HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Speeding on the Dulles Toll-Road....
Posted by: Slow Down ()
Date: July 21, 2008 01:36PM

I commute from Falls Church to Reston on a daily basis aside from the occasional day I work at home. I feel it my obligation to bring up something I have noticed the past 4 years while making this treacherous drive.

The speeders...

It seems as if you're not going at least 70 mph, you will get run down by some of the maniacal drivers in their BMWs, Mercedes, and Lexus's.

I always drive in the far left lane. There is less traffic over there and less people to deal with entering/exiting the toll-road. I obey the speed limit. Posted is 55mph, and I never even exceed 50mph, to be on the safe side. Drivers will approach me like a bat out h*ll from behind - flashing their brights, honking, giving me "the finger", etc. It is absolutely infuriating!

Where is there a rule or law stating I MUST move over if I do not want to drive like an absolute insane person? Plus, to make matters worse, I work in a pet-friendly work place. My cat, Paw Scaggs, comes with my every day. Scaggs gets the ever loving daylights scared out of him everytime one of these (you) maniacs come flying up behind me, around me, cutting me off, slamming on your breaks in retaliation (causing me to come to a complete stop on dense traffic), and cursing. Scaggs and I just want to get to work in one piece.

Please, folks. Just be a little more kind when encountering drivers such as myself on the road. It's a matter of respect for humanity. I refuse to cater to your driving habits.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speeding on the Dulles Toll-Road....
Posted by: Alumbrado ()
Date: July 21, 2008 01:43PM

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-804

Drivers in the left lane must yield right of way to faster moving vehicles.

Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 21, 2008 01:46PM

Slow Down Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I commute from Falls Church to Reston on a daily
> basis aside from the occasional day I work at
> home. I feel it my obligation to bring up
> something I have noticed the past 4 years while
> making this treacherous drive.
>
> The speeders...
>
> It seems as if you're not going at least 70 mph,
> you will get run down by some of the maniacal
> drivers in their BMWs, Mercedes, and Lexus's.
>
> I always drive in the far left lane. There is less
> traffic over there and less people to deal with
> entering/exiting the toll-road. I obey the speed
> limit. Posted is 55mph, and I never even exceed
> 50mph, to be on the safe side. Drivers will
> approach me like a bat out h*ll from behind -
> flashing their brights, honking, giving me "the
> finger", etc. It is absolutely infuriating!
>
> Where is there a rule or law stating I MUST move
> over if I do not want to drive like an absolute
> insane person? Plus, to make matters worse, I work
> in a pet-friendly work place. My cat, Paw Scaggs,
> comes with my every day. Scaggs gets the ever
> loving daylights scared out of him everytime one
> of these (you) maniacs come flying up behind me,
> around me, cutting me off, slamming on your breaks
> in retaliation (causing me to come to a complete
> stop on dense traffic), and cursing. Scaggs and I
> just want to get to work in one piece.
>
> Please, folks. Just be a little more kind when
> encountering drivers such as myself on the road.
> It's a matter of respect for humanity. I refuse to
> cater to your driving habits.

This HAS to be a joke. I took it seriously until I read about Paw Scaggs (probably the only intelligent part of this post).

Posted by: pgens ()
Date: July 21, 2008 01:49PM

The toll road is many lanes wide in places... you can be over toward the left without being in the far-left lane. What you are doing may sound reasonable to you, but you are in fact creating a very dangerous road condition because you are forcing people to change lanes around you at speeds different than your own. You are also seeding aggressive behavior in those drivers.

Let the cops worry about the speeders... you can accomplish your goal of avoiding on/off-highway traffic without "teaching the speeders a lesson."

I am writing the above based on what a non-troll would post, but I am pretty certain the original poster is trolling.

Posted by: native.d ()
Date: July 21, 2008 02:01PM

Slow Down Wrote:
Drivers will
> approach me like a bat out h*ll from behind -
> flashing their brights, honking, giving me "the
> finger", etc. It is absolutely infuriating!

I AM that guy. Why would you go 5 miles BELOW the limit if you are in the fast lane while others are trying to get to work. If you got pets with you , move over all the way to the right with the rest of the hippies

Date: July 21, 2008 02:02PM

You are obstructing the flow of traffic and present a hazard to those who want to pass you. Stay out of the hammer lane, you are going to cause an accident. Even though you are obeying the law, others around you are going to try to pass you and they are going to get into accidents with those around them.

And if you're trolling, stop.

Posted by: native/ ()
Date: July 21, 2008 02:03PM

Slow Down Wrote:
slamming on your breaks
> in retaliation (causing me to come to a complete
> stop on dense traffic).

Lol, priceless

Posted by: Eastsider ()
Date: July 21, 2008 02:11PM

This post has to be EJ.

Posted by: Casual Forum Reader ()
Date: July 21, 2008 02:17PM

No, this post cannot be EJ's, as there are grammatical errors and typos...

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: July 21, 2008 02:36PM

whoever it is has a death wish........

