HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Two-thirds of TJ class of 2017 is Asian
Posted by: Ben Bernanke ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:16PM

Of the 480 new admittees to the TJHSST class of 2017, 66% is Asian.

Whatsamatter? You white kids don't study anymore? Too busy on Facebook and Twitter. Too busy being chauffeured by mommy and daddy to soccer practice and lacrosse games. Haning out at A&F and the food court at the mall. Next year, we are aiming for 75%.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Two-thirds of TJ class of 2017 is Asian
Posted by: tj parent ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:19PM

Ben Bernanke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Of the 480 new admittees to the TJHSST class of
> 2017, 66% is Asian.
>
> Whatsamatter? You white kids don't study anymore?
> Too busy on Facebook and Twitter. Too busy being
> chauffeured by mommy and daddy to soccer practice
> and lacrosse games. Haning out at A&F and the
> food court at the mall. Next year, we are aiming
> for 75%.

Yes to soccer and A&F. That's why TJ soccer is awful this year. The girls are always awful but the boys are usually good.

looking 4 lynx
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:22PM

say OP - you just pulling that number out yr ass of you have something that will back you up and not make you look like the trolling asswipe you seem to be?

Posted by: Bill Pullman ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:23PM

Time for affirmative action for whitey.

Re: looking 4 lynx
Posted by: Will Thomas ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:24PM

Gordon Blvd Wrote:
> say OP - you just pulling that number out yr ass
> of you have something that will back you up and
> not make you look like the trolling asswipe you
> seem to be?

Yeah, not like you GB. You never troll. LOL
Attachments:
pot-kettle.jpg

Posted by: TJ is overrated ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:25PM

TJ, just like every other FCPS school, is overrated. Hell, their most distinguished alumnus is a dude that George Allen called macaca. I'll continue to send my kids to schools that produce CEOs and world leaders.

Posted by: TJ Parent ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:26PM

http://commweb.fcps.edu/newsreleases/newsrelease.cfm?newsid=2216

click on the link at the bottom to look at the detailed stats

Posted by: joe45 ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:29PM

Maybe it's under representation of blacks and hispanics that should be concerning.

Posted by: J. B. Stoner ()
Date: April 11, 2013 03:35PM

Colleges use legacy (alumni) and development (endowment) admissions as loopholes (affirmative action) to admit rich, unqualified white students. Maybe Fairfax County parents and politicians need to contrive some loophole to ensure that OUR students are represented.

Posted by: iodine ()
Date: April 11, 2013 04:10PM

As long as they stay in the US and contribute to this great country - why is this a problem?

Posted by: Adam Smith ()
Date: April 11, 2013 04:23PM

Ben Bernanke Wrote:
> 2017, 66% is Asian.
>

Asians voted 76% for Obama. Now as a group, Asians seem to be hardworking and successful - why vote for a guy who wants to attack success and tax away your earning to give it to the people you are on here mocking? Strange.

Posted by: Rick Shaw ()
Date: April 11, 2013 04:30PM

I wouldnt care if it was 100% as long as they took only the best. But of course with all good things liberals must seek its demise. FCPS is now trying to diversify the school which translates into watering down the entrance requirements for the sake of political correctness.

Posted by: Bill.N. ()
Date: April 11, 2013 05:04PM

Rick Shaw Wrote:
> I wouldnt care if it was 100% as long as they took
> only the best. But of course with all good things
> liberals must seek its demise. FCPS is now trying
> to diversify the school which translates into
> watering down the entrance requirements for the
> sake of political correctness.

Entrance requirements were watered down long ago, and for reasons other than diversity. The embarrassing announcement of the large number of TJ students requiring remediation a couple of years back was an admission that TJ was using the wrong criteria to determine admissions. The remediation numbers couldn't be blamed on affirmative action or social engineering, because the total number of blacks, hispanics and low income students made up only a fraction of the total number of students requiring remediation.

Posted by: Parental Opinion ()
Date: April 11, 2013 05:26PM

The REAL problem here is the statistical categories themselves - "race" is the falsest of False Science and never should be used by anyone, much less someone trying to make a legitimate point about ANYTHING.

A better set of categories might be "single parent" or "parents involved on a daily basis with the kids' schoolwork" or even "income level" or perhaps "parent education level" or "guardian education level" or...you get the idea - REAL verifiable features of the environment the kids are in.

We are ALL "mixed race" simply because there is NO valid measure of "race" in the first place.

(oh, you like NOSE SIZE as a measure?...pure crap)

FCPS should simply STOP trying to define ANYTHING by "race"...unfortunately, that would probably require change at both the State and Federal level...sigh...maybe someday within my lifetime.

