HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
VDOT says my road isn't state-maintained...
Posted by: tailchaser ()
Date: March 26, 2013 08:59AM

And I can't find anything past a phone number (where they don't pick up, I've left voice messages twice) on the FFX Co. DoT website.

How can I find out:

(a) who's supposed to maintain my road;
(b) how to get them to come repair some crazy-huge potholes on my street?

I also want to see if they'll build a cul-de-sac and/or put up a "DEAD END" sign b/c the street just dumps into my front yard and I have tons of people turning around in my driveway.

The weird thing is, when I bought the house two years ago, I filled out the VDOT online "pothole repair" form and they came out and patched the holes! This time they called to say they'll only do anything within 5 feet of the entrance to the road since that's VDOT's "right-of-way" and everything else isn't their responsibility.

FFX Co's website says "most roads in Fairfax County are maintained by VDOT" and gives no other info about who takes care of the ones that don't fall under the "most" umbrella...

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: VDOT says my road isn't state-maintained...
Posted by: Thomas More ()
Date: March 26, 2013 09:08AM

Call the survey company that did the house location survey used to conduct the closing when you bought your house. They can look up the info on the VDOT state secondary system maintenance maps.

There are a few streets that were never accepted into the state secondary road system. Some are the county's responsibility. Others are purely private.

Call the county supervisors office also. They might blow you off. They might be helpful. It can be a very mixed bag.

Posted by: LetsRock ()
Date: March 26, 2013 09:13AM

If it is a new street in a planned community, the street may be still owned by the builder until all construction is complete. The state does not want to have to maintain a street that is still being tore up by heavy equipment.

Date: March 26, 2013 09:22AM

Thanks.

I mean if mail carriers, county trucks, and other public works vehicles use the road, can they really pawn off the maintenance to me and my neighbors?

I live near a school & there is a 12-foot easement along the side of the lane adjacent to the fence on that side. The county trims trees (among other things) and brings the wood-chipper trucks and dump trucks for the mulch down my street. I think I probably have a case for asking them to repair the road, right?

Posted by: Simply ()
Date: March 26, 2013 09:43AM

Contact your HOA if you have one. SeeClickFix is another tool onine to report issues, and the jurisdiction usually replies. And if its not VDOT who owns/maintains it, its more than likely county/city where you are

Posted by: ...in the 22039 ()
Date: March 26, 2013 10:06AM

If you go to the end of your road, look at the top of the stop sign. If there is a small, 4" x 12" white sign w/ 4 numbers (or in some cases, fewer), then it is a State Road.

Your route is the one (sign) parallel to the way your road runs. The cross street, if state owned, would run parallel to that.

I hope this helps.

Posted by: Not in My Backyard ()
Date: March 26, 2013 01:19PM

Leave the road alone. We are in a budget deficit right now. Stop demanding it be fixed.

That last thing I need is my tax dollars going to some crappy dead end road repair!

Date: March 26, 2013 02:33PM

Thanks for SeeClickFix. I'll set something up there for sure. No state route sign on the road... hell if the STOP sign is still there I'll be shocked. We'll get 'er done though, one way or another...

Thanks.

Posted by: katiesmith ()
Date: March 27, 2013 01:46PM

I know this doesn't help your situation, but it amazes me that VDOT will refuse to fix a road, while at the same time they blow tax payer dollars on the corrupt shithole of a property they own in Alexandria (Hunting Towers-renamed Hunting Point on the Potomac-renamed but still completely ghetto). Oh and you should see what the parking lots looks like at a VDOT owned property-its pothole city.

tailchaser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I can't find anything past a phone number
> (where they don't pick up, I've left voice
> messages twice) on the FFX Co. DoT website.
>
> How can I find out:
>
> (a) who's supposed to maintain my road;
> (b) how to get them to come repair some crazy-huge
> potholes on my street?
>
> I also want to see if they'll build a cul-de-sac
> and/or put up a "DEAD END" sign b/c the street
> just dumps into my front yard and I have tons of
> people turning around in my driveway.
>
> The weird thing is, when I bought the house two
> years ago, I filled out the VDOT online "pothole
> repair" form and they came out and patched the
> holes! This time they called to say they'll only
> do anything within 5 feet of the entrance to the
> road since that's VDOT's "right-of-way" and
> everything else isn't their responsibility.
>
> FFX Co's website says "most roads in Fairfax
> County are maintained by VDOT" and gives no other
> info about who takes care of the ones that don't
> fall under the "most" umbrella...
>
> Thanks in advance.

Posted by: WingNut ()
Date: March 27, 2013 02:01PM

Look for the little white sign on a post with a number on it, Richmond Highway is "1" Leesburg Pike is "7" and your number is probably "1234" or something similar.

You can use this number to reference your problem.

If the arrow is pointing in one direction away from where your house is, you are probably stuck- that signals where the state responsibility ends.

idontlikebeingrightaboutshitlikethisbutiam

Edited 21 time(s). Last edit at 5/31/1967 05:57AM by WingNut.

Last edit at 11/30/2015 01:37PM Last edit at 5/14/2015 03:52PM Last edit at 1/28/2014 05:57AM Last edit at 11/29/2015 01:10PM Last edit at 3/14/2011 11:52PM Last edit at 7/20/2012 04:07AM
Last edit at 6/29/2013 11:18PM Last edit at 3/19/2011 01:02PM Last edit at 3/26/2012 09:07PM

Posted by: Inquiring Mind ()
Date: March 28, 2013 07:22AM

Can you provide the street name and address number you are talking about?

Most streets within most townhome and condo and apartment complexes are privately owned.

Posted by: GettinOld ()
Date: March 28, 2013 07:34AM

tailchaser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks.
>
> I mean if mail carriers, county trucks, and other
> public works vehicles use the road, can they
> really pawn off the maintenance to me and my
> neighbors?
>

There's no 'pawning off' if it doesn't belong to them. You need to determine who owns the road. My HOA regularly reminds us (for snow removal) which roads are state responsibility and which are HOA owned. Mail vehicles and police cars regularly use our roads, but there is no expectation that that means the county or the Federal government should keep them up. Oddly, we don't expect UPS or Fedex to fix our roads, either.

Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: March 28, 2013 08:41AM

ROFLMAO@the mentality that because you see a public works vehicle on the road, it MUST be a public road - HAHA HAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

@getting old - I know, right? It's like ppl cant even use the greymatter anymore lol
@katie - hunting towers isnt VDOT's responsiblity, it's in the City of Alexandria they do the paving and stuff there. And as for VDOT properties...........yeah they are normally the LAST and LEAST to be focused on for repaving and upkeep. Reason is that they know ppl like you would be the FIRST to complain that VDOT facilities were top-notch while some other road looked bad. Just fyi..............

@OP - so, didja find out anything? Dont need to know where you live, but I'm curious if you found out if you actually are on a VDOT street or not.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.