HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Fairfax County car tax INCREASE!?!
Posted by: Lisa ()
Date: September 10, 2008 03:11PM

Anyone else out there with a Ford truck that got an increase in their personal property tax bill because your truck supposedly INCREASED in value? The county is trying to tell me that my Ford truck went up in value $2,000 from last year's assesment, and they've increased my tax liability as a result. Have they lost their minds?! Cars depreciate, not appreciate in value over time. We're talking about a 2004 Ford F250 work truck used in construction, which the county assessed last year at $13,300, and this year they are saying it's worth $15,300. The trade in value according to Kelly Blue Book is $9500, but the county won't take that value. I'd love to hear from anyone else having this problem and I recommend everyone check their personal property bill to see if the county increased the value of their vehicle and the tax bill as a result. We're fighting this issue with the county, but getting nowhere fast.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fairfax County car tax INCREASE!?!
Posted by: kuyju ()
Date: September 10, 2008 03:21PM

Wow

interesting

anyone else?

Posted by: Hillary ()
Date: September 10, 2008 04:19PM

The same shit happened to me too. The county is trying to rip people off. And look who's in control of the county: THE DEMOCRATS!!! I can't imagine what they will do to the tax system if they come to power.

Posted by: Numbers ()
Date: September 10, 2008 05:04PM

The saddest part is that there is a "car tax" to begin with. Is there anything left for them to tax us on? I can assure the "internet tax" is next up. Let's see, you already pay taxes on your pets, office equipment, car, gasoline, your house and your phone, the only things left are the internet and sex. I can guarantee they're trying some way to factor those two items in as I type.

Remember when we broke away from England? Why was that?

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: September 10, 2008 05:12PM

Because of taxation without representation. We're taxed by those who represent us.

Posted by: Mofo ()
Date: September 10, 2008 05:14PM

That's the biggest load of shit I've ever seen. Apparently they didn't get the news that trucks and SUVs are plunging in value and Ford just closed several truck plants for that specific reason.

They did the same shit with the property assesments even though real estate has also been in the shitter somehow the taxed values increased.

Lisa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone else out there with a Ford truck that got
> an increase in their personal property tax bill
> because your truck supposedly INCREASED in value?
> The county is trying to tell me that my Ford truck
> went up in value $2,000 from last year's
> assesment, and they've increased my tax liability
> as a result. Have they lost their minds?! Cars
> depreciate, not appreciate in value over time.
> We're talking about a 2004 Ford F250 work truck
> used in construction, which the county assessed
> last year at $13,300, and this year they are
> saying it's worth $15,300. The trade in value
> according to Kelly Blue Book is $9500, but the
> county won't take that value. I'd love to hear
> from anyone else having this problem and I
> recommend everyone check their personal property
> bill to see if the county increased the value of
> their vehicle and the tax bill as a result. We're
> fighting this issue with the county, but getting
> nowhere fast.

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: September 10, 2008 05:20PM

My truck went down $1,100 in value. Maybe it's a Ford thing....

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: September 10, 2008 08:38PM

why dont you call the County and get an explanation... stop whining on here!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2008 08:38PM by Vince(1).

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: September 10, 2008 08:58PM

Hey Lisa, if you dispute your truck's assessment, DO NOT tell the County what you told us, re: "We're talking about a 2004 Ford F250 work truck used in construction." Or else you may blow you car tax break altogether!

Car tax relief ONLY applies to PERSONAL USE vehicles. If they want photos or to see the vehicles....take any and all commercial signs off it!

From the County tax website:

If you can answer YES to any of the following questions, your motor vehicle is considered by State Law to have a business use and does not qualify for Car Tax Relief.

Is more than 50% of the mileage for the year used as a business expense for Federal Income Tax purposes OR reimbursed by an employer?
Is more than 50% of the depreciation associated with the vehicle deducted as a business expense for Federal Income Tax purposes?
Is the cost of the vehicle expensed pursuant to Section 179 of the Internal Revenue Service Code?

Posted by: Vince(1) ()
Date: September 10, 2008 11:05PM

tubby Wrote:
> Hey Lisa, if you dispute your truck's assessment,
> DO NOT tell the County what you told us, re:
> "We're talking about a 2004 Ford F250 work truck
> used in construction." Or else you may blow you
> car tax break altogether!
>
> Car tax relief ONLY applies to PERSONAL USE
> vehicles. If they want photos or to see the
> vehicles....take any and all commercial signs off
> it!
>
> From the County tax website:
>
>
> If you can answer YES to any of the following
> questions, your motor vehicle is considered by
> State Law to have a business use and does not
> qualify for Car Tax Relief.
>
> Is more than 50% of the mileage for the year used
> as a business expense for Federal Income Tax
> purposes OR reimbursed by an employer?
> Is more than 50% of the depreciation associated
> with the vehicle deducted as a business expense
> for Federal Income Tax purposes?
> Is the cost of the vehicle expensed pursuant to
> Section 179 of the Internal Revenue Service Code?

