HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Dickie's BBQ
Posted by: Dickie ()
Date: August 06, 2013 11:28AM

Dickie's BBQ finally opened in Fairfax City, in front of the WalMart in the space once occupied by Blimpie, Strawhat pizza, z pizza and who knows what else. Perhaps this one lasts. Anyone been?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dickie's BBQ
Posted by: HelloKitty ()
Date: August 06, 2013 11:42AM

Yes, been twice. Both times they were very unprepared for the number of people flocking in (only a few employees working & quantity of food). They ran out of various side items and the line was very long. Because they weren't prepared and had few employees, nobody was cleaning the tables, etc.

With that being said, the food was pretty tasty. I suppose it will just take them some time to get up to speed. Hopefully it's sooner than later - or other may not give it a second or third chance.

Posted by: R_in_FFX ()
Date: August 06, 2013 11:52AM

Seems like you can tell which chains are better experienced. Look at a place like Jimmy Johns, Potbellys or Chipotle .. they seem to have a good pulse on how many people they need to handle a crowd.

Posted by: Happy with Dickies ()
Date: August 06, 2013 01:48PM

I'm not surprised they were packed. The BBQ was really good when we tried it. The sausage and brisket were actually better though.
I'm going to say something shocking: Dickies waffle fries are better than Chik-Fil-A

Anyways, it's not a huge place and the staff might small because it's new. I'm sure that problem will get ironed out.
I'd recommend it.

Posted by: Fool Me Twice ()
Date: August 06, 2013 05:08PM

Been there twice and both times there were long lines. When I finally got to the counter they were out of some meats (ribs) and out of many sides. The first time I was there I gave them a pass since they'd only been only a few days and were ironing out their kinks. The 2nd time I was there (well over a week later) and it's as if nothing changed or improved.

They are definitely understaffed and appeared untrained. The seating area is a mess. The condiment area is a wreck. Their BBQ sauces are tasty. Their free ice cream cones are weak. Jason's Deli kicks their ass all over the place in the free ice cream department.

What food you end up getting is good. It's just the luck of the draw if they have the sides and/or meats available when you order. If you do end up going there I'd recommend ordering ahead to avoid the line. That being said you'll still likely stand at the register for 15 minutes while the untrained cashier tallys up your order. I can't recommend a time to order because it seems as though they run out of food(s) frequently or continuously. So good luck!

Posted by: FusilliJerry ()
Date: August 06, 2013 09:35PM

There was once out in Las Cruces when I was out there in January, but it was always closed. Looks like it closed for good. Didn't really find another BBQ place out there while I was there.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: August 06, 2013 10:42PM

Went at 12 noon at they were out of fries and macaroni and cheese! They had been open an hour and were already out of such staples!

Posted by: Ye Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: August 06, 2013 11:57PM

Bring me some Jack in the Box tacos! No bogus oven smoked meats!

Hey Jack! Come on Back... Damnit.....Then you all will see a line forming up..

Posted by: TheirRibsSuck ()
Date: August 07, 2013 09:47AM

I had the worst ribs in my life from Dickey's. They were made of leather and BBQ sauce. My stomach told me it was full after like 3 because they were so gross and my body did not want anymore.

Their side order problem is legitimate too. Every time I have been there they are out of sides other than beans. I asked the guy when they would get control of their inventory issues. He told me "we got a lot of traffic starting around 11." Yes, this might be true, but you don't close until 7. Get it together.

Posted by: nuttyturnip ()
Date: August 07, 2013 11:45AM

Funny, when I went they were out of beans. They screwed up my order twice, and even though it wasn't crowded, the wait was long because they all seemed to be standing around unsure of what to do. The food was good, but it's disappointing to hear that they're still having problems with service and inventory.

Posted by: Fairfax ()
Date: August 24, 2013 11:11PM

The food sucks. The service sucks. The prices sucks. The place is full of bugs and hires ex-cons. Stay away.

Posted by: kevin zust drug dealer ()
Date: August 25, 2013 10:43PM

employee kevin zust sells narcotics to his employees

Posted by: Poopy Shoes Jones ()
Date: August 26, 2013 06:54AM

I went there and that kevin zust fellow pooped in my shoes! I shall never return to that horrible establishment! (plus they were out of cole slaw)

Posted by: The Good The Bad and The Ugly ()
Date: August 26, 2013 07:07AM

The Good:

Kids eat free Sunday

The Bad:

Ribs were salty, dry and rubbery. The McRib is much better.
Even Burger King has better BBQ.
There were bugs and flies all over.
Trash had not been emptied.
Tables were not clean.
No napkins.

The Ugly:

Employees sweating all over

Posted by: no lie ()
Date: August 26, 2013 09:42AM

I was in there on Sunday afternoon and while standing at the counter waiting for the cashier to ring me up, the apparent lead cooker opened the smoker and announced "OH SHIT" and then motioned for his sweaty co-worker to come take a look at whatever it was that had apparently surprised him. Didn't instill a high level of confidence in me that anyone in there really knew what the hell they were doing.

Posted by: pulled brisket ()
Date: August 26, 2013 11:58AM

got the pulled pork and the brisket..they tasted and looked exactly the same..thats not right..in no way should a pig taste like a cow

Posted by: honestly ()
Date: August 26, 2013 12:04PM

it's just a bunch of high school or slightly older kids in there trying to run things. no one has a clue how to cook bbq. they won't last a year.

Posted by: Enrico Palazzo ()
Date: August 26, 2013 12:31PM

R_in_FFX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Seems like you can tell which chains are better
> experienced. Look at a place like Jimmy Johns,
> Potbellys or Chipotle .. they seem to have a good
> pulse on how many people they need to handle a
> crowd.

Hmmm...didn't someone just state 30 minute wait time at Chipotle recently? It seems they always have a major bottleneck at the cash register.

Posted by: maggots ()
Date: August 26, 2013 02:17PM

there is a lot of flies. but mostly because flies are attracted to shit and those of have eaten here know what the food states like.

Posted by: Barbquan ()
Date: August 26, 2013 05:43PM

DIXIE BONES is the place to go.

Posted by: Barbquan ()
Date: August 26, 2013 05:43PM

DIXIE BONES is the place to go.

Posted by: matttttttt ()
Date: August 27, 2013 04:45PM

errrrrmeeehhhgerrrrdd

Posted by: old meat ()
Date: August 29, 2013 04:18PM

they dont throw out the old meat at night. i heard them tell a kid to just reheat it for tomrrow.

Posted by: I'll Admit ()
Date: August 29, 2013 07:29PM

I'll admit it, I will NOT be eating there. They claim that they can smoke the meat on the premises. That seems like a farce. What are they using? Table-top smokers back in the kitchen? Real BBQ needs to be cooked slowly in a nice, seasoned smoke tank on a trailer. Not inside the restaurant itself.

As to the food remaining in the cooler overnight, then being reheated the next morning, I'm really not surprised at all. I believe this franchise is owned by a Vietnamese person. Of course, the food is all going to be saved for the next day. Tonight's rib meat will be stirred into tomorrow's pulled pork.

Not for me!

Posted by: ah shit lol ()
Date: August 29, 2013 11:45PM

I'll Admit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tonight's rib meat will be stirred into tomorrow's
> pulled pork.

fucking gross lol

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.