HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Bed bugs
Posted by: Your Moms ()
Date: August 21, 2013 08:31PM

Long story short, I live in a townhouse. Got a flop house full of illegal Salvadoreans next door, been busted by the county multiple times. Currently at least 9 living in a 3BR house. Got bed bugs last year. Heat treated to the tune of 2K. They come back every few months. Exterminator finally got in next door and said they had an infestation.

Exterminator said our problem wouldn't be fixed until the filthy beaners treated properly. The illegals cried poor and said they couldn't afford it.

Called board of health, they said tough shit. Called HOA they said tough shit. No legal options. Putting a call in to CPS tomorrow since they have kids among the locust.

I submit my problem to you, FU for 2 reasons:

1) I'm going fucking crazy and look forward to some witty, creative solutions.
2) if anyone has a legitimate solution, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks, friends.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bed bugs
Posted by: Sympathy ()
Date: August 21, 2013 08:47PM

That's one of my worst nightmares.

Maybe it'd be worth it to offer to split the cost of the treatment w/ the neighbor?

Do you know who owns the house? Start there.

Also, I don't understand why the overcrowding/illegal boarding house violations haven't ended your problem via county authorities. If I were you, I'd be writing and calling authorities often, and documenting the violations to share evidence with county authorities. Do you know the appropriate offices to contact? I'd also try elevating it by sharing your plight with your representative on the county board of supervisors, among others. You might even try media outlets, though you might garner unwanted attention that way.

One last possibility: a second opinion from another pest control co. on whether you might be able to seal off the wall separating houses.

Good luck! You sound calmer than I'd be.

Date: August 21, 2013 09:02PM

Thanks, sympathy. Good advice.

The owner lives there and runs the boarding house. As far as the calm comme t goes, I think I'm just worn out and resigned at this point.

I know we've got the right numbers as far as the County board of health is concerned. To their credit, they're sending me a flyer in Spanish to give the neighbors stating that whe they're a a nuisance, bed bugs aren't a health threat.

We're on our second pest professional company after the first one quit saying they couldn't figure out how we had a problem since we were doing all the right things to remedy the problem.

Posted by: More sympathy ()
Date: August 21, 2013 09:14PM

Not surprised county health dept. is not helpful--look at how they handled the TB epidemic in Springfield (I noticed they chose not to disclose key info in news coverage re: to infected population).

Anyway, I would try the Zoning Enforcement Branch of the Dept. of Planning and Zoning: 703-324-1300, which handles issues with too many unrelated people living in a home, and also the Code Enforcement Div. of the Dept. of Public Works, 703-324-1937, which addresses overcrowding as well as unsanitary living conditions and unsafe basement bedrooms and insect infestations that damage structures.

Date: August 21, 2013 09:27PM

Truly appreciate it. I'll give them both a try.

Posted by: Some ideas ()
Date: August 22, 2013 04:53AM

In the meantime, there are some ways to deal with bed bugs to keep them under "control"...

FAQ List for Bed Bugs
http://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/whats_bugging_you/bed_bugs/bedbugs_faqs.asp

Top 10 Tips for Dealing with Bedbugs
http://www.thebedbugdog.net/top10.php

Bed Bugs - What They Are and How to Control Them
http://www.health.ny.gov/environmental/pests/bedbugs.htm

Posted by: it works ()
Date: August 22, 2013 05:05AM

C0121215-Bottle_of_DDT_pesticide-SPL.jpg

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: August 22, 2013 01:34PM

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: August 22, 2013 01:56PM

You do have a legal option. Take the owner of the property next door and all tenants you can identify to court for maintaining a nuisance. Your exterminator should be an adequate witness if he saw the infestation in the property next door. You may even be able to do this yourself without a lawyer, if the damages are low enough.

When calculating damages remember that you are going to have to have both units treated, and possibly have them treated multiple times. Bedbugs can be a bitch to get rid of. Punitive damages might be possible, but don't go apeshit. They may price you out of being able to handle it yourself and asking too much may cause the judge to award none at all.

