HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Car trouble
Posted by: Mom to boys ()
Date: June 30, 2013 05:47PM

Needed some direction please.

Nothing snarky please; looking for assistance in what to do.

2008 ford explorer; original owner, serviced and garage kept, always

Needed brakes replaced. Two estimates; both from Fairfax shops
Dealer said they would take lowest written estimate and cut price by 10%
Done.

Dropped car, went on my way and 3 hours later got the call; we have a problem. Coolant system that keeps car from overheating leaking and the cost to repair; $600.00.

I had two estimates done before dropping at dealer. Neither shop who lifted car made any mention at all of this "leak". Remember; garage kept and never a single drop of anything on the garage floor.

Told them not to do the coolant work as I could not fathom how there was suddenly a leak. Picked up the car after brake work done and, yep. I now have a greenish color fluid leaking from the car on the garage floor.

Looking for some direction please. How to handle this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: South of Old town ()
Date: June 30, 2013 05:52PM

What exactly are they saying is wrong, the coolant system can be just about anything from a broken radiator to a heater hose to a radiator cap. Dealers are for the most part heartless and will find something anything to fix at inflated prices.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: Ringer ()
Date: June 30, 2013 05:56PM

I had a Lexus dealer try to tell me the rear brakes needed replaced. When questioned further they said well they will need replaced soon. Soon as in the next 20,000 miles if I rode the brakes hard all the time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: Mom to boys ()
Date: June 30, 2013 06:00PM

I'm showing my ignorance; I apologize.

Not a hose or cap issue; They said there is a hole on the bottom of the radiator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: Rung'er ()
Date: June 30, 2013 06:06PM

Ringer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had a Lexus dealer try to tell me the rear
> brakes needed replaced. When questioned further
> they said well they will need replaced soon. Soon
> as in the next 20,000 miles if I rode the brakes
> hard all the time.

Too bad you don't live in a good ole American neighborhood where you could Get your hands a little dirty and do the work yourself. Sometimes the neighbors will bring a couple of beers and offer their opinion.
To downscale for you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: Mom to boys ()
Date: June 30, 2013 06:14PM

Rung'er

As a matter of fact, not at all. At the moment this weekend's project was to empty the garage, scrub down the floor from two boys and baseball gear, power wash and apply a concrete skid proof paint and add paint chips. Almost done; drying now.

Hadn't planned on the car. Thanks for your help tho...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: June 30, 2013 06:49PM

Check for ice pick holes

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: Basic Instinct ()
Date: June 30, 2013 07:04PM

Stabitha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check for ice pick holes

Ice pick holes? Silly Boy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: adfadsfdsa ()
Date: June 30, 2013 07:08PM

I usually use a mechanic I know to replace my breaks and change my oil. This time he wasn't available, so I took my car to a place over in Sterling. I decided to the oil myself. When I got it back, my air conditioning mysteriously stopped working and guess what? Now there's a hole in my hose for the A/C. Hmmmmm wonder how that got there?

Options: ReplyQuote
Where is the leak
Posted by: Fairfax Boy ()
Date: June 30, 2013 08:24PM

First off - Replacing the brakes has now connection to the cooling system. Did the dealer(Britt?)say what is wrong with the cooling system? Where is it leaking from. They need to be specific and exact.

A 5 year old car/truck that has been maintained properly with less than 100K miles should not need a new radiator-Unless the dealer somehow poked a hole in the radiator.

You need to find out where the leak is comming from - Friends and family will steer you to someone honest -

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: Pat Goss ()
Date: June 30, 2013 09:51PM

http://goss-garage.com

Bring it on by my shop. I'm a fucking asshole but, I'll fix your car right at a competitive price...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: koop ()
Date: June 30, 2013 10:45PM

Unless it's warranty work, you never, never, never, never take a car to a fucking dealer for repairs. You're asking for it if you do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: Keeping It Real ()
Date: June 30, 2013 11:13PM

Pat Goss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://goss-garage.com
>
> Bring it on by my shop. I'm a fucking asshole but,
> I'll fix your car right at a competitive price...

