HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Why are almost all of the apartments available in Fairfax County so overpriced and disgusting?
Posted by: A Simple Plan ()
Date: September 01, 2013 03:45AM

This is one of the richest counties in the world. But there are so many god damn sleazy apartment complexes where there are paper thin walls, loud music at all hours, annoying parking, and poorly managed "don't care" staff. Why can't any of these places get it right? They are full of unsavory people, way too expensive for what they offer. It is ridiculous that $1,100 a month gets you only a shitty one bedroom where you will likely have insect problems according to the apartment-review site. Plus most of the structures seem slabbed together or old and you get the roaches and bugs due to being walled in with other tenants who don't live cleanly like you.

If you look at apartmentreview.com on most the complexes in this area there are horror stories that make me want to consider living in my car.

Should I look for luxury apartments or what? I can't shell out more than about $1,000-$1,200 for rent + utilities. I don't even need a large space. I want a small but modern space that doesn't have bugs and isn't in the ghetto. It seems like this should be possible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why are almost all of the apartments available in Fairfax County so overpriced and disgusting?
Posted by: Renterrrrrr ()
Date: September 01, 2013 03:54AM

There's a good chance that the places are aren't as bad as the reviews due to the fact that generally people who are unhappy tend to review their apartment complexes.

If you are alone it might be more economical o rent out a room or basement. Check craigslist. Parts of Fairfax rent rooms for as low as $300-400 a month.

Re: Why are almost all of the apartments available in Fairfax County so overpriced and disgusting?
Posted by: Johnjohn ()
Date: September 01, 2013 04:48AM

Boo hoo, crying over high property values.

If you want cheap housing, go live in section 8 or inner city apartments.

Posted by: A Simple Plan ()
Date: September 01, 2013 06:28AM

Johnjohn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Boo hoo, crying over high property values.
>
> If you want cheap housing, go live in section 8 or
> inner city apartments.

Reading comprehension.

I am complaining about the lack of quality 1-2 person studio/1bdr/apartment/condo rentals generally. It just seems by the vast majority of reviews -and ones I've driven by- are sleazy, shabby, or just look like slum-houses.

Watching all those modern house flip shows you would think their would be some brand that would be able to put together decent apartments with modern fixtures, no bugs, rules about illegals hoard-living together etc.

Or maybe I just should have to shell out 2k plus per month for such luxuriousness...but then if I could do that I would do so on a mortgage right?

Posted by: Not so bad ()
Date: September 01, 2013 10:51AM

So move somewhere else.

Posted by: Rents to damn high ()
Date: September 01, 2013 11:01AM

There are nice new places, but you pay for it! A one bedroom/ studio with 586 square feet starting at $1500 and up..Nice place, but it's a rip off.
Plenty of those around.

Posted by: The Realist ()
Date: September 01, 2013 11:13AM

The AVERAGE 1-bedroom apartment in Fairfax County rents for just under $1400 per month. Studios are $80-100 less. With your budget, you are targeting the very bottom of the market and finding it. Your expectations have simply met up with reality. Reality isn't going to change. Something else will have to.

Posted by: JustanFYI ()
Date: September 01, 2013 11:28AM

How often do you go to a website and leave a good review? Now, how often or likely are you to go to a website and leave a bad review when you're pissed off and something went wrong?

Someone else said it above - but consider the fact MOST reviews are always negative. What you're looking for is the place with the least amount of negative reviews, or places with negative reviews that are all over the map. If an apartment complex has 60 negative reviews, and 55 of them say poor management and insect issues, its likely that its true. If there are 10 negative reviews and only 1 or 2 say the same thing and everything else is random, its probably a decent place.

Apartments are expensive because the property is expensive. Look at the cost of renting a small townhouse and it won't be much more than the apartment. If you want super cheap, consider renting out someones basement or a spare room in their house. 1 Bedroom apartments don't make much sense to me when a 2 bedroom is typically only 100-200 more. So, $1100 for a 1 bedroom, or $1300 for a 2 bedroom that you can split for $650 per roommate. Even if you don't split it, you have the extra space for storage, or for a home office if you telecommute.

Bottom line - don't be a bitch and learn how to deal with it.