Hitting the owner is key. The owner is the one who has the financial incentive to leave things the way they are. The owner most likely has the most to lose from a lawsuit. Thus the owner is the one most likely to try to resolve things with you. Further the owner may be the one who is easiest to identify and sue. However you do also want to go after tenants there as well.

If you have them, the person on the other side may as well. If an attorney is needed, maybe a joint lawsuit would be possible.

Posted by: Full Blast ()
Date: August 22, 2013 02:29PM

Calling CPS is an excellent way to get this situation under control. You can call Fairfax County CPS, and it will not get much attention at first. Call the national 1 800 child abuse and neglect hotline for real results. We had a mother in our neighborhood that was whacked out on drugs, and had 3 kids. At first FX CPS made a house call, but when the national folks got into the mix things got moving.

This is not the way children should be living, so bedbugs aside you are helping them.

One last piece - If you go the route of calling CPS, and all of that, be prepared to be a witness, and go to court to do the right thing. Otherwise it looks like revenge.

Good Luck

Posted by: TTWjV ()
Date: August 22, 2013 02:47PM

Ditto what everyone else said- and I have used this kit in my old apartment with GREAT results....I don't work for them I am a customer and I preach this to anyone who has bedbugs- you gotta hit them with the heavy stuff! This is what the pros use and was recommended to me by an extermanitor when I was in the same boat- bedbugs and little money to treat them!!!

For only $65 it's worth a shot in your home- if it helped me out living in Bayvue in Woodbridge a few years back (read: "locust city") then it should work for you!!! (about Bayvue if you didn't know: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/VA-Woodbridge-Bayvue-Apartments.html)

Here is the BEDBUG stuff--- http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bed-bug-kit-p-231.html

Their roach control stuff works GREAT too- I got some for my friend's house who had a SERIOUS infestation and that maxbait stuff took them right out!!!

Posted by: Enrico Palazzo ()
Date: August 22, 2013 02:51PM

BURN IT!
Attachments:
hqdefault.jpg

Posted by: Doctor DNA ()
Date: August 22, 2013 02:54PM

TTWjV Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ditto what everyone else said- and I have used
> this kit in my old apartment with GREAT
> results....I don't work for them I am a customer
> and I preach this to anyone who has bedbugs- you
> gotta hit them with the heavy stuff! This is what
> the pros use and was recommended to me by an
> extermanitor when I was in the same boat- bedbugs
> and little money to treat them!!!
>
>
> For only $65 it's worth a shot in your home- if it
> helped me out living in Bayvue in Woodbridge a few
> years back (read: "locust city") then it should
> work for you!!! (about Bayvue if you didn't know:
> http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/VA-Woodbridge
> -Bayvue-Apartments.html)
>
>
> Here is the BEDBUG stuff---
> http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/bed-bug-kit-p-23
> 1.html
>
> Their roach control stuff works GREAT too- I got
> some for my friend's house who had a SERIOUS
> infestation and that maxbait stuff took them right
> out!!!

With only "minor" side effects...

Extra hands!?! Great!
Attachments:
zombie-evolution-radiation-mutation.jpg
143415-chilling-images-of-human-mutation-across-the-world.jpg

Posted by: FttC4 ()
Date: August 22, 2013 09:09PM

Doctor DNA Wrote:

> With only "minor" side effects...
>
> Extra hands!?! Great!

Probably not. It's all Pyrethrin based insecticide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrethrin

Posted by: fishy ()
Date: August 24, 2013 03:39AM

Your Moms Wrote:
> Long story short, I live in a townhouse. Got a
> flop house full of illegal Salvadoreans next door,
> been busted by the county multiple times.
> Currently at least 9 living in a 3BR house. Got
> bed bugs last year. Heat treated to the tune of
> 2K. They come back every few months. Exterminator
> finally got in next door and said they had an
> infestation.
>
> Exterminator said our problem wouldn't be fixed
> until the filthy beaners treated properly. The
> illegals cried poor and said they couldn't afford
> it.
>
> Called board of health, they said tough shit.
> Called HOA they said tough shit. No legal options.
> Putting a call in to CPS tomorrow since they have
> kids among the locust.
>
> I submit my problem to you, FU for 2 reasons:
>
> 1) I'm going fucking crazy and look forward to
> some witty, creative solutions.
> 2) if anyone has a legitimate solution, I'd love
> to hear it.
>
> Thanks, friends.

