transportation department expects to first bring it to Reston, then Tysons. http://www.wtop.com/41/3431303/Fairfax-County-pedaling-for-more-cyclists

"Fairfax County is going to continue to grow," says Tom Biesiadny, director of the Fairfax County Department of Transportation, "and we want to provide those alternatives so that our existing facilities don't get any more congested, and people have alternatives without having to be stuck in traffic."

Lake Braddock 10th-grader James Carter and his younger brother Greg say they pedal around often, but they can't always feel comfortable in the streets where cyclists are supposed to ride.

"There's this place by my house that we call Dead Man's Curve," Greg says. "It's a very sharp turn, and the road is very crappy. It's just not very safe."

"Road-wise, the bikes are very good," says James, "but I feel like the drivers aren't as educated toward bikers as they really should be. A lot of them, if they see a biker, will honk or swerve around them really fast."

James is set to start driving himself in a few weeks. He hopes his experience as a cyclist will make him more considerate behind the wheel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Va. cyclists push for friendlier biking conditions
Posted by: Frequent driver. ()
Date: November 05, 2013 08:02AM

So we pay through the nose for a bike path running parallel to 123 and also the Fairfax Parkway only to have some limp wrist in canary yellow tights ride in the roadway. It goes both ways as far as consideration.

Posted by: NoCycle ()
Date: November 05, 2013 08:18AM

"A lot of them, if they see a biker, will honk or swerve around them really fast" Well what the fuck do they expect? It sure beats having the passenger open the car door and send them sprawling into the ditch.

Posted by: Hahahaha ()
Date: November 05, 2013 08:19AM

Frequent driver. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So we pay through the nose for a bike path running
> parallel to 123 and also the Fairfax Parkway only
> to have some limp wrist in canary yellow tights
> ride in the roadway. It goes both ways as far as
> consideration.

Yes, that bike lane that cost the same as repaving 1 lane of Braddock Road for a single year. Through the nose I say!

Posted by: bikezzz ()
Date: November 05, 2013 08:28AM

> "There's this place by my house that we call Dead Man's Curve," Greg says. "It's a very sharp turn, and the road is very crappy. It's just not very safe."

Hey, guess what you can do? Not bike there.

Posted by: xDJKd ()
Date: November 05, 2013 08:34AM

bikezzz Wrote:
> > "There's this place by my house that we call
> Dead Man's Curve," Greg says. "It's a very sharp
> turn, and the road is very crappy. It's just not
> very safe."
>
>
> Hey, guess what you can do? Not bike there.

Pffft. Dumbshit. Post your goddam phone numher and, when we get to Dead Mans Curve, we'll call so you can pick us up, mmmmkay?

Asswipe.

Posted by: mr friendly ()
Date: November 05, 2013 02:32PM

Next time I run one of those lycra wearing morons off the road I will smile. Is that friendly enough?

And the next time I spray them with my windshield wiper fluid I will say "you are welcome kind sir".

Posted by: Skeletor ()
Date: November 05, 2013 02:39PM

Hahahaha Wrote:
> Yes, that bike lane that cost the same as repaving
> 1 lane of Braddock Road for a single year. Through
> the nose I say!

If they are not going to use the path next time dont throw a hissy fit if VDOT ignores your crying for special bike lanes.

Posted by: Berdhuis ()
Date: November 05, 2013 02:58PM

Va. cyclists Association Wrote:

> While Bikeshare in Fairfax County is still in the
> planning stages, the county is in the process of
> expanding bike lanes, trails and other
> infrastructure. The county transportation
> department expects to first bring it to Reston,
> then Tysons.

Right on.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: November 05, 2013 05:15PM

"Road-wise, the bikes are very good," says James, "but I feel like the drivers aren't as educated toward bikers as they really should be. A lot of them, if they see a biker, will honk or swerve around them really fast."

I'd say the same thing is true of a good many "serious bicyclists". The same mentality that causes drivers to behave in an aggressive and unsafe manner towards bicyclists is often displayed by cyclists towards others.

Posted by: Cager ()
Date: November 05, 2013 05:23PM

I'll start to support this expenditure when I see more cyclists obey the following rules of the road:

*Cyclists also need to stop at stop signs, wait for a green light to move through an intersection, and generally behave like a car when using the roads.

*Cyclists should not lane-split.

*Cyclists, being slow, need to allow faster traffic to pass them.

*Where designated paths and lanes have been created for cyclists - especially on roads (1) with very high speed limits; or (2) that are very narrow - they are to use the fricking lane/path that has been provided for them.

You are not a special hybrid of pedestrian and car, cyclists. If you want to use the roads, follow the same rules as everyone else.

Posted by: Think of the children ()
Date: November 05, 2013 05:47PM

Get them off the roads.

Bicycles are too dangerous, unnecessary, and should be banned.

Posted by: BLAH! ()
Date: November 06, 2013 06:45AM

Frequent driver. Wrote:
> So we pay through the nose for a bike path running
> parallel to 123 and also the Fairfax Parkway only
> to have some limp wrist in canary yellow tights
> ride in the roadway. It goes both ways as far as
> consideration.

I completely agree, the other day I was backed up in traffic on the side road near my house. Was it an accident? No. Was it the police? No. Guess what it was...Too many cyclists on the road at the same time holding up traffic. Stay on the bike path!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.