HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Need recommendations for day care
Posted by: kbreen ()
Date: May 07, 2013 10:38PM

Hi,
I''m very likely moving to Fairfax from NY this summer and looking for recommendations for day care facilities. I will need a place that opens before 9 am, as I'm an elementary school teacher.

Thank you for helping me to narrow my long distance search.
-Kristy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need recommendations for day care
Posted by: Like Where? ()
Date: May 07, 2013 10:39PM

Might want to try to narrow that down to a particular area(s).

Posted by: Que? ()
Date: May 07, 2013 11:15PM

Raise your own kids. That way, if they end up fucked up you have no one to blame but yourself.

I realize that sometimes assistance is necessary. However, I've seen far too many times where mom/dad stays home and STILL sends kids to daycare/nanny/etc. bullshit.

Raise your own kids.

Posted by: Need More Info ()
Date: May 07, 2013 11:30PM

Ignore the idiots here. As a practical matter, you really need to focus on a particular geographical area within this very large county. Your day care will be defined by that, especially since traffic around here is horrific. The right place also depends in part on the age of your child and whether they offer pickup at your child's school. I hope you recognize that daycare around here is not inexpensive. Actually, nothing around here is inexpensive.

If you can narrow down your geographical area, you might get some useful responses here. If not, try city-data. Good luck.

Posted by: b ()
Date: May 08, 2013 05:32AM

Try the Forums page on DC Urban Moms and Dads:
http://www.dcurbanmom.com/jforum/forums/list.page

Posted by: gambit ()
Date: May 08, 2013 07:43AM

Down here in dc we have the gambit from private day care to corporate run Kinder Kare types. Best to narrow down your search for this forum. Once you know your area or better yet subdivision check facebook and Yahoo groups for that subdivisions page. The people on those forums are real and often helpful.

Your odds of abuse from the rif raf here are as you see very high.

Posted by: NovaGirl4 ()
Date: May 08, 2013 08:18AM

We had a wonderful experience with KinderCare. Some centers are better than others though, so look around.

Posted by: ondrva ()
Date: May 08, 2013 05:41PM

How about those that need night/weekend care? (like say 4-12pm 7 days a week)? Not all of us work 9-5 m-f.

Posted by: Not Easy ()
Date: May 08, 2013 05:54PM

ondrva Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about those that need night/weekend care?
> (like say 4-12pm 7 days a week)? Not all of us
> work 9-5 m-f.

That's a tough one. Your best bet is probably a home-based provider, maybe a high school kid (if your kids are old enough to be entrusted to a high schooler). Check with the neighbors. You might have a neighborhood directory of kids who provide services.

Posted by: Scott D ()
Date: May 08, 2013 07:07PM

Teddy Bear Day Care University Mall(Braddock and Ox Road 123) is good. Also Sparkles Day Care on Lee Highway near the Fairfax County Parkway.

Posted by: lop ()
Date: May 08, 2013 07:12PM

If they are school age and you are going to be teaching in FCPS, pupil place them to the school you're teaching at.

Date: May 08, 2013 08:33PM

Thanks for the useful recommendations. We're thinking of around Fairfax City or Burke. There's a chance I might be teaching in Mantua, so we could consider that area too.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: May 08, 2013 08:43PM

If she's from NYC (not sure) nothing will seem expensive here!

Posted by: Nova mom ()
Date: May 08, 2013 10:34PM

If you end up in the Burke area, try Kiddie Country. There are two locations in Burke. Both of my children went there and I have nothing but positive things to say about the center. They are open early but don't take kids until they are two years of age.

Date: May 09, 2013 08:27PM

Thanks Nova Mom. Will do. And yes, from NYC.

Posted by: Another Recommendation ()
Date: May 09, 2013 10:00PM

We were very happy with University View - the daycare facility that is affiliated with the Salvation Army on 123 next to University Mall (it's near Burke). It's been about ten years, but they prided themselves on the longevity of their staff (unlike the turnover in most places) and the fact that their teachers all had degrees. It was affordable and my son was happy there. Highly recommended.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.