HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Cell Phone Service
Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: January 22, 2006 05:44PM

I have 1 year left on my contract with sprint and they suck hardcore. i want to know if anybody knows if any other company will eat the cost of me leaving sprint in return i sign a 2 year contract with them

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cell Phone Service
Posted by: Fairfax MF-er ()
Date: January 24, 2006 03:08PM

MrDoctor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have 1 year left on my contract with sprint and
> they suck hardcore. i want to know if anybody
> knows if any other company will eat the cost of me
> leaving sprint in return i sign a 2 year contract
> with them

No. Why should they?

Posted by: Mikem22VA ()
Date: January 24, 2006 04:08PM

I was just about to start a post about this, I am currently on hold with sprint (30 minutes). I have 2 phones in my plan, and each month they charge me $20-$30 too much. Reason being, one of the phones mobile to mobile free air time isn't working. So my minutes usage runs into the 1000's. I tell them each month the same thing, but again they don't correct it. I got 18 more months to go! I HATE SPRINT. WOW just now the hung up on me... after 30 minutes?!?! SUE SPRINT

Posted by: MrDoctor ()
Date: January 24, 2006 07:57PM

yea sprint sucks dick

and to fairfax mf-er they should because they want my business!

Posted by: PaperPusher ()
Date: January 24, 2006 11:05PM

Verizon Wireless is probably the best out there. I've been with them for going on 6 years and haven't had a problem. I have 3 phones on my account.

Posted by: Genevieve ()
Date: January 24, 2006 11:22PM

I recently "bit the bullet" and paid Nextel/Sprint $200 to close an account. The reception was terrible and it was much cheaper to cancel the phone than to pay for another 8 months.

Porting that phone number over to my Cingular account was a bit of a pain. I forgot that I had number lock on the Nextel account and the Cingular porting team forgot to call me to ask that number lock be removed. When the port didn't go through several days later, I called Nextel and had the number lock removed, but then the Cingular rep I talked to was an idiot and said that the port didn't need to be requested again. I eventually just had to ask for the porting team.

Date: January 25, 2006 10:15AM

I think verizon is the lesser evil of all of them. Not saying Verizon is wonderful. They still overcharge like all of them do. But I do get great reception and rarely have dropped calls. And I never have billing problems with them.

Well except for when I first got the phone and the salesman lied to me saying he was putting me on the unlimited nights and weekends plan like I asked only to find out there really wasn't an unlimited nights and weekends plan established in their system yet. When I got a several hundred dollar phone bill I flipped out on them and they fixed it. They TRIED to say it was my fault that I didn't look at the small print on the bill saying what plan I had, which is when I told them that THEIR sales guy lied to me and told me I was getting unlimited nights and weekends and that I expect verizon to be responsible for their shitty sales people. I only paid for about a third of that bill.

I had Cell One (way back when) and they sucked. I had nextel (before the sprint merge) and they sucked and were WAY too expensive. And I have several friends that have used sprint for a few years and still have it and every single billing cycle they have to call their customer service to get something on their bill fixed. From what it sounds like...Sprint's billing and services can't get co-ordinated and get their shit straight.

Posted by: Gravis ()
Date: January 25, 2006 10:34AM

it really does depend on where you are using it. if you are in D.C. use verison for sure. as for me, i have Cingular and it's very nice. in springfield, fairfax, alexandria and mclean all have good reception.

"the wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."095042938540

Posted by: BR ()
Date: January 25, 2006 10:47AM

I've used Sprint for a long time, and have never had any problems. I'm not a loyal Sprint-or-die person or anything, it's just what I started using and have ended up sticking with....just haven't ever had a reason to change.

My wife has Cingular.

Posted by: MattyMatt ()
Date: January 26, 2006 02:53PM

I have sprint and can't wait till the contract is up in August. I will finally have service in my Neighborhood!!!

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: January 26, 2006 10:40PM

Another plug for Verizon. All wireless companies suck to some degree, but I have been with Sprint and TMobile, and service with Verizon has been the best. I have my list of complaints with them, but they have definately been the lesser of the wireless evils.

Posted by: CO ()
Date: February 08, 2006 04:12PM

That's strange. I have had Sprint for 5 years now and never had a problem.

Posted by: lex ()
Date: February 08, 2006 08:33PM

i had att which got bought out by cingular, and they treated me like shit, and over charged me for a phone that got NO service, and told me to pay outta my pocket to upgrade my phone and service, cause they were closing the att network instead of paying them out more money for the service they so clearly sux'd at! i bit the bullet and closed out, and switched over to t'mobile, couldn't beat they're deal money wise, and service wise, i hear verizion is better, but where i live, no matter who you have, reception is kinda spotty. i was more concerned with having service coming and going, and at work, and its imaculate, and for 60 bucks a month, to have more than enough minutes, and unlimited txt, email, and net. i just couldn't beat the deal! not to mention i've yet to hit any huge bills, nothin over 70 bucks when i d'l a game or two.

Posted by: A'rn ()
Date: February 08, 2006 11:40PM

I used AT&T for a while - just up until they got bought out by Cingular - and they sucked horribly. I don't know if Cingular's service has improved or not, but I just remember getting signalless holes on Fairfax County Parkway, all over Dulles Airport and around GMU - my primary locales.

I just gave the AT&T service to my cousin, who took over the bills for it, and switched to Verizon. Now, Verizon ain't exactly all smiles, but its rate is comparable to what I was paying for AT&T and the service never falters, at least around Fairfax.

Like Teh Burninator said, Verizon is probably the lesser of the evils. But once you sign with them, expect to be with them for the entire contract period, they've got a $200 cancellation fee plus a bunch of other "you didn't pay for this" bullshit on top of it.

Posted by: from the 757 ()
Date: February 08, 2006 11:49PM

My only complaint is that in July I switched from Sprint to Verizon and bought a $150 phone with a $50 rebate. The rebate never came, and then I saw the same exact phone advertised at Circuit City for $50.

edit: But yeah, besides that Verizon has been better than Sprint. I just wish they had plans with fewer minutes. I'm not a big phone talker and waste about 1000 minutes a month.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2006 11:50PM by from the 757.

Posted by: RU that cheap ()
Date: March 28, 2014 11:38AM

Are you that cheap? pay to cancel. move to Verizon. Done. Stop bitching.

Posted by: MGUhe ()
Date: March 28, 2014 02:07PM

tmobile will do it.

Actually any company will if you negotiate.

Posted by: Old Thread ()
Date: March 28, 2014 02:15PM

This is an 8 year old thread so the original poster has probably switched companies by now.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.