(I have about 5 neighbors-with-kids within spitting distance...one family is headed by Korean/"caucasian" parents, one by Japanese/Taiwanese, one by Phillipino/"caucasian", one is "hispanic"/"caucasian", and one is "vietnamese"/"caucasian" with the "vietnamese" parent having Vietnamese, French, and Chinese heritage within one or two generations. So...what is the race of these families' kids?...pure crap - and how about our Prez - what "race" is he REALLY if we ignore the political correctness he HAD to adhere to...pure crap)

So STOP designating addmitance to TJ - or WHEREEVER - by the ridiculous False Science "race" categories and substitute something MUCH more valid as above - THEN publish the results - good guidelines for those who might try to get in at a future date.

Posted by: Young Curmudgeon ()
Date: April 11, 2013 07:06PM

The skewed statistic is the result of one thing, poor parenting. Julia and Tyler have their helicopter parents stepping in to fix anything that goes wrong. They have poor grades, but since we have to be nice to everyone, they're good students as well.

Phong and Chiang don't have helicopter parents. They fix their own problems. They understand the value of education.

We don't value education in this country. We elevate idiots like the Kardashians and every single athlete to a god like status. What's the motivation for the average kid?

Posted by: Stats ()
Date: April 11, 2013 07:18PM

Fewer Asians applied to TJ this year than last year, so don't be so sure that more Asian kids aren't doing the Twitter/Facebook/Abercrombie thing.

Posted by: Stabitha ()
Date: April 11, 2013 07:27PM

More Asians means more happy ending massage parlors!

Posted by: SamSungBungBung ()
Date: April 11, 2013 09:16PM

Adam Smith Wrote:
> Ben Bernanke Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Of the 480 new admittees to the TJHSST class of
> > 2017, 66% is Asian.
> >
>
> Asians voted 76% for Obama. Now as a group,
> Asians seem to be hardworking and successful - why
> vote for a guy who wants to attack success and tax
> away your earning to give it to the people you are
> on here mocking? Strange.

I'll tell you why: Republicans are fucking idiots, that's why. Let me explain. I'm Asian-American, proud of both, but American first and foremost. I'm educated, upper-middle class, come from a family of over-achieving, business-minded people. I've seen the value of hard work and the tremendous success one can achieve in this country if one works hard and has ambition. I've seen the American Dream, and I'm less sympathetic than most when it comes to being bound to your lot in life. In other words, I'm a natural Republican. And what does the Republican Party in VA do? Makes itself hostile to people like me because I'm not white. They talk about illegal immigrants like they're the plague (mind you, I don't like illegal immigration either, but I sure as shit respect the people coming over here to make a better life for themselves...um, like every American immigrant has tried to do since 1607). When it comes to Asians, the Republicans have screwed the pooch. They better figure it out or I'm going to start voting Libertarian.

Posted by: T ()
Date: April 12, 2013 10:18AM

@Parental Opinion: Race is indeed a false category; but culture is not. TJ's and Moon's huge failure is having cultivated an environment excelling in academics but lacking in diversity, Moon simply to benefit his own cultural community. He's one of those S.B. Woo disciples, narrowly focused on Asian success without considering the complexities of the Asian community or the value of cultural diversity. Students both Asian and white who go through TJ will find themselves unprepared to bridge gaps with blacks and Hispanics; and increasingly likely, Asian students there will be unprepared to even communicate with white colleagues in college and in the workplace.

@Young Curmudgeon: Don't think for a minute that Chinese moms can't be helicopter parents. I'd love to hear a frank opinion on this matter from an actual teacher or school principal.

@Stats: Highly possible that there is a calculation going on: I can be a small fish at TJ, or I can be a valedictorian at my regular high school. Or, Asian students and parents might be waking up to the absurdity of what the extreme achievement circuit has become and are starting to mellow out.

Posted by: ahhhh, race ()
Date: April 12, 2013 10:40AM

Parental opinion - your vision of not having race matter is a nice thought. I agree with it.

But don't kid yourself. Race really matters. Schools, governments (including the Department of Educations) and administrators all over the country are obsessed with race. Virtually every significant education decision made takes into consideration the sizeable achievement gap between Asians and Whites, on one hand, and Blacks and Hispanics on the other. The Black achievement gap is a particular focus of the Government education industry - the gap has widened since 1988 despite the billions which have been spent. And frankly, there are any number of people who really dislike TJ because of the very low number of black students who matriculate. My view is that the causes are mostly beyond the reach of teachers and the public schools, but of course, the schools can't say it.