Posted by: Rent Control ()
Date: September 01, 2013 11:40AM

It is a fact with apartment living in this area, It's expensive. My older brother just about shit himself when I told him what I was paying.
Times have changed, and those beat up apartments that were going for $800 a month 10 years ago are now $1400.
You can find nice new apartments, But they are going to cost you a mim of $1500.

Posted by: Section 8 ()
Date: September 01, 2013 12:02PM

If you want a great apartment in Fairfax - marble entry way, granite counters, pool, clubhouse, etc. then you need to get into Fairfax counties' Section 8 program. They have a presence in all of the upper end rental communities.

While these are great apartments, why are those who don't put energy into the careers rewarded with great housing at a low cost? It kind of makes one want to kick back a bit, work less and still live a high quality of life.

You've gotta love what the Liberals have done to Fairfax county.

Posted by: I'mSoMad ()
Date: September 01, 2013 12:03PM

Why can’t I find a late model (2009 and newer) Mercedes, and I’m not particular about the model, for less than $5k? It’s so fucked up that dealers and independent sellers want $25-50K for a car.

Posted by: Kickin Back ()
Date: September 01, 2013 12:35PM

Section 8 Wrote:
> If you want a great apartment in Fairfax - marble
> entry way, granite counters, pool, clubhouse, etc.
> then you need to get into Fairfax counties'
> Section 8 program. They have a presence in all of
> the upper end rental communities.
>
> While these are great apartments, why are those
> who don't put energy into the careers rewarded
> with great housing at a low cost? It kind of
> makes one want to kick back a bit, work less and
> still live a high quality of life.
>
> You've gotta love what the Liberals have done to
> Fairfax county.

This topic blows my fucking mind, I have had it with this shit!! If anyone doubts what this guy is posting, you're wrong.
You would not believe how nice those apartments are. These fuckers are living the good life and not working for it, just sittin back, feet up by the pool, Not giving one fuck about making the rent, waiting for next weeks welfare check to come in the mail.

I blame this on all of the Liberal fucks, You want to help the slugs of society, then you fucking pay for them. Get your hands out of my wallet.

Posted by: Get Real! ()
Date: September 01, 2013 01:17PM

When my husband and I rented our first place together 30 years ago we paid $1,200/month for a two bedroom condo turned apartment in Crystal City. Admittedly it was nice, but that was THIRTY YEARS AGO. Back when people earned about a third of what they do now. Personally, I'm astonished that apartment prices are so cheap now, especially given the rise in home prices. Count your blessings.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, people used to set financial priorities. If you wanted a nice place, you might have to give up other things (electronics, dining out, nicer cars, etc.). I just don't see that now, at least around here. Believe it or not, a cellphone, an iPad, a laptop, a PC, a widescreen TV, cable, a Beamer, expensive vacations, etc. are not necessities of life.

Figure out what you want and what you're willing to give up to get there. And if you're not willing to give anything up, then rent a room in a house.

Posted by: Words of wisdom ()
Date: September 01, 2013 01:26PM

Posted by: WackAttack ()
Date: September 01, 2013 01:47PM

Words of wisdom Wrote:
> Bottom line - don't be a bitch and learn how to
> deal with it.

Right because everyone around here can earn 80+k per year.

Posted by: Very true ()
Date: September 01, 2013 01:56PM

WackAttack Wrote:
> Words of wisdom Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Bottom line - don't be a bitch and learn how to
> > deal with it.
>
>
> Right because everyone around here can earn 80+k
> per year.

I with you, the fucking rent is out of control, you would think that this area has an ocean down the street, hell in southern california the rent is the same, and a very short ride to the beach.
I do understand some areas that can charge a lot because of the ability to walk to bars,restaurants, metro, ect. That I get, Other places should not be that expensive, but it is.
so i'm not going to be a bitch, I deal with it.

Posted by: LOL! ()
Date: September 01, 2013 02:23PM

Section 8 Wrote:
> If you want a great apartment in Fairfax - marble
> entry way, granite counters, pool, clubhouse, etc.
> then you need to get into Fairfax counties'
> Section 8 program. They have a presence in all of
> the upper end rental communities.

Section 8 is a federal program, pinhead. Landlords at all levels who are having problems with occupancy rates are likely to opt into Section 8 on the premise that some rent is better than no rent at all. But to qualify at all for a Section 8 tenant voucher, your income will need to be belwo 50% of the area median income. Better shoot for below 30% actually, since that's where most of the money goes. And of course, you'll still pay 30% of your income for rent, plus all applicable utilities. Section 8 will merely pay the difference between that 30% and the fair marlket rent.

