HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
South Lakes High School Band to play at Carnegie Hall; Parents scrambling to raise funds in these hard times
Posted by: Rod ()
Date: November 12, 2008 10:17PM

It is ironic that the high school that has struggled so hard for recognition of it's significance in the recent bitter boundary redistricting fight has because of it's outstanding band program been selected to perform at Carnegie Hall this Spring.

And how significant that Reston was founded by a man that once owned Carnegie hall and considered wrecking it and making a parking lot out of the land. Instead Robert Simon sold Carnegie Hall to the city of New York and took the money and founded the unincorporated town of Reston. Now children from the town's high school hope to perform at the place that the sale of which made thier town possable. The performance is scheduled in March very near the founders 85th birthday and the 45th anniversary of Reston!

Because of these hard financial times band parents are struggling to raise money so they will be able to send thier children to New York where they can perform at Carnegie Hall. Parents are trying to raise money so that individual students families will not have to pay more then $300 to attend, where as the total cost is estimated to be $700 to $825. In addition the band is hoping to replace it's old and tattered uniforms and a truck is needed to transport the instruments.

So far hey have gone door to door soliciting funds during tag day, held a John McCutchen concert and are currently trying to have a citrus fruit sale to raise the needed money. Interested citizens who like good citrus fruit at a great price are urged to call the school at 703 715 4500 for the band booster group and order some no later then Nov 18.

It is hoped that even in these hard financial times that Reston citizens and those who do business in Reston will not disappoint the children who have worked so hard in the band at South Lakes and be able to help.- Rod Koozmin, 11571 Embers CT Reston, 703 620 1058

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2008 11:05PM by Rod.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: South Lakes High School Band to play at Carnegie Hall; Parents scrambling to raise funds in these hard times
Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: November 12, 2008 11:40PM

Fuck south lakes band. Let those kids go do a robbery to get the funds. They're lousy, and that's never going to change no matter where they get $$$$.

Re: South Lakes High School Band to play at Carnegie Hall; Parents scrambling to raise funds in these hard times
Posted by: Bob ()
Date: November 13, 2008 12:25AM

I remember even back in the 80's when I went to High School, South Lakes was even considered worse than Marshall HS as far as the risk of getting knifed or beat up by a gang.

Maybe this might actually be a good thing for the school. Though if it's been a shitty school for more than 20 years, perhaps that is being overly optimistic.

But it would be nice to see the few students who are trying to get a little bit of recognition. (it might even help them with college applications)

I'm sure if this story gets enough coverage, some company in Reston or a philanthropist will shell out what is probably only a few thousand dollars to allow them to go to NYC.

Heck, one of those Chinatown buses could probably be leased for less than $500 each way. Then they just need to not stay in Manhattan, and either stay in Brooklyn or Jersey City.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2008 12:26AM by Bob.

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: November 13, 2008 08:40AM

that's difference between me and bob.. he believes children are our future, I believe in mandatory abortions for all.

we'll see who is right when endtimes come..... according to mayan sources that's in, like, 3 years.

Posted by: tj2008 ()
Date: November 13, 2008 09:13AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> that's difference between me and bob.. he believes
> children are our future, I believe in mandatory
> abortions for all.
>
> we'll see who is right when endtimes come.....
> according to mayan sources that's in, like, 3
> years.

Funny, isn't that about mid-term election time for Obama and the Democratic Congress?

Coincidence??? you decide!

Posted by: Rod ()
Date: November 13, 2008 09:15AM

Bob Wrote:

>
> But it would be nice to see the few students who
> are trying to get a little bit of recognition. (it
> might even help them with college applications)
>
> I'm sure if this story gets enough coverage, some
> company in Reston or a philanthropist will shell
> out what is probably only a few thousand dollars
> to allow them to go to NYC.
>
>

They need at least $70,000 which is hard to get these days from corporate donors who may be scraped for cash these days.

Publicity is the key but it is hard to get. They set up a bake sale and some citizens were happy to donate at the pole place where they had set up the sale. Many were delighted once they learned about the Carnigie hall date.

Newspapers and TV had largly ignored the McCutchen concert which ended up being undersold though M. sells out when he performed at Wolftrap barns and the concert at South Lakes was much cheaper.

The Boster group is searching for contacts to corperate doners so that they can present the facts to.

Posted by: Seahawk ()
Date: November 13, 2008 09:28AM

I went to South Lakes in the 80's. The school was brand new and the principal had just hand picked his teachers from the county. One or two race fights, but that happened every where in the county.(Hell, in Herndon they burned down a shopping center in a race riot)

People were scramling to get their kids out of Herndon "Hicks" and into South Lakes "Riches". All the major heads of the Federal gov departments had their kids in South Lakes.

Most 80's graduates went onto Ivy league schools. I know of three from my class that went on to Harvard. Now the parents of the kids still live in Reston and are retired.

Posted by: say what? ()
Date: November 13, 2008 09:29AM

Now why would individuals reading this forum decide to donate money for a high school band to play at Carnegie Hall? Many are hit on with expenses and for donations for their own kids and those of co-workers. Last time I checked South Lakes gets more per kid for IB out of my tax dollars than it would if an AP school. Let them rake leaves and baby sit for their money. It is leaf season.

Posted by: Seahawk ()
Date: November 13, 2008 09:42AM

Your wrong! South Lakes is a terrible school; needs more funding and more attention by staff.

