HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Is California Tortilla Worst Burrito Chain in Fairfax County?
Posted by: Eater of Tacos ()
Date: March 22, 2013 09:50PM

Has anybody here eaten at one of the California Tortilla restaurants in the county? These have to be some of the worst excuses for burritos on the planet.

Are there any burrito restaurants locally that are even worse? Or is California Tortilla the ultimate in crappy food?

* The burritos are overstuffed and wrapped messily. Each burrito is guaranteed to rip, tear, and fall apart.

* The rice is bland and mushy.

* The beans are flavorless.

* The guacamole is tasteless. Even Wendy's guacamole is better.

* The chips are usually stale.

* The ground beef is absolute mush. It is the same consistency as the meat they used to use in my middle school cafeteria for tacos. Paste-like. And pretty bland.

* The chicken appears to be their signature meat and it is the best tasting thing in the joint, but is consistently dry.

* Many of their items come drenched in some horrible sauce. The sauce is all that you end up tasting.

All of the stores seem to feature a wall with dozens of different varieties of sauces. Signs and text painted near the sauce wall proclaim, "It's All About the Sauce."

At California Tortilla, it is all about the sauce because their food is pure, flavorless slop without sauce.

Their food is one-dimensional and boring and you may as well pour some hot sauce on a tortilla because that's all you end up tasting at California Tortilla.

What else can be said about a restaurant that encourages its diners to pour sauce all over their food? Their food cannot stand on its own.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is California Tortilla Worst Burrito Chain in Fairfax County?
Posted by: Gomez ()
Date: March 22, 2013 10:18PM

La Tolteca es muey bueno y muey lindo. Grande comida y grande cervezas. Las chicas este mas putas.

Posted by: Caltor rocks ()
Date: March 22, 2013 10:24PM

Fuck you

Posted by: belgium ()
Date: March 23, 2013 12:15AM

Cal Tort sucks!

Posted by: CalTort tastes like vomit ()
Date: March 23, 2013 09:22AM

"California Screamin" is the not-hot "hot" sauce they put on several of their dishes.

NASTY. It has the aroma of fresh vomit and the sharp, vinegar bite of the sauce tastes a lot like vomit. Several of their entrees have this vomit-like flavor.

They throw crap on a tortilla. There's no balance, no composition to their food. Just dump, dump, dump, then squirt with their vomit-flavored sauce.

Order their No-Meato burrito if you want to see a dish that could benefit from actually putting some thought into building it. They dump their gross rice on the tortilla, then ladle on some beans. Some days they dump on some canned corn, then some grilled vegetables.

Let's talk about the grilled vegetables. It's not difficult to make grilled vegetables that are out of this world. CalTort's grilled veggies are overcooked and like other things there: MUSHY.

Grilled zucchini = awesome. Cal Tort's grilled zucchini? Mushy and gross with the consistency of snot.

Grilled onions? How can you eff this up? Cal Tort does.

After dumping these things on a tortilla, they squirt on sour cream (like the canned corn, this only happens some times), then drop a load of their nasty guacamole on the burrito.

At this stage, the poor tortilla is completely overloaded, so the morons grab a huge pile of spinach and dump it on top of the pile. Then the morons try to wrap the burrito.

This is never successful. Due to the giant pile of crap overlain with the pile of spinach. The spinach leaves, all being laid down in in parallel, shear right over each other, leaving an unstable burrito. Especially as the massive pile of spinach is always under the joint or flap of the burrito.

If they mixed in the spinach while constructing the burrito, it would improve the burrito's physical eatability.

But the flavor is still utter CRAAAAAAP.

Posted by: It's a burrito relax ()
Date: March 23, 2013 09:26AM

The go to subway!

Posted by: Priapus ()
Date: March 23, 2013 09:34AM

You eat there often?

Posted by: xPkxL ()
Date: March 23, 2013 10:03AM

Tippy's Taco is fine dining in comparison.

Date: March 23, 2013 10:04AM

How frequently are you eating vomit? Should probably slow down a bit. CalTor makes a nice burrito- they never said its going to be an authentic one. It's nice to see a place put some different flavors on what are generally tasteless and simply spicy foods. Stop eating vomit.

Posted by: Stacey Kane ()
Date: March 23, 2013 10:26AM

Hello there Fairfax Underground users -

It sounds like some of you are having experiences that do not meet the quality standards that we at California Tortilla pride ourselves on delivering. We use the highest quality ingredients in eery recipe from the #1 Haas avocados used in our guac to the whole white meat (never frozen) chicken breast. All of our food is made in small batches throughout the day so you get the best tasting food possible.

However, if this is not what you are experiencing we want to know all of the details so that these concerns can be addressed at the store level. Please e-mail skane@caltort.com.

