HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Curb Stop/Valve Leak Repair - any good plumbers in Fairfax Co?
Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: November 08, 2008 01:25PM

Looks like my curb stop/valve is leaking.
Fairfax water came out, told me to get it repaired.

Anyone done anything like that? Estimated cost of such job?

Also, can anyone recommend a good plumber in our area?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Curb Stop/Valve Leak Repair - any good plumbers in Fairfax Co?
Posted by: Joe the Plumber. ()
Date: November 08, 2008 03:28PM

I've had good luck with John Nugent and Sons in the past.

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 08, 2008 03:56PM

Kiev Wrote:
>> can anyone recommend a good plumber in our area?

I've always had good experiences with F.H. Furr http://www.fhfurr.com/

Their service has always been very efficient at fixing problems, and scheduling them to come in has always been a breeze.

Posted by: why me ()
Date: November 08, 2008 05:11PM

I have always been very happy with Terry's.

Posted by: 22124 Homeowner ()
Date: November 08, 2008 07:36PM

I use angieslist.com. for recommendations of different contractors. Looking at the list, John Nugent is the only company I saw touted above that is on the list , with an A rating.

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: November 08, 2008 07:38PM

How bout Joe the Plumber....he has some time on his hands nowadays.

Seriously, my rule of thumb when selecting tradesmen is DO NOT call the guys with the full page ads in the Yellow Pages, or that advertise on TV, or who spew horseshit like, "It's okay to wave at the man on the back of the truck".

If they have money for crap like that (especially those obscenely expensive Yellow Page ads)...then they are screwing people. My HVAC guy has a 2 line ad in the Yellow Pages and he beats his competitors by a country mile. Example, bids to replace a gas furnace and 5 ton electric A/C at one of my rentals....$11,500....$10,900....$9900. My 2-line ad guy, $6500! (these bids were for identically specced Trane equipment).

Posted by: Catlover ()
Date: November 09, 2008 12:20AM

TheMeeper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kiev Wrote:
> >> can anyone recommend a good plumber in our
> area?
>
>
> I've always had good experiences with F.H. Furr
> http://www.fhfurr.com/
>
> Their service has always been very efficient at
> fixing problems, and scheduling them to come in
> has always been a breeze.

I recently used F.H. Furr to have the water pipe replaced. My experience with them has been very positive and they offered the lowest bidding for the work to be done.

Posted by: dp ()
Date: December 02, 2008 03:46PM

the best there is american plumbing never had a complaint against them this is all they do dan and brian are the kings of water servies 800-998-4617 americanplumbingincorporated.com 20 years worth excel job

FH Furr
Posted by: Joe "the non plumber" ()
Date: March 29, 2010 12:58PM

Kiev Wrote:
> Looks like my curb stop/valve is leaking.
> Fairfax water came out, told me to get it
> repaired.
>
> Anyone done anything like that? Estimated cost of
> such job?
>
> Also, can anyone recommend a good plumber in our
> area?
>
> Thanks

Posted by: Joe "the non plumber" ()
Date: March 29, 2010 01:09PM

I just got some quotes to replace my Hot water heater which is 13 years old. I am currently a customer of FH Furr for my HVAC system so I called them first. They quoted me over $3,000 to replace my hot water heater. The tech/salesmen added a lot of additional items to the bill without discussing the need for it. The best was he was going to charge me an additional $419 for extra help needed because it was a 75 gallon tank. It took everything not to laugh at him, but I was polite and did the usual "I will call when I make a decision." On his way out he told me I had only days before the hot water heater was bad. He was right. So I called Home Depot who put me in touch with FAIRFAX ELECTRIC, PLUMBING & GAS who quoted me $1,363 which included the water pan that I asked for and go figure the extra tech needed. During my search for someone to replace my hot water heater I also called Michael and Sons. They wanted to charge me $29 just to come to my house to give me an estimate. I learned to always do my research and be proactive when it comes to your hot water heater so you don't have to depend on the first quote because your basement is flooded.

Posted by: hotwater ()
Date: March 29, 2010 04:14PM

Why do you need to heat hot water?

I think what you really need is a cold water heater.

Posted by: Hotwater coldwater ()
Date: March 29, 2010 07:05PM

They are one in the same, HJ.

Posted by: honest joe ()
Date: March 29, 2010 10:19PM

I would tell you the plumber I use. To be honest - I went to service magic and sent a request. I dsids get 4 responses in 4 minutes after I sent the request. They are all licensed and only worek on specific zip codes at specific times.