Posted by: Good Driver ()
Date: July 21, 2008 03:04PM

Probably some old crow who thinks its his constitutional right to drive in the left lane, by gum. Just pass the old geezer on the right. He's sure to cause a road rage incident.

Lots of times, all the maniacs are jockeying with each other in the left lanes, and the right lane's clear. You can zoom down the right lane, it's clear sailing!

Date: July 21, 2008 03:15PM

Having read the original post again, I must agree with WashingToneLocian. Has to be a joke. "Oh, the poor pussy!"

Posted by: paddy ()
Date: July 21, 2008 03:16PM

50mph in the left lane on the toll road? get the fuck out of my way. if someone gets hurt in a wreck i'll know its your fault.

Date: July 21, 2008 03:25PM

Yes, he should get out of the left lane. We don't want to scare the pussy. Or the cat, either. (Guffaw)

Date: July 21, 2008 03:32PM

Good Driver Wrote:
> Having read the original post again, I must agree
> with WashingToneLocian. Has to be a joke. "Oh,
> the poor pussy!"

Yeah. This is definitely a put on post designed to raise the ire of the blogging masses. I do think the inclusion of the cat was a master stroke.

Posted by: JAck black ()
Date: July 21, 2008 03:57PM

You must yield to people going faster...but NOT faster than 55mph because that is illegal. If they are goig 56+ and flashing their lights and getting infuriated, that's not your problem. It's theirs.

OBEY THE LAW.

Date: July 21, 2008 04:07PM

JAck black Wrote:
> You must yield to people going faster...but NOT
> faster than 55mph because that is illegal. If they
> are goig 56+ and flashing their lights and getting
> infuriated, that's not your problem. It's theirs.
>
>
>
> OBEY THE LAW.

The law is slower traffic goes to the right, period. The left lane is for passing. If you are going 55 mph and everyone else is going 55 mph, everyone should be in the right lane, leaving the left lane clear for passing.

THAT is the law.

Posted by: KeepOnTruckin ()
Date: July 21, 2008 04:31PM

That is not true. As long as you are not going slower than the speed limit, you can drive in the left lane.

It is de facto law that the left lane is the fast lane. The OP obviously does not realize this. Everyone else, including me, hates it when peoples drive slow in the left lane. You can go the speed limit if you want. Just drive in the right lane.

Date: July 21, 2008 04:34PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> That is not true.

You would be wrong (from Wikipedia)...

A passing lane is the lane on a multi-lane highway or motorway closest to the center of the road (the central reservation).

In North American terminology, the passing lane is often known as a left lane or leftmost lane, due to left hand drive (driving on the right).

A passing lane is often colloquially referred to as a fast lane because it is often used for extended periods of time for thru traffic or fast traffic. In theory, a passing lane should only be used for passing, thus allowing, even on a road with only two lanes in each direction, motorists to travel at their own pace. Good driving practice is to slip out of the passing lane once slower cars have been passed.

Date: July 21, 2008 04:36PM

Furthermore...

Common Practice and most law on United States Highways is that the left lane is reserved for passing and faster moving traffic, and that traffic using the left lane must yield to traffic wishing to overtake. The United States Uniform Vehicle Code states:

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's website on "Keep Right Laws" points out that:

This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right..."[1]

Paws Scaggs' owner, if making a legitimate complaint, is wrong.

Date: July 21, 2008 04:37PM

What reference does WP give for those statements?

Date: July 21, 2008 04:40PM

KeepOnTruckin Wrote:
> What reference does WP give for those statements?

I don't know. A complete list of states' "Keep Right" codes?

http://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

Posted by: The Actual Law ()
Date: July 21, 2008 04:42PM

Please make note that the ACUTAL law says NOTHING about the speed limit...

"Any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions existing, shall be driven in the lane nearest the right edge or right curb of the highway when such lane is available for travel except when overtaking and passing another vehicle or in preparation for a left turn or where right lanes are reserved for slow-moving traffic as permitted in this section;..."

Just move the F**K over already and be done with it.

Date: July 21, 2008 04:49PM

Look folks. It's not the fucking autobahn. But having said that, it's common knowledge in this country that slower traffic stays right, and passing is on the left. Driving slowly on the left is downright hostile - passive aggressive - and if you do this to rile up others, you deserve every middle finger you get. If you were a law abiding, mind your own beeswax citizen, you'd yield to the wankers who want to speed. Period. You are just as aggressive, belligerant, and wink-assed as any rabid speeder who curses you to hell and back. So you have a cat with you. BFD. A prick with a pussy - purrrfect.

Posted by: Slow Down ()
Date: July 21, 2008 04:54PM

Good Driver; you leave Scaggs out of this...

aren't you the idiot complaining about people tail-gating you on Soapstone? Look at you now...

Us slow drivers need to stick together.

Posted by: jack black ()
Date: July 21, 2008 05:00PM

SO let me get this...the left lane is a designated lane for criminals? afterall, if you go over 55MPH, that is speeding. The left lane is for speeders? (who claim to be passing), only to go on and break more speeding laws?

