HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Anybody know some good thrift stores around here?
Posted by: video gamer ()
Date: January 25, 2013 10:37AM

Mostly wanting to see how many places would have some old cheap video games.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anybody know some good thrift stores around here?
Posted by: Corinithian Leather ()
Date: January 25, 2013 11:05AM

I am a thrift store shopper by hobby and competitive sport. Although others might suggest Unique in Merrifield, I think the best deals to be found (and best selection) are out-of-the way, smaller thrift stores. The (elderly) volunteers sometimes aren't so savvy about value and the price will reflect this.

May I suggest:

Pennywise (Vienna)

Innova Fair Oaks (relatively larger, but great prices - Bowl America shopping center/fairfax Circle)

Goodwill (Fairfax - 123 - by Fairfax Square in shopping center where Yesterday's Rose had original location)

Innova Fairfax Hospital (but has a different name) in downtown Springfield/KMART shopping center.

In general, the older thrift stores in old strip malls are where you find the best treasures. I find that collectible items hang around there longer, as many of the patrons are focusing on essentials like clothing and houseware items.

One more: on Brandon Ave. in Springfield there's a very small thrift store near where Talbots used to be. It is in the building perpendicular to the taller medical office building.

Posted by: Good Will ()
Date: January 25, 2013 11:18AM

The best Good will in the area is the one off of Glebe, but Fairfax is good. Think of who lives nearby and what they want to get rid of. Manassass, not very good stuff.....

Posted by: Que? ()
Date: January 25, 2013 11:33AM

How can there be an good thrift store shopping around here when everything is picked over by the central americans?

Posted by: Corinithain Leather ()
Date: January 25, 2013 11:49AM

The merchandise is not picked over; in general, the thrift store hobbyists are not in competition with the shoppers looking to outfit their families with the basics. I am a well-dressed, suburban, middle-class mom who scores bargains on new furniture (!), vintage housewares, decor items and designer clothes for myself. I supplement my kids' wardrobes with new-with-tags clothing items.

It's a win-win: I donate *weekly* to the thrift stores I frequent.

Date: January 25, 2013 01:33PM

The Closet, Herndon - open 10a-2p on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays.

Posted by: Major Barbara ()
Date: January 25, 2013 06:17PM

Salvation Army is on Little River turnpike is great. Well organized and really good deals. Word to the wise: avoid Wednesdays - - it is discount day and awash with our undocumented "guests".

Posted by: Dana Pham ()
Date: January 25, 2013 06:45PM

I definitely would avoid Unique Thrift...

Posted by: nostradamus ()
Date: January 26, 2013 08:47AM

Unique in Falls Church has a huge selection of clothing, but bring a man with you for safety. The hispanics always look like they are on the verge of rioting.

Posted by: Mr. X ()
Date: January 26, 2013 11:57AM

Walmart. Some of their stuff looks almost new.

Posted by: Edna ()
Date: January 26, 2013 11:26PM

The Bargain Loft in Herndon has top of the line furniture and collectibles and the prices are good. The Goodwill in Herndon is very expensive.
There is a thrift store at Old Lee and Rt 50 run by the Friends of Homeless Animals..very good items and prices. The one on Rt 7, Sterling near the movie theaters has good items and prices. Call these places to see if they have video games.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.