HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Best college for student leaders
Posted by: Va college ()
Date: June 13, 2013 09:05PM

What is the best college in VA for a good student in the 3.8 range with 1800 SATS and tons of leadership stuff on their resume

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best college for student leaders
Posted by: WilliamRobert ()
Date: June 13, 2013 09:30PM

Nova.

Posted by: Thanks moron ()
Date: June 13, 2013 09:35PM

Thanks moron. I wants real advice. One day you'll work for her

Posted by: RobertWilliam ()
Date: June 13, 2013 09:42PM

Thanks moron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks moron. I wants real advice. One day
> you'll work for her

Doubt it, I have seen a good student with a ton of leadership bullshit on their resume go to shit when they hit college. add in not paying for college,away from controlling parents,parting,smoking weed,doing x and other drugs,getting banged out, sleeping in late and then getting the shitty grades.
See this shit happen a lot to NoVa kids.

Oh, almost forgot one thing......moron.

Posted by: So ()
Date: June 13, 2013 09:44PM

So who succeeds

Posted by: passed college ()
Date: June 14, 2013 12:15AM

So Wrote:
> So who succeeds

The quieter middle of the pack students, the honors/AP/IB crowd, and a few athletes that suprise everyone and take school seriously.

Posted by: Freshmen college student ()
Date: June 14, 2013 12:45AM

3.8 with 1800 SATS?

Good luck getting into James Madison. Unless you are Hispanic or another minority no way you can get into UVA, or William and Mary. You could slide by and get into Virginia Tech as I did (3.7gpa, 1820Sat), but if you want to become a leader you shouldn't go there.

Christopher Newport, James Madison, and George Mason are your best options.

Posted by: Capt Kirk ()
Date: June 14, 2013 01:17AM

U.S. Naval Academy

Posted by: dad grad ()
Date: June 14, 2013 05:28AM

Freshmen college student Wrote:
> 3.8 with 1800 SATS?
>
> Good luck getting into James Madison. Unless you
> are Hispanic or another minority no way you can
> get into UVA, or William and Mary. You could
> slide by and get into Virginia Tech as I did
> (3.7gpa, 1820Sat), but if you want to become a
> leader you shouldn't go there.
>
> Christopher Newport, James Madison, and George
> Mason are your best options.

I agree with that but I would really try for JMU. You could go to Mason for a semester or two and then try to transfer to JMU if you get good grades. You really don't want to have a GMU diploma. We have a running joke about GMU grads at my place of employment and we have never hired one that has lasted for a year.

Posted by: steve k2 ()
Date: June 14, 2013 09:02AM

dad grad Wrote:
You really don't want to have a GMU
> diploma. We have a running joke about GMU grads at
> my place of employment and we have never hired one
> that has lasted for a year.

GMU grads are comparable to the other schools. Your company must do some bs work that Mason students feel they're better then. A lot of bad work based on commission can be found in this area, if they leave before a year is up, they are using it as a stepping stone to the next job!

Posted by: One who does ()
Date: June 14, 2013 09:11AM

"tons of leadership stuff on their resume"

Great, just what the world needs, another Project Manager.

Posted by: mid-pack ()
Date: June 14, 2013 09:16AM

A 3.8 and 1800 SAT is average for students coming from this area. Go somehwere where you can make a difference. Perhaps CNU or GMU would be a good fit. Otherwise, you will be lost in the crowd.

Posted by: This place is sick ()
Date: June 14, 2013 10:12AM

It is ashamed what has happened in Fairfax county

When you do tons of stuff in the community, serve in the very top leadership positions in your school, hold a part-time job, and that is average our priorities are seriously messed up.

Many, not all, 4.9 kids with 2300 can't communicate with anyone and have done nothing to prepare them for life.

Just saying.

Only in this county

Posted by: ?????????????????? ()
Date: June 14, 2013 10:31AM

Thanks moron Wrote:
> Thanks moron. I wants real advice. One day
> you'll work for her

You need basic grammar lessons. Try NOVA.

Posted by: bn ()
Date: June 14, 2013 10:37AM

Capt Kirk Wrote:
> U.S. Naval Academy

+1

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: June 14, 2013 11:05AM

My advice, first cut the student leaders bit. It is just going to piss people off.

Second, visit a number of different area schools and take into consideration what your kid wants to do at college, what he wants to study and what he hopes to do afterwards. It is easy to say UVa and W&M are the best, but depending on what your kid's plans are there are a number of supposedly lesser schools that are likely to be almost as good, or even better than these. Also the admissions process at many Virginia schools can be a bit of a crap shoot.

Third, consider out of area schools. If you are willing to travel a little there are a number of good ones that would love to have your kid, and some can be more affordable than you might think.

Posted by: expand your horizons ()
Date: June 14, 2013 11:15AM

Agree with above post. You need to go outside of VA. There are so many great schools that are willing to give you money! Pennsylvania and Maryland schools are often much closer and they have wonderful opportunities. You might be surprised at the affordability and the attention you will get. Your child will also benefit from getting to know people from outside VA.

Posted by: this place is not sick ()
Date: June 14, 2013 12:31PM

Look, this place is not sick. Any large and well off metropolitan area is going to have some really top performing people at the high school level and beyond. Northern Virginia simply attracts the talent in sufficient numbers for it to happen. Shanghai, for example, is no different from Nothern Virginia in this respect - the top performers are diligent and hardworking, and well, very competitive.

And I disagree with the assertion that many 2300 kids cannot communicate and have not done anything to prepare them for life. Most communicate and write exceedingly well. They may not be future fraternity or sorority presidents, but most have adequate or even better social skills. There are a few who don't, but that is the case with any achievement grouping. I don't think it fair to conflate high academic achievement with poor social skills.