To T's point that so many Asians are not culturally diverse, I am not sure that is explicated quite correctly. First, TJ is not a place to go if you scrape into the school - it is way too competitive - and test prep, intensive training in middle school - they don't make sense in the long run. TJ is only a place to go if you have the goods. My own perception is that some of the Asian kids are pushed there by their parents - that is not a helpful thing for them. Second, I am not sure that these kids suffer because they will lack cultural diversity. The colleges to which they matriculate indoctrinate the students with so many diversity shibboleths they would have to be blind and dumb not to pick up on tenets of diversity. What I do find from observation is that the TJ students are very, very good at school. This of course isn't anything but a positive, but at some point for most being good at school matters less and less. My own employer hires from only top 20 schools and even then, from only the top of the class. It is a struggle to get them off the school mode when they come on board, persuading them that even in highly analytic fields that it is vitally important to treat people well and to learn to close and resolve issues with people in a way that inculcates deep trust. Organization and a keen sense of anticipation counts too. Schools don't do a very good job of teaching these things (not sure that is a knock on the schools, it is just that schools have a limited utility), and it is easy to lose the concept that being a "do'er" matters above all else.

Posted by: Parental Opinion ()
Date: April 12, 2013 11:31AM

Note that FCPS and probably others consider Near East Asians to be "Asians" as well as Far East Asian - that is, those from, say, India, are considered "Asians".

So when you folks out there who have a (wrong) mental image of the "Asian" population of TJ, think again.

========

To the two who responded to my rant about the False Science idea of "race"...I tried to address the CORRECT Real Science of "culture" with the "try some other categorization methodology" words and also sighed at the unfortunate fact that WAY too many government institutions have WAY too much skin (giggle) in the game of "race" to get rid of that stupidity anytime soon.

Date: April 12, 2013 12:20PM

"...it is vitally important to treat people well and to learn to close and resolve issues with people in a way that inculcates deep trust."

Well said.

I fear that TJ students graduate with a sense that they "have the goods" as you say, while others do not. Even in this forum, self-proclaimed TJ students have opined that some are simply born with mental acuity while others are not. That's the kind of cultural/ethnic chauvinism that Lee Kuan Yew and Mahathir Mohamad used to preach. That students leave TJ with such attitudes intact tells me that such an excellent specialty high school of science and technology may create good scientists and mathematicians, but not particularly good thinkers. If I were a local business leader, I would strongly encourage the school board to work harder in addressing the problem of diversity at this school. If I were a school board member, I certainly would not celebrate such an imbalance of enrollment, as Moon has done, especially when it gives such an impression of conflict of interest.

Posted by: seriously2 ()
Date: April 12, 2013 03:02PM

Am I the only one who sees the fallacy with the logic put forth by T...

Moon is East Asian
TJ is comprised mostly of Asians
Moon is responsible and there exists an impression of conflict of interest

I don't agree with Moon on most issues, but let's at least pretend to be fair. He has nothing\little to do with admissions at TJ.

The fact that Asians are over represented at TJ is quite simple - they work harder to get in than non-Asians. Instead of belittling and demeaning them, why not recognize that whatever they're doing works and perhaps make changes to the way we parent if indeed that's your goal (i.e., get into TJ).

Posted by: serjously3 ()
Date: April 12, 2013 03:13PM

When we caucasions are surprised to find out that TJ is comprised mostly of Asians, many of us inevitably resort to this line of thinking... "just because Asians do well in school doesn't mean that they'll amount to anything. My kids will be CEO and they will end up working for them because they only know how to do well in school but have crappy personalities and can't think outside the box". This type of thinking is quite pervasive.

Next time you talk to a TJ parent, ask if they believe that all asians do is study but don't participate in sports or seek to be officers in student gov't. You might be surprised and rethink the narrow view you have of them.

Posted by: noprepp ()
Date: April 12, 2013 03:50PM

serjously3 Wrote:
> When we caucasions are surprised to find out that
> TJ is comprised mostly of Asians, many of us
> inevitably resort to this line of thinking...
> "just because Asians do well in school doesn't
> mean that they'll amount to anything. My kids
> will be CEO and they will end up working for them
> because they only know how to do well in school
> but have crappy personalities and can't think
> outside the box". This type of thinking is quite
> pervasive.
>
> Next time you talk to a TJ parent, ask if they
> believe that all asians do is study but don't
> participate in sports or seek to be officers in
> student gov't. You might be surprised and rethink
> the narrow view you have of them.

