HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Jiffy Lube Scam caught on tape
Posted by: CO ()
Date: July 18, 2008 11:02AM

An year old report..but enough to make you keep an eye on these sneaky fucks:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jiffy Lube Scam caught on tape
Posted by: WashingToneLocian ()
Date: July 18, 2008 11:05AM

CO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An year old report..but enough to make you keep an
> eye on these sneaky fucks:
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

Jiffy Lube has actually been covered here in the past. Yes, it is a rotten place to get your oil changed. They spend most of their time trying to get you to buy services and crap you don't need. And, sometimes, the people working there for $8-an-hour forget to put oil back in your car or change the filter, etc.

I prefer to go to places that don't rely only on oil changes to make their numbers each month.

Posted by: 496 ()
Date: July 18, 2008 11:08AM

Jiffy Pube, beauces they have you by the short hairs.

Date: July 18, 2008 11:09AM

CO Wrote:
> An year old report..but enough to make you keep an
> eye on these sneaky fucks:
>
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

I just looked at the segment. That isn't "a new scam" as the reporter says. That crap has been going on with mechanics since cars have been on the road. In fact, many states have laws that require shops to show you the parts that were replaced. Unfortunately, how hard is it to show someone any old fuel filter you have lying around?

Posted by: CO ()
Date: July 18, 2008 11:10AM

Can you please recommend some good places around Chantilly/Herndon area for auto servicing? What about car dealerships? Are they any better?

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> CO Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > An year old report..but enough to make you keep
> an
> > eye on these sneaky fucks:
> >
> > http://youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI
>
>
> Jiffy Lube has actually been covered here in the
> past. Yes, it is a rotten place to get your oil
> changed. They spend most of their time trying to
> get you to buy services and crap you don't need.
> And, sometimes, the people working there for
> $8-an-hour forget to put oil back in your car or
> change the filter, etc.
>
> I prefer to go to places that don't rely only on
> oil changes to make their numbers each month.

Date: July 18, 2008 11:17AM

CO Wrote:
> Can you please recommend some good places around
> Chantilly/Herndon area for auto servicing? What
> about car dealerships? Are they any better?
>
>
>

I usually use Merchants. Their service has gone down a bit since they were acquired by Tire Kingdom, but if you aren't having anything elaborate done, they seem to be able to handle it without ripping you off.

Posted by: Corolla driver ()
Date: March 29, 2017 05:15PM

I had a wal-mart brand oil filter on my little car when I took it to Jiffy Lube. After they changed the oil and tried to sell me a bunch of other stuff I looked under the car and saw that same Wal-Mart super tech filter was on there. The oil looked fresh though. I complained to the manager and he did another oil change with new filter for free and gave me coupons for 2 free oil changes. He said it was a "honest mistake". I wonder if it was really an honest mistake or if they were trying to screw me or maybe just being lazy.
Has anyone else had shit like this from Jiffy Lube in Fairfax?

Posted by: Mick ()
Date: March 29, 2017 05:40PM

Jiffy lube is getting in a bit of a bind now that most dealers offer free oil changes when you buy a new or sometimes even used car from them. They need to upsell just to break even, and that can lead to rip-offs. Just be as careful as you can.

Posted by: xH3Mv ()
Date: March 29, 2017 06:39PM

Lazy fucks. I do my oil changes right in my garage. Might take 15 minutes tops if you're not a retard. Only way to know it's done right. Jiffy Lube is full of losers who couldn't get a job at Walmart.

Posted by: vile thuggery ()
Date: March 30, 2017 10:30AM

Corolla driver Wrote:
> I had a wal-mart brand oil filter on my little car
> when I took it to Jiffy Lube. After they changed
> the oil and tried to sell me a bunch of other
> stuff I looked under the car and saw that same
> Wal-Mart super tech filter was on there. The oil
> looked fresh though. I complained to the manager
> and he did another oil change with new filter for
> free and gave me coupons for 2 free oil changes.
> He said it was a "honest mistake". I wonder if it
> was really an honest mistake or if they were
> trying to screw me or maybe just being lazy.
> Has anyone else had shit like this from Jiffy Lube
> in Fairfax?

You could fill the entire fucking internet with jiffy lube scam stories. If you take your car there, you deserve to be fucked over.

