HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
inspector won't pass me because my outside mirror has a 1" convex stick-on mirror....
Posted by: Patricia ()
Date: November 23, 2008 12:32PM

inspector won't pass me because my outside mirror has a 1" convex stick-on mirror....

this is at a gas station off route 7.

the inspector said nothing to me. after the inspection, he drove my car
to the front and handed me the keys. I went in to pay.... still nothing.
when I got into the car, I noticed the REJECTION sticker on the windshield.
I went back inside and asked him why my car was rejected. He said(and I quote)
"that little round stick-on mirror is illegal... take it off and come back
and you'll pass inspection, but you have to pay $1 for the re-inspection..."

I told him I could just take it off right there but he said no. his reason
was (direct quote again) "if you take it off here, there's gonna be adhesive
residue on the mirror and I can't pass you... go home and do it..."

I would probably have gotten really p*ssed off if the guy did seem so nice.
In fact, if I was hiring someone to be the Santa Claus at a mall, I would
have no problem hiring him. I don't know, maybe he was just being a jerk,
while faking to be a super-nice guy? (he looked to be about 55 to 60, by the way)

so.... I came home and removed the mirror... cleaned off the adhesive as well...
going back there tomorrow and pay the $1 for him to re-inspect... am I crazy
or is this completely silly? I've even seen these little mirrors on Fairfax
County police cars(I live near a police station so I see them daily)

Just to show you the mirror I'm talking about, here's a photo.
my actual mirror is a little smaller than that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: inspector won't pass me because my outside mirror has a 1" convex stick-on mirror....
Posted by: Frickin'VA ()
Date: November 23, 2008 12:40PM

It is indeed ridiculous. Though not surprised, this is a new one to me. It's illegal to block one's view of anything, for example: you cannot display back window stickers even if they're those semi-transparent kind, like a university one.

Just take it off, and put it back on after the re-inspection.

Re: inspector won't pass me because my outside mirror has a 1" convex stick-on mirror....
Posted by: SBS ()
Date: November 23, 2008 12:45PM

Take it off, get it passed, then while he's watching, put a new one back on.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: November 23, 2008 01:18PM

SBS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Take it off, get it passed, then while he's
> watching, put a new one back on.

+1

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: Junes ()
Date: November 23, 2008 03:51PM

Sorry, but I think you may be stretching it a little. I've had convex stick on mirrors on my truck side view mirrors for over 10 years and they have never been cause for rejection - and I've used three different inspection stations

Posted by: Take a Stand ()
Date: November 23, 2008 03:58PM

The rules may have JUST changed,
But there should be (!NO!) charge for re-inspection.

CORRECTION:

I would issue a complaint to the VSP ..

You positively DO NOT have to pay a one dollar re-inspection fee.

see link: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm

AND on top of that, this is the only section defining mirror specs

10. – INSPECT MIRROR FOR:

* Rigidity of mounting.
* Condition of reflecting surface.
* View of road to rear (Truck mirrors must extend at least halfway beyond edge of body) – (Visibility 200 feet to rear).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2008 07:18PM by Take a Stand.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: November 24, 2008 07:17AM

Patricia Wrote:
> inspector won't pass me because my outside mirror
> has a 1" convex stick-on mirror....

I wonder what part of the code states you can't have anything on your mirror. I've never heard about anything being on the outside mirror. VSP says:
10. – INSPECT MIRROR FOR:

* Rigidity of mounting.
* Condition of reflecting surface.
* View of road to rear (Truck mirrors must extend at least halfway beyond edge of body) – (Visibility 200 feet to rear).

As far as the Code of Virginia, it mentions mirror in a few places, none have anything to do with this. The closest one is § 46.2-1054. Suspension of objects or alteration of vehicle so as to obstruct driver's view.

However, a careful reading of that section indicates it only applies to obstructing the driver's view through the windshield:

...in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's clear view of the highway through the windshield, the front side windows, or the rear window, or to alter a passenger-carrying vehicle in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view through the windshield.

You could always e-mail the VSP to see what they say:
Safety Division
Captain Ronald B. Saunders, Safety Officer (Division Commander)
Fax: 804-674-2916
Phone: 804-674-6774
E-mail: SafetyDivision@vsp.virginia.gov

Posted by: Bonfire ()
Date: November 24, 2008 10:49AM

I was an inspector for Backlick Texaco and Baclick shell across from the Outback in Springfield and never would I fail a mirror for a Fish Eye like that, unless the rules have changed as of 2002. 02 was the last year I inspected so Im not sure now. Contact the VA state Police, they will tell you in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Lukas ()
Date: November 24, 2008 12:41PM

just want to comment on the $1 reinspection fee.

