HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Finally! Metro to Centreville!
Posted by: FUNdamental ()
Date: April 01, 2013 02:01PM

The Northern Virginia Metrorail Extension Act (H.R. 907), which specifically cites the idea of extending the Orange line into Centreville, has passed the House of Representatives,and a Senate version will be drafted in the coming weeks. The bill also calls for extending the yellow line along the Route One corridor and the blue line along the I-95 corridor to Woodbridge.

“Residents in Prince William and western Fairfax County already experience some of the longest commutes in the nation, and these communities will experience continued growth,” Connolly said in a press release. “We need solutions that take cars off the roads and provide viable transportation alternatives for our citizens."

If signed by the President, the Orange Line could be in Centreville as early as 2017.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finally! Metro to Centreville!
Posted by: Jabba Hut ()
Date: April 01, 2013 02:10PM

April Frickin Foolywang.

Posted by: i wish ()
Date: April 01, 2013 02:21PM

i wish it were true. unfortunately ain't no one got $$$$$ for that shit.

Posted by: RydellRoad ()
Date: April 01, 2013 02:23PM

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/hr907

Prognosis:
4% chance of getting past committee.
1% chance of being enacted.

Posted by: WOW!!!! ()
Date: April 01, 2013 03:24PM

Shit ain't going to happen. There is no land in Centreville to place a Metro Station even if it was just a Metro Rail stop with no parking there still isn't any land so this thread is BULLSHIT!!!!

Posted by: Nope ()
Date: April 01, 2013 03:30PM

No chance. That project would be insanely expensive.

If they wanted to run the Metro to Centreville they should have done it 20 years ago. Too late now.

Posted by: Now and Then ()
Date: April 01, 2013 03:53PM

WOW!!!! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shit ain't going to happen. There is no land in
> Centreville to place a Metro Station even if it
> was just a Metro Rail stop with no parking there
> still isn't any land so this thread is
> BULLSHIT!!!!

Near 66 on the other side of Route 29, its all wasted space. Saw that forest down and pave over it. Prime Metro land. LOL

Posted by: Gerry ComMan ()
Date: April 01, 2013 03:55PM

WOW!!!! Wrote:
> BULLSHIT!!!!

No it isn't. Just shut up and pay your taxes you peasant!

Posted by: Dont be silly ()
Date: April 01, 2013 04:24PM

WOW!!!! Wrote:
> BULLSHIT!!!!

The land issue isnt a problem. You think there was tons of land available in Tysons corner? NO, there wasnt, the state took what it wanted at a fair market value.

Posted by: Toby's Keeper ()
Date: April 01, 2013 06:52PM

DC and PG Niggers comming to your street to steal and jump on the train back to New Carroltin YESSSS!!!

Posted by: Black to the future ()
Date: April 01, 2013 08:32PM

Toby's Keeper Wrote:
> DC and PG Niggers comming to your street to steal
> and jump on the train back to New Carroltin
> YESSSS!!!

It's called a "nigger hauler" for a reason.

Posted by: GeezerDude ()
Date: April 01, 2013 08:35PM

They already had plans.. trashed them for the Dulles line.. Track was to be on sticks down the center of I-66..

No $$$

Posted by: Bob Bruhns ()
Date: June 12, 2013 06:12AM

NO. The financial disaster of the Dulles Rail / Silver Line should have taught us all a lesson: start with BUS, and graduate to rail when that becomes appropriate.

Put a temporary bus road into the dedicated right of way where the train will eventually go, run the bus on that, and build up those population and business centers. When the ACTUAL ridership (not the estimates, which are always made-to-order) gets to the point where bus will not be able to sustain it, THEN convert to rail. In real terms, this will happen in steps of about 3 miles each.

THAT WAY, you pay as you go, instead of running up the debt until you choke the whole region with the debt and payments for generations, as we are already seeing with the Dulles Rail / Silver Line. We are already bailing it out with $300 million in FY2014, just so that the Dulles Toll Road tolls don't rise quite as much as planned, for a few years, And then, much more will be needed to keep those tolls below an explosion point. And this rail line hasn't even OPENED yet!

Use your heads, people. Don't fall for nonsense from pen name ghosts from some public relations company. Don't sell your great-grandchildrentinto debt slavery for this nonsense! And don't dedicate your entire region's economy to fund a bank!