Ummm, how did your exterminator get in next door? Did they break in?

Date: August 24, 2013 12:31PM

He told them we had seen bed bugs and wanted to see if they had a problem too. Of course it helps that he's fluent in Spanish. They told him right away they had a problem but just sprayed Raid on them whenever they saw them. He said he showed them where the infestation was and they needed to be properly treated because they were causing our problem.

He offered them half off a treatment, they said they couldn't afford it and would stick with Raid.

Someone suggested I offer to pay for their treatment. I thought about it, but at the rate they move tenants and mattresses in and out I just don't see that being effective in the long term.

I did call county enforcement number someone listed. They said I should call board of health. But they are opening an investigation in to the boarding house part of it. I emphasized the unsanitary conditions and young children. We'll see what happens.

In the mean time I've armed myself with Zenprox and Sterifab. Regular treatments may keep them at bay, but I'm still living in fear and it has seriously traumatized my wife. I just don't see us getting peace of mind until we can get the locust out somehow.

Posted by: Javier ()
Date: August 24, 2013 12:41PM

How are they getting into your house? Are all the cracks sealed?

Date: August 24, 2013 12:58PM

Good question. I hope you've never had the unpleasant experience of seeing one but they can make themselves flatter than a credit card. We've had baseboards, walls and electrical outlets all treated, but chemical treatment is temporary. If the fuckers would shell out for a heat treatment, it would totally exterminate all stages of life. When they spray them with raid, it may kill a couple but doesn't eliminate the eggs or other pockets of infestation and may push them over towards us. I can and do treat regularly but I can't keep every minuscule crack saturated all the time.

I'm not sure if it would be possible to caulk/seal every possible crack or outlet, pipe,etc. but would certainly be open to that idea if it could be guaranteed. Any recommendations for businesses that do that would be most welcome!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2013 01:04PM by Your Moms.

Posted by: problem solver ()
Date: August 24, 2013 01:28PM

Someone should design bedbug PJs made out of netting that covers your whole body at night. Make a million bucks and problem solved.

Posted by: MOVE ()
Date: August 24, 2013 01:42PM

I think you should move into an apartment or townhouse that doesn't allow flop houses.

Posted by: brilliant ()
Date: August 24, 2013 02:28PM

problem solver Wrote:
> Someone should design bedbug PJs made out of
> netting that covers your whole body at night.
> Make a million bucks and problem solved.

The PJs would have to have double layer netting so the bedbugs couldn't get their mouthparts through. If you sew little ears on top they would be really cute and big sellers no doubt.

Posted by: I'll bite ()
Date: August 24, 2013 02:42PM

brilliant Wrote:
> problem solver Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Someone should design bedbug PJs made out of
> > netting that covers your whole body at night.
> > Make a million bucks and problem solved.
>
> The PJs would have to have double layer netting so
> the bedbugs couldn't get their mouthparts through.
> If you sew little ears on top they would be
> really cute and big sellers no doubt.

I would buy those to do yard work. Tired of having to spray myself with OFF.

Posted by: louderthanhell ()
Date: August 25, 2013 01:01AM

I have heard that steam cleaning can kill the bedbugs pretty well.

http://www.bedbugsguide.com/steam-cleaning-bedbugs.htm

http://www.daimer.com/steam-cleaners-for-bed-bugs-removal/

http://www.cleaning-with-steam.com/kill-bed-bugs-with-steam.html

Personally, if I were a bedbug, I would leave your house if you started playing anything by the Dave Matthews Band. If you played Satelite or Crash, I would probable grow wings and fly out of your house and not land until I was in Australia.