Fairfax County does of course have its own low-income housing programs. Wait Lists for those are very long. Only a few are even open.

> While these are great apartments, why are those
> who don't put energy into the careers rewarded
> with great housing at a low cost? It kind of
> makes one want to kick back a bit, work less and
> still live a high quality of life.

Go for it, stupid. If it's so easy, only a fool would hold back.

> You've gotta love what the Liberals have done to
> Fairfax county.

Gotta love the absolute nonsense that comes spilling out of the ignorant mouths of the right-wing. Bunch of total incompetents.

Date: September 01, 2013 02:27PM

Kickin Back Wrote:
> This topic blows my fucking mind, I have had it
> with this shit!! If anyone doubts what this guy is
> posting, you're wrong.
> You would not believe how nice those apartments
> are. These fuckers are living the good life and
> not working for it, just sittin back, feet up by
> the pool, Not giving one fuck about making the
> rent, waiting for next weeks welfare check to come
> in the mail.

Another total stupid shit weighs in. Start shedding some income if you want in on Section 8. What? You don't want to do that? What a freaking surprise, moron.

> I blame this on all of the Liberal fucks, You want
> to help the slugs of society, then you fucking pay
> for them. Get your hands out of my wallet.

Typical. Taxes are lower than they've been since the 1950's and some idiots will still whine about it. Bunch of hopeless, clueless babies.

Date: September 01, 2013 02:33PM

WackAttack Wrote:
> Right because everyone around here can earn 80+k
> per year.

Probably not, but because so many people here do earn that much and more, the competition for housing and pretty much everything else gets a little stiff. That competition supports higher price levels than would be found in some no account backwater hell-hole. People who expected something different here were very sadly mistaken.

Posted by: what a tool ()
Date: September 01, 2013 02:35PM

you like to bitch a lot. Don't you have another thread where your going off about defending "the boot."
You should get laid more.

Date: September 01, 2013 02:37PM

Very true Wrote:
> Hell in southern california the rent is the same,
> and a very short ride to the beach.

It never gets cold there. The fleas never die. How come SoCal chamber of commerce types never mention that.

Date: September 01, 2013 02:50PM

what a tool Wrote:
> you like to bitch a lot. Don't you have another
> thread where your going off about defending "the
> boot."

I like to laugh at stupid people a lot. That's where you come in. As I've had to point out to assorted ignoramuses in other threads, Fill the Boot is a national campaign undertaken by fire and rescue workers to benefit a variety of worthy charities, including the Muscular Dystrophy Association in this area. These campaigns do not cause traffic delays, they are not a threat to highway saftey, and volunteers do not collapse from heat exhaustion. Total idiots launch into their tirades because the campaigns are sponsored by locals of a public union, and they've been trained like so many seals to hate public unions.

> You should get laid more.

You should read more. Sex isn't going to make you any smarter, Go jack off and then pick up a book. You'll be a better person for it.

Posted by: A Landlord ()
Date: September 01, 2013 02:59PM

Very true Wrote:
> I with you, the fucking rent is out of control,
> you would think that this area has an ocean down
> the street, hell in southern california the rent
> is the same, and a very short ride to the beach.
> I do understand some areas that can charge a lot
> because of the ability to walk to
> bars,restaurants, metro, ect. That I get, Other
> places should not be that expensive, but it is.
> so i'm not going to be a bitch, I deal with it.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. In the words of Dr. Phil - it is what it is. If you have not owned property in Fairfax, then you have no idea how expensive it is. The purchase price is just the beginning.

I own a rental property (SFH) in Fairfax, which I recently spent 60K to renovate. When we put it on the market at $3,000/month we got feedback that it was listed too high. We got four offers in less than a week. It wasn't too high.

These are the costs incurred in renting out a property, at least from the perspective of the owner of a SFH:
- rehab/maintenance between tenants. In our case, we decided to do a major rehab, but we normally spend at least $1,000 - generally much more - between tenants (painting, cleaning, yard spruce up, etc.)
- at least one month's downtime between tenants to do this work, unless the previous tenants were spotless, the place doesn't need work, and the new tenants are flexible.
- one month's rent for a property management company to secure a new tenant. Much higher caliber tenant through a management company than through Craigslist.
- 8-10% of the monthly rental to have the management company handle the tenants. Plus additional fees (reserves, etc.). We just started doing this after the tenants from hell moved out.
- legal fees incurred in dealing with the tenants from hell.
- on-going maintenance. Stuff breaks down (appliances, heating/AC, roof, ...) and needs to be repaired or replaced. Plus the occasional natural event (flooding, trees falling, electrical strike, ...)