I like this guy. Don't know him...but I like the honesty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: fishy ()
Date: July 01, 2013 08:09AM

radiator leaks esp from the radiator are not common in a car that new. Find the leak and look for damage. I cannot imagine how they could accidentally cause a leak that far front and center working on the brakes unless there was something on the floor when they lowered the car and it creased a part of the radiator.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: Stealership ()
Date: July 01, 2013 08:09AM

In DIY forums they are called 'Stealerships' for a reason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: matt 703 ()
Date: July 01, 2013 09:15AM

Hey there momma -

Take it to Kim's auto on Pickett Road (next to the post office). Only place I trust. I take my two cars there, my brother and parents do also, as well as my mother in law.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: Kyle Blanks ()
Date: July 01, 2013 01:24PM

Pat Goss would rip you a new asshole. You may want to use some discernment if you go into his shop. The guys at carprousa.com are very knowledgeable about cars. You might want to contact them.
There is also the Car Czar, but he might get angry with you. Even thought he is the alchemist, the governor, and the maestro when it comes to cars, the Car Czar flies off the handle at times.






http://www.carprousa.com/


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NCu4VwflVs&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLE3978F18D0394D8E


http://thecarczar.com/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: abelard ()
Date: July 01, 2013 09:56PM

Mom to boys - just to chime in on dealerships, many has been the time when they've found stuff on my car that 'could use replacing'. The lie is this: it's technically not a lie because all the parts in your car are (by definition) used, and replacing any of them would't hurt. But it's also unnecessary. Similarly, most cars leak a bit of oil or coolant (but not enough to be a problem). Absent outright fraud (like ice-picking your radiator) they're not lying to you but they're also not telling you the truth.

Always ask for a second opinion, elsewhere. If your car develops a problem it didn't have before you went in, have it towed to a better place.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2013 12:38AM by abelard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: Ralph Pootawn ()
Date: July 02, 2013 08:48AM

duct tape

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: dealer ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:22AM

To OP
You cannot prove anything. Pay us to fix it or take it to another shop. Thousands of cars come in and out of our shop and every now and then something breaks on a vehicle while its in here. We do not like your attitude and we do not think you have what it takes to be one of our clients. You can go to hell while we will continue to provide outstanding service to our clients while we all pull down 6 figure salaries.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: dealer1 ()
Date: July 02, 2013 10:30AM

Dealer says "If you cannot afford to pay for maintenance why did you purchase the vehicle?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: Pat Goss ()
Date: July 02, 2013 11:00AM

Just dump some BG-44K in there.

It won't do shit for the car, but it puts money in my pocket.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: Porshe 356 ()
Date: July 02, 2013 11:16AM

Pat Goss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just dump some BG-44K in there.
>
> It won't do shit for the car, but it puts money in
> my pocket.

Works well. Been using it since "82. Pour a can in the tank every 7k when taking a trip. If you know your car you will feel the differanc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: katiesmith ()
Date: July 02, 2013 02:19PM

Yes, here's some advice, stop overcompensating for being a fatty and bad parent by driving an ugly low quality gas guzzler.




Mom to boys Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Needed some direction please.
>
> Nothing snarky please; looking for assistance in
> what to do.
>
> 2008 ford explorer; original owner, serviced and
> garage kept, always
>
> Needed brakes replaced. Two estimates; both from
> Fairfax shops
> Dealer said they would take lowest written
> estimate and cut price by 10%
> Done.
>
> Dropped car, went on my way and 3 hours later got
> the call; we have a problem. Coolant system that
> keeps car from overheating leaking and the cost to
> repair; $600.00.
>
> I had two estimates done before dropping at
> dealer. Neither shop who lifted car made any
> mention at all of this "leak". Remember; garage
> kept and never a single drop of anything on the
> garage floor.
>
> Told them not to do the coolant work as I could
> not fathom how there was suddenly a leak. Picked
> up the car after brake work done and, yep. I now
> have a greenish color fluid leaking from the car
> on the garage floor.
>
> Looking for some direction please. How to handle
> this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: MoreInfo ()
Date: July 02, 2013 02:42PM

Porshe 356 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pat Goss Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just dump some BG-44K in there.
> >
> > It won't do shit for the car, but it puts money
> in
> > my pocket.
>
> Works well. Been using it since "82. Pour a can in
> the tank every 7k when taking a trip. If you know
> your car you will feel the differanc.


Same here. I buy it off of eBay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car trouble
Posted by: asdfasdfasfd ()
Date: July 02, 2013 02:56PM

Pat Goss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just dump some BG-44K in there.
>
> It won't do shit for the car, but it puts money in
> my pocket.

Hhahahahahha!

Options: ReplyQuote


Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
 ********    ******   **     **  **     **   ******  
 **     **  **    **   **   **   **     **  **    ** 
 **     **  **          ** **    **     **  **       
 ********   **           ***     **     **  **       
 **         **          ** **     **   **   **       
 **         **    **   **   **     ** **    **    ** 
 **          ******   **     **     ***      ******  
This forum powered by Phorum.