And as far as not doing anything to prepare them for life, the kids with the 2300 scores (or higher) are the ones that should be going to college. College increasingly makes less financial and career sense (both factors combined), but kids in the top 5% of achievement should in almost all cases go to college, and that is what they are essentially prepared to do. The real problem lies with kids who go to college who are in the bottom 50% of the class. Many don't make it, or make it only with an elongated, mediocre experience with lots of debt. These types would be far better off focusing on vocational skills.

By the way 1800 on the SAT's is sufficient to do college level work, although it takes - work and focus. I think the initial poster is asking the wrong question. He or she should focus on what they want to study (he or she is not going to Princeton or Harvard where an investment bank will hire a history major), so choice of study is exceedingly important. He or she should then focus on the quality of departments in each of the schools he or she can realistically get in at in-state rates (which means some majors can take you out of state - i.e., one can be an actuary at South Carolina at Virginia rates). Transfers are an option, but remember to compete wellmeans that both skills and performance must improve at the NOVA or "GMU" level - these things do not happen automatically. It is a shame, because 30-40 years one could go to college, major in liberal arts, find themselves, and still have prospects for good employment with little or no debt. Nothing about today's scene resembles those halcyon days - the stakes are higher, students must choose vocationally sensible majors, and the economics leave far less margin for error.

Posted by: Here a Leader There a Leader ()
Date: June 14, 2013 12:35PM

I think some guidance counselor has blown too much smoke up your ass. Haven't you heard? EVERYONE is a student leader nowadays.

I am sure your daughter is involved in some great activities, but the name of the game these days is bragging about "leadership activities."

When I graduated my college's employment department wouldn't approve my resume to go into their database until I had satisfied them on wasting way too much space on leadership activities rather than the actual jobs I held that demonstrated my employability.

I told them to fuck off and did it my own way and worked out fine.

Friendly advice, don't listen to the guidance counselors about anything. Let your daughter be who she is, style her application to reflect that, and she'll be fine.

Good luck.

Best "college" (or "Education") for student leaders...
Posted by: Sweet Blueberry ()
Date: June 14, 2013 12:42PM

The best advice I've ever heard is listen to it all, and "then" follow your heart/gut, sometimes even against the support systems that support you.

Only you know what you want to do.  Most don't ever clarify what they want.  Start with the end point and then build to it.

If you're a leader, my experience is you are best being mentored by an entrepreneur in the industry "you" are passionate about.  While education at a university or college can be beneficial, some of the most successful business leaders thought for themselves, blazed their own trail, and built a massive, influential enterprise.

Fred Smith was told by a teacher that his idea for FedEx was a poor one.  He was given a "C" for his brilliant idea.

I don't have confirmation about this next statement, so don't slam me "Fairfax Underground Style" if I'm "off," but if it's true, it's ballsy...  Fred Smith put $5,000 on the black jack table to generate income at some point in his FedEx venture to keep things moving forward.  Again, if that's true, it demonstrates that "big vision" entrepreneurs creatively find solutions because they're building a dream which ends up providing a livelihood to many.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1966837

Richard Branson...

Steve Jobs...

Many more...

http://m.good.is/posts/class-dismissed-eight-successful-entrepreneurs-who-didn-t-go-to-college

My bottom line point remains steadfast...  Your best bet for discovering and building perpetual happiness in every area of your life is clearly define what you want and seek the best way for "you" to accomplish what you are passionate about.

All the best in your adventures...

Posted by: All Names Are Taken ()
Date: June 14, 2013 01:06PM

No way this person could get into US Naval Academy with a 3.8 gpa and 1800 range SAT.

Posted by: this place is not sick ()
Date: June 14, 2013 01:42PM

All names, you are correct, unless in a certain minority group.

The core math and engineering at the academies (no matter what the major) are not easy, and the academies are very competitive.

Posted by: CNU Grad ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:04PM

I went to CNU myself, and generally loved it there. It kind of depends on what kind of experience you want. I kinda wanted a small school, so CNU was the right fit for me. I also applied to VCU and GMU, and got into both.

I graduated 5 years ago and it has changed a lot since then, from what I hear. I graduated high school with a 3.7 GPA and a 1260 SAT (back on the 1600 point scale) with no sports (played city baseball) or leadership stuff. I was originally in the honors program, but quit because the work of the honors classes at CNU weren't worth it for me. I think the admission standards have gotten a little tougher since I got in.

Posted by: CNU Grad ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:06PM

Oh, and back when I was there, there were a ton of Northern Virginia and Richmond (specifically, Midlothian area) kids there. I think they love getting that rich kid money.

Posted by: Bunch of snobs ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:27PM

Leave kid alone. 3.8 is not bad. Nor is 1800. My goodness

Posted by: eesh ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:34PM

Does anyone talk about the ACT anymore? Whatever happened to SAT IIs? Back when I was in high school, a lot of the colleges I looked at wanted at least a 1200 on the SAT, and SAT IIs in math and another SAT II in a foreign language.

Posted by: Va college ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:36PM

26 ACT
Student president

Posted by: Future over ()
Date: June 14, 2013 02:38PM

Color kid done. Washed up at 18

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: June 14, 2013 06:48PM

eesh Wrote:
> Does anyone talk about the ACT anymore? Whatever
> happened to SAT IIs? Back when I was in high
> school, a lot of the colleges I looked at wanted
> at least a 1200 on the SAT, and SAT IIs in math
> and another SAT II in a foreign language.

Yeah, the ACT is actually the most taken standardized test in this country, believe it or not. SAT IIs became the SAT Subject Tests. Most selective colleges want to see at least one, and usually two SAT Subject Tests, with scores at least in the mid 600s.

Posted by: Join marines ()
Date: June 14, 2013 08:00PM

Give up. Enroll in military

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.