HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Farmington Plantation in Chantilly
Posted by: histury ()
Date: March 11, 2013 04:30PM

Where could I find out abuot Farmington Plantation in Chantilly? It was supposeldy where the Westfields office complex is today and there is some sort of cemetery in the woods there.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Farmington Plantation in Chantilly
Date: March 14, 2013 01:37PM

There's a series of local history books that might have what you're looking for. They sell some of them at Frying Pan Farm Park's Country Store (by the playground - to the left as you go in the main entrance). I think they also sell some at Colvin Run Mill and one of the grocery stores but don't remember which (Bloom? Giant?). There's one on the history of Dulles Airport.

You could also check with the Virginia Room of the Fairfax County Public Library.
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/branches/vr/
They have the oldest local records in large quantities. I'm sure there'd be some old newspapers or other articles about the place. Which of their resources to check depends on what you're trying to find out.

"Online Resources
--Accessible Archives — available only in the Virginia Room--
Fairfax County Public Library Historical Photographs
Fairfax County Public Library Photograph Collection
Fairfax County Genealogy and Local History Sites
Fairfax County Public Library Historical Newspaper Index
Fairfax County Cemetery Survey
Fairfax County Courthouse Exhibit
Fairfax County Inventory of Historic Sites
Folklore: The Bunny Man Unmasked
Analytical Index to the Historical Society of Fairfax County Yearbook v. 1 - 9
Supplementary Index to the Historical Society of Fairfax County Yearbooks v. 10 - 15
American Ancestors - New England Historic Genealogical Society — available only in the Virginia Room
Snake Hill to Spring Bank: An Oral History
Crafts and Trades of Colonial Virginia
Timeline
Historical Washington Post (articles from 1877-1994 through the library's
subscription to ProQuest)
Handley Library

Local History
--CD-ROM and database resources--
City directories
Civil War in Northern Virginia
Civil War Washington
The Fairfax County Courthouse
Fractured Land and Return to Union
Frying Pan Farm
Green Spring Farm
History Index
Local History and Genealogy Websites
Newspapers
Prince William Public Library System Digital Library
Exploring Fairfax through Family Papers: John M. Sherwood Collection Exhibit
Telephone books
..."

Associated with the Virginia Room are local genealogy groups and individual genealogists who keep track of cemeteries and who's buried in them. Much is online-searchable these days.
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/library/cemeteries/
I did a quick check on the cemetery search; think this is what you want.
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/LIBRARY/CEMETERIES/default.aspx
(searched for "farmington" and clicked the ()cemetery option)
-->
Scott Family Cemetery [link]
Conference Center Dr.
Centreville, Va.
-->
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/LIBRARY/CEMETERIES/Cemetery.aspx?number=FX208

"Scott Family Cemetery

Conference Center Dr.
Centreville, Va.
FX208

The cemetery is located @200 yards southeast of the foundation of "Farmington Plantation". The Scott family owned this property from c.1792 to c. 1850. There are eight finely cut marble ledger stones and one roughly inscribed sandstone marker present. Most of the stones have been displaced and/or broken. The cemetery is enclosed by a high chain link fence that was installed c. 1982. Westfields, a conference center and office park now surrounds the site.