You are counseling her to lie..to be a tax cheat?

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: September 11, 2008 08:48AM

I just love this. Why did the original poster title this discussion "Fairfax County car tax INCREASE!?!" when she is only aware that her tax may or may not have increased?

A statement like that is only meant to spread dis-information, enrage the community, or get people to read the post under false pretenses.

Lisa -

do us all a favor. Say "MY car tax increased" or "did your car tax increase". You are special Lisa. Just because it happened to you does not mean it happened to the rest of us.

Date: September 11, 2008 08:58AM

Though the title may have been ill-chosen, the basis of the original question is simply if anyone saw the taxed value of their vehicles going up when you almost never see that happening, particularly with pickup trucks. She never advocated cheating or suggested anything about the car tax relief issue.

Date: September 11, 2008 09:45AM

The county is already aware that this is a business use vehicle, and no, I don't receive any tax relief on this vehicle. Which make the situation even more frustrating, since my Ford personal use vehicle did NOT increase in value! The county only raised the value on the vehicle which they could get the most money in taxes from.

Date: September 11, 2008 09:51AM

Vince, FYI, I did call the county, several times and even spoke with the Director of the tax office, and the explanation I received for the increase was that ALL Fords went up in value due to the decrease in Ford's production. If that's not a crock of shit, I don't know what is.
The only way the county will adjust our tax assesement is for us to take the truck to a Ford dealership and have an appraisal done by the dealership. NOT a trade in value, an appraisal. I have yet to find a dealership that will do this.

Date: September 11, 2008 10:08AM

I posted the original message as such because I personally think people should be enraged by this. If the way I posted gets more people to read the post, great, that way my intention. Maybe it didn't happen to everyone this year, but if the county gets away with it this year even on just a few tax bills, what's to stop them from doing it to more people next year. Most people get their bill, pay it and don't think twice about it. Especially those who do receive the "tax relief". I have personal and business vehicles, both Fords. I have a real problem with the county's explanation that ALL Ford's went up in value, when my personal vehicle, which is 2 years newer and in perfect condition, went down in value over $3,000 from last year, but my business truck, in fair condition, went up in value. How does that make sense?

Posted by: Suburbanite ()
Date: September 11, 2008 10:34AM

Well, not all Ford trucks went up in value. Mine went down, but then it's an 11 year old F150. Lisa, I wonder if your personal Ford is a F150 or F250? Could be the difference. As to the current condition of the vehicle, that's irrelevant to tax assessment. They don't go door to door checking condition of vehicles. There must be something about 250's that has made them more valuable. Did you check the Kelly Blue book value online? I would check into it if I were you though, could be an error.

Posted by: you people are stupid ()
Date: September 11, 2008 10:56AM

Does anyone on this board read a newspaper? Watch tv?

$400 million dollare deficit for Fairfax County.

State revenue is declining also-and FC gets back only 20 cents on the dollar of what we pay.

FDIC is out of money.

Federal Highway Administration is broke. Remember all those politicians promising us theyy wuld waive the federal gas tax? That money goes to pay for roads.

I am exasperated by the stupidity of you people.

Posted by: ITRADE ()
Date: September 11, 2008 11:00AM

Lisa Wrote:
> Vince, FYI, I did call the county, several times
> and even spoke with the Director of the tax
> office, and the explanation I received for the
> increase was that ALL Fords went up in value due
> to the decrease in Ford's production. If that's
> not a crock of shit, I don't know what is.
> The only way the county will adjust our tax
> assesement is for us to take the truck to a Ford
> dealership and have an appraisal done by the
> dealership. NOT a trade in value, an appraisal.
> I have yet to find a dealership that will do this.

Thats a total load of crap if that is what was said or relied upon. By that measure, any Oldsmobile should be doubling in value because they're not produced any more.

Posted by: Kiev ()
Date: September 11, 2008 11:35AM

Just checked mine.

No increase here.

(but also not a ford)

Posted by: tubby ()
Date: September 11, 2008 11:58AM

"ALL Fords went up in value due to the decrease in Ford's production. If that's not a crock of shit, I don't know what is."

WOW, that really is a crock! Ford production is down because nobody wants the pieces of shit.

But, I just looked at the assessment on my '93 F-150...it went $150, from $2300 to $2150. Damn, I wish I could get that kind of money for it! The POS is on it's fourth transmission in 95K actual miles....and I doubt it gets 10 mpg.