Posted by: grophusharris ()
Date: March 30, 2017 01:13PM

One of my cars is so old that you screw off the canister, change the element and gasket. Many years back, Jiffy Lube was one of the few places that stocked elements and gaskets. I was suffering from a condition at the time which severely curtailed my activities, so I took the car to Jiffy Lube. I let them know that this car did not have a spin-on, you had to take off the canister, change the element and gasket, do not lose the spring on the bolt. I let them know that I wanted to see the old element and gasket. At that point, the guy on the counter called a senior employee.

The senior employee asked what kind of car it was. I told him. He said fine, they had the element and gasket, yes, I would get to see the old one and he told the counter guy not to bother trying to upsell, as half the stuff that they tried to upsell to you would not apply to a car so old and the other half would not be too effective. He told the counter guy simply to write a ticket for an oil change, assign it to him and he would take care of it.

They called me to come and get it, I did, I paid. The senior employee came in, showed me my old parts and said to come with him. He drove the car into the shop, put it up on a lift and showed me where I had marked the canister, bolt and crankcase and to note that the marks were now out of alignment (meaning that the oil changer had moved the parts). He told me that I was on my game about places like this, but he just worked there, so he did what he could. He said that his boss asked him about it, but he told him that the car was so old and the owner (me) was hip, so just change the oil, get the money for that and get the guy (me) out of the shop. I told him usually I do the work, but, as he could see, I could not do it, in my then condition. I gave him a fin and told him to buy himself a coffee now and a beer when he got off. This was some time back, mind you.

I still have the car. You can go to a speed shop and buy an adapter for a spin-on for this, I just never have.

Posted by: In reality........... ()
Date: April 01, 2017 08:47AM

...........The scams at Jiffy lube are very rare. Jiffy lube changes more oil than any other company and they do it honestly and properly 99.4% of the time. Jiffy lube is far more honest and competent than most small automotive shops when it comes to oil changes. You can trust Jiffy lube!

Please use the coupon code to enjoy this great deal!
Attachments:
jiffy-lube-.jpg

Posted by: Time is money ()
Date: April 01, 2017 09:32AM

xH3Mv Wrote:
> Lazy fucks. I do my oil changes right in my
> garage. Might take 15 minutes tops if you're not a
> retard. Only way to know it's done right. Jiffy
> Lube is full of losers who couldn't get a job at
> Walmart.

I do major repairs myself but oil changes I let the dealership handle. It's actually cheaper to get it done at the dealership. 6 quarts of synthetic, oil filter, filter gasket and a drain plug gasket runs about $60 at a auto store. The dealership always sends me coupons for $40 oil changes.

Posted by: Roffo ()
Date: April 01, 2017 09:41AM

WashingToneLocian Wrote:
> CO Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Can you please recommend some good places
> around
> > Chantilly/Herndon area for auto servicing? What
> > about car dealerships? Are they any better?
> >
> >
> >
>
> I usually use Merchants. Their service has gone
> down a bit since they were acquired by Tire
> Kingdom, but if you aren't having anything
> elaborate done, they seem to be able to handle it
> without ripping you off.

I stay away from Merchants. They always find things wrong during routine service which are costly. I am sure most of these repair franchises pay their people commission for selling services not needed. And they really take advantage of women.

Posted by: grophusharris ()
Date: April 01, 2017 10:22AM

Roffo Wrote:

> I stay away from Merchants. They always find
> things wrong during routine service which are
> costly. I am sure most of these repair franchises
> pay their people commission for selling services
> not needed. And they really take advantage of
> women.

The whole purpose of these "service specials" is so that they can get you in there and sell stuff to you that you do not need. FRONT END ALIGNMENT, SPECIAL! $59,95!!!!!! Problem is, you go in there and they want to sell you eight hundred dollars worth of front end work that you do not need or the alignment "won't take". I had a car that I knew had front end problems, so I took it to my mechanic and he replaced the necessary parts. The inspection was running out, so I took it for inspection and it passed. Still, when you replace parts like that, you need an alignment. So I went to get one. They presented me with a nine hundred dollar estimate. I started to ask questions, so they got the "mechanic" who looked at the car. His breath knocked me almost dead. This guy needed a root canal and was trying to get me to pay for it by getting creative with his pencil. He gave me the detailed "explanation". I asked him if he noted the inspection sticker on the car and that it was two days old. "

"Oh, that don't mean nothin' " was his reply. I asked for the Manager, then pulled out the receipts for the parts and the bill from my mechanic. I asked their "mechanic" and his boss if those receipts "didn't mean nothin' neither". I then asked them if they were going to do the alignment without this work that I did not need or did I need to call Consumer Protection? They did the alignment.