This does not include the mortgage, property taxes ($$$), insurance, etc. And it assumes that your tenant pays the rent (on time), does not trash the place, doesn't need to be evicted, etc.

Yes, we now turn a nice profit. But we've owned the place for years and put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into it. I can only assume that our experience is a microcosm of that of a multi-unit apartment complex. It isn't easy.

Posted by: GmYxd ()
Date: September 01, 2013 03:09PM

How about we stop immigration to Fairfax County. I'm not talking about illegal immigration. I mean American citizens. Stop coming here. THERE ARE TOO MANY FUCKING PEOPLE HERE. Go back to Iowa, dammit.

Posted by: lolwtf2 ()
Date: September 01, 2013 04:29PM

$1000 a month with utilities included? that sounds nuts. i think my apartment in college cost more than that.. it was a 2 bedroom though but that was in bumfuck no where and several years ago.

i cant imagine you couldnt rent a two bedroom place as a room mate for under $1k.

Posted by: It's true ()
Date: September 01, 2013 04:43PM

lolwtf2 Wrote:
> $1000 a month with utilities included? that sounds
> nuts. i think my apartment in college cost more
> than that.. it was a 2 bedroom though but that was
> in bumfuck no where and several years ago.
>
> i cant imagine you couldnt rent a two bedroom
> place as a room mate for under $1k.

Depends on the apartment, A nice 2 bedroom is a good area will run over $2000 a month.

Posted by: Section 8 ()
Date: September 01, 2013 04:48PM

LOL! Wrote:
>
> Section 8 is a federal program, pinhead.
> Landlords at all levels who are having problems
> with occupancy rates are likely to opt into
> Section 8 on the premise that some rent is better
> than no rent at all. But to qualify at all for a
> Section 8 tenant voucher, your income will need to
> be belwo 50% of the area median income. Better
> shoot for below 30% actually, since that's where
> most of the money goes. And of course, you'll
> still pay 30% of your income for rent, plus all
> applicable utilities. Section 8 will merely pay
> the difference between that 30% and the fair
> marlket rent.
>
> Fairfax County does of course have its own
> low-income housing programs. Wait Lists for those
> are very long. Only a few are even open.
>
> Go for it, stupid. If it's so easy, only a fool
> would hold back.
>
> Gotta love the absolute nonsense that comes
> spilling out of the ignorant mouths of the
> right-wing. Bunch of total incompetents.

I referred to Section 8 as a method of describing the subsidy provided for Fairfax residents on behalf of the county. But, thanks for the correction.

But, there's a simple fact that I feel I need to educate you on. Fairfax county currently pays out about $1 Million per year in condo fees and HOA fees for the properties that are subsidized. Yes. That is just for condo and HOA fees. Then, we have the rents, too. Which is several more millions of dollars. Gee, the taxpayers would be real happy if they knew of all these numbers.

Finally, my reference to Liberals doing most of this is pretty accurate. The Liberals are the bleeding heart types who are willing to spend everyone's tax dollars in wreckless ways in order to provide for everyone. If you deny this last part in any way, it just proves you're deep into it with the Liberal society.

Posted by: Lamb Center ()
Date: September 01, 2013 06:24PM

Always room for one more

Posted by: Add It Up ()
Date: September 01, 2013 06:28PM

>1K = Shit+Hole

Date: September 01, 2013 09:41PM

Section 8 Wrote:
> I referred to Section 8 as a method of describing
> the subsidy provided for Fairfax residents on
> behalf of the county. But, thanks for the
> correction.

That's because you are a slowpoke who doesn't know what he is talking about.

> But, there's a simple fact that I feel I need to
> educate you on. Fairfax county currently pays out
> about $1 Million per year in condo fees and HOA
> fees for the properties that are subsidized. Yes.
> That is just for condo and HOA fees. Then, we
> have the rents, too. Which is several more
> millions of dollars. Gee, the taxpayers would be
> real happy if they knew of all these numbers.