No more Fords for me!

I didn't take it in for the cruise control recall (might suddenly burst into flames) because the thing burning up would doing me a favor. I just don't park it near my house or boat.

Date: September 11, 2008 12:22PM

you people are stupid Wrote:
> Does anyone on this board read a newspaper? Watch
> tv?

Odd, coming from someone who posts stuff that is wrong. FDIC is not out of money, they haven't come close to even tapping half their reserves with all the bank failures that have already happened.

FHWA is not broke. They _manage_ the Highway Trust Fund which is where the taxes go... FHWA != Highway Trust Fund.

you people are stupid Wrote:
> I am exasperated by the stupidity of you people.

lol.

Posted by: Erica ()
Date: September 19, 2008 10:53AM

I am also having issues with Fairfax County. I moved out of the state Aub of 07, yet they are STILL billing me for property tax. Even though I have called over 20 tims int eh past year, I have faxed my out of state registrations, my out of state property tax bills i have paid ont he vehicle, my out of state license....nothing seems to click with these peopel that neither I nor my vehichle have been housed in that state, let alone that county, since July of '07. Can we sue them for false bills?

Posted by: FFx County Employee ()
Date: September 19, 2008 11:14AM

Erica Wrote:
> I am also having issues with Fairfax County. I
> moved out of the state Aub of 07, yet they are
> STILL billing me for property tax. Even though I
> have called over 20 tims int eh past year, I have
> faxed my out of state registrations, my out of
> state property tax bills i have paid ont he
> vehicle, my out of state license....nothing seems
> to click with these peopel that neither I nor my
> vehichle have been housed in that state, let alone
> that county, since July of '07. Can we sue them
> for false bills?

Velly Solly but we no habp lecord of you call to fini tax beel. Preese
keep tlying. Faw Engerish, pless won. Faw aSpneesh, pless too. Odawise,
Xin Loi Chawlie!

Posted by: walkmam ()
Date: September 19, 2008 12:22PM

Erica Wrote:
> I am also having issues with Fairfax County. I
> moved out of the state Aub of 07, yet they are
> STILL billing me for property tax. Even though I
> have called over 20 tims int eh past year, I have
> faxed my out of state registrations, my out of
> state property tax bills i have paid ont he
> vehicle, my out of state license....nothing seems
> to click with these peopel that neither I nor my
> vehichle have been housed in that state, let alone
> that county, since July of '07. Can we sue them
> for false bills?

Are you sure the county is not trying to collect for the partial year that you were in fairfax co.?

Posted by: lisa ()
Date: September 19, 2008 03:26PM

I doubt if you can sue the county for that and even if you did, your legal expenses to sue them would probably be more than the bill. They are probably trying to bill you for Jan-Aug. but I would double check it anyway. Back to the tax bill which I am currently fighting, the county told me to get an appraisal, or an estimate of repairs to bring to condition of the vehicle up to average/good condition which the assessed value is based on. I got a full estimate of all repairs needed to bring the condition up, and it's over $11,0000! According to the county, they will subtract the estimate from my assessed value, which means the truck is worth just over $3,000, not $15,000. I just sent it to them via fax, we'll see what they have to say. It was a pain in the ass to have the estimate done since the body shop had to keep the truck for the day in order to do a complete estimate, but well worth it if the county actually does what they said they were going to do.

Posted by: IO ()
Date: September 20, 2008 09:25PM

From the Fairfax County web page:

"For vehicles, the tax is based on the average trade-in value as listed in the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) Used Car Guide published in January of the current tax year. A vehicle is subject to tax if it is normally garaged or parked in the County, even if registered in another state. Tax on motor vehicles is prorated for the portion of the year it is located in the County unless the vehicle is moved to a non-prorating Virginia locality."

Based on this, Fairfax County does not set the value of your car (or truck, in this case), the National Automobile Dealers Association does. Unlike the scheme they came up with on real estate to shift the basis of an assessment to land value from home value, you can't lay this one on their door step.

If the value on your assessment differs from the NADA price, then you have a legitimate appeal. Fairfax County has not changed the tax rate on cars, which is still $4.57 for each $100 assessed.

Date: September 24, 2008 08:17PM

Not that anyone is still interested, but sometimes it does pay to fight the county. I sent them the estimate of repairs to bring the truck up to average/good condition, which is what the assessments are based on, and they lowered my tax bill accordingly. I just saved almost $400! So, for anyone out there who thinks the county has over valued their vehicle, it might be worth it to have an estimate of repairs done and send it to the county. If you're already receiving the car tax "relief" it might not be worth it, but since this is a company truck, subject to the full tax amount, it was definitely worth it.