Pohanka Lexus in Chantilly also charges $1 to reinspect your car/suv if it fails
inspection the first time.

American Service Center Mercedes-Benz also does NOT allow those little fisheye mirrors on either of the outside rearview mirrors. however, they simply remove
it during the inspection process, WITHOUT telling the customers first. it has
become annoying because I bring my Mercedes to them for the free annual VA
safety Inspection. But I dont' really mind... the free inspection is worth
$15 each year... I just go buy another fisheye mirror for $1 at Autozone.

Posted by: Junes ()
Date: November 24, 2008 01:32PM

Take a Stand Wrote:
> The rules may have JUST changed,
> But there should be (!NO!) charge for
> re-inspection.
>

I doubt that, my car was inspected in June and it sailed right on through - mirrors and all.

Posted by: Maran ()
Date: November 24, 2008 10:21PM

Junes Wrote:

> I doubt that, my car was inspected in June and it
> sailed right on through - mirrors and all.

some inspectors are lazy(or simply don't care)...

my car has illegal tint on the windshield and front windows, not to mention my
all-clear rear LED taillights and aftermarket HID headlights... even the
sidemarkers are all clear, which are all against the rules... probably shouldn't
metion this, but it's also got lowered suspension(2-inch drop)

I haven't had a problem with inspecitons in the last three years. (the car is
a 2005 Mercedes C320) the inspectors never blinked...

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: November 24, 2008 11:39PM

Maran Wrote:
> Junes Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I doubt that, my car was inspected in June and
> it
> > sailed right on through - mirrors and all.
>
>
> some inspectors are lazy(or simply don't care)...
>
> my car has illegal tint on the windshield and
> front windows, not to mention my
> all-clear rear LED taillights and aftermarket HID
> headlights... even the
> sidemarkers are all clear, which are all against
> the rules... probably shouldn't
> metion this, but it's also got lowered
> suspension(2-inch drop)
>
> I haven't had a problem with inspecitons in the
> last three years. (the car is
> a 2005 Mercedes C320) the inspectors never
> blinked...

I dare say NO inspector ever follows the letter of the law. If they did, the damn inspection would take 90 minutes. That said, not everything you mentioned about your car is necessarily illegal.

Posted by: Bob ()
Date: November 25, 2008 12:40AM

Maran Wrote:
> Junes Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > I doubt that, my car was inspected in June and
> it
> > sailed right on through - mirrors and all.
>
>
> some inspectors are lazy(or simply don't care)...
>
> my car has illegal tint on the windshield and
> front windows, not to mention my
> all-clear rear LED taillights and aftermarket HID
> headlights... even the
> sidemarkers are all clear, which are all against
> the rules... probably shouldn't
> metion this, but it's also got lowered
> suspension(2-inch drop)
>
> I haven't had a problem with inspecitons in the
> last three years. (the car is
> a 2005 Mercedes C320) the inspectors never
> blinked...

The lense can be clear as long as the bulbs are red/yellow or whatever that light is required to be.

It doesn't matter if your car has been lowered, as far as I know. I had a car that was pretty low that came that way from the factory. How could a ferrari or a top-end 911 pass inspection?

As for the tint on your windshield, are you stupid? Why would you tint your windshield? As long as you tint the side and rear windows, it should be hard enough to see inside the car from the front anyway.

Also, I don't think tint matters to the safety inspectors (except on the windshield, since that is a safety issue). That appears to be something the cops have an issue with.

Posted by: tj2008 ()
Date: November 25, 2008 08:49AM

the problem is the LOCATION! if the small spotter mirror was on the inside lower corner, that would not interfere with the mirror's field of view. because it's high and outside, you got a 'walk'

Oh..GO NATS!

Posted by: iggy2683 ()
Date: February 28, 2010 10:33AM

I have a 98 honda accord that's lowered. with non - DOT approved tailights and sidemarkers and until this year never had a problem getting it passed. can somebody please tell me a good place in fairfax that will pass it? please contact me via email at iggy18a@gmail.com or phone at 7037316484, as they i need to find out quick, they only give you 15 days after a failure from merchants

Posted by: Stockman ()
Date: February 28, 2010 10:51AM

Just put the stock stuff back on. It'll pass AND look better.