Anyone who wasn't just plain too lazy could simply look these numbers up. For instance, total expenditures in the FY 2013 County Budget were expected to be a little more than $6.5 billion. The entire FY 2013 program budget for the Department of Housing and Community Development was meanwhile less that $6 million. Population in the county is approaching 1.1 million.

> Finally, my reference to Liberals doing most of
> this is pretty accurate. The Liberals are the
> bleeding heart types who are willing to spend
> everyone's tax dollars in wreckless ways in order
> to provide for everyone.

So these Liberals you speak of pay no taxes themselves? They only spend taxes "stolen" from everybody else? You pinheads really do make me laugh. Such a cartoon-level world you seem to live in.

> If you deny this last part in any way, it just
> proves you're deep into it with the Liberal society.

Ah, "the Liberal society"! And you're not actually a nutcase, I suppose?

Posted by: Oh, I Didn't Realize ()
Date: September 01, 2013 10:38PM

LOL! Wrote:
>
> Ah, "the Liberal society"! And you're not
> actually a nutcase, I suppose?

Wow. I never thought the "Liberal in Chief" would be here to critique my post. So, tell me, Einstein, what is it that you do that isn't so perfect? Or, are you perfect in every way, 100% of the time?

It's funny how you respond to many posts here on this forum and just cut people down for what they've said or comments that they've made. You like to call people morons, or retarded. Or, even a nut case. But, let me tell you, maybe you should take a good, long look in the mirror. The real nut case might be the person you see in the mirror.

Posted by: No Problems man ()
Date: September 01, 2013 10:46PM

Oh, I Didn't Realize Wrote:
> LOL! Wrote:
> -----
> >
> > Ah, "the Liberal society"! And you're not
> > actually a nutcase, I suppose?
>
> Wow. I never thought the "Liberal in Chief" would
> be here to critique my post. So, tell me,
> Einstein, what is it that you do that isn't so
> perfect? Or, are you perfect in every way, 100%
> of the time?
>
> It's funny how you respond to many posts here on
> this forum and just cut people down for what
> they've said or comments that they've made. You
> like to call people morons, or retarded. Or, even
> a nut case. But, let me tell you, maybe you
> should take a good, long look in the mirror. The
> real nut case might be the person you see in the
> mirror.

The poster is a troll, Looking to get people fired up. Just ignore it.

Posted by: 12XU ()
Date: September 02, 2013 09:48AM

1. Overpriced
2. Disgusting

Those are the two top characteristics of the region. Of course apartments will reflect that fact.

Date: September 02, 2013 10:15AM

Oh, I Didn't Realize Wrote:
> Wow. I never thought the "Liberal in Chief" would
> be here to critique my post.

When you deny the possibility of disagreement with your feeble post on the grounds of that confirming that one is "deep into it with the Liberal society", you leave yourself open to boundless ridicule. You deserved more than you got.

So do liberals also pay taxes? You never did answer that question.

> So, tell me, Einstein, what is it that you do that isn't so
> so perfect?

Golf. Otherwise, perfection is an ideal to pursue, but it can only be approached through a process of driving out dunb-ass error, This is something that too many here put entirely too little effort into.

> It's funny how you respond to many posts here on
> this forum and just cut people down for what
> they've said or comments that they've made.

That would be on account of their posting utterly inane and insipid comments. Thoughtful and intelligent posts are treated differently.

> You like to call people morons, or retarded. Or, even
> a nut case.

As applicable. Posters INVITE such words. I merely FedEx them to the appropriate address.

> But let me tell you, maybe you should
> take a good, long look in the mirror. The
> real nut case might be the person you see in the
> mirror.

Gosh, that's so deep. In a third-grade sort of way.

Posted by: Real Deal. ()
Date: September 02, 2013 10:58AM

My co worker rented a home out to section 8. He thought it was sweet because he was guaranteed the rent with our tax dollars of course. The "residents" trashed the place causing ten of thousands of dollars in damage. They left taking the washer and dryer with them along with the refrigerator. It was no use going to criminal court since they had left the place unlocked and he couldn't prove they were the ones who took the appliances. Civil court was a waste of time since the deadbeats had no money anyway.

Another section 8 success story showing their gratitude for free stuff.

