HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
12 year old being charged with a crime for making a mistake
Posted by: fxmum ()
Date: July 16, 2013 02:25PM

Hello All,

I told myself I was not going to speak on this because I am a true believer in Christ and I know he works out everything for good of those that love him but this month I will have to join my daughter in Juvenile court for accidently injuring a classmate with an iron in home economic. She has no history of violence, received a 5 day suspension and returned to school with no issue. At the time of the incident everyone knows it was an accident but my baby girl is being charged with felony malicious wounding. Her classmates arm healed and he was in class the very next day. I'm not sure how to feel about this. Our paid attorney says it'll all wash but what happened to the days of mediation where parents and families worked out incidents like this on our own? What are we teaching our children. I would have loved to have the opportunity to sit down and talk to the parents even pay medical costs but a felony for a 12 year old. Hurt and confused. We're getting through this one way another but I am floored...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12 year old being charged with a crime for making a mistake
Posted by: Accidental? ()
Date: July 16, 2013 03:16PM

Explain "accidental". Did she drop the iron? Place it too close to the classmates arm?

I'm guessing, because of the fact that you call your daughter "baby girl" (at 12, no less), that she did it intentionally and that you just cannot believe that your precious snow-flake would behave in this manner. Believe me, I see it every day.

No one wants to take responsiblity for their own actions anymore, so I certainly would not expect you to be able to take responsibility for the soon-to-be monster that you have created.

Stop calling your daughter "baby girl", and tell her that the world does not revolve around her, and that people should face the consequences of their actions. There might still be hope that she won't grow up to be an entitled little bitch-queen.

Posted by: Highlander ()
Date: July 16, 2013 03:23PM

If everyone knows its an accident, why were the police called?

Posted by: witnesses? ()
Date: July 16, 2013 03:53PM

There should have been other kids nearby who should clarify whether there was malice or if it was in fact an accident.

Posted by: VA code ()
Date: July 16, 2013 03:57PM

Things get far more serious when the Commonwealth's Attorney decides that the facts of a physical altercation rise above a simple assault and battery, and they elect to charge an individual with malicious wounding under 18.2-51. Malicious wounding is different from assault in several ways (beyond the staggering difference in potential punishments). Malicious wounding is not a common law offense, so its elements are described in the statue itself. The code requires that a defendant "shoot, stab, cut, or wound" or by any means cause "bodily injury" to another person "maliciously" and "with the intent to maim, disfigure, disable, or kill" to be convicted of this offense. For purposes of this statute, bodily injury can be inflicted simply by striking with fists or other body parts, in other words, a weapon need not be used. If the defendant engages in this conduct but without "malice", then he is guilty of unlawful wounding (a Class 6 felony), instead of malicious wounding. Malice is a complicated concept, but it is largely centered around that conduct which is calculated and deliberate, with minimal provocation.

Posted by: Broken Logic ()
Date: July 16, 2013 03:59PM

Lesson #1 - This is more than an accident, otherwise your daughter wouldn't have been charged with felony malicious wounding.

§ 18.2-51. Shooting, stabbing, etc., with intent to maim, kill, etc.
If any person maliciously shoot, stab, cut, or wound any person or by any means cause him bodily injury, with the intent to maim, disfigure, disable, or kill, he shall, except where it is otherwise provided, be guilty of a Class 3 felony. If such act be done unlawfully but not maliciously, with the intent aforesaid, the offender shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.
(Code 1950, § 18.1-65; 1960, c. 358; 1975, cc. 14, 15.)

Lesson #2 - This is more than just a "Wash". Your lawyer should have advised you to get witnesses that were there in class to testify on your daughter's behalf. Getting the teacher to testify on her behalf would be a good start.

Lesson #3 - This is the hardest lesson of all. These aren't the "good old days" anymore. The days of resolving issues yourself or with the other parents is almost gone. You might be able to reach out to them to arrange to talk over what happened. Perhaps offer some restitution in exchange for having the charges dropped. This entire incident is complicated by the fact that it happened on school grounds during school hours.

Posted by: another mum ()
Date: July 16, 2013 05:06PM

Maybe your not so baby girl shouldn't have hit another student with an iron causing medical bills. No big deal, she was probably going to end up in the system sooner or later, she choose sooner.

Posted by: great movie ()
Date: July 16, 2013 05:11PM

there is a great movie made about your daughter.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048977/

Posted by: Hoosier Daddy ()
Date: July 16, 2013 05:25PM

The best thing you can do is forget about "Christ" because God simply does not exist.

