HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Home Office Furniture
Posted by: LortonGuy ()
Date: November 26, 2008 10:40AM

Does anybody have any suggestions for a place to buy good quality office furniture. i am seeting up a home office and would like a nice fairly modern executive desk. Not interested in Ikea or modular stuff.

Most furniture stores in FFX have one of two desks and that's it. I am hoping to find somewhere with a good selection of desks.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: November 26, 2008 10:48AM

office max, staples, etc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: Lurker. ()
Date: November 26, 2008 10:50AM

Take a yellow post it and go to local banks. When you see a desk you like write your name on the post it and put it on the desk.

If anybody asks just tell them you have first dibbs on this desk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: bdimag ()
Date: November 26, 2008 10:54AM

lmao

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: Expensive Jeans ()
Date: November 26, 2008 11:01AM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: Frugle Feng Shui ()
Date: November 26, 2008 04:20PM

"...and would like a nice fairly modern executive desk."

If it is for a home office, then why all of the pomp? Why not a stack of cinderblocks and a sheet of plywood? What's next, sending your kids out to fetch you overpriced espresso drinks?

I hope you have a business license and are paying taxes on this venture.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: graymoose ()
Date: November 26, 2008 05:40PM

Does anybody have any suggestions for a place to buy good quality office furniture. i am seeting up a home office and would like a nice fairly modern executive desk. Not interested in Ikea or modular stuff.

Most furniture stores in FFX have one of two desks and that's it. I am hoping to find somewhere with a good selection of desks.

Thanks



How do you seet up an office?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: November 26, 2008 11:41PM

Frugle Feng Shui Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "...and would like a nice fairly modern executive
> desk."
>
> If it is for a home office, then why all of the
> pomp? Why not a stack of cinderblocks and a sheet
> of plywood? What's next, sending your kids out to
> fetch you overpriced espresso drinks?
>
> I hope you have a business license and are paying
> taxes on this venture.

You don't need a "business license".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: Jolly Green Giant ()
Date: November 26, 2008 11:51PM

Think again. I used to work for the Zoning Department at Fairfax as an inspector. If you are working out of your home and collecting income, you have to have a business license. The Commissioner of Revenue would always send people over to the Zoning office to verify that whatever a person was proposing to do was within the limits of the zoning district where they lived.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: Jolly Green Giant ()
Date: November 26, 2008 11:55PM


Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: Jolly Green Giant ()
Date: November 26, 2008 11:57PM

Also from the EDA;s website above:

I am interested in running a home-based business in Fairfax County. How do I go about getting licensed?
In addition to obtaining a BPOL license, businesses located at residential addresses must obtain a Home Occupation Permit or Non-Residential Use Permit from the Zoning Permit Review Branch of the Fairfax County Department of Planning and Zoning, Zoning Administration Division. Permits are issued after certain zoning requirements are met. For further information, contact the Zoning Permit Review Branch at 12055 Government Center Parkway, Fairfax, Virginia 22035, or telephone 703-222-1082

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: Space Ghost ()
Date: November 27, 2008 04:07AM

Frugle Feng Shui Wrote:
> I hope you have a business license and are paying
> taxes on this venture.

Nah, people who have home businesses use them to right off everything on taxes. Buy a car you sometimes use for work? Deduction. New computer? You use it for work too, so that's a deduction. Home theater? Invite someone over once a year to do a sales presentation. That's a deduction. Playing grabass or fighting in the building? That's a night in the box.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: tubby ()
Date: November 27, 2008 09:48AM

Space Ghost Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Frugle Feng Shui Wrote:
> > I hope you have a business license and are
> paying
> > taxes on this venture.
>
> Nah, people who have home businesses use them to
> right off everything on taxes. Buy a car you
> sometimes use for work? Deduction. New computer?
> You use it for work too, so that's a deduction.
> Home theater? Invite someone over once a year to
> do a sales presentation. That's a deduction.
> Playing grabass or fighting in the building?
> That's a night in the box.