Posted by: Memory ()
Date: February 28, 2010 11:55AM

I passed without any mirrors once.

Posted by: Tim45 ()
Date: February 28, 2010 12:21PM

I once had a guy reject my car because the license plates bolts were made of plastic and not metal. I had never heard of this and he said well for 15 bucks I can put on some metal bolts otherwise otherwise it would be rejected. Or I could change them myself later on and get the privlege of waiting in line for another two hours plus a reinspection fee.

I opted instead to have the state police stop by since they regulate the inspection stations. When I told him this he said I will let it go this time. He then passed my car.

Posted by: Piggy ()
Date: February 28, 2010 12:46PM

File an in-person complaint against the inspector with the Virginia State Police Safety Office located at 9801 Braddock Road in Fairfax 7033234500. I have done this in the past and have been successful at getting the reject sticker turned into a valid inspection. Also place a copy of the State Police Vehicle Inspection Manual on the front passenger seat when your car gets inspected. You will get an honest inspection and the scams somehow go away!

Posted by: holeinone ()
Date: February 28, 2010 02:06PM

who would put the mirror in the top left corner??? wtf!!

fat, nova, spoiled, complaining bitch, soccer mom in a suv too big to handle.

"WHaaaa!!!" "how can i get someone in trouble for this?" "my life is so empty im going to obsess on the tiniest thing that happens" "even if it's only a dollar"

put down your phone and pay attention to the fucking road. cunt!

im sure you like looking at the side of your own car when you look into your mirror but it is actually supposed to be used to see into the lane next to you.
maybe if you learned how to adjust your mirrors properly you wouldnt need cheep convex mirrors.

next time you are dropping your kids off at karate, before heading to wegmans for some warmed over food to pawn off on your husband and stopping at mcdonalds for the kids dinner,

take a look into your rear view mirror. adjust it so you have a clear view of the road behind you and it is not favoring one side or the other.

drive in the right hand lane and when traffic approaches from behind the cars in both lanes will appear in your rear view mirror - as the car in the left lane comes closer there will be a point where u can see it in your rear view and side mirror - then it will be only in your side mirror - until the point that it is next to you and comes into your peripheral vision.

you should be able to hold your head forward and check your mirrors by moving your eyes only with no need to lean or turn your head for a better view.

you will probably need to push the outer edge of your mirror out quite a bit from where you have it now.

case in point: have u ever seen race cars with convex mirrors??

Posted by: A lil south of ya ()
Date: February 28, 2010 10:36PM

I had an inspection in 2007 that surprised me. All was fine except I had installed fog lamps recessed into my truck bumper. It was a 1998 Dodge RAM. They said it was not OEM and had to come off. Pay them $45 to take it off or be rejected and come back after taking them off. I paid them and never went back to them and wont use their shop for any services because they may have provided a service, but that seemed a little seedy for a strong-arm fee.

It had a bumper like this:

Posted by: XXX ()
Date: March 01, 2010 12:49AM

19VAC30-70-220. Mirrors.

Inspect for and reject if:

1. Any motor vehicle is not equipped with at least one mirror.

2. Any 1969 and subsequent model motor vehicle, designed and licensed primarily for passenger vehicular transportation, is not equipped with at least one outside and one inside rear view mirror.

NOTE: The inside mirror cannot be removed on these vehicles even if it has an outside on each side.

Vehicles equipped with only one outside mirror must have the mirror on the driver's side.

EXCEPTION: No motor vehicle shall be required to be equipped with an inside rear view mirror if it does not have a rear window or if the rear window is so obstructed as to prevent rearward vision by means of an inside rear view mirror, if the motor vehicle has horizontally and vertically adjustable outside rear view mirrors installed on both sides of such motor vehicle in such a manner as to provide the driver of such motor vehicle a clear view along both sides of such motor vehicle for a distance of not less than 200 feet.

3. Reflecting surface of mirror is cracked, broken, peeled, pitted, clouded, tarnished, has sharp edges, reflects more than one image or a distorted image, or is not mounted securely.

4. Mirror does not give the driver a clear view of the road 200 feet to the rear.

5. Interior rear view mirror.

a. Mirror is loose enough that rear view is impaired.

b. Mirror cannot be adjusted or will not maintain a set adjustment.