Posted by: Anne ()
Date: June 20, 2009 12:47PM

Perhaps you'd care to contribute some from your pocket or it just everybody else's responsiblity?

Posted by: Gabie ()
Date: June 20, 2009 12:57PM

I'm a sales rep and deduct my car mileage on my taxes and just got socked for two years of personal taxes on my car. I used to do reimbursements for a large company and know many Fairfax county residents get reimbursed for their mileage but yet don't have to pay the taxes I just got charged. Can somebody please help me understand why? In fact, I'm not even sure they are paying any taxes on the reimbursements they receive.

Posted by: JayBee ()
Date: June 20, 2009 03:08PM

Personal taxes, or personal property taxes? If you are using your car for more than 50% of the time for business, then you are not exempt from the car tax relief, so you pay in full. If its only used for personal, then you get, what, 60% or 80% off.

Paying the taxes on reimbursements? Its counted as income. You get a fat check at the end of the month for reimbursement expenses, that's income. Income is taxed.

Posted by: maybe ()
Date: June 20, 2009 03:09PM

the County tax man is getting slick and checking with the IRS about who is taking deductions for vehicle mileage.

If so, I bet he'll catch a lot of liars who've been telling him the car is "personal" use.

Posted by: brooks ()
Date: September 30, 2009 04:18PM

I just compared my 08 and 09 taxes and they went up almost $200 on my 2008 BMW. I called and they explained that they use a percentage of MSRP as assessments for the first two years and NADA Trade-in "Clean" value thereafter.

However, something is amiss here because online NADA shows my car value at ~$32K and they told me the tax was calculated on ~$36K. I can't believe that my car dropped $4K since January.

Posted by: RestonLass ()
Date: September 30, 2009 05:33PM

I have a Ranger and my tax was $37 LESS this year than last.

The value dropped from $8,550 to $6,275 which is right in line with Edmunds mid-range value for the 2005

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2009 05:40PM by RestonLass.

Date: September 30, 2009 07:18PM

brooks Wrote:
> I just compared my 08 and 09 taxes and they went
> up almost $200 on my 2008 BMW. I called and
> they explained that they use a percentage of MSRP
> as assessments for the first two years and NADA
> Trade-in "Clean" value thereafter.
>
> However, something is amiss here because online
> NADA shows my car value at ~$32K and they told me
> the tax was calculated on ~$36K. I can't believe
> that my car dropped $4K since January.

The answer is in your post. MSRP is not what NADA shows as a value. The County is telling you they are basing their percentage on what a dealer would charge you for a NEW 2008 BMW that is on their lot, not what the trade-in or aftermarket sale numbers are.

Posted by: Dane Bramage ()
Date: September 30, 2009 08:33PM

My Nissan Frontier went down, and also my motorcycle...added together both are under a hundred bucks.

Posted by: Frank ()
Date: September 30, 2009 09:57PM

pgens Wrote:
> you people are stupid Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----

> Odd, coming from someone who posts stuff that is
> wrong. FDIC is not out of money, they haven't
> come close to even tapping half their reserves
> with all the bank failures that have already
> happened.

Really? Wow - you should let Sheila Blair, head of the FDIC know! She thinks it is going broke fst, and is trying to come up with ways to keep it going with new sources of funding. I am sure she will be VERY relieved that she is wrong to worry!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&sid=aEKc7Yh8ogXw

Date: October 01, 2009 07:18AM

Gabie Wrote:
> I'm a sales rep and deduct my car mileage on my
> taxes and just got socked for two years of
> personal taxes on my car. I used to do
> reimbursements for a large company and know many
> Fairfax county residents get reimbursed for their
> mileage but yet don't have to pay the taxes I just
> got charged. Can somebody please help me
> understand why? In fact, I'm not even sure they
> are paying any taxes on the reimbursements they
> receive.

Reimbursement for travel expenses when using your personal vehicle is exactly that. The company acknowledges that this is your personal vehicle and reimburses you rather than assigning a company vehicle because it is cheaper.

The day you deducted mileage on your taxes, you redefined the status of your vehicle from personal to businesses, and that is the basis for the higher tax rate. Revenuers share the information you provide.