Of course they participate in sports and student gov't. Gotta tick off those boxes for the college app. All the paid test preppers will tell you that.

Posted by: ahhhh race ()
Date: April 12, 2013 04:42PM

Serjously3 - I am a parent of a former TJ student - one who was at the top of the class and went on to a college typical of those in the top 5% of TJ's class. Not of Asian descent either. I know of what you speak. I do think the kids at TJ have diverse interests and certainly engage in extracurricular activities of all kinds. But the school can inculcate both a narrow sense of achievement and entitlement, and while I applaud TJ and its students, it would be negligent not to mention that caution should be in order about the perils of having an unduly narrow perspective and sense of entitlement. And the TJ challenges increase with students who just "get in" to TJ after being pushed to it by their parents. The attitude does them no favors when they almost invariably land at UVa - which the bulk of them in this subgroup do - a school that they would have been admitted to and attended had they chosen their base high schools. I might add they the students in this subgroup are exceedingly well prepared for UVA, but attitude counts. Once on the right set of railroad tracks, attitudinally and otherwise, you have to stay on them.

These are relatively low order problems as far as our educational system goes. But since our best and brightest produce so much and put so much productivity into our economy, a reminder that success is often a fragile balance between ego and humility certainly is sensible.

Posted by: seriously4 ()
Date: April 12, 2013 05:07PM

Noprep, how perceptive.

Yes, kids who are active outside academics are appealing to colleges. You don't need a test prepper to tell you this... all kids and parents know this to be true unless you live in a cave.

Yes, kids who study for standardized exams - TJ, SAT, ACT - probably do better than those who don't. Most certainly won't hurt. Again, common sense if you ask me.

Yes, improving your writing skills for the essay portion of these exams will also help. Don't consult a test prepper and just trust me on this.

At the end of the day, it appears to me that many Asian kids are improving skills which are measurable and are known to be important for admissions. Those on here who are implying that these kids should somehow be penalized for doing what they know may help them is ludicrous. If anyone is waiting for TJ admissions to say "I know you didn't do jack in terms of extra-curicular activities, i know you're grades are sub-par and your test scores are so-so, but I can see through all this nonsense and see that you'll do well because you are a natural who hasn't been prepped\nudged\guided", you might be waiting for a very long time.

Date: April 12, 2013 07:25PM

seriously2/3: You seem to be assuming that I am not Asian. :)

Of course, hard work will win rewards. I think the normal standards of what constitutes "hard work" has really been extended in recent years by the newer Asian arrivals. It isn't that the others aren't working hard, it's just that what they thought constituted "working hard" has turned out not to be hard enough. In my opinion, many Asians are overdoing it. It's kind of like when the new kid comes to the party and does this awesome breakdance. Everybody else gets kind of turned off by that and may be inclined to just go away and let him have his own party.

I like Fairfax County. I don't want to see it become a striated society of ethnically-based achievement groups. I do think it is bad form for Ilryong Moon to celebrate such an imbalanced ethnic makeup at TJHSST, rather than (or at least without also) acknowledging that the Board and the community need to work much harder to prepare underachieving students for success.

Regarding Moon's involvement in TJ admissions: of course he doesn't influence admissions... I hope not, at least. But he does promote TJ in Korea, and from what I hear, helps Korean consultants advise Korean families on how to best prepare their children for TJ. Of course, a Korean primary education is excellent preparation for TJ already. Isn't that sad? Shouldn't an FCPS education be excellent preparation for TJ?

So tell me, starting with conception, precisely what are Asian parents around here actually doing to give their children the confidence to achieve, and to motivate them through the rigors of the Fairfax County school system? Let's see the playbook, don't just keep it in the Asian community; share it around.

Posted by: JonJingleheimer ()
Date: April 12, 2013 08:07PM

Given the racial spoils system this country now embraces, and no doubt every well-trained FCPS admin/teacher espouses, why would you expect people don't cheer for their own race? You categorize, reward and label according to race, race, race. Yet we're shocked, SIMPLY SHOCKED, that people root for the color of their own skin. Pu-lease.

Posted by: yourmom ()
Date: April 12, 2013 09:18PM

This isn't a big surprise...Asians are usually smart, hard-working, and have great credit. (And no...I'm not Asian...although I do fit all of these characteristics along w/ a large cock, unlike most Asian men).

Date: April 12, 2013 11:43PM

So here are some concepts that Moon and the rest of the Board could help promote across the whole student population, if they truly want to see better achievement across the whole student population:

http://www.parentingscience.com/chinese-parenting.html

The title is "Chinese Parenting," but as the article points out, "authoritative parenting" is not unique to China or to Asia. It's really a back to basics message.