And be sure to make time in your busy schedule for your audit. Home office deductions draw Internal Revenue agents like moths to a flame.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: LortonGuy ()
Date: November 29, 2008 10:08AM

I am not interested in home based business legal advice (I don't operate a home business), just looking for a good furntire store where i can buy a desk. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: Price ()
Date: November 29, 2008 10:19AM

I have a set from Pottery Barn. Pricey, but I like it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: dono ()
Date: November 29, 2008 10:20AM

Space Ghost Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Frugle Feng Shui Wrote:
> > I hope you have a business license and are
> paying
> > taxes on this venture.
>
> Nah, people who have home businesses use them to
> right off everything on taxes. Buy a car you
> sometimes use for work? Deduction. New computer?
> You use it for work too, so that's a deduction.
> Home theater? Invite someone over once a year to
> do a sales presentation. That's a deduction.
> Playing grabass or fighting in the building?
> That's a night in the box.

You are gonna love all the taxes too. Gross revenue, equipment tax (yes they tax your computer, phone, printer, chair, desk etc...)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Date: November 29, 2008 11:22AM

Bob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Frugle Feng Shui Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "...and would like a nice fairly modern
> executive
> > desk."
> >
> > If it is for a home office, then why all of the
> > pomp? Why not a stack of cinderblocks and a
> sheet
> > of plywood? What's next, sending your kids out
> to
> > fetch you overpriced espresso drinks?
> >
> > I hope you have a business license and are
> paying
> > taxes on this venture.
>
> You don't need a "business license".



Technically you are supposed to, but I imagine most home-based businesses don't get them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Date: November 29, 2008 11:23AM

dono Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Space Ghost Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Frugle Feng Shui Wrote:
> > > I hope you have a business license and are
> > paying
> > > taxes on this venture.
> >
> > Nah, people who have home businesses use them
> to
> > right off everything on taxes. Buy a car you
> > sometimes use for work? Deduction. New
> computer?
> > You use it for work too, so that's a deduction.
> > Home theater? Invite someone over once a year
> to
> > do a sales presentation. That's a deduction.
> > Playing grabass or fighting in the building?
> > That's a night in the box.
>
> You are gonna love all the taxes too. Gross
> revenue, equipment tax (yes they tax your
> computer, phone, printer, chair, desk etc...)



They do. That's why you keep your head down low and don't let the local city or county know you are running a business out of your home.

If it is any consolation, the local jurisdiction can only hit you for three years' worth of taxes, should you go without paying. You should get a good tax attorney who can show you how to reduce what you might owe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: woodworker ()
Date: November 29, 2008 07:05PM

I am in possession of enough wood from the 300+ year old tree on Main St in Fairfax that succumb to a storm recently. I will build you a desk from this wood if you commission my services.

Like a custom home or yacht, the price will be exhorbitant (per J. P. Morgan, "if you have to ask..."), but your satisfaction will be guaranteed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: November 29, 2008 07:38PM

The "home Office" deduction is not worth it. I am not a tax expert, but I have heard it does trigger a "second glance" at your tax return. Plus, if you sell your house and there have been home office deductions in the past, it gets "complicated".


Maybe it has changed the past few years, but I doubt it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Date: November 29, 2008 07:53PM

Radiophile Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The "home Office" deduction is not worth it. I am
> not a tax expert, but I have heard it does trigger
> a "second glance" at your tax return. Plus, if you
> sell your house and there have been home office
> deductions in the past, it gets "complicated".
>
>
> Maybe it has changed the past few years, but I
> doubt it.


It gets complicated if you claim it as part of your mortgage deduction. Don't do that. Just take 1/10th of your utilities, etc, and you won't have any problems.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Home Office Furniture
Posted by: tubby ()
Date: November 30, 2008 04:34AM

LortonGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am not interested in home based business legal
> advice (I don't operate a home business), just
> looking for a good furntire store where i can buy
> a desk. Thanks


Ummm, fuckface, did you not notice that I QUOTED somebody else?

That means I wasn't talking to you OR giving you unsolicicted tax advice.

Sorry, but you're too dumb to own a nice desk...

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 **     **   ******   ********  **     **  **     ** 
 **     **  **    **  **    **  **     **  **     ** 
 **     **  **            **    **     **  **     ** 
 *********  **           **     **     **  ********* 
 **     **  **          **      **     **  **     ** 
 **     **  **    **    **      **     **  **     ** 
 **     **   ******     **       *******   **     ** 
This forum powered by Phorum.