HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Cardinal AAU
Posted by: bballer ()
Date: January 22, 2013 02:50AM

Anyone know what's going on with the Cardinal organization?
It appears that most of the coaches are taking their teams to Tigers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cardinal AAU
Posted by: bballertoo ()
Date: January 22, 2013 06:41AM

Girls or boys? I hope not girls... was gonna take my kid over to that club

Posted by: bballer ()
Date: January 22, 2013 05:26PM

The Tigers will only be for girls. So yes, looks like it is the girl teams that will be impacted.

Posted by: Tiger Cardinal ()
Date: January 22, 2013 06:38PM

The Cardinal AAU page says they are "Cardinal Tournaments" and " Tiger" teams. Not sure why the split, maybe they are just separating the teams from the tournaments,

Posted by: LB ()
Date: January 22, 2013 08:44PM

Transfer to lb

Posted by: not a tiger ()
Date: January 24, 2013 07:57PM

From what I heard only 1-2 teams are leaving Cardinal for the Tigers. Cardinal will be stronger than ever this upcoming season- tryout dates should be announced very soon. The girls with Cardinal have had some great teams recently and a lot of the girls who play with them get scholarships to great D1 schools like Hofstra, Delaware, and James Madison. My daughters have played Cardinal forever, and love it and have gotten so much better.

Posted by: Old news ()
Date: January 27, 2013 12:12AM

Those scholarships were from the older team last year. With Coach King putting all his time and resources into them it ticked off other coaches and teams. Cardinal was made by the creator of the Tigers. he wanted to come back to coaching and not there. I think that speaks volumes. The older team for 2013 is considering a move to tiger aau. That would leave Cardinal with 4 teams. It was great at one time but that time has passed.

Posted by: cardinal player ()
Date: January 27, 2013 02:08PM

I am a player on the older team and we aren't leaving Cardinal at all. We never considered leaving Cardinal. lol at the thought that we're leaving.

Posted by: AAU coach ()
Date: January 27, 2013 09:52PM

I think it's funny seeing someone saying that the Cardinal time has passed- when the thing that the time has passed is actually the Tournaments that are run by the folks at Tiger now. They used to have great tournaments but now, you're lucky to see 20 teams there. And, if they are using West Potomac as their primary gym for their tournaments going forward- that school is awful for 3 games at a time- not to mention the dungeon of a back gym they have.

Posted by: Bball parent ()
Date: January 28, 2013 07:33PM

Cardinal has and will always be about players that already have skills and can get in to any school. What about the players that just want to play. They have coaches that just play the all stars and bench the players that have potential but are not given a chance. Maybe another organization in the area is a good idea one that will work with kids that just want to play. Not one that will bench them. On another note, for those of you that don't know King can't get gym space in any Fairfax County school. Hmmmmmm wonder why? Funny how now that he is at Riverdale some Cardinal players have moved there. Guess he will get his minion Mary to do this dirty work now. Heaven help Cardinal if that happens.

Posted by: another bball parent ()
Date: January 28, 2013 08:33PM

Wow, how can you say that when they don't cut anyone. I've seen so many girls that started out as not much with Cardinal wind up making varsity teams because of the work Cardinal coaches put in. So to be saying they just play the all stars is frankly a joke.

Posted by: Yet another ball parent ()
Date: January 28, 2013 10:27PM

Of course they won't cut any kids, that would mean they would cut the money. What's a joke is that watching Cardinal play other Cardinal teams in so called tournaments. That a freaking joke! Ha ha

Posted by: AAU Coach ()
Date: January 29, 2013 10:23PM

I have no idea what these parents are talking about- Cardinal is one of the best at developing players quite frankly. Do you really think those girls on King's team last year just walked into the gym when they were 7 or 8 and just dominated right away? No. Those girls put in a lot of hard work and that's why they are where they are. Local tournaments when you get to a certain point don't mean anything at all. It's the exposure tournaments where the rubber meets the road, and Cardinal teams travel big time for those tournaments. I know they always go up to Albany, but also play in Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Florida, and Tennessee to just name a few.

Posted by: Bball parent ()
Date: January 30, 2013 01:19PM

Besides his team there are other teams. And those teams do not get as much as his team does. Heck there are even teams that did not have a coach but he sure took money from them. If you're not an A team player then you get nothing. We all know its the truth. Yes back in the day Cardinal was something. The ride has ended and the organization is falling apart why, because when greed shows its face all good good things come to an end. What King has done for some of these kids is wonderful but he also left a lot of them out in the cold and just used their parents money.