This thread really out to be merged with "Ilyong Moon Cheers TJ Admissions Results."

Posted by: Well Well ()
Date: April 13, 2013 12:03AM

Wonder why these phukkers are here anyway? Why are their own countries such filthy corrupt cesspools if they are all so phukkin wonderful? Whatsamadda? Too cowardly too confront the corruption of your own countries?

Posted by: Roughbook ()
Date: April 13, 2013 12:24AM

HEY BEN BERNANKE == == Subject and verb agreement !!!

Grammar error !!!!!!! Grammar error !!!!!

YOU SAID " 66% is Asian. "

but since the antecendant quantifier in the first part of the sentence is PLURAL : "460 new admittees", then the verb must also be PLURAL, hence you should have said :

" 66% ARE Asian."

You would have not made such a grammatical error in your statement if you had graduated from a school as good as TJ. ( Or if you were Asian...)

Posted by: Math Fail ()
Date: April 13, 2013 12:27AM

How could 66% of 480 be Asian?
66% of 480 = 316.8
So which student is only 8 tenths Asian?

Posted by: buttman ()
Date: April 14, 2013 12:06AM

Ben Bernanke Wrote:
> 2017, 66% is Asian.
>
> Whatsamatter? You white kids don't study anymore?
> Too busy on Facebook and Twitter. Too busy being
> chauffeured by mommy and daddy to soccer practice
> and lacrosse games. Haning out at A&F and the
> food court at the mall. Next year, we are aiming
> for 75%.

good for them. they deserve it; they work much harder.

i doubt, however, that TJ is admitting the right students. test scores just prove who works the hardest, who took the right prep-classes, who cares the most about things like getting in TJ. hard working drones often aren't the best and brightest.

Posted by: not two turds ()
Date: April 14, 2013 12:07AM

Two thirds is more than 66% anyway.

its closer to 66.666666%

Posted by: Jim Baake ()
Date: April 14, 2013 09:25AM

not two turds Wrote:
> Two thirds is more than 66% anyway.
>
> its closer to 66.666666%

But there is another 3.8 percent "mixed race." You can bet those are almost all mixed race Asians.

TJ admitted 5 black students. 5. That's 1.0% of the class. Fairax County is 9% black. Obviously the school system is failing them.

Posted by: KR ()
Date: April 14, 2013 09:31AM

Any chance for kids who are at the top of wait pool list.

Posted by: Dean Martin ()
Date: April 14, 2013 09:43AM

buttman Wrote:
> Ben Bernanke Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Of the 480 new admittees to the TJHSST class of
> > 2017, 66% is Asian.
> >
> > Whatsamatter? You white kids don't study
> anymore?
> > Too busy on Facebook and Twitter. Too busy
> being
> > chauffeured by mommy and daddy to soccer
> practice
> > and lacrosse games. Haning out at A&F and the
> > food court at the mall. Next year, we are
> aiming
> > for 75%.
>
> good for them. they deserve it; they work much
> harder.
>
> i doubt, however, that TJ is admitting the right
> students. test scores just prove who works the
> hardest, who took the right prep-classes, who
> cares the most about things like getting in TJ.
> hard working drones often aren't the best and
> brightest.

Let's look at the telling admissions rate stats.

Overall 3121 students applied. 480 were accepted 15% admit rate.

Applied. Admitted. Admit rate
Overall. 3121. 480. 15%

Asians: 1420. 317. 22%
Whites. 1078. 123. 8.76%
Hispanic. 317. 22. 6%
Black. 199. 5. 2%

Posted by: Preedle ()
Date: April 14, 2013 09:40PM

TJ should be open only to Caucasians and Asians. The school would do fine without negroes and hispanics them. Just fine.

Posted by: Grammar Wuss ()
Date: April 14, 2013 10:36PM

HEY ROUGHBOOK...

antecendant is wrong, like you

antecedent is right, like me

Posted by: tj star ()
Date: April 18, 2013 09:47PM

What are you people, even saying only Republicans would increase your taxes not Obama, and TJ is the best ranked school on the East Coast at least. Overall, we have the best Quizbowl team, Swim Team, Model UN, and many other academic and athletic teams.

Posted by: Asian ()
Date: April 18, 2013 11:07PM

"Asian" is not a race. Anyone with heritage from the continent of Asia, including the Indian subcontinent is rightfully "Asian" That is many different races, including Caucasians. The native people of Turkey, Armenia, Georgia, India, Philippines, Burma, China, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Japan are all "Asians" but are of numerous races.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.