HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Used tire stores
Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:26PM

I need a couple of used tires to get a seldom-used beater vehicle past the VA annual inspection.

Does anybody have recommendations for used tire stores?

Google shows some place in Arlington with some way-too-happy yelp reviews, and not much else.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 10:26PM by wnrsm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Used tire stores
Posted by: worth a look ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:43PM

Rons used tires, Never used them, but they have a shitload of places in the area.

Posted by: llantas usadas ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:44PM

Look for signs that say this, it is Spanish for used tires.

There's a place on Rt. 7, right across from the Culmore shopping center that has them.

Posted by: John Banner ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:47PM

Rt 28 as it goes into Manassas Park, the area is full of them

Posted by: kkdKb ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:55PM

Craig's list too. Always some on there. I've bought close to new take-offs for next to nothing from people just wanting to get them out of the way. Have to spend time watching it and jump on them though.

Posted by: TireGuy ()
Date: July 03, 2013 01:55AM

I've gone to manassas to pick up used tires, its around $30-$40 per tire depending on the size tire you may need. I've personally gone to Ron's Used Tires, and Tire Economy Thrift. both were very good, they mount and balance the tires and give you a 30 day warranty

Posted by: gotsomegreattires ()
Date: July 04, 2013 03:42PM

Thanks to FU, I went to Rons in Centreville and picked up 4 Yokohama Geolandar H/T G95A tires with about 70% of the tread left for $200 including balancing and mounting! They were done in about 45 minutes and that was only because they were working on a couple of cars when I arrived.

These tires cost $752 new from TireRack plus shipping and then I'd have to pay about $80 for having them balanced and mounted. So figure on about $870 for everything.

A great deal! Thanks FU!

Posted by: gotsomegreattires ()
Date: July 05, 2013 09:05PM

Oh .......very important.

If you get used tires or - for that matter new tires - make sure the tires are not old. Depending on various factors such as usage, whether the car is garaged, etc tires that are 6-10 years since the date of manufacture, are considered to be potentially hazardous because irrespective of tread wear, the rubber deteriorates and they can literally come apart making the consequences potentially dangerous.

Even brand new tires that are sometimes sold may have been manufactured several years ago. They may have been stored at the manufacturer or at a tire dealer.

The date of manufacture appears on the sidewall. It shows up as for example "DOT 2008" - which is what mine shows - and this means it it was manufactured in the 20th week of the year 2008. The first two digits are the week it was manufactured and the last two digits are the year of manufacture. This four digit code appears on tires manufactured after the year 2000.

My tires potentially have up about 5 years before they would need to be replaced irrespective of tread wear.

Posted by: RobertJoseph ()
Date: July 05, 2013 09:08PM

Definitely craven tire if you are craven tire.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: July 06, 2013 05:54PM

to all.. Thanks!

Date: July 07, 2013 09:26PM

Bingo tire in Newington

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.