6. Exterior rear view mirror.

a. Mirror is loose enough that rear view is impaired.

b. Left mirror is obscured by an unwiped portion of windshield or mirror is mounted so it cannot be adjusted from driver's seat. (Applies to 1969 and subsequent model vehicles.)

c. A right side mirror is not required if the reflecting surface of the mirror has been completely removed from the mirror housing; however, a vehicle will be required to have two outside mirrors if there is a sticker or stickers, regardless of size, sunshading or tinting film on the rear side windows or rear window.

NOTE: A single sticker no larger than 20 square inches, if such sticker is totally contained within the lower five inches of the glass of the rear window and does not obstruct the center high mount brake light, is allowed and will pass inspection.

Statutory Authority

§ 46.2-1165 of the Code of Virginia.

Historical Notes

Derived from VR545-01-07 § 22, eff. May 1, 1990; amended, Virginia Register Volume 10, Issue 8, eff. February 9, 1994; Volume 21, Issue 4, eff. September 22, 2004; Volume 24, Issue 8, eff. March 1, 2008.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

prev | next | new search | table of contents | home

That is directly from the inspectors handbook. No where in that do I read that you can not have a stick on mirror.

Here is the link for the site I found the above info on. Scroll down to chapter 70. It covers eveything you need to know about vehicle inspetions and clearly spells out what to inspect and fail for.

I hate vehicle inspectors. Remember some of them are Mechanics on a power trip that want to play cop.

Date: March 01, 2010 12:50AM

A few other VA codes you may want to read are

46.2-1158
46.2-1167
46.2-1169

I forget which on says it, but they can charge a buck for the the re inspect

Date: March 01, 2010 12:51AM

Shit I forgot to put the link in above.

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/reg/TOC19030.HTM#C0070

Date: March 01, 2010 01:13AM

Better yet, read this section and go in there and do your own inspection.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+reg+19VAC30-70-10

See if they are living upto everything set forth in their own requirments. Find something wrong and reject them by filing a formal written complaint to the VSP.

Posted by: dumb bitch ()
Date: March 01, 2010 09:03AM

Just take the fucking thing off
and move your fat head to look behind you

Fucking lazy ass ho

Posted by: Elle Diabla ()
Date: March 01, 2010 09:20AM

SBS Wrote:
> Take it off, get it passed, then while he's
> watching, put a new one back on.

+ 2

Posted by: Elle Diabla ()
Date: March 01, 2010 09:20AM

dumb bitch Wrote:
> Just take the fucking thing off
> and move your fat head to look behind you
>
> Fucking lazy ass ho

+ 3

Posted by: pat goss ()
Date: March 03, 2010 04:23AM

>
> take a look into your rear view mirror. adjust it
> so you have a clear view of the road behind you
> and it is not favoring one side or the other.
>
> drive in the right hand lane and when traffic
> approaches from behind the cars in both lanes will
> appear in your rear view mirror - as the car in
> the left lane comes closer there will be a point
> where u can see it in your rear view and side
> mirror - then it will be only in your side mirror
> - until the point that it is next to you and comes
> into your peripheral vision.
>
> you should be able to hold your head forward and
> check your mirrors by moving your eyes only with
> no need to lean or turn your head for a better
> view.
>
>
> you will probably need to push the outer edge of
> your mirror out quite a bit from where you have it
> now.
>
> case in point: have u ever seen race cars with
> convex mirrors??

that's sound advise

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: March 03, 2010 07:22AM

Many people set their side-view mirrors to see the next lane over down the edge of their car, adjusting from the driver's normal head position but that isn't right. They aren't there to to be rear-view mirrors that sit on the sides of the car.

- For the driver side mirror, roll up the window and press your head against the glass. Adjust the mirror so that you can just see the edge of the car.

- For the passenger side mirror, place your head in the center of the car (directly behind the inside mirror mount) and adjust the outside mirror so that you can just see the edge of the car. This is necessary even with convex (curved) mirrors where the image is distorted a little.

http://blog.motorists.org/how-to-adjust-your-side-view-mirrors/

If you do this then you don't need an addon mirror.

Posted by: Jackie the Jokeman ()
Date: March 03, 2010 09:42AM

Some inspectors in Virginia have the biggest attitudes. Actually a lot of mechanics have huge attitudes too. Hey buddy, it's not my fault you didn't pay attention while you were in high school....now pass my fucking car.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.