JOHN SCOTT
Death: OCT 7, 1799
Inscription: In Memory of JOHN SCOTT A Native of Scotland who Departed this Life on the 7th of October 1799 in the 67th Year of his Age after an illness of only one hour from perfect health. Leaving issue DAVID WILSON SCOTT RICHARD MARSHALL SCOTT and ANNE SCOTT.
MARY SCOTT
Death: MAR 12, 1795
Inscription: In Memory of MARY SCOTT Relict of JOHN SCOTT A Native of Maryland Who departed this Life the 12th day of March 1795 in the 60th Year of her Age after a violent illness of three weeks. Leaving issue DAVID WILSON SCOTT RICHARD MARSHALL SCOTT and ANNE SCOTT
DAVID WILSON SCOTT SCOTT
Death: SEP 23, 1827
Inscription: Epitaph Sacred to the memory of DAVID WILSON SCOTT who departed this life 23rd September 1827 in the 1st year of his age leaving one only child called Mary Marshall Scott Erected by his affectionate brother RICHARD MARSHALL SCOTT
RICHARD M. SCOTT
Death: AUG 31, 1833
Inscription: SACRED To the memory of RICHARD M. SCOTT of Bush Hill who departed this life at Bath on the 31t of August 1833, in the 63d year of his age. He left an affectionate wife and two sons to whom he was endeared by his affections. His remains, dear and sacred to his family, were translated from Bath to this place.
MARY SCOTT
Death: JAN 13, 1812
Inscription: Epitaph Sacred to the memory of Mrs. MARY SCOTT, the amiable and lamented consort of RICHARD MARSHALL SCOTT of Bush Hill, who departed this life in the 43d year of her age at Richmond in Virginia 13th of January 1812. She expired in the arms of her husband then delegate from the county of Fairfax in the general assembly of Virginia. Her remains, dear and sacred to her husband by his particular desire were translated from Richmond to this spot the family burying ground and interred 17th day of January 1812 See Mary's urn; the virtues in a train In sympathetic grief attend her bier; While Friendship Love Charity remain In silent anguish; type of sad despair.
MRS. ELEANOR DOUGLASS SCOTT
Death: JAN 26, 1830
Inscription: Epitaph Sacred to the memory of Mrs. ELEANOR DOUGLASS SCOTT the amiable and lamented consort of RICHARD MARSHALL SCOTT of Bush Hill who departed this life in the 23d year of her age at Bush Hill on the 26th day of January 1830 having an infant son 5 months old called by his fathers name She expired in the arms of her husband. Her remains dear and sacred to him, by his particular desire were translated to this spot, the family burying ground and interred the 28th day of January 1830. Let Eleanor's urn, her virtues in a train In sympathetic grief attend her bier, While friendship, love and charity remain In silent anguish, type of sad despair.
ANNE SCOTT
Death: MAY 8, 1821
Inscription: Epitaph Sacred in the memory of ANNE SCOTT who departed this life after an illness of 4 days 8th of May 1821 in the 50th year of her age. Erected by her affectionate brother RICHARD MARSHALL SCOTT
ELIZABETH SCOTT
Death: SEP 25, 1848
Inscription: SACRED To the memory of my beloved MOTHER ELIZABETH SCOTT who died Sept. 25th 1848 in the 80th year of her age. Blessed are the dead who die in the LORD
JANE WARD
Death: MAY 14, 1816
Inscription: ---- ---- ---- OF JANE WARD, WHO DEPARTED THIS LI FE MAY THE 14TH 1816 AGED 29 YEARS 3 MONTHS AND 17 DAYS
Comment: Hand cut sandstone marker. Top is broken off.
"

Re: Farmington Plantation in Chantilly
Posted by: Anonymous65433555 ()
Date: April 26, 2013 05:25PM

I did an entire project about the family that owned the Farmington Plantation. Richard Marshall Scott was the owner, He was a very prestigious lawyer and was friends with George Washington. Anyways, he owned the famington plantation, but didn't live there very much.. that is where his brother and the rest of his family lived.. He lived at Bush Hil in Alexandria.. it was right next door to Mount Vernon... Also... Go to Fairfax Library... (the one in the city of Fairfax next to the courthouse) Go upstairs to the Virginia Room, Ask the ladies at the front Desk if you can look through stuff on Richard Scott...they have his original handwritten journal there.. it is amazing!!!
Here is a link to the collect of work I gathered about the family for my project at GMU. http://mycemetery.org/collections/show/17

Please email me at: Mekilmer15@gmail.com if you have any questions! I honestly love talking about this family... After my semester studying them I felt like I knew them.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.