HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax County School Buses....
Posted by: taxpayer2 ()
Date: August 14, 2013 03:45PM

This may be a dumb question---which is why I came to the Underground with it! ;)

So seriously...why do I still see Ffx Co. School Buses riding around? I though summer school was over 2 weeks ago and the next year doesn't start until Sept. 4th?

Who are they carting around wasting my gas, bus maintenance, and driver salary money I pay with my taxes? Is there some year-round school I don't know about?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax County School Buses....
Posted by: taxpayer2 ()
Date: August 14, 2013 03:46PM

Forgot to add- it was NOT driver training, these drivers were by themselves on the bus! And I have seen both the short handicapped bus and the longer ones....

Posted by: XXX ()
Date: August 14, 2013 03:48PM

Who Cares.. Mind your bussiness. The children need educated. That's all you need to know.

Posted by: a light insight ()
Date: August 14, 2013 04:29PM

Many new drivers - which they hire a few hundred each school year - are in "training" right now. Better to drive around with an empty bus and get used to the route and traffic patterns BEFORE the kids get on the vehicle.

Also, there are summer programs and schools using the buses as well. :)

Posted by: My NameĀ  ()
Date: August 14, 2013 04:33PM

Many school related activies still going on all through summer (math camps, band camps, EOSL camps, etc). Most of these activities have some spoke and wheel bus service. Nothing to worry about. Go back to sleep.

Posted by: Tax Payer ()
Date: August 14, 2013 06:12PM

My NameĀ  Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Many school related activies still going on all
> through summer (math camps, band camps, EOSL
> camps, etc). Most of these activities have some
> spoke and wheel bus service. Nothing to worry
> about. Go back to sleep.

Band camp students stayed in schoool.. I was following a school bus today, to see where they where going and I find out they went back to the depot place in West OX Road. Maybe he noticed I was a following him so he went back to his place. MATH Camps? Why math camps ? Can their mom and dad drop them off at school for that? Why so many school buses for that? Football doesn't start till 3 weeks

Posted by: Sleuth ()
Date: August 14, 2013 06:21PM

Tax Payer you are a regular Dick Tracy....get a life.....I am sure he noticed you and went back. Look out everyone the school bus police is on the prowl.

Posted by: bds ()
Date: August 14, 2013 07:27PM

Tax Payer Wrote:
> Band camp students stayed in schoool.. I was
> following a school bus today, to see where they
> where going and I find out they went back to the
> depot place in West OX Road. Maybe he noticed I
> was a following him so he went back to his place.
> MATH Camps? Why math camps ? Can their mom and
> dad drop them off at school for that? Why so many
> school buses for that? Football doesn't start
> till 3 weeks

If by "depot place" you mean the West Ox garage, yeah, you will see school buses going in and out of there year round. State law mandates that school buses be serviced on a set schedule, even in the summer. Mechanics also road test buses from 5:00 am to 10:00 pm.

Besides what was mentioned, school buses are involved in summer rec for the Parks Dept. Many, many buses are on the road for that, every day, all summer. Field trips run too, sometimes 7 days a week. FCPS actually makes money on some that stuff.

Also let me assure you that NOBODY would joyride in a school bus. They are VERY unpleasant to drive. Decrepit, hot, filthy, and smelly vehicles, many of which struggle just to reach the speed limit.

Posted by: lbss82bruin ()
Date: August 14, 2013 08:25PM

There are some schools (just a handful) that are year round and are on a separate schedule than the rest of the county.

Posted by: Fairfax Boy ()
Date: August 14, 2013 08:54PM

taxpayer2 Wrote:
> Forgot to add- it was NOT driver training, these
> drivers were by themselves on the bus! And I have
> seen both the short handicapped bus and the longer
> ones....

Picking people up and dropping people off at the Lamb Center requires a bus sometimes. How else are you going to transport 15 to 20 people to get their foodstamps, free medical, or a picnic field trip.

Posted by: insider ()
Date: August 14, 2013 08:58PM

Most of the female bus drivers are out looking for married men.Then between bus runs they go meet the men. I know this for a fact so married women beware of those bus drivers.

Posted by: ???/ ()
Date: August 15, 2013 10:41AM

WOW, have you seen some of these bus driver????? Not the first thing I'd think of...maybe FCPS has a prostitutionring running? tha would make as much sense

Posted by: btdt ()
Date: August 15, 2013 02:45PM

Among the activities that are happening right now that require a bus:
Safety patrol training;
"Field Trips" - the summer rec program that the county runs "hires" buses from the school system to take the kids to various parks and activities;
special needs students are in programs all year long;
sports/music/arts/theater programs;
bus maintenance - buses are picked up at remote parking locations and brought in for scheduled service.

I'm sure there are other reasons as well

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.