HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Registering in FCPS
Posted by: Outside In ()
Date: August 09, 2013 08:56PM

So, if you want your kids to attend FCPS rather than an outer county for high school, how much is tuition? If your kid wants to play sports, by when do they need to register?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Registering in FCPS
Posted by: Tray von Martin ()
Date: August 09, 2013 09:07PM

All you need is a carta matriculata and just show up on the 3rd. It's all good.

Posted by: rates ()
Date: August 09, 2013 09:53PM

Posted by: parent7 ()
Date: August 09, 2013 10:33PM

Do the schools really care if a kid is outside Fairfax? How much checking do they really do?

Posted by: Back when ()
Date: August 09, 2013 10:51PM

Years ago I knew some elementary kids who were moved from one FCPS school to another because they were out boundary at the first.

Posted by: Lotie9 ()
Date: August 10, 2013 09:41AM

My son told me a kid at his school was asked to leave in his senior year because he lived in Maryland. So I think they do something about it if the school knows for sure that a kid lives in another state or county.

Posted by: infoo ()
Date: August 10, 2013 06:08PM

I just moved to rte 1 area and they will not let me enroll my kid till I have bills in my name and lease. We stay with my sister some time then go back to my place some of the time. I do not know what the big deal is. I want my kid to go to Fairfax county school not mayrland. I would let him spend the night if I don't stay. The lady that I talk to at the school keeps telling me I need all these things in my name. I keep telling her it is my sisters place my name is on the things at my house. but my sister is my family so that means we live here. sports have started and I need to get my kid in school. tell me what to do.

Posted by: Teacher/coach ()
Date: August 10, 2013 07:07PM

Unless it is your legal residence or your sister has custody you can't enroll your kid. If he is a good football player I am sure you could take him to lake Braddock and they would figure out a way to get around this rule.

Posted by: Taxes ()
Date: August 10, 2013 07:39PM

If you want your kids in Fairfax the move here and pay taxes to support it. None of this .... my sister is family shit.

Posted by: infoo ()
Date: August 10, 2013 07:44PM

The lady will not even schedule an appointment unless I have leases and bills. Tried to tell her I live with my sister at times so that should be enough for my son to go to school there. nothing is in my name so I don't have lease or deed.my bills do not go to her house. the school where my nephew goes to is better than mine. so I live with my sister.

Posted by: Hose B ()
Date: August 10, 2013 08:21PM

Stupid Gringos. We Spics just get a utility bill from someone we know in Fairfax and present that at the school and say that's the father. Viva la America!

Posted by: One More ()
Date: August 11, 2013 10:02PM

And if it has to do with placing a child in Fairfax county for a sport that's not offered in another county, does that make a difference?

Posted by: Sadly Tru Story ()
Date: August 12, 2013 12:24AM

Asian guy was applying for a loan in my bank. He lived in Rockville. Said so right on his loan application and his driver license. I asked why he was applying at my location in Virginia. He said he had just dropped his daughter off at TJHSST for school that morning.

Posted by: kindful ()
Date: August 12, 2013 06:27PM

Posted by: Taxpayer7 ()
Date: August 13, 2013 05:04AM

How many kids outside Fairfax county do y think go to Fairfax county schools?

Posted by: Longtimeteacher ()
Date: August 13, 2013 10:25AM

You would need to get your sister to lease you a room and have a copy of the lease to show the school. This is not really okay because you are not a taxpayer. If you really want to have your kids go to a Fairfax County school you need to move here or give your sister custody. I don't know where you live in Maryland, but the schools here are better than a lot in Maryland and your kids will be better off. You could try talking to the Fairfax school's social worker. If you are considered homeless there is a program for this.

Posted by: Commuter ()
Date: August 13, 2013 12:28PM

Your legal residence is where you file your tax return. So either move to Fairfax and pay your taxes or keep your kids in Maryland.

Posted by: katiesmith ()
Date: August 13, 2013 03:33PM

Seriously? why?

Outside In Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, if you want your kids to attend FCPS rather
> than an outer county for high school, how much is
> tuition? If your kid wants to play sports, by when
> do they need to register?

Posted by: Kim ()
Date: August 30, 2013 10:19AM

We currently rent in Fairfax and our son will start 6th grade. We were here for his 5th grade too. We are looking to buy and will buy within the boundary of his next school (South County).

My question is if we buy outside of his current elementary school boundary what is the likelihood they would find out or make him transfer after the school year begins?

Posted by: Not official ()
Date: September 07, 2013 10:28PM

Kim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We currently rent in Fairfax and our son will
> start 6th grade. We were here for his 5th grade
> too. We are looking to buy and will buy within the
> boundary of his next school (South County).
>
> My question is if we buy outside of his current
> elementary school boundary what is the likelihood
> they would find out or make him transfer after the
> school year begins?

I doubt they would make him transfer. I've known of several kids who were allowed to complete their year(s) at their original elementary school after moving. Do you trust your local school officials enough just to ask them? In my experience, educators are usually very nice people who care about kids and don't want them to experience traumatic transitions any more than you do!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.