Posted by: Lesson learned ()
Date: September 02, 2013 12:15PM

Real Deal. Wrote:
> My co worker rented a home out to section 8. He
> thought it was sweet because he was guaranteed the
> rent with our tax dollars of course. The
> "residents" trashed the place causing ten of
> thousands of dollars in damage. They left taking
> the washer and dryer with them along with the
> refrigerator. It was no use going to criminal
> court since they had left the place unlocked and
> he couldn't prove they were the ones who took the
> appliances. Civil court was a waste of time since
> the deadbeats had no money anyway.
>
> Another section 8 success story showing their
> gratitude for free stuff.

Never rent to a Negro, or a liberal. They are always a day late and a dollar short. Fuck section 8. Hope the guy learned his lesson.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: September 02, 2013 12:33PM

Try to split a townhouse with one or two others. Some have two master suites and can easily be rented for $1200 apiece. You can also find a three BR, 3 bath house for less than $3K. Forget the apartments.

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: Joe Schumk ()
Date: September 02, 2013 12:33PM

The problem is when you give someone something for free they do not appreciate it. There is no downside if they destroy the apartments, in fact if they can show what dismal shape they are in they will get another apartment.

Posted by: If LoL! Were Running The County ()
Date: September 02, 2013 12:42PM

I'll tell you, you've got to love the posts and responses by LOL!</> If this guy were running the United States, you would all be paying 80% in taxes. He loves to spend, spend and spend some more. If it's your tax dollars, even better!

Additionally, you've got to love how he responds to everyone like they are the moron or the idiot. Do all of you people just sit there and let the true idiot - LOL! just spew day in and day out?

That guy needs to get a life. Plus, as suggested earlier, he needs to get laid. However, he then responds back to the person who suggested it in a defensive way and cuts that person down.

Maybe, LOL! has his panties all up in bunch because the Lamb Center might be closed today to observe the holiday.

Posted by: all depends ()
Date: September 02, 2013 12:45PM

Dane Bramage Wrote:
> Try to split a townhouse with one or two others.
> Some have two master suites and can easily be
> rented for $1200 apiece. You can also find a three
> BR, 3 bath house for less than $3K. Forget the
> apartments.

I would not pay $1200 to live with roommates, they tend to suck. hell for another $200 you can get a small one bedroom apartment. Then again, It will be small.
i guess it depends on the age of the Renter.

Posted by: Wow, Sorry ()
Date: September 02, 2013 12:48PM

Real Deal. Wrote:
> the deadbeats had no money anyway.
>
> Another section 8 success story showing their
> gratitude for free stuff.

I'm awfully sorry to hear about the experience your co-worker / friend had. It just proves a very valid point. Some people just can't appreciate anything at all.

I wonder how long until LOL! comes in and responds to your post by trying to defend the person or family that rented that unit.

It's because of people like LOL! that the rest of our country is turning into Detroit. His views are pathetic! He tries to show compassion by being a Liberal, but then has a forked tongue and calls everyone names when he responds to posts.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: September 02, 2013 01:02PM

all depends Wrote:
> Dane Bramage Wrote:
> -----
> > Try to split a townhouse with one or two
> others.
> > Some have two master suites and can easily be
> > rented for $1200 apiece. You can also find a
> three
> > BR, 3 bath house for less than $3K. Forget the
> > apartments.
>
>
> I would not pay $1200 to live with roommates, they
> tend to suck. hell for another $200 you can get a
> small one bedroom apartment. Then again, It will
> be small.
> i guess it depends on the age of the Renter.

Agree that there are downsides to splitting a place. I did it back in the day, but with friends I already knew. Definitely has benefits, like use of the HOA pool and rec facilities, plus have a LOT more room.

-------------------------------------------------
“We don’t have any rude, unpleasant people here. We’re different!”

Posted by: Condoer ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:11PM

Rent a small condo. They are cleaner, quieter and nicer.

Posted by: Idea Guy ()
Date: September 02, 2013 07:23PM

I'm fascinated by crappy apartments, the first one I ever had I saw two cockroaches humping. You can learn alot from an insect.

Posted by: Another landlord ()
Date: September 03, 2013 06:48AM

Why? Because 1-bedroom condos in the "inner city" such as the gentrified Shaw neighborhood are averaging $2600/month. Good luck in FFX.

Date: September 03, 2013 09:47AM

Wow, Sorry Wrote:
> I wonder how long until LOL! comes in and
> responds to your post by trying to defend the
> person or family that rented that unit.