Posted by: suggestion ()
Date: March 29, 2010 10:28PM

We had Peed Plumbing in Virginia (no kidding, that's their name...) do two plumbing repair jobs on our 1966 home. They are not charging "dispatch fees" at the moment (the fee folks normally charge just to come out to give you an estimate.) And, if you mention when you call (as well as when you get the estimate) that you booked them through their website, you get 10% off. We've been happy with their work and their rates.

Posted by: graymoose1 ()
Date: March 29, 2010 10:42PM

Bob's Handyman Service
Plumbing Electrical
Drywall Painting
Carpentry Power Washing

Licensed Bonded and Insured

703-862-8972

---------------------------------------------------
W.W.S.D. what would Scooby Doo

Posted by: steve ()
Date: January 03, 2011 06:37PM

this is message is for tubby, who quoted that the plumbers with big ads are a rip off. You clearly do not know anything about running a business. let me educate you on running a business. the reason plumbers, electricians and heating and air and so on run big ads is because the phone book companys post those ads first therefore you are more likely to get more calls because your ad is first. Why do you think rotor rooter and mr rooter are always up front with big ads its not because they are ripping people off or over charging its because they want to be on the first page so it gives them the better odds on getting called. i have owned a plumbing business for 18 years and tried everything. i had a little dinky ad and guess what i was on the 13th page in the yellow pages, i ended up getting maybe 7 calls the whole year, this was when i first started my business. i saved up the money and started getting a bigger ad each year by saving my money, after 3 years i worked my way up to about the 4th page in the yellow pages and my business calls increased by about 70%. alot of self employed plumbers work very hard to save up the money to get a bigger ad in the yellow pages, so for you to say that tradesmen who have the bigger ads are screwing customer is totally wrong. i have a half of page in the yellow pages and that cost me an arm and a leg.but it generates alot more calls because senior citizens can read it better than a small ad and i am close to the front. i charge $700 dollars to replace a water heater, and i offer free estimates and senior discounts and i also will beat any plumbers estimate as long as its on paper. and for a curb stop i charge about $1200 depending on how much concrete has to be dug up and patches. i am rated 5 stars in my area and i often have other plumbers calling me to help them, And i have a big ad in the yellow pages and im not ripping people off at all. im not sure where in the heck you come up with your thinking that bigger ads from tradesmens means they are screwing people and or ripping people off. open up a business and put a small ad in the yellow pages and see what it does for you. if you dont have lots of money saved in your bank you will not be in business long my friend. some of the tradesmen who have small ads know alot of people and they get alot of word of mouth referrals and or have been in business a long time and have alot of clients established, do you know what it cost to own and run a successful business lots of money in advertising and insurance and workers comp is forked out each year. and if you are new and have a small ad in the yellow pages its a struggle to stay a float i been there and done it already. it pays to have a bigger ad in the yellow pages. 80% of my customers are seniors and veterans, and i offer discounts for both and a 80 year old male or female can read big print alot easier than a small dinky ad print.

Posted by: referral ()
Date: January 03, 2011 08:32PM

try Capitol Plumbing, Louis Interdonato. Local to Centreville.

Posted by: FoxMulder ()
Date: January 04, 2011 05:20AM

I called Michael & Son last time I needed a plumber. I knew that I was going to be charged a premium for calling a company like that, but at 7 am on a Sunday morning, the PRV above my water main broke and started flooding my house. I needed someone in there with a new valve and a torch ASAP. It was a little pricey...about $700, but I'm happy they came in and did what needed to be done. I always shop around, but in the case of emergency, I'd call them again.

Posted by: One-Way ()
Date: January 04, 2011 06:14AM

You got ripped if you paid nearly $700.00 for a PRV....Even if it was on Christmas morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2011 06:16AM by One-Way.

Posted by: larry ()
Date: October 20, 2011 07:47PM

I have a newer home and the curb stop valve with a long stem for shut off is burried about 4' below ground. The stem broke at the valve so I pulled it out and have been using a key that I purchased but now the valve has sand or gravel around it and I cannot get to the valve to shut it off. There is about a 4" cast pipe that goes from the ground surface to the valve. Is this pipe attached to the valve or just setting on top of the valve.
> Looks like my curb stop/valve is leaking.
> Fairfax water came out, told me to get it
> repaired.
>
> Anyone done anything like that? Estimated cost of
> such job?
>
> Also, can anyone recommend a good plumber in our
> area?
>
> Thanks

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.