Posted by: -,SBS.- ()
Date: October 01, 2009 09:46AM

RestonLass Wrote:
> Gabie Wrote:
> -----
> > I'm a sales rep and deduct my car mileage on my
> > taxes and just got socked for two years of
> > personal taxes on my car. I used to do
> > reimbursements for a large company and know
> many
> > Fairfax county residents get reimbursed for
> their
> > mileage but yet don't have to pay the taxes I
> just
> > got charged. Can somebody please help me
> > understand why? In fact, I'm not even sure
> they
> > are paying any taxes on the reimbursements they
> > receive.
>
>
> Reimbursement for travel expenses when using your
> personal vehicle is exactly that. The company
> acknowledges that this is your personal vehicle
> and reimburses you rather than assigning a company
> vehicle because it is cheaper.
>
> The day you deducted mileage on your taxes, you
> redefined the status of your vehicle from personal
> to businesses, and that is the basis for the
> higher tax rate. Revenuers share the information
> you provide.

If you were reimbursed for your mileage, then you shouldn't be claiming it on your taxes.

Date: October 01, 2009 10:05AM

Frank Wrote:
> pgens Wrote:
> -----
> > you people are stupid Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
>
> > Odd, coming from someone who posts stuff that
> is
> > wrong. FDIC is not out of money, they haven't
> > come close to even tapping half their reserves
> > with all the bank failures that have already
> > happened.
>
> Really? Wow - you should let Sheila Blair, head of
> the FDIC know! She thinks it is going broke fst,
> and is trying to come up with ways to keep it
> going with new sources of funding. I am sure she
> will be VERY relieved that she is wrong to worry!
>
> http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601039&si
> d=aEKc7Yh8ogXw

Frank = asshole. You are quoting a post I wrote over a year ago, and at the time it was true. Only after the many 2009 failures (which rarely make the news anymore) is the FDIC in need of backstopping, and they are looking to do it through accelerated fee payments from the banks that are still alive.

Date: October 01, 2009 10:36AM

-,SBS.- Wrote:
>
> If you were reimbursed for your mileage, then you
> shouldn't be claiming it on your taxes.

This is Gabie's dilemma, not mine.

If you go back and re-read the post, it sounds like Gabie USED to be reimbursed and NOW writes off mileage because he/she is no longer reimbursed

If I misundestood, I'm sure Gabie will correct.

Posted by: PissedOff ()
Date: October 15, 2009 08:55AM

I'm currently going through the probably pointless exercise of arguing with the county about this. My tax increased more than $200 over last year. I got the same explanation about how for the first year they use a percentage of MSRP and after that use the "clean trade in value" from the NADA guide. The printout of the NADA guide they sent me shows my 2008 BMW as having a MSRP of $32400 and a clean trade in value of $32000. Does anyone in their right mind believe that a car that is over two years old and has nearly 40k miles on it would have depreciated by only $400?
Attachments:
nada.png

Posted by: Mr Captcha ()
Date: October 15, 2009 12:15PM

PissedOff Wrote:
> I'm currently going through the probably pointless
> exercise of arguing with the county about this.
> My tax increased more than $200 over last year. I
> got the same explanation about how for the first
> year they use a percentage of MSRP and after that
> use the "clean trade in value" from the NADA
> guide. The printout of the NADA guide they sent
> me shows my 2008 BMW as having a MSRP of $32400
> and a clean trade in value of $32000. Does anyone
> in their right mind believe that a car that is
> over two years old and has nearly 40k miles on it
> would have depreciated by only $400?

Take a look at the guide edition - it's from January 2009. That's 10 freaking months old! It's also probably assuming that, being that close to 2008, a clean trade-in is for all intents and purposes a new car.

Posted by: PissedOff ()
Date: October 15, 2009 01:02PM

That fucking worm at the assessor's office had the nerve to tell me that they had under-assessed it the previous year but that they were going to "let that go."

Posted by: CAR57 ()
Date: October 23, 2009 01:05PM

I have a friend who lives on Soc Sec and is disabled; has under $13k a year income, rent takes up all but $175 of her monthly benefit. She is licensed in another state due to her spending half her time there, her home state, helping elderly sick father. She's paid the car tax all the years she was licensed elsewhere. Two years ago, when she went on SSI, county exempted her from paying the tax, 2007 and 2008, and she has the letters. Now they have decided to

1. Rescind the exemptions they gave her and bill her for those years, because "we only give exemptions to full-time residents--funny, they took her car tax money for many years when she also wasn't full time) and

2. Also bill her for this year, again, no exemption.

She does not have several hundred dollars to pay. She has gone through the relevant county staff for several MONTHS back and forth on this, they won't recognize their own letters of exemption, and now this has gone to collections. Collections told her to get money from a friend, ask landlord to lower her rent (yeah, like Lerner Corp gives a rat's ass about your $ issues), get your car loan lender to extend your payments (she doesn't have a loan, BTW) or lower the coverage on her car insurance! to pay off the bill. She offered a payment plan of $20 a month, but they said, sorry minimum is $50. And while this has all dragged on, she is accumulating more and more interest penalties, which would also continue to accrue even on a payment plan.