Might be a while. The Resource Officer will probably be keeping an eye on you in the cafeteria by that time, you pathetic juvenile suck-ass.

> It's because of people like LOL! that the
> rest of our country is turning into Detroit. His
> views are pathetic!

Lotta butt-hurt going on over there. Not much else though. What a joke!

Posted by: BillyBob ()
Date: September 03, 2013 01:02PM

Supply and demand...Duh

Date: September 03, 2013 01:44PM

Real Deal. Wrote:
> the deadbeats had no money anyway. Another section
> 8 success story showing their gratitude for free
> stuff.

Yeah, my neighbor's kid is your co-worker's parole officer, and he told me the chump is nothing but a worthless scumbag liar.
So are you, by the way.

People don't sit on wait-lists in order to trash a place. They do it because they are hoping to find a decent home for themselves and their families. As flat-out stupid as you have made yourself out to be here, I predict that you will have quite a difficult time with that yourself one day. As of now though, you're just one more bit of underage freeloader pond scum wasting the perfectly good oxygen that could have been used by a much more deserving species. One more hapless low-life asshole who knows nothing at all about Section 8 or about tenant liability law. Just another wash-out loser/failure-type already packed and aboard life's down-elevator, but at least you'll have some experience when bogged down by these same sorts of shortcomings later in life.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: September 03, 2013 01:45PM

Supply, demand and inadequate regulation. A willingness of certain demographics to pack into apartments in order to cover rent and a willingness of landlords to look the other way has resulted in upward pressure on rental prices that would be mitigated if maximum occupancy provisions were enforced. And why should a landlord spend money to fix a place up if he's getting the same rent either way.

Date: September 03, 2013 01:56PM

Wow, Sorry Wrote:
> It's because of people like LOL! that the
> rest of our country is turning into Detroit.

No, the real problem in this country is the boatloads of absolutely ignorant right-wing dumb-fucks created by FOX News and the rest of the disinformation media. These are so many pseudo-humans who lack any actual intellectual processing power at all. Hence, they fall easy prey to the simplest of emotional manipulations. Be afraid of Communists! Be afraid of liberals! Be afraid of Muslims! Be afraid of terrorists and WMD! Be afraid of debt and spending, for crying out loud. It's all the same stupid horseshit story over and over and over again, but somehow the ranks of all these total assholes still manage to believe in Santa Claus. You want some absolutely mindless limp-dick losers? There you go in spades. You and your pea-brained asshole buddies take the fucking cake when it comes to mindless limp-dick losing.

Posted by: unfairfax ()
Date: September 03, 2013 02:53PM

Cheapest apartments I could find within an hour's commute of fairfax county....

Melrose- $700/mo one bedroom, Triangle, VA

http://www.apartmentshowcase.com/details/virginia/triangle/melrose/1863

Dale Forest- $730/mo one bedroom, Dale City, VA

http://www.apartmentshowcase.com/details/virginia/woodbridge/dale-forest-brightwood-forest/1420

and that was about IT unless you want to go even further south, into Stafford or Spotsylvania county (fredericksburg)....and even then the rents still start at aout 1k!!!

Long story short if you want rent >1k around here- either go further south or into DC or MD (like PG county)....otherwise it JUST WONT HAPPEN around here.

Even the shittiest apartments with 10 people living in a 1 bedroom STILL is over 1k/month. Culmore, Hoodbridge, all down the Highway (rt. 1).....same thing. So even the hoodrats are paying this high ass rent.

All I can tell you is good luck and get a better paying job- most out here want AT LEAST $35k and up annual salary ($15-17 hourly) before they will even let you look at an application. Working at Walmart for $9 an hour wont cut it, even if you're full time, sorry. Get a roommate.

Posted by: unfairfax ()
Date: September 03, 2013 02:57PM

Last note on this- if they actually enforced the over occupancy laws on the books, it would be a LOT easier to get an apartment. How can a single person making a small salary get a place up against Paco, Maria, Jose, and their 5 kids and 6 cousins all ponying up on rent for that one 2 bedroom apartment? Each of them pays 200- rent is paid. One single person is going to have a hard time....

