HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
good sleep doc/therapist in NOVA
Posted by: junejune ()
Date: July 10, 2013 08:43AM

I'm starting to experience sleep distrubances...can't falls sleep until 2 or 3 AM, ok the next day, etc. I wanted to know others who have experienced this and if seeing a sleep doctor or therapist helped you. Please share the name of the doc or therapist. thanks for all replies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: good sleep doc/therapist in NOVA
Posted by: insomniac ()
Date: July 10, 2013 09:12AM

well, first thing - have you had any changes in your life? like diet, stress, work, kids, anything that has messed with your moods? made you depressed, anxious etc?

have you googled any home remides first? like warm milk, a warm bath before bed, changing your routine? also, have you tried OTC sleep aids? its best to try that before seeing a doctor. but to answer your question:

www.novasleepcenter.com

i have had insomnia for over 12 years. took OTC meds, tried tea, yoga, bath, etc, but nothing has worked. i used to take prescription meds but recently have gotten a new job which leaves me exhausted nightly so i am able to fall asleep now. although i do end up waking up very early and having trouble falling back asleep, it's just nice not to be up all night.

anyway, ask yourself those questions i asked..see if anything in your life has changed..and agood luck to you

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 10, 2013 09:25AM

_White_288.jpg

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2015 08:20AM by WingNut.

Date: July 10, 2013 09:48AM

No..no...I don't smoke, drink, or take drugs (even rx meds)..nothing. The other poster indicated exercise and the need for physical activity, which Im guilty of not doing, other than routine yard work, etc.

AND..I don't want to take drugs even OTC meds. Trying to find if there are natural remedies that have worked for others or if a sleep therapist/doc helps any - without the use of drugs.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: July 10, 2013 09:55AM

_White_288.jpg

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2015 08:20AM by WingNut.

Posted by: sadfasdfsadf ()
Date: July 10, 2013 09:57AM

junejune Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm starting to experience sleep
> distrubances...can't falls sleep until 2 or 3 AM,
> ok the next day, etc. I wanted to know others
> who have experienced this and if seeing a sleep
> doctor or therapist helped you. Please share the
> name of the doc or therapist. thanks for all
> replies.

What an interesting coincidence, I have to. When I am able to sleep I usually have bad dreams. I've found that drinking 100% grape juice helps me to sleep better.

Date: July 10, 2013 10:04AM

Not getting regular exercise other than work around the yard, gardening, etc. Im in good shape..not overweight by any means. Diet is good...no meat, primarily vegetarian. Last physical was good...CBC numbers are excellent. It was suggested to me to take multi vitamin. I appreciate you help...

Date: July 10, 2013 10:06AM

junejune Wrote:
> Not getting regular exercise other than work
> around the yard, gardening, etc. Im in good
> shape..not overweight by any means. Diet is
> good...no meat, primarily vegetarian. Last
> physical was good...CBC numbers are excellent.
> It was suggested to me to take multi vitamin. I
> appreciate you help...

I get plenty of exercise and I take muli-vitamins, nothing seems to help me other than 100% Grapejuice. Also curiously, I notice I wake up to my mouth being very dry. Nothing has changed in my household, but yet I wake up sometimes with my mouth and throat so dry that I am choking.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: July 10, 2013 10:12AM

I have no problems falling alseep at about 2-2:30 every afternoon.

Posted by: some guy ()
Date: July 10, 2013 11:25AM

Skip the multivitamin. Try a tablespoon of good fish oil with a glass of carrot juice. Do this after dinner for a month, see how it feels. Worst case, you'd have wasted, what, $50?

Go for a walk to close out the day, maybe 20-30mins. Nothing strenuous, slow pace.

If you don't mind drinking milk, a glass of warm milk with a bit of honey before going to bed would help, too.

Posted by: insomniac ()
Date: July 10, 2013 02:02PM

well thats good you dont want to take OTC or script meds. they really make the problem worse in the long run.

you should try going for a walk as suggested earlier, also if you want natural, try the tea, chamomile, maybe meletonin

Posted by: Nicdoot ()
Date: July 10, 2013 02:14PM

I agree you need to be tired so exercise will help. Also try to get on a regular schedule. Try taking 3 mg tablet of melatonin an hour or so before bed. All natural and helps you relax. Don't take every night as your body gets used to it and then it isn't as effective. Good luck

Date: July 10, 2013 02:20PM

Thansk to all responding and sharing your experience....much appreciated.

A question about Velarin and Melatonin....how effective has it been for you and safe to use for the long term? Addictive? Currently struggling with lifestyles changes but may have to resort to velarin or melatonin.

Also, can any other deficiencies (thyroid, b12, etc) cause this? Other than the standard CBC, what other test should I request my PCP to perform?

Posted by: Liberal Logic 76 ()
Date: July 10, 2013 02:21PM

junejune Wrote:

> Trying to find if there are natural remedies that
> have worked for others or if a sleep therapist/doc
> helps any - without the use of drugs.

If you dont just want to use drugs stay away from Doctors connected to INOVA then, thats all theyre give you and call it a day.

If you want something more natural you can try ZMA or Melatonin.

But yes exercise more. If youre physically exhausted youll fall asleep earlier, cut back on caffeine.

You mentioned you wake up choking, get a sleep study thats not normal.

Date: July 10, 2013 02:26PM

junejune Wrote:
> Thansk to all responding and sharing your
> experience....much appreciated.
>
> A question about Velarin and Melatonin....how
> effective has it been for you and safe to use for
> the long term? Addictive? Currently struggling
> with lifestyles changes but may have to resort to
> velarin or melatonin.
>
> Also, can any other deficiencies (thyroid, b12,
> etc) cause this? Other than the standard CBC,
> what other test should I request my PCP to
> perform?

I've used Melatonin before and it makes me tired in the morning when I wake up, even if I went to bed between 8pm and 9pm the night before.

Posted by: 2 cents ()
Date: July 10, 2013 02:51PM

junejune Wrote:
> Also, can any other deficiencies (thyroid, b12,
> etc) cause this? Other than the standard CBC,
> what other test should I request my PCP to
> perform?

If I were you, I'd have thyroid testing (TSH, T3, T4). Paradoxically, both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism can cause sleep problems. You might also want to have your testosterone level tested, even as a woman. I just found out that mine is really low. You could also test for a Vitamin D deficiency, which can cause sleep problems. These tests can all be ordered by your GP and processed by your regular lab.

This is considered kind of 'out there', but you could check for adrenal fatigue with a saliva test. Don't bother asking your doctor. Look online if you're interested.

Posted by: natural remedies ()
Date: July 10, 2013 03:00PM

When was the last time you had intercourse? Seriously...

Posted by: Sleepyhead ()
Date: July 10, 2013 10:21PM

If you tired of advice from non-medical professionals you met on an internet forum, I can recommend my doctor. She has sleep centers in her office that are much nicer than the hospital based ones. And cheaper. I've had five overnight sleep studies in the last 20 years, so I know.

http://www.comprehensivesleepcare.com

She has offices in the Westfields Area and also near Loudoun Hospital.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.