Christ almighty, this is worse than the credit card companies! The county evidently would rather throw a woman out on the street and take her only valuable possession than not get their damned tax! And now FC is instituting $100 annual fee for out-of-state tag holders on top of the tax. She has no cable, no Internet, no cell phone, she is living on the bone.

My friend is losing sleep over this and is in tears every day wondering how she is going to take care of this and worried about being thrown out of her apt! She is going to legal aid to see if they can help because the county and collection agency are totally unbending.

Posted by: -,SBS,- ()
Date: October 23, 2009 03:50PM

CAR57,

If she spends 1/2 her time in her home state, and has a legitimate driver's license from said home state, why in the world would she get VA tags on her car to begin with?

Posted by: CAR57 ()
Date: October 29, 2009 09:47AM

-,SBS,- ()
That's exactly my friend's point--she doesn't want to get VA plates!!!!!! she also doesn't want to have to pay fees she had waived b/c FFX County is scrambling for money and can squeeze the little people more easily.

Posted by: RayJay ()
Date: October 29, 2009 10:15AM

Okay get this, last year my anal tax was double what is was the year before this year the County are saying my sphyncter doubled in size making me liable for twice the assesed tax increase. Due to the I'll nomenclature I had no options but to lie on my tax return and say I was a straight man! Well I have decided to cut out all pay services and only use totaly free services to avoid all and any sales tax. So on that note... Any one know where any good quality FREE gloryholes are at in and around Fairfax, I am new to the area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by: Republican Election Lies ()
Date: October 29, 2009 10:27AM

Why are you still paying car tax!

Republican Gov Jim Gilmore eliminated the car tax, remember his election slogan "No Car Tax!"

Posted by: Lopter35 ()
Date: October 29, 2009 10:34AM

Don't forget VA's past:

No Car Tax

Jim Gilmore was elected governor in 1997 by running on a election slogan - "No Car Tax." He tapped into the citizen resentment of the property tax on cars and trucks, and then overcame resistance of the Democrats in the General Assembly to get legislation passed to phase out the car tax over 5 years.

But in the first year of implementation of the tax cut, the administrative complexity was so great that there were news stories suggesting the tax cut was ineffective. Some of the complaints were just political cheap shots and carping from the losing side, but even supporters of the governor expressed frustration at the difficulty of implementing a three-word slogan. If "No Car Tax" could fit on a bumper sticker, why was it so hard to reduce the actual tax?

The car tax is a property tax, based on the value of the personal property. The 1998 tax on a 10-yrear old Ford Tempo was far less than the tax on a 1997 Honda Civic. Byrd's political decision 70 years earlier to structure the taxes to protect the rural communities complicated Gilmore's efforts to eliminate the car tax. When the state government cut the car tax... it was cutting a tax it did not collect.

Instead, each county and city had its own personal property tax rate for cars. In the first year of the tax cut, the counties/cities had already started to collect their normal property taxes. The state agreed to reimburse the individuals with refunds, but this required the state to calculate the car tax paid on every vehicle and mail a reimbursement check to every taxpayer. Only in the second year of the tax cut (1999) were the counties/cities able to reduce their personal property tax bills in advance. The state government reimbursed the cities and counties, which required far less paperwork than retroactively mailing a refund to a large number of individual citizens.

Of course, local governments could have raised their taxes, so taxpayers would have written the same size of a check in 1999 as they did in 1998. After all, many communities needed a tax increase.

In the economic boom of the 1990's, the federal and state revenues (based heavily on income taxes) climbed as incomes rose. In contrast, real estate values in suburbanizing counties in Tidewater and Northern Virginia, or near Richmond and Charlottesville and Roanoke, have not risen as fast as the need for services from new residents. In some rural counties, as population shrinks and real estate values decline, the local officials have been faced with the need to increase property tax rates to maintain existing service levels - schools, libraries, police, fire... the basics.

No elected official wants to raise local taxes, especially as the news stories report a surplus at the federal and state level and unsophisticated voters assume all taxation authories are able to afford tax cuts. If Virginia's voters had been less attentive to Gilmore's campaign, some communities might have tried to "keep taxes level" rather than actually reduce them. The governor demonstrated throughout his term that he was serious about actually cutting taxes, however, and there was no window of opportunity for local officials to use sleight-of-hand accounting techniques to tap into the revenue that the governor was giving back the taxpayers.