Posted by: Simple Explanation ()
Date: September 03, 2013 06:34PM

Apartments are trashed and ugly because freeloading, lazyass loser libs like LOL! have been living there. They never take personal responsibility for anything. Heck, they'd have govt staff changing their soiled diapers if they could get a freebie like that.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: September 03, 2013 06:47PM

Simple Explanation Wrote:
> Apartments are trashed and ugly because
> freeloading, lazyass loser libs like LOL! have
> been living there. They never take personal
> responsibility for anything. Heck, they'd have
> govt staff changing their soiled diapers if they
> could get a freebie like that.

Thank you Mr. Beck.

Posted by: LOL you are needy ()
Date: September 03, 2013 10:43PM

No landlord gets into Section 8 because "some rent is better than no rent" as LOL described.
ALL landlords get a check from the tenant AND the government for Section 8 rentals. Then the government will also give favors such as breaks on new housing starts and tax breaks as well. Landlords have a PROFIT motive not a liberal help the poor motive for Section 8's.

LOL your constant trying to respond and put down posters in this thread is absolutely psycho. You have issues about being right and seeming smart. Grow up and drink a beer. NO, I am not re-visiting this thread to see your response. Pointless...

Posted by: scared renter ()
Date: September 13, 2013 11:53AM

About 6 years ago I moved into a basement apartment. The landlords were a old couple (like 85) and they had a mildly retarded son that was about 65. I tried to never really have to see them because they were just too weird to talk to. One of the doors in my apartment opened to the rest of their basement, and to where there laundry room was. I never did laundry in there because I didn't want to ever run into them, so I just did laundry at my boyfriends parents house. On numerous occasions I would come home and find the old man with the basement door open and him walking around in my apartment. I ran to my boyfriends parents house to get his dad, but by the time I got back he was gone. Another time I caught him in my apartment I said "can I help you?" and I don't know if it's because he was so old, or just shocked that I had caught him but all he could think to say was "uhh, oh, I just got home from church" like that made it ok? haha

The other thing that happened was that any time I would go into the bathroom, or turn on the shower, I would hear footsteps upstairs above my bathroom... and then the footsteps would stop. Directly over the bathroom. It happened ALL THE TIME.

After I moved out, a friend of my boyfriends family decided to move in since the rent was so cheap. She decided to really clean the place up and re-decorate. When they started ripping down the wall paper in the bathroom, they found numerous "peep-holes" behind the wall paper.

Posted by: Buy don't rent ()
Date: September 13, 2013 12:07PM

Just buy a house. It'll be cheaper than renting. Renting is for suckers.

Date: September 13, 2013 12:23PM

Simple Explanation Wrote:
> Apartments are trashed and ugly because
> freeloading, lazyass loser libs like LOL! have
> been living there.

Eat your heart out, you asswipe degenerate. LOL! lives in a 7-figure home in Hunter Valley. Come on over sometime and we can ride horsies together. Okay, maybe a pony for you. You aren't afraid of ponies, are you?

Posted by: Lol! ()
Date: September 13, 2013 12:38PM

scared renter Wrote:

>
> After I moved out, a friend of my boyfriends
> family decided to move in since the rent was so
> cheap. She decided to really clean the place up
> and re-decorate. When they started ripping down
> the wall paper in the bathroom, they found
> numerous "peep-holes" behind the wall paper.

That's hot!!

Date: September 13, 2013 12:39PM

LOL you are needy Wrote:
> No landlord gets into Section 8 because "some rent
> is better than no rent" as LOL described.

Those with empty units and a grain of sense do. Poor little moron apparently doesn't realize that this has been quite a common occurence since 2008 when years of idiotic right-wing economic policies finally crashed the economy. Guess what owners with no occupants and builders with no buyers turn to in trying to bolster sagging cashflow. HINT FOR THE SERIOUSLY STUPID: Section 8.

> ALL landlords get a check from the tenant AND the
> government for Section 8 rentals.

Yes, pinhead, that's how it works. The occupant pays 30% of his or her income, and a Section 8 tenant voucher pays the difference between that and fair market rent. Together, these two amounts come to so much more than the $0 that an empty unit generates,

> LOL your constant trying to respond and put down
> posters in this thread is absolutely psycho. You
> have issues about being right and seeming smart.
> Grow up and drink a beer. NO, I am not
> re-visiting this thread to see your response.
> Pointless...

Why don't you just get lost completely. Ignorant asswipes do not improve the quality of any thread at all.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.