Bed Bug Pajamas
Posted by: Kathy Harvey ()
Date: February 01, 2014 10:19PM

Someone has designed Bed Bug Pajamas.

www.bedbugpajamas.com

Posted by: Local kid ()
Date: February 01, 2014 10:33PM

Boarding houses are illegal in Fairfax. I know In work for the county legal department. Report the address to DCC dept. of Code Compliance they will handle this one. Not the bed bugs but the illegal housing. Once that issue is taken care of then the bed bugs can be addressed. Call Immediately 703/324 /1910

Posted by: m6y7P ()
Date: February 08, 2014 10:48AM

Your Moms Wrote:
> infestation.
>
> it.
>
> kids among the locust.
>
>
> to hear it.
>
> Thanks, friends.

Have you tried fire? That will take care of the beaners and the bed bugs.

Posted by: Where do they come from? ()
Date: February 09, 2014 12:12PM

What's the best way to eliminate bed bugs? How do they get in?

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: February 09, 2014 05:54PM

Have you tried sprinkling a bit of diatomaceous earth around? It's apparently hell on critters with an chitinous exoskeleton, and if you buy the 'food grade' variety it's safe enough to eat (many people do to kill intestinal worms). I got a tub of this stuff and a 4 dollar 'sprayer' thingy and squirted it liberally about the corners of my house. Hey, it's Virginia, shits gonna get inside, but the DE seems to discourage all comers.

Works outside too - I get ants where I don't want them, I give the nest a couple of teaspoons right on top. Problem solved.

Posted by: Cool stuff ()
Date: February 09, 2014 06:17PM

Where do you get diatomaceous earth?

Posted by: abelard ()
Date: February 09, 2014 06:47PM

>Where do you get diatomaceous earth?

I got mine off Amazon but Lowes should have it. Make sure you get pure DE - there are products that DE in them plus a bit of other stuff, some of which you might not want sprinkled around your home. Be sure you get 'food grade' if you're worried at all about having contact with it yourself, or with kids or pets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2014 06:48PM by abelard.

Posted by: ~~~~~~~~~ ()
Date: February 09, 2014 07:28PM

I did see a product where there were dishes around each bed leg. Supposedly the bed bugs have trouble crossing the liquid in the dishes and become trapped in it.

Posted by: Uso Ghey ()
Date: February 10, 2014 03:50AM

Your Moms Wrote:
> infestation.
>
> it.
>
> kids among the locust.
>
>
> to hear it.
>
> Thanks, friends.

I don't know how your townhomes were constructed, but how do bed bugs get through a solid cinderblock wall? Perhaps if you stopped meeting your gay lover at the NoTell Motel your problem would stop.

Date: February 10, 2014 06:34AM

6 months later:

County zoning opened an investigation, came by to inspect. Got stood up by the owner/boarding house operator repeatedly. She is always home except when shuttling her patrons around to ihop, McDonald's or their other jobs. Just knows when to not answer the door. She did talk to him on the phone and said there were only 4 of them living there. I count 12. County inspector relayed this to me, then said they'd stay on it, told me to track license plates,etc. I did that but now he's stopped returning my calls for the past month.

HOA sent out a letter demanding everyone on our row get inspected and treated if necessary, requiring owners to fill out a form. Told them I'm happy to treat but want to know when they're getting treated so I don't waste another couple grand. They've been threatened with fines, etc but will not even respond to the HOA. They're looking into further legal options.

I treat with Zemprox every 2 weeks and Sterifab on the weeks I don't use that. I've dusted every crack and crevice with Diatomaceous Earth at least monthly and the bedroom more frequently. I still see them occasionally. This is bell.

Posted by: Mille Kentk ()
Date: November 08, 2021 09:50AM

Until the bug bites, it is very difficult to find out that the apartment is inhabited by extremely unwanted neighbors. While we sleep, they get out of hiding places, go in search of food, that is, closer to people, reproduce and generally consider themselves full-fledged masters of the house. I discovered them by accident and the bed bug spray helped me. The presence of parasites in the apartment is indicated by dots of a dark, brown shade, drops of blood on the bed linen.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.