HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
My Electronic Policy at Fairfax HS
Posted by: Goldfarb ()
Date: May 02, 2013 06:43PM

Since I value my staff so much, I will let them implement the policy instead of me leading by example....

Electronic Devices Policy (effective May 6, 2013)

Starting Monday, May 6, we will experiment with a different electronic devices policy at our school. We have seen many of you use your electronic devices responsibly, and there have been few incidents caused by students using their devices during the school day. Starting Monday, students will be able to use their electronic devices in areas that are not classrooms. We will stop using the red, yellow, and green zones marked on posters throughout the building. Students may use their devices in the hallways throughout the school day.

There are some rules that we expect all students to follow when using devices in the hallway. First, no phone calls. Should you ever need to use a phone during the school day, there are phones in classrooms and offices that you can use. Second, you cannot take pictures or videos of any FHS student or staff without their consent. Taking pictures or videos of a negative nature, such as a fight in a hallway, and posting or distributing such pictures or videos is prohibited. Being part of our school community means keeping our reputation positive – the reputation as a school and the reputation of every single person in our community. As a family, we take care of one another and view every member of our family positively.

Those are the new rules for use in the hallways. When you step in a classroom, you follow the rules of that teacher. When you enter a classroom, the device should be turned off and put away, and ear buds or headphones should be put away as well. Should a teacher believe a student is using an electronic device without permission, the teacher will confiscate the device and turn it in to your subschool. Refusal to hand over a device, like not following any other direction from a staff member, is insubordination and is a violation that often results in a suspension. Not following the rules of the teacher – whether the teacher is a staff member or a substitute – is disrespectful.

This new policy is an experiment starting on Monday. It can be reversed, and it could also become a policy for next year. What we decide will largely be determined by you, the students. We go forward with this experiment, even though we have some concerns.
One concern is that students will be further distracted by their phones and devices. This will take discipline, and we believe it is a valuable habit to develop focus when it is needed most. A second concern is cheating. Should a teacher create different rules for your devices on test days, you are expected to follow those rules. A third concern is safety in the hallways. It is important that you pay attention to yourself and others in the hallway. Our school is overcrowded, and it is important that you are alert to what is going on around you, even if texting or listening to music.

May 6 begins testing for AP students, and we have many different high-stakes tests over the remainder of the school year. There are strict testing conditions which prohibit electronic devices being on in the testing environment. Make sure you do not jeopardize anyone’s opportunities by not following these strict rules.

Again, our new policy will begin Monday, May 6. We believe that you can live by these new rules responsibly. We believe that you can meet our high expectations.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Electronic Policy at Fairfax HS
Posted by: NO U CANT ()
Date: May 02, 2013 07:15PM

GET AWAY FROM FAIRFAX UNDERGROUND U SUCK

Posted by: maria p ()
Date: May 02, 2013 07:27PM

I gradauted from that high school back in 2007. I wish you where there when I was there. We had to hide our phones even in the cafeteria. we could only text and talk in the bathroom. I am happy and you're a good principal keep up the good work.

Posted by: Don'tbuyit ()
Date: May 02, 2013 08:52PM

I call total BS by OP. This does not sound like a Goldfarb move, nor is it his writing style.

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: May 02, 2013 09:22PM

John Goldfarb, Please Come Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_nK7GUjSvU

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2013 09:25PM by Priapus.

Posted by: funn y ()
Date: May 02, 2013 10:00PM

Don'tbuyit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I call total BS by OP. This does not sound like a
> Goldfarb move, nor is it his writing style.

it will be funny if this is fake and some student use their phone and they are like but it was on the fairfax underground

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.