Are you a Negro, or a simple-minded white woman? This question is important.

Posted by: Twist the Knife ()
Date: July 16, 2013 05:27PM

Go and turn in a couple of your neighbors for violations. Make sure Sharon Bulova and Ed Long know you've done it-maybe take a video of your neighbors being evicted.

Then, they will make amends on your daughter.

Posted by: PE teacher ()
Date: July 16, 2013 05:59PM

PICTURES

Posted by: Look Deeper ()
Date: July 16, 2013 06:33PM

Define "healed". I know that when I've been burned in the past - even not that badly - I've gotten a visible scar that does not go away. I can see how the parents would be very upset that their son could be scarred for life.

If "everyone knew that it was an accident", why did the school suspend her? As Judge Judy says, "How do you know when a teenager is lying? If they're lips are moving".

Posted by: My Two Cents ()
Date: July 16, 2013 06:53PM

fxmum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello All,
>
> I told myself I was not going to speak on this
> because I am a true believer in Christ and I know
> he works out everything for good of those that
> love him but this month I will have to join my
> daughter in Juvenile court for accidently injuring
> a classmate with an iron in home economic. She has
> no history of violence, received a 5 day
> suspension and returned to school with no issue.
> At the time of the incident everyone knows it was
> an accident but my baby girl is being charged with
> felony malicious wounding. Her classmates arm
> healed and he was in class the very next day. I'm
> not sure how to feel about this. Our paid attorney
> says it'll all wash but what happened to the days
> of mediation where parents and families worked out
> incidents like this on our own? What are we
> teaching our children. I would have loved to have
> the opportunity to sit down and talk to the
> parents even pay medical costs but a felony for a
> 12 year old. Hurt and confused. We're getting
> through this one way another but I am floored...

5 day suspension for an accident?

I don't think the word "everyone" means what you think.

Best she face some serious trouble now before the excuse-making that you provide - and failure to teach her self-restraint - get her killed for attacking the neighborhood watch.

Posted by: who cares ()
Date: July 16, 2013 07:14PM

gotta call bullshit on this one. if your daughter "accidently" injured another kid, there would be no charges. with that said, there was some intent because she was charged. sounds like your "baby girl" isnt telling you the entire story, and theres more to it than you know about. normally a 12 year old is not charged with crimes in va, so it must have been more serious and not accidental like you want people to believe. good luck with it in court, maybe the truth will actually come out and then you will realize there was more than your "baby girl" was telling you.

Posted by: MyFace ()
Date: July 16, 2013 07:40PM

You call this an accident? Your child is Nuts!
Attachments:
iron_burn_by_kaitlyn_s-d58xry4.jpg

Posted by: alex m ()
Date: July 16, 2013 07:51PM

The iron burn in the picture is just special effects not real.
http://kaitlyn-s.deviantart.com/art/Iron-burn-317343676

Posted by: another mum ()
Date: July 16, 2013 11:29PM

Hey OP,

Maybe you should pay more attention to that delinquent daughter and she wouldn't have beat another student with an iron. Good luck in court; I hope they throw the book at her.

Posted by: facepalm ()
Date: July 17, 2013 12:25AM

A 5 day suspension for an accident? Sounds a little harsh based on what you've posted here. Which would make a person think you've left a few details out....

Posted by: The Lord ()
Date: July 17, 2013 06:42AM

fxmum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello All,
>
> I told myself I was not going to speak on this
> because I am a true believer in Christ and I know
> he works out everything for good of those that
> love him but this month I will have to join my
> daughter in Juvenile court for accidently injuring
> a classmate with an iron in home economic. She has
> no history of violence, received a 5 day
> suspension and returned to school with no issue.
> At the time of the incident everyone knows it was
> an accident but my baby girl is being charged with
> felony malicious wounding. Her classmates arm
> healed and he was in class the very next day. I'm
> not sure how to feel about this. Our paid attorney
> says it'll all wash but what happened to the days
> of mediation where parents and families worked out
> incidents like this on our own? What are we
> teaching our children. I would have loved to have
> the opportunity to sit down and talk to the
> parents even pay medical costs but a felony for a
> 12 year old. Hurt and confused. We're getting
> through this one way another but I am floored...
Attachments:
Jesus facepalm.jpg

Posted by: If it were my kid... ()
Date: July 17, 2013 06:49AM

...who was hit by your "baby girl" with the iron, you'd have bigger problems than just a felony charge. You wouldn't be able to pay off the suit award to me and my kid in just 6 years, after yours turned 18 and got the charge expunged.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.