Dealers are no better. The mechanics get a commission. The more "work" that they do, the more that they get paid. Some other shops are like this, too. Then, there are places like Jiffy Lube where if the employee does not meet his "upsell" quota, he gets fired.

There are some gas stations like that, too. I know one guy who used to work at a gas station like that. They would tell people that they needed the air in their tyres changed and charge them $5. Once they did a few of those, they wrote up an oil change ticket and put the money in the till. This place also docked you for shortages, and every employee always came up "short".

These days, since all of these gas stations have convenience stores, the employees rip you off because when certain inventory items are short, the employer docks the employee. This is why when you go inside to a gas station, the Ethiopian there ignores you because he is inventorying cigaret packs. If a pack is missing, he pays. He is constantly inventorying cigaret packs so that his boss doesn't try to cheat him. Still, he overcharges and shortchanges as many people as he can so if his boss does charge him, he has your money to pay off the boss and he doesn't lose anything.

Posted by: The simple solution ()
Date: April 01, 2017 10:41AM

Just say no to anything other than the oil change.

Posted by: m93KD ()
Date: April 01, 2017 11:14AM

6 quarts of
> synthetic, oil filter, filter gasket and a drain
> plug gasket runs about $60 at a auto store.

Oil filters come with a built-in gasket and I've never changed a 'drain plug gasket'. And before you call me a retard or an idiot, I keep my cars for an average of 150,000 miles.

Posted by: phelpsmarc ()
Date: April 01, 2017 04:30PM

Yean, Jiffy Lube is known for trying to sell extra stuff you don't need ASAP. All you have to do is say no thank you, then you can shop around for the stuff they pointed out.

I've seen old ladies get charged over $200. I am confident they had stuff done they didn't really need.

Interestingly, when I lived in Roanoke, VA, the local Jiffy Lube did not try the hard sell tactics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2017 04:30PM by phelpsmarc.

Posted by: toe jamb driver ()
Date: April 01, 2017 04:51PM

m93KD Wrote:
> 6 quarts of
> > synthetic, oil filter, filter gasket and a
> drain
> > plug gasket runs about $60 at a auto store.
>
> Oil filters come with a built-in gasket and I've
> never changed a 'drain plug gasket'. And before
> you call me a retard or an idiot, I keep my cars
> for an average of 150,000 miles.

Exactly,
I replaced one drain plug gasket in 25 years of doing most of the oil changes on various multiple vehicles I have owned over the years.
5 quarts of full synthetic walmart brand oil is about 23 bucks and a decent filter (gasket included) is about 5 bucks. The walmart oil is made by Shell-Texaco (havoline) and it is good quality oil. My oldest vehicle has about 270,000 on it and the other two have over 100,000 miles.

Posted by: VIOC ()
Date: April 03, 2017 05:28PM

Valvoline instant oil change can be trusted unlike Jiffy lube.

https://www.vioc.com/

Posted by: p9EYc ()
Date: April 03, 2017 07:23PM

Oil change discounts that sell oil changes without cost of labor (less than cost of parts)

ARE ILLEGAL. IT'S CALLED DUMPING ON THE MARKET.

it frequently comes with verbal assault by managers to the employess that they will do the work at reduced pay or be fired

WHICH IS ALSO ILLEGAL

Fairfax is worth nothing except prosecuting.

Posted by: Unhappy Jiffy Lube Customer ()
Date: April 26, 2017 10:59AM

Last week I went to the Jiffy Lube on Van Dorn street. The illiterate Mexican gang banger wanna be that was the "Customer Advisor" said I was 1/2 a quart low and needed a $31 additive called EXP. He said it just matter of factly. I said I just wanted a synthetic oil change and nothing else. When I was called to pay the charge was still there. I said no and had to get the manager involved. They did take the charge off, but I think they put the crap in my engine anyways. I won't be going back there, and guess it is back to the dealership for me.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.