Or at least that's what we keep telling everybody ;)

Posted by: MrMephisto ()
Date: November 13, 2008 10:30AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> abortions for all.
>
> years.

I've already started planning a 2012 End of the World party.

This is, of course, assuming that I'm not murdered in the meantime.

Posted by: GOL ()
Date: November 13, 2008 10:37AM

Don't think we have seen a school so incapable of raising funds through private donations/corporate sponsors as South Lakes. What is the problem? good times or bad, the school is sitting in the Land of Opportunity. There are loads of corporations and commercial ventures surrounding the school. It is hard to believe there is not a single parent in the school who has figured out how to exploit these resources. Take a look at Chantilly, Westfield, Oakton as examples of getting gumption and asking your business neighbors for money. These schools don't have fancy marquees because they have squeezed pennies from their attendees or hosted 10 Million bake sales. They have go-getters who rather than posting their sad stories on FU, have gone out to the car dealers, the Lockheed Martins of the world and sold their story.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: November 13, 2008 11:26AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> abortions for all.
>
> years.

I assume you are a member of the Church of Euthenasia then?

Posted by: word ()
Date: November 13, 2008 11:02PM

time to shake down the 85yr old

Date: November 13, 2008 11:34PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> abortions for all.
>
> years.

December 20, 2012. I'm waiting, too ;)

Except I read recently that both Mayan calendars and the entire mythology of catholocism/crhistianity both end an "AGE" at about the same time, and a new age begins.

This is the age of pisces, apparently, and after 12/20/2012, it will be the age of aquarius or something like that.

Either way, I'm going to party like it's 1999 and I'm afraid the computers are going choke on the y2k date change ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2008 11:40PM by Bob.

Posted by: band aid ()
Date: November 14, 2008 07:47AM

why doesn't that loud mouth PTA leader reach out for her buddy stu(pid) gibson and kathy smith for money they were all over south lakes last year this time begging to get OHS student to come there. How many is the total anyway that actually did end up going?? 47

go beg somewhere else for your money if you can't afford to go don't accept teh invitation and ruin it for another school that can afford to go. Hey maybe the kids could have gotten jobs. No never mind hand outs are easier what was i thinking.

like one person said if you really want to go cut costs... don''t stay in manhattan, have parents drive, put ten in a room like they have in some of the town house in reston

Oh heck call Westfield or Oakton or Chantilly they will front you the money

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: November 14, 2008 06:53PM

word Wrote:
> time to shake down the 85yr old

You beat me to it. LOL

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: November 14, 2008 11:07PM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> abortions for all.
>
> years.

Gee RES where did you get such info and why the gloom and doom?

If that's the case shouldn't we start planning a shelter now?

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: November 14, 2008 11:13PM

MrMephisto Wrote:
> RESton Peace Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > that's difference between me and bob.. he
> believes
> > children are our future, I believe in mandatory
> > abortions for all.
> >
> > we'll see who is right when endtimes come.....
> > according to mayan sources that's in, like, 3
> > years.
>
> I've already started planning a 2012 End of the
> World party.
>
> This is, of course, assuming that I'm not murdered
> in the meantime.

Seriously you can survive this with some planning. Think positive!

I mentioned so you could prepare, not for a blame party.

Date: November 14, 2008 11:19PM

spunky Wrote:
> RESton Peace Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > that's difference between me and bob.. he
> believes
> > children are our future, I believe in mandatory
> > abortions for all.
> >
> > we'll see who is right when endtimes come.....
> > according to mayan sources that's in, like, 3
> > years.
>
>
> Gee RES where did you get such info and why the
> gloom and doom?
>
> If that's the case shouldn't we start planning a
> shelter now?

I wouldn't start planning shelters. It marks the end of an age, not the end of the world. Just like Biblical prophecies really were about the fall of the roman empire, the mayan calendar marks eras and epochs.

I only found out about it by taking a tour of Tulum, south of Cancun, when a cruise I was on stopped at Cozumel, in 2003.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2007-03-27-maya-2012_n.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar#Long_Count

Posted by: Say No ()
Date: November 17, 2008 01:10PM

band aid Wrote:
> why doesn't that loud mouth PTA leader reach out
> for her buddy stu(pid) gibson and kathy smith for
> money they were all over south lakes last year
> this time begging to get OHS student to come
> there. How many is the total anyway that actually
> did end up going?? 47
>
> go beg somewhere else for your money if you can't
> afford to go don't accept teh invitation and ruin
> it for another school that can afford to go. Hey
> maybe the kids could have gotten jobs. No never
> mind hand outs are easier what was i thinking.
>
> like one person said if you really want to go cut
> costs... don''t stay in manhattan, have parents
> drive, put ten in a room like they have in some
> of the town house in reston
>
> Oh heck call Westfield or Oakton or Chantilly they
> will front you the money

I agree. Get the money from the PTA and Gibson.

No more hand outs for South Lakes.

Posted by: no more handouts 4evr ()
Date: November 18, 2008 09:19AM

dales's tier 3 budget cuts have a class size ratio increase of 2.5 ... which might be applied to schools that don't egt extra funding for demographics. Those schools might get even lower staffing ratios since dale and gibson etc want to add in test scores to the formulas.

So good performing schools in middle clas areas will have clases up to the state maximum while gibson porks away with IB , modified calenar, all the extra money for hunters woods, gatehouse 2 , etc.

How dare anyone ask on this board for people to donate money for gibson's band???? How stupid are we?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.