Posted by: Dan Allen 2 ()
Date: January 30, 2013 04:04PM

Cardinal is the only AAU club that would hire me as a coach. Thanks Stan

Posted by: Tigers ()
Date: January 31, 2013 01:45PM

Wow,
just looking on the site, looks like Tigers have Johns, Williams, Farmer, and D'Anna's as coaches. Sure doesn't seem like anywhere near a lot of the coaches Cardinal had. Farmer, Williams, and D'Anna didn't coach with Cardlinal last year and John's had an older group last year.

Oh and Dan's a darn good coach, look at the girls that he's coached and how they are doing. Something like 19+ girls who made their varsity teams this year that he coached growing up. Heck, just look at their "b" team last year- I know at least 6 of them made varsity this year, and he had 2 younger girls that will likely make varsity when they get to high school. So obviously a> he can coach, and b> you can't say if you don't make the a team you get nothing. And, this is in addition to the fact that all a team members made their varsity this year.

Posted by: LOL123457 ()
Date: January 31, 2013 08:42PM

LOL umm if I am not mistaken yeah Cardinal had a million teams that King coached. Why deny all that money when you can take that money and run. Heck he even had Mary coaching. Now that's a LOL. Stop the hating and keep it moving there are plenty of kids out here for both organizations. Except one can get gym space in Fairfax County where they originate from.

Posted by: Cardinal Ball ()
Date: January 31, 2013 10:34PM

Somebody on here sure hates Cardinal, and Coaches King and Allen, in particular. It's a bunch of foolishness. You have no idea how much time these and the other Cardinal coaches put in for these girls. They have helped out many, many girls, who would never have had this kind of opportunity otherwise. It's not about money for them, or winning. It's about making the kids better people and better players.

You see how good Mount Vernon and Edison girls teams are this year? You think that is an accident? Both squads are full of Dan's and Stan's girls this year. Success brings out the haters. And Cardinal has been very successful.

Posted by: Are you serious? ()
Date: February 11, 2013 09:24AM

How dare you just focus on Mt Vernon and Edison, now I see how Cardinall basketball is, they just wanted their schools prgrams to better than the others. What about the kids that goes to Hayfield, West Potomac, TC Williams, South County, West Springfield that played under Cardinal. I guess they don't matter. Such a selfish and money hungry organization. Tiger Basketbal.. here we come !!

Posted by: holy cow! ()
Date: February 11, 2013 03:13PM

All those schools you mentioned have a lot of girls that play for Cardinal. Also schools like Washington & Lee, Robinson, Lee, Bishop Ireton, Lake Braddock and others... Not as highly concentrated as Edison or Mt Vernon, but still several of the girls. Edison and Mt Vernon just happen to have a lot of kids who play for Cardinal and they are 2 of the best teams in the region this year.

Haven't seen the all district teams for this year yet, but Cardinal players from W&L, South County, and Hayfield should be on that list. At least.

Posted by: Edison is not Cardinal ()
Date: February 12, 2013 11:50PM

There are 5 girls that play on Edison that are Cardinal players. They were on 4 teams. 2 were on Dan Allen's team and 3 were on seperate cardinal teams. 5 of the other girls were on totally different organizations. Of the 5 top scorers at Edison 3 came from Cardinal and 2 from other teams. One of the 3 from Cardinal played for Dan. Not sure how many will play for Cardinal this year. As for the argument this many girls I coached made varsity who cares! There is a huge difference in making the varsity team and playing on the varsity team. Cardinal needs to focus on what got them big in the first place. The girls side. There are always a ton of places to take your son to play basketball. Quality girls programs do not exist in the area. Cardinal was formed over 20 years ago to serve girls in the Alexandria area. They should have never strayed from that mission. The coaches mentioned who are now Tiger coaches were all cardinal coaches. Most took the year off from coaching last year. They are good coaches and Stan King would take them back with open arms. The two organizations are going to end up diluting an already small pool of aau girl basketball players. They will push the rest to other leagues like the matrix, vogues and the stars. In the end it's the kids who will suffer.