Start with BUS, build a BASE, and THEN upgrade to rail in the same dedicated rights of way as the BUS used. SIMPLE!!!

Posted by: Mr GFR ()
Date: June 13, 2013 12:06AM

So if you put a bus lane in, build the base that is dependent upon this bus lane, and then build the metro in the bus lane once the base has been built up. I follow you and it sounds good but I have a question. What does the built up base that is now dependent on the bus lane then use when the bus lane is taken away while building the metro?

Metro to Haymarket
Posted by: Fairfax Boy ()
Date: June 13, 2013 11:02AM

When the Orange line opened the Vienna station in 1986 many people brought up the fact that traffic on I-66 was getting bad. It was also brought up that the areas of Centreville and Manassas would experience strong growth in population over the next 5 years. The planners knew we would be in trouble in 1986 and ignored the suggestion to build Metro out to Manassas or Haymarket. 27 years later all we have is gridlock on I-66 seven days a week.

Posted by: Rob Dyer ()
Date: June 13, 2013 11:09AM

This is a "shovel ready" project that was being discussed when I moved to Centreville in 1987. I-66 is a commuter highway that has been expanded to its limits and continues to be a slow rush hour commute. I think the extension to just Centreville is a bit short sighted. It would seem that I-66 and VA 234 intersection would be the needed extension point. Stops and parking located at US 50 / Fairfax Cty. Govt / Fair Oaks & Fairfax Malls, Stringfellow Rd Park&Ride, I-66 and VA 28 (Centreville), I-66 and VA 234, and I-66 and VA 234 (Prince William Parkway). This would be about 20 miles of rail well placed for current and future growth. Whatever the cost, subtract the cost of four more lanes down I-66. Imagine I will be hearing this discussion 20 years from now should I live so long.

Posted by: Silverstar ()
Date: June 13, 2013 01:24PM

The silver line will take care of most of the traffic problems on I-66. People will use the silver line instead of driving to the Vienna station. Just wait and see.

Posted by: McMansion ()
Date: June 13, 2013 03:17PM

Shut the fuck up. Why do I have to pay so you can live in a McMansion? You want to buy big, buy far, then fucking suck it up and endure traffic.

Posted by: snowdenscold ()
Date: June 13, 2013 03:58PM

Silverstar Wrote:
> The silver line will take care of most of the
> traffic problems on I-66. People will use the
> silver line instead of driving to the Vienna
> station. Just wait and see.

There are still major slow-downs on I-66 west of Vienna, and not all of them are related to getting to/from the Vienna metro stop.

How many people who will get on the Silver Line actually currently travel up I-66 to get to Nutley?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2013 04:00PM by snowdenscold.

Posted by: Route66 ()
Date: June 13, 2013 04:47PM

snowdenscold Wrote:
> Silverstar Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The silver line will take care of most of the
> > traffic problems on I-66. People will use the
> > silver line instead of driving to the Vienna
> > station. Just wait and see.
>
>
> There are still major slow-downs on I-66 west of
> Vienna, and not all of them are related to getting
> to/from the Vienna metro stop.
>
> How many people who will get on the Silver Line
> actually currently travel up I-66 to get to
> Nutley?

Most of the South Riding people do.

Posted by: Weodd Abebeitsaboy ()
Date: November 12, 2015 09:17AM

It's true. they proposed Legislation back in 2013. It's uh coming. Everyone has to get mad enough about it and it will happen. Trust me. Stand up people and shout out 66 traffic no! solved by Metro!

http://patch.com/virginia/centreville/could-metrorail-extend-orange-line-to-centreville

Bobbert

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: November 12, 2015 09:28AM

The old Bell Atlantic garage/storeroom was located on land leased, which was for the metro line. It's behind the Goodyear tire location at 66 and 29. Bell Atlantic / Verizon pulled out of the location about 5 years ago and I think the place is still vacant.

Anyways, there is a BUNCH of parking there if the building were to be bulldozed. It was one of the newer telephone buildings, but by today's standards, a tired old facility. And with probably 250'+ of woods between the fence line and I 66, I bet that would get bulldozed and metro could go right in.

Posted by: Knighthawk ()
Date: November 12, 2015 09:40AM

The day the extend the Orange line to Centreville, is the day I move.

Posted by: jayman2014 ()
Date: November 12, 2015 11:22AM

It will be done in 2045 and cost 65 billion over budget.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.