In the meantime, thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. Because as much as I hate to hear that we've failed our customers in any way, it's feedback such as yours that will ultimately make us a better restaurant.

Stacey Kane
VP of Marketing

Posted by: macho nacho ()
Date: March 23, 2013 11:17AM

Are you effin kidding me. California tortilla is damn good. It's not a fine dining restaurant and doesn't claim to be. It's just good fast food. I find the food better than Baja Fresh or Tippy's by far. Everything I've ordered there comes without hot sauce. You choose your hot sauce from the wall of hot sauces they keep by the soda fountain. Maybe you pissed someone off there and they shit in your food whenever you show up.

If you dislike to so gaddamn much, why do you go back. It sounds like you frequent the place from your detailed descriptions.

Posted by: huh ()
Date: March 23, 2013 06:30PM

The two times I went there and ordered an item right off the menu with no special requests, I got the wrong item because the employees spoke no English. I gave it a second chance and thought maybe I just got unlucky the first time but nope, it seems to be the regular staff. It took way to long to get the original item I ordered, it is not worth it and I am sure the food is horribly unhealthy anway.

Posted by: yourmom ()
Date: March 23, 2013 08:53PM

I like Cali T. I wish they'd open one in the Merrifield area near where I live. The burritos are overstuffed and too big??? You sound like a little bitch. If you can't handle a big burrito, then order a little taco.

Posted by: macho nacho ()
Date: March 24, 2013 12:11PM

The Cal Tort at the Hoffman Center is very good. They usually have my order ready before I finish getting my drink at the fountain. No language issues either.

Posted by: Xxoook ()
Date: March 24, 2013 07:33PM

Chipotle is mucho better

Posted by: well ()
Date: March 25, 2013 12:43AM

Baja Fresh is acceptable if you must have mexican fast food.

Posted by: snakeinthegrass ()
Date: March 25, 2013 09:29AM

The burritos are not overstuffed, the tortillas aren't warmed. Room temperature tortillas tear very easily, thus giving the illusion they're overstuffed. I'd eat there way more if it wasn't such a production to finish a burrito...

Posted by: Burr it o ()
Date: March 26, 2013 10:44PM

Moe's southwest grill is probably just as bad as California Tortilla.

Posted by: The Route One ()
Date: March 26, 2013 11:27PM

snakeinthegrass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The burritos are not overstuffed, the tortillas
> aren't warmed. Room temperature tortillas tear
> very easily,

+ 1

The worst burritos may be at the LV Disco. Those burritos will give you Hep C along with a run in with the cops.

Posted by: baja ()
Date: January 08, 2016 06:49PM

Growing up in San Diego I find California tortilla true to the Baja style mexican food which is very different from the tex mex style I experienced in Colorado. their food is good, maybe some people on here don't know what mexican food is.

Posted by: IFlySoloBitch ()
Date: January 08, 2016 07:14PM

I never understood why anyone liked Chipotle. I hated them before they started wiping their asses with the tortillas before serving you.

Posted by: tippys sux ()
Date: January 08, 2016 07:23PM

Anything is better than that dog food they sell at Tippy's.

Posted by: Mike O'Meara Show Fan ()
Date: January 08, 2016 08:32PM

I object to the fact that they employ so many Africans and to the quality of their "ground beef".

Posted by: Frunkus ()
Date: January 10, 2016 02:32PM

I don't think that Cal Tor Company is that bad. Their tacos are good plus you can choose from the many bottles of hot sauce they have on the wall.

Chipotle is great is you enjoy norovirus with your burrito.

Posted by: UGFDF ()
Date: January 10, 2016 02:49PM

Eater of Tacos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> * The burritos are overstuffed and wrapped
> messily. Each burrito is guaranteed to rip, tear,
> and fall apart.

Yes

>
> * The rice is bland and mushy.

Yes

> * Many of their items come drenched in some
> horrible sauce. The sauce is all that you end up
> tasting.

Yes

>
> All of the stores seem to feature a wall with
> dozens of different varieties of sauces. Signs and
> text painted near the sauce wall proclaim, "It's
> All About the Sauce."

Yeah, I guess I didn't care about that. But I noticed it. I don't need 1000 sauces. I don't even need one, not even hot sauce.

I've only been to one once, in Loudoun County. It's like a bad Baja Fresh. While I was eating I was wishing I had gone to Baja Fresh. The burrito completely fell apart and I had to eat the whole thing with a fork. It also didn't taste special. It was ok, just not great. I feel like I could have made it myself at home. Chipotle and Baja Fresh are equal in my mind, with Chipotle tasting more fast food-like but still good. Hopefully this California Tortilla place improves...

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.