Posted by: Cardinal ()
Date: February 13, 2013 10:26AM

Good Morning... I would like to note that MOST of the Cardinal Coaches will stay with Cardinal. There are a few that will go with Tiger Basketball and all the best to them. Cardinal as always is about the children. It isn't a money making thing. There are several kids in the program who have been unable to pay and Stan has helped them along the way. Stan King is a GREAT coach and has done so much for MANY of these girls in the area. Not just at Mount Vernon or Edison. He has girls at West Springfield, Potomac, Dominion, Woodbridge, Largo, Gwynn Park, Riverdale Baptist, West Potomac, TC Williams, Forest Park, the list can go on. Most of the kids who have committed themselves to basketball have gone on to do great things. There are several kids who have committed to D1 schools and I can see a lot more of those scholarships coming their way. This is about the children's COLLEGE getting paid for. Some of you sit up here and BASH Cardinal or BASH Stan King or Dan Allen and even Mary for that matter. Each one of them have devoted TIME and MONEY to these children's basketball careers. Heck, I know for a fact that one kid is slated to start at their respective college when she gets there of which is a top D1 school. Stop trying to figure out how to bash the coaches... WHY NOT HELP? VOLUNTEER? COACH? DO SOMETHING... Or maybe you just CAN'T... Each one that I mentioned has over 12 years of experience... Think about it... WHERE IS YOUR DAUGHTER GOING TO COLLEGE? IS IT PAID OUT OF POCKET? OR ON SCHOLARSHIP? STOP THE BASHING PEOPLE!!!

Posted by: Meri ()
Date: February 13, 2013 10:44AM

Some of you are hilarious. Just as a little bit of background on me, since you think I am a joke. Oh and PLEASE feel free to come and say hello and address yourself to me.

I have coached basketball for quite a bit of years. I have always coached house league and have helped with the fundamentals of the game called basketball. Most of the girls I have coached are 7th and 8th grade girls. They then come over to Cardinal Basketball and get more development and actually do quite well. So for one person to say he had me coaching was a joke. GET OVER YOURSELF... I know what I am doing, I know the game...

Now for others that want to keep hating. My daughter moved over to Riverdale Baptist (NOT FOR STAN KING) but for the exposure. Chania is ranked in the top 100 in the nation and deserves every bit of recognition that she receives. She was offered more scholarships than most children. To name a few: Duke, Stanford, Wake Forest, VA Tech, NC State, Delaware, Towson, Hofstra, West VA just to name a few. These were FLAT OUT OFFERS. Chania started receiving offers when she was in 9th grade. She played under Dan Allen and then shifted over to Stan King. Both Coaches were able to teach her different aspects of the game and she has put in the work. Chania started out as a soccer player, dancer, softball player, so even though she was a phenom when she was younger... She had to put in the work to get where she is. It was Dan Allen and Stan King who helped her get there. The difference between Chania and these other kids is simple... I run tournaments, so she stays with me. Her life is in the gym. So instead of playing games and leaving, she stays behind and gets in shots.

Now with respect to Mount Vernon. My younger daughter Chanise is on the Mount Vernon Varsity team and is doing quite fine. She received the 2nd most votes in the District for the All Rookie Team and Coach Courtney is pulling out the best in her. Chanise will continue to play for Coach Stan King and Coach Carroll Payton. She too puts in the work and will be something special in the coming years.

My son, who ALSO plays for Cardinal. He is a PG and probably one of the best in the league. He attends camps and plays for Cardinal Basketball. Again, he puts in the work. He gets up shots EVERY TIME HE CAN. He will go to the courts after school and just shoot around.

So with all of this being said... It is time to stop complaining and step up to volunteer. That is if you know what you are doing... I'm sick and tired of this lame message board bashing the people who get the kids the scholarship money to attend school. I just don't get it... When will you get a life??? Since some of you know exactly who I am, please make yourself known to me. I'm not a kid and I WON'T hide behind another screen name...

