HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Rec Gyms
Posted by: Crazed ()
Date: July 23, 2013 08:07AM

My son is a rising sophmore and wants to play basketball indoors. He is too young to drive. Does anyone know of any gyms in the Burke area? Rec centers or anything of that nature.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rec Gyms
Posted by: Dooly ()
Date: July 23, 2013 09:46AM

There used to be a cheap fitness center there in Burke near the railroad.

Posted by: Here Ya Go ()
Date: July 23, 2013 01:38PM

^ That's Olympus Gym. Decent facilities and dirt cheap.

Posted by: 933127 ()
Date: July 23, 2013 01:44PM

Audrey Moore Rec comes to mind. If thats too far to walk, then its going to have to be outdoors.

Posted by: Baller ()
Date: July 23, 2013 02:05PM

933127 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Audrey Moore Rec comes to mind. If thats too far
> to walk, then its going to have to be outdoors.

I haven't been over there in awhile but, I grew up in Kings Park. Once you crossed Braddock at Kings Park Drive, there used to be a trail that ran all the way down the side of Braddock Road to Audrey Moore Rec Center. So, even if you're in Burke, he should be able to safely ride a bike (remember those?) over to Audrey Moore.

Also, I know SouthRun Rec has outdoor basketball courts but, does anyone know if they have indoor hoops, too? (Sorry, too fucking lazy to Google...)

Also, some of the local highschools (Lake Braddock and Robinson) used to open up their indoor gyms for drop-in basketball on the weekends but again...I'm not sure if that's still going on...

Posted by: Crazed ()
Date: July 23, 2013 03:08PM

We are down by Target. He has tried Robinson but not much luck. Very hit or miss there. Bikes on braddock, have you read the post on here about drivers and bikes. Too many asshole drivers for me to let him take a bike braddock.

Posted by: Baller ()
Date: July 23, 2013 05:45PM

For fuck's sakes...have you been over to see the trail that parallels Braddock? It's set back from the road and there's a line of trees between the road and the trail. I road that trail twice a week from the time I was 12 until I left for college at 18 and I never had any problems. I have 2 kids myself and once they are of age, if I still lived over there, I'd have no concerns about sending them down there once I travelled it with them a few times to insure their competence. Stop being a helicopter parent, get your kid a decent bike, helmet, water bottle or Camelbak, lights, spare tubes, tools and some fucking know-how to care for their bike, a cell phone in case they get run over or groped by a kid toucher and let them loose to explore the world. It's not backpacking in Europe...it's a crosstown bike ride. Christ...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.