HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
rain this year
Posted by: aquaman ()
Date: June 04, 2009 08:12PM

Anyone know where we're at with rainfall this year? Surely we're out of the drought (after last year) at this point

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rain this year
Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: June 04, 2009 08:23PM

I remember it rained like fuck last year too. I think the year before was a drought?

Posted by: ThePackLeader ()
Date: June 05, 2009 01:01AM

I found it quite laughable that in March they claimed we were under a drought, yet in that one big Snowfall alone (At the beginning of the Month), we received our entire Winter's Average for Precipitation. Average Precip. obviously does not equal a Drought, but regardless, we are most certainly out of it by now. As a matter of fact, we are approximately 4-8 Inches above "Normal" in terms of Annual Precipitation at this point (06-05-2009).

To place the aforementioned into a somewhat relevant yet more dramatic perspective, that additional 4-8 Inches of Precipitation would in Cold conditions, equal an additional 40-80 Inches of Snow, or rather, an additional 3.5 to 6.5+ Feet of Snow (Our entire Winter's Average is around 12 Inches (i.e., One Foot) ). So you can definitely consider that amount above Average to be somewhat considerate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2009 01:07AM by ThePackLeader.

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: June 05, 2009 01:21AM

\

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 01:21PM by Alias.

Posted by: shuckinchuck ()
Date: June 05, 2009 08:35AM

April showers bring May showers.

Posted by: MuckinFuch ()
Date: June 05, 2009 08:53AM

shuckinchuck Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> April showers bring May showers.
Attachments:
phpr6h3FP.jpg

Posted by: Shadow ()
Date: June 05, 2009 11:18AM

I don't know, but clearly there is more to come:

The NWS has issued a flood warning for the National Capitol Region until 3:45 p.m today. This is in particular to urban areas and small streams. Specific areas for Fairfax County include Accotink Creek, Popes Head Creek, and Sugarland Run. The effects of this precipitation could affect the Potomac River area by late tonight into early tomorrow morning. Radar indicates an area of moderate to heavy rain will move across portions of the Washington DC Metro area within the next 1-2 hours. The rain is moving northeast at 20 mph. Doppler radar and area rain gages indicates that between 1-2 inches has fallen over the warned area, with another 1/2 inch to 1 inch expected by 3:45 this afternoon.
A flood warning means that flooding is imminent or has been reported. Stream rises will be slow and flash flooding is not expected. All interested parties should take necessary precautions immediately. Excessive runoff from heavy rainfall will cause elevated levels on small creeks and streams, ponding of water in small areas, highways, streets and underpasses as well as other poor drainage areas and low lying spots. Do not drive your vehicles into areas where the water covers the roadway. The water depth may be too great to allow your car to cross safely. Move to higher ground.

06/05/09 11:04 Flooding now being reported in some areas! Sligo Creek and Northwest Branch at risk.

The National Weather Service has issued a FLOOD WARNING for Montgomery County until 3:45PM. At 10:07AM, Doppler radar indicated very heavy rainfall approaching the county. Radar estimates indicate over 2" has already fallen with several more inches of rainfall possible today.

A FLOOD WARNING is issued when flooding has been reported or is imminent. Residents should expect extremely heavy rain that will flood low lying areas, and streets with slow drainage. Do not cross flooded roads. Flooded areas may be harder to identify at night. Use caution while driving.

SKYWARN spotters are requested to relay all flood reports to the Montgomery County Office of Emergency Management and the NWS office in Sterling.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: June 05, 2009 11:22AM

Yayh, Skywarn.

Good to see the dorks on 2 meters will have something to do with their useless repeaters....

Posted by: Les ()
Date: June 05, 2009 12:09PM

There are stories of pleasure, there are stories of pain
But the gods torment me with slabs of rain
It started on a Thursday and went double fortnight
And Junior read Stern by the pilot light
He ate more cheese than time allowed
So we stood him up sharp, we stood him up proud
And they looked at him funny, but they looked at him twice
Undressing with the eyeballs, verbal lashing him with spice
I speak the truth, I tell no lies
Been masturbatin' since the Fourth of July
Spill the beans, spill 'em all
The precipitation filled Spring from Fall
He didn't like faxes, he didn't like phones
When he stoof among many, he stood alone
He loved his sausage, but shied from greens
Used to spin his little sister in the washin' machine

Posted by: Up2Late ()
Date: June 05, 2009 12:34PM

...I don't grow crops, fuck if there's a drought or not...I've been trying to seal my deck for three weeks and it keeps raining!

Posted by: britdrnva ()
Date: June 05, 2009 12:55PM

We are out of the drought. IAD has several inches > than normal for the year, DCA is just slightly above average as of Monday.

In late March I was kayaking on the Potomac and was thinking we're going to get nailed by drought bec it really hadn't precipitated that much. The river is normally at or near bank-full around that time of the year. This year it was at mid-summer levels. Well it has been exceedingly wet now since mid-April and we've more than made up for rainfall deficits.

Though the last four years I've noticed a trend here - it starts off very wet late April-May then virtually no rain til Sept (remnants of hurricanes).

This year our rainy season seems to just keep going.

We are the new Bangladesh.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: June 05, 2009 01:02PM

Don't worry about it. I think it was 2006 where it rained for close to 30 or 35 straight days in May/June. Made the immigrants from Seattle even hate the rain.

Of course, just wait until the next tropical storm rumbles through. Fucking Hanna dumped close to 9 inches of rain on our house in 18 hours and flooded our basement.

Posted by: Warhawk ()
Date: June 05, 2009 01:06PM

All I know is that I'm not partaking in any water restriction mandates later this year. I'll water my lawn and garden 24/7!!!

Posted by: formerhick76 ()
Date: June 05, 2009 01:34PM

Alias Wrote:
> If global warming doesn't kill you, Obama will
> make sure that it does.

Chronic anger is rarely good for you. I thought conservatives were supposed to be happier than liberals?

Posted by: ยง ()
Date: June 05, 2009 06:15PM

Attachments:
Weatherboats.JPG

Posted by: fairfaxdude ()
Date: June 07, 2009 11:30PM

formerhick76 Wrote:
> Alias Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > If global warming doesn't kill you, Obama will
> > make sure that it does.
>
> Chronic anger is rarely good for you. I thought
> conservatives were supposed to be happier than
> liberals?

LOL +1...I too thought that to be a fucking ridiculous statement!

Posted by: Alias ()
Date: June 08, 2009 01:47AM

]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/29/2012 01:10PM by Alias.

Posted by: Jester ()
Date: June 09, 2009 05:18PM

More rain please

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.