Posted by: RayJay ()
Date: October 29, 2009 10:36AM

Okay but what about Gay tax. Nobody cares about gay tax. We gays get taxed twice. And if the size of our sphynctoral increases they wanna charge us more realestate tax. Not fair I yell you! Well.... At least maybe someone cAn tell me where some new good quality FREE gloryholes are at. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Posted by: Your Name ()
Date: October 29, 2009 01:30PM

JayBee Wrote:
> Personal taxes, or personal property taxes? If you
> are using your car for more than 50% of the time
> for business, then you are not exempt from the car
> tax relief, so you pay in full. If its only used
> for personal, then you get, what, 60% or 80% off.
>
> Paying the taxes on reimbursements? Its counted as
> income. You get a fat check at the end of the
> month for reimbursement expenses, that's income.
> Income is taxed.

You do not pay taxes on reimbursements, as it is not additional income. Reimbursements are issued because the taxpayer has already paid for an expense that would have otherwise been paid by a taxpaying entity.

Posted by: unbelievable ()
Date: September 26, 2010 11:34PM

I unfortunately joined the rank of people who learned for the first time that FAIRFAX is the only place in the world where cars appreciate in value overtime!!!
Yes our family minivan Honda 2008 increased in value. How come it is assessed more than i paid for it? How fair it is to have taxes calculated on a value that i would never get if i were to sell the vehicle?
Who thinks a petition would be useful?

Posted by: Co. Voter ()
Date: September 27, 2010 12:32PM

unbelievable Wrote:
> I unfortunately joined the rank of people who
> learned for the first time that FAIRFAX is the
> only place in the world where cars appreciate in
> value overtime!!!
> Yes our family minivan Honda 2008 increased in
> value. How come it is assessed more than i paid
> for it? How fair it is to have taxes calculated on
> a value that i would never get if i were to sell
> the vehicle?
> Who thinks a petition would be useful?

Go for it. They need to stay in check.

Date: September 27, 2010 02:21PM

unbelievable Wrote:
> value overtime!!!
> the vehicle?
> Who thinks a petition would be useful?

Start the petition! I know someone that can do a website to get it rolling.

Posted by: Co. Voter ()
Date: September 27, 2010 02:47PM

Can we Protest That damm fee that they added ($33.00 per. vehicles) too??
When can we vote for our board of supervisor??

Posted by: county guy ()
Date: September 27, 2010 08:35PM

unbelievable Wrote:
> value overtime!!!
> the vehicle?
>

Just pay your taxes and count your blessings,

you selfish cunt.

Posted by: DonJohn ()
Date: October 03, 2011 02:14PM

Between Arlington and Fairfax county, where is the car property tax higher?

Posted by: taxedtodeath ()
Date: January 14, 2012 03:30AM

There is a way to appeal the assesment of your vehicle ebased on condition, mileage, etc.. i suggest a movement where thousands of us all appeal our assesment and see how the counties/state handle that problem.

Posted by: bluedog ()
Date: January 14, 2012 07:48AM

hmmm interesting, the democratic governor was getting rid of that.

Date: January 14, 2012 09:11AM

Say what?????? Axe the tax was formulated by Jim Gilmore.

-----------------------------------------------

"...your suffering will be legendary even in Hell!"

Posted by: gumby man ()
Date: January 14, 2012 09:26AM

I am ok with more taxes. The fact that people on section 8 live in a better condo than me is cool. My thanks go out to Sharon Bulova and other democrats on the BOS for making this happen.

Posted by: wnrsm ()
Date: January 14, 2012 07:20PM

Section8 people don't pay taxes.

Posted by: Tyjbj ()
Date: January 14, 2012 07:38PM

taxedtodeath Wrote:
> There is a way to appeal the assesment of your
> vehicle ebased on condition, mileage, etc.. i
> suggest a movement where thousands of us all
> appeal our assesment and see how the
> counties/state handle that problem.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta/pdf_files/ppappeal.pdf

Posted by: bosS man ()
Date: January 14, 2012 10:07PM

gumby man Wrote:
> I am ok with more taxes. The fact that people on
> section 8 live in a better condo than me is cool.
> My thanks go out to Sharon Bulova and other
> democrats on the BOS for making this happen.

yer taxes are the biggest bargin in yer life. Just pay and be thankfull.

Posted by: Way to get facts right ()
Date: January 29, 2012 11:12AM

You guys are fuckin idiots. The car tax is a state fund that only goes towards VDOT funding. If you knew anything you would know it was created under a republican governor and continues to be guarded by a republican governor and republican appointed head of VDOT.