Posted by: jamari ()
Date: May 13, 2013 07:16PM

Hi.My Name Is Jamari , Im 15 and I Was Just Wondering If you Have A Summer League,and if so Is It too Late To Try Out? Thanks,

Posted by: Naismith ()
Date: May 13, 2013 08:16PM

Meri Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some of you are hilarious. Just as a little bit
> of background on me, since you think I am a joke.
> Oh and PLEASE feel free to come and say hello and
> address yourself to me.
>
> I have coached basketball for quite a bit of
> years. I have always coached house league and
> have helped with the fundamentals of the game
> called basketball. Most of the girls I have
> coached are 7th and 8th grade girls. They then
> come over to Cardinal Basketball and get more
> development and actually do quite well. So for
> one person to say he had me coaching was a joke.
> GET OVER YOURSELF... I know what I am doing, I
> know the game...
>
> Now for others that want to keep hating. My
> daughter moved over to Riverdale Baptist (NOT FOR
> STAN KING) but for the exposure. Chania is ranked
> in the top 100 in the nation and deserves every
> bit of recognition that she receives. She was
> offered more scholarships than most children. To
> name a few: Duke, Stanford, Wake Forest, VA Tech,
> NC State, Delaware, Towson, Hofstra, West VA just
> to name a few. These were FLAT OUT OFFERS.
> Chania started receiving offers when she was in
> 9th grade. She played under Dan Allen and then
> shifted over to Stan King. Both Coaches were able
> to teach her different aspects of the game and she
> has put in the work. Chania started out as a
> soccer player, dancer, softball player, so even
> though she was a phenom when she was younger...
> She had to put in the work to get where she is.
> It was Dan Allen and Stan King who helped her get
> there. The difference between Chania and these
> other kids is simple... I run tournaments, so she
> stays with me. Her life is in the gym. So
> instead of playing games and leaving, she stays
> behind and gets in shots.
>
> Now with respect to Mount Vernon. My younger
> daughter Chanise is on the Mount Vernon Varsity
> team and is doing quite fine. She received the
> 2nd most votes in the District for the All Rookie
> Team and Coach Courtney is pulling out the best in
> her. Chanise will continue to play for Coach Stan
> King and Coach Carroll Payton. She too puts in
> the work and will be something special in the
> coming years.
>
> My son, who ALSO plays for Cardinal. He is a PG
> and probably one of the best in the league. He
> attends camps and plays for Cardinal Basketball.
> Again, he puts in the work. He gets up shots
> EVERY TIME HE CAN. He will go to the courts after
> school and just shoot around.
>
> So with all of this being said... It is time to
> stop complaining and step up to volunteer. That
> is if you know what you are doing... I'm sick and
> tired of this lame message board bashing the
> people who get the kids the scholarship money to
> attend school. I just don't get it... When will
> you get a life??? Since some of you know exactly
> who I am, please make yourself known to me. I'm
> not a kid and I WON'T hide behind another screen
> name...

You go, Meri! She speaks truth, y'all. Success brings out such jealousy.

Posted by: NTHEKNOW ()
Date: February 10, 2014 05:49PM

Meri,

Let's talk about your outlook and decision making. 4 kids out of wedlock from 4 different fathers. You on the welfare roles were your bastard children played for free. How many times have you been ejected from running your ghetto ass mouth?

Posted by: Vogues ()
Date: April 09, 2014 11:37AM

Tiger basketball and all that are associated with them are a bigger joke

Posted by: Outside observer ()
Date: April 09, 2014 02:36PM

Meri, I don't quite know what to say, but when you make a statement like:

"Some of you are hilarious. Just as a little bit of background on me, since you think I am a joke. Oh and PLEASE feel free to come and say hello and address yourself to me."

I wonder how much time you stand in fron of a mirror "addressing yourself"!!!!!!!

Actually, about 20 years ago, AAU became the primary source for scouting and recruiting by college coaches.

I do have one other question about grils basketball though. Does the Mt. Vernon coach still communicate his high ethical and moral standing to his players via Twitter?

Posted by: vcxYN ()
Date: April 09, 2014 02:46PM

the kids the scholarship money to attend school

no. that ended with bulove and 1998 when gov started writing loans to up their teacher pay. ie, foreigners or any just sign away. it justifies the teachers pay.

your double dribbling. pick up the pace.

Posted by: WLDkx ()
Date: November 30, 2016 08:12PM

Old news Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Those scholarships were from the older team last
> year. With Coach King putting all his time and
> resources into them it ticked off other coaches
> and teams. Cardinal was made by the creator of
> the Tigers. he wanted to come back to coaching
> and not there. I think that speaks volumes. The
> older team for 2013 is considering a move to tiger
> aau. That would leave Cardinal with 4 teams. It
> was great at one time but that time has passed.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.