Date: July 21, 2008 05:14PM

Slow Down, YOU'RE the one who brought poor Scaggs into this free-for-all. Don't try to blame me for picking up on what you've presented. That's just like a passive-aggressive prick to blame others for the consequences of what they started.

And I'm not a "slow driver." I drive the limit - over the limit within 5 mph when I can - so I DON'T GET A FUCKING TICKET!!!! What part of $200 fine don't you understand, YDS??? That stretch of Soapstone is a speed trap, thanks to the fine folks on Catalpa, some of whom tailgate me from the stop sign, and the entire 10 yards to their turnoff. Brilliant.

Posted by: SBS ()
Date: July 21, 2008 05:34PM

jack black Wrote:
> SO let me get this...the left lane is a designated
> lane for criminals? afterall, if you go over
> 55MPH, that is speeding. The left lane is for
> speeders? (who claim to be passing), only to go on
> and break more speeding laws?

It's not rocket science. READ THE FUCKING LAW. The left lane(s) is/are for faster moving traffic. The speed is irrelevant.

Date: July 21, 2008 05:41PM

If you're impeding the flow of traffic, you're breaking the law. Speed is, indeed, irrelevant. Stay to the fucking right. You DO know right from left, don't you? If you're like most folks, your right hand is the one you use to jerk off. Capisce?

Posted by: yo ()
Date: July 21, 2008 06:09PM

If the OP is serious, he's a million times more dangerous to everyone than someone going 80+mph on the toll road...gtf over!

Date: July 21, 2008 06:36PM

The other point is, its not illegal in VA to drive constantly in the left lane, al long as you are not impeding traffic. THe OP is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2008 06:37PM by KeepOnTruckin.

Posted by: thinkbeforeyoutype ()
Date: July 21, 2008 06:46PM

while i agree it is crazy and inconsiderate to drive in the far left lane at 55 mph...there is an issue in virginia law you are missing...

in virginia if you are traveling over the posted speed limit you forfiet your lawfully granted right of way. therefore if you are speeding and you are impeaded by a driver going 55 in the left hand lane that driver has no obligation to give you the right of way since you are speeding.

ยง 46.2-823. Unlawful speed forfeits right-of-way.

The driver of any vehicle traveling at an unlawful speed shall forfeit any right-of-way which he might otherwise have under this article.

Date: July 21, 2008 06:47PM

by the way i love all you guys who are FU lawyers. you know anyone can read one code section of law..however it takes an educated person to read the next section and understand how it pertains to the previous section....however i guess that would explain the frequent posts about runs with the police/court system.

Posted by: Eastsider ()
Date: July 21, 2008 07:22PM

thinkbeforeyoutype wins.

Date: July 21, 2008 08:09PM

thinkbeforeyoutype Wrote:
> while i agree it is crazy and inconsiderate to
> drive in the far left lane at 55 mph...there is an
> issue in virginia law you are missing...
>
>

I'm not missing it. The original poster said he was driving 50 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Date: July 21, 2008 08:25PM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> I'm not missing it. The original poster said he
> was driving 50 mph in a 55 mph zone.

Exactly, pwn3d. Hey thinkbeforeyoutype, how about you read AND think before you type?

Date: July 21, 2008 09:35PM

pgens,

your right....i misread the original post that did say 50. my bad

Date: July 21, 2008 09:38PM

but....that is only if the vehicle that is attempting to overtake is traveling between 51-55 mph...which based on my time driving the the toll road is VERY unlikely in the left lane....

the moment you go travel over 55mph you lose all otherwise lawful rights of way. there is a code exception for emergency vehicles operating under emergency conditions under 46.2-920.

Date: July 22, 2008 09:21AM

thinkbeforeyoutype Wrote:
> pgens,
>
> your right....i misread the original post that did
> say 50. my bad

No prob and I was being harsh... you posted good info :)

Posted by: ltb ()
Date: July 22, 2008 09:39AM

stay away from the left lane... left lane is for me..

Posted by: TRICKIE ()
Date: July 22, 2008 04:07PM

My opinion is stay out of the far left lane. You are just encouraging other drivers to be mad at you. Plus you are not even traveling the speed limit. I would just go what the speed limit says and stay in the right lane. I never speed either so I understand. I just get out of everyone's way and allow them to p,lay like they are at Nascar and hope I don't get involved in an accident.

I am a cat lover and it's cool that you can bring Paws Scaggs to work with you. To keep your kity safe and less afraid, please put him in a travel case with a seat belt holder. That way, he won't tumble if you had to stop quickly or worse.

Trickie

Posted by: coffin ()
Date: July 22, 2008 09:55PM

Hey Trickie, do you let your cat drive? Toonces was a pretty good driver.

Posted by: fadil ()
Date: September 12, 2022 02:54AM

Thank you for nice information. Visit us https://uhamka.ac.id

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.