Jesus christ this forum has all the fucking idiots in this county doesnt. Why dont you uneducated idiots do us all a favor and commit suicide with your hunting rifles so we can finally make northern virginia better than the rest of this shit hole state.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: January 29, 2012 11:47AM

Way to get facts right Wrote:
> You guys are fuckin idiots. The car tax is a state
> fund that only goes towards VDOT funding. If you
> knew anything you would know it was created under
> a republican governor and continues to be guarded
> by a republican governor and republican appointed
> head of VDOT.
>
> Jesus christ this forum has all the fucking idiots
> in this county doesnt. Why dont you uneducated
> idiots do us all a favor and commit suicide with
> your hunting rifles so we can finally make
> northern virginia better than the rest of this
> shit hole state.

No. Vehicle property taxes are a local tax that is authorized by state law, but which is assessed, collected and spent by the local government. It has been around for decades. In the late 1990s the Virginia state gvoernment was runing surplusses, and Republican Gov. candidate Gilmore ran on the platform of reducing the tax (abolishing it on less valuable vehicles) with the state making up the localities lost revenue. Gilmore won and the law passed. Then Virginia found out that its revenues weren't growing as much as anticipated and that the localities were losing more money than expected. Result was that Virginia capped the amount of money it would reimburse the localities for.

The way the tax works now is that the localities still assess the tax, Virginia pays a portion of the tax to the locality, then the locality collects the rest from the vehicle owner. Look at the tax bill and it will say County of Fairfax, City of Alexandria et. cet. It will also indicate the amount the tax was reduced by the Virginia contribution.

You are confusing the basic car tax which dates from the days when Virginia was a solidly Democratic state with the car tax relief law which was the product of a Republican governor.

FYI VDoT is funded through separate taxes and fees which are administered and collected by the state, The main one being the retail gasoline sales tax.

Posted by: just why? ()
Date: January 29, 2012 12:41PM

Co. Voter Wrote:
> Can we Protest That damm fee that they added
> ($33.00 per. vehicles) too??
> When can we vote for our board of supervisor??

That is the biggest jacking of them all. that fee is bullshit.

Posted by: i suspect a liberal ()
Date: January 29, 2012 01:02PM

Way to get facts right Wrote:
> You guys are fuckin idiots. The car tax is a state
> fund that only goes towards VDOT funding. If you
> knew anything you would know it was created under
> a republican governor and continues to be guarded
> by a republican governor and republican appointed
> head of VDOT.
>
> Jesus christ this forum has all the fucking idiots
> in this county doesnt. Why dont you uneducated
> idiots do us all a favor and commit suicide with
> your hunting rifles so we can finally make
> northern virginia better than the rest of this
> shit hole state.

^^^^^
It conerns me that someone this stupid is probably allowed to vote. Not one dime from the car tax goes to the state. The county keeps every last penny.
If you hate this state so much you should move or is it one of those pesky things where a probation condition requires you to stay here?

Posted by: fo ()
Date: January 29, 2012 01:46PM

Bill.N. Wrote:
> No. Vehicle property taxes are a local tax that
> is authorized by state law, but which is assessed,
> collected and spent by the local government. It
> has been around for decades...

The personal property tax (car tax) goes back centuries. To colonial times, it's one of the oldest taxes there is. Before cars, it was assessed on livestock (pig tax?), furniture (chair tax?), among other things.

Posted by: Hey dickface ()
Date: January 29, 2012 01:51PM

http://www.virginiaplaces.org/taxes/taxcar.html

Great you gave us the National Review and WSJ form of the story now actually pay attention to what really happened. The reason why its viewed as "only a local" tax is because VDOT essentially gave a middle finger to this area in support of more rural projects. A special fund was created in order to address the shortfall of money coming to this area from the state, a source of money btw that as a plurality we as NOVA residents pay to VDOT through gas/sales tax, vehicles sales registry taxes, and YES if you go past the one level of bullshit, the car tax also.

The reason why this areas car tax is high is because this area and VDOT dont get along. You can say well why dont we get along better, but at the end of the day the reason is because central virginia is Republican and northern virginia is democrat.

So fuck you and the rest of virginia, if it werent for this county, loudoun, and prince william the rest of the state would be as shitty as kentucky and north carolina.

If you can't afford your car tax maybe you should question whether you have picked the right priorities in your life or vote for a democratic state leadership who would stop unfairly supporting areas of backwater virginia instead of the economic heart of the region.

You are a filthy gunpowder sniffing douchebag cunt faced redneck who probably doesn't have any science or logic skills and thats likely why you can't afford to live in this area. If you dont like it, go live in your precious central virginia fuck face and stop whining to those of us who actually produce something for society by being entrepreneurs and technically savvy.

Posted by: kid dynomite ()
Date: January 29, 2012 01:54PM

you mad bro?

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.