HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
New Aldi's Centerville Rd/rt 50
Posted by: Finally a new Grocery ()
Date: November 29, 2012 08:27AM

There is a new Aldi's being put in where the Shoppers was at Centerville Road and 50, in Chantilly.

I have never been in an Aldi's and wonder if anyone can tell me what they are like?

I wonder if they will stay around? Grocery stores in this area seem to open and close a lot in the past few years.

Is it like Wegmans, Food Lion, etc? Do they sell specialty foods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Aldi's Centerville Rd/rt 50
Posted by: vic hitler ()
Date: November 29, 2012 08:34AM

This German owned chain sells only its in house products. Too me the prices are just okay considering and have always found them to have a shortage of cashiers. I have been to the one in Manassas and several down N.C. It most definitely is not like a Wegman's or Whole Foods or even Harris Teeter. I would have preferred the Shoppers staying put.

btws, the german company that owns Aldi also owns Trader Joe's. Would have preferred a Trader Joe's out that way. But germans are efficent lot and their market studies must have indicated the surrounding population is lower class. ha ha

Posted by: Aldi ()
Date: November 29, 2012 08:36AM

Aldi's is horrible. Nothing fresh, no meats, or vegetables. It's low end, and I mean LOW end no-name products which don't sell anywhere else. It's horrible.

Posted by: ratcyst bastard ()
Date: November 29, 2012 08:54AM

"Nothing fresh, no meats, or vegetables"

They do so have meats and veggies its just that....well you know those shelves at Giant were they put food stuffs on the verge of expiration? well thats the kind of stuff aldi's sells every day

I hate to say this but your better off just going to the Super H mart even if the place is dirty(health department lookee other way for the poor new arrivals) or the Food Lion down the road

Posted by: nuttyturnip ()
Date: November 29, 2012 09:26AM

As others have said, Aldi is extremely low end. Mostly their own brand stuff, small store (they're usually about half the size of that Shoppers) and you have to pay for each plastic bag you use.

Posted by: NoPanic ()
Date: November 29, 2012 10:27AM

Aldi is basically a German-owned Food Lion. Not sure why the Shopper's there closed since it seems like a good location for a grocery store, but agree that a Harris Teeter or Trader Joe's (although the space is far too big) would be a better fit.

Posted by: Jess1 ()
Date: November 29, 2012 10:37AM

That's an insult to Food Lion. Aldies is horrifically bad - off brand products, poor interiors (dirty, products stacked helter skelter), etc. But hey, it's an upgrade for most of Gerry's kids!

Posted by: That Guy ()
Date: November 29, 2012 02:11PM

I spent a few years in Germany, and Aldi was incredible over there. Here in the US, it is definitely a budget grocery store, but it is nowhere NEAR as bad as you people here are making it out to be.

Back in college when I was broke, I used to shop exclusively at Aldi and I never found ANYTHING bad there. Is it as nice as a Harris Teeter? No. But it is also significantly cheaper.

Some of you people need to STFU.

Posted by: Thinkbox MC ()
Date: November 29, 2012 02:43PM

That Guy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I spent a few years in Germany, and Aldi was
> incredible over there. Here in the US, it is
> definitely a budget grocery store, but it is
> nowhere NEAR as bad as you people here are making
> it out to be.
>
> Back in college when I was broke, I used to shop
> exclusively at Aldi and I never found ANYTHING bad
> there. Is it as nice as a Harris Teeter? No.
> But it is also significantly cheaper.
>
> Some of you people need to STFU.

you shut the fuck up. go back to Germany you boxed goods fag. Aldi sucks asshole.

Thinkbox out.

Heroes Get Remembered. Legends Never Die.

Posted by: really though ()
Date: November 29, 2012 04:07PM

Aldi rules...your music sucks...get it right

Thinkbox get out

Posted by: That Guy ()
Date: November 29, 2012 04:53PM

Thinkbox, everyone here hates you. Seriously.

Kill yourself.

Posted by: Wegman's Jihadist ()
Date: November 29, 2012 05:45PM

Aldi is cheaper than Shopper's Food Warehouse. It's simply the lowest-common denominator of grocery stores. Someone has to feed on the bottom and for BOVA grocery chains...that's Aldi. If you want cheap food with questionable or mis-stated nutrition shop at Aldi. If you want fresh and variety and professional chefs telling you how to prepare their entrees, go to Wegman's.

Wegman's...not better, just different.

Posted by: Duhhh ()
Date: November 29, 2012 05:56PM

Aldi is owned by Trader Joes
Same company

Aldi is cheaper

Posted by: imitation oreos ()
Date: November 29, 2012 06:23PM

Aldi is even lower than going to get food at a food pantry. End of story.

Their hams look as if they are ready to get up and run away! They also have questionable and downright disgusting items such as roast beef in a can.

Posted by: nope ()
Date: November 29, 2012 08:52PM

Duhhh Wrote:
> Aldi is owned by Trader Joes
> Same company

It's the other way around. Theo Albrecht bought Trader Joe's in 1979.

Albrecht Discount (ALDI) goes way back before that.

Posted by: FusilliJerry ()
Date: November 29, 2012 10:30PM

I have driven by the Aldi in Manassas but never went in. Don't they only take cash as well?

From the sounds of it, it sort of reminds me of the generic store that used to be in Vienna where the Fresh Market is now. Years ago like 35 years ago, it used to be an A&P and then switched to a generic store where it had the white packaging with blue stripes and said "Beer", "Rice", "Peas", etc... I can remember going up there as a kid because my parents were trying to stretch my dad's paycheck.

Posted by: Aldi sucks ass ()
Date: November 29, 2012 11:36PM

Aldo moves into pure shit neighborhoods full of illegal central Americans. That location on Rt. 50 is perfect for the shittiest supermarket on the planet.

Posted by: Jethro BoDean ()
Date: November 30, 2012 02:37AM

Please shop at Chantilly Cash and Carry under new management except its old management with a new twist

Posted by: yup ()
Date: November 30, 2012 11:07AM

really though Wrote:
> Aldi rules...your music sucks...get it right
>
> Thinkbox get out

+1

Posted by: TheMeeper ()
Date: November 30, 2012 11:26AM

Aldi is low budget, and no they don't take credit cards (they cut corners wherever they can to save money). I haven't been to the ones around here, but the location I visited in PA was a little crummy and depressing. It caters to people looking for the cheapest groceries you can buy. You have to pay for your bags, put a coin deposit down for a shopping cart (so you don't leave it out in the parking lot), and alot of stuff isn't put on shelves- it's just stacked right there on the floor.

That being said, you can find crazy good deals on basic pantry items like canned goods. Big cans of crushed tomatoes for like .49 cents, cheap canned vegetables, and I think I got a dozen cans of tomato paste for like 4 bucks. Not sure what the rest of their stuff is like but it's not bad if you want to stock up on stuff for cheap.

Posted by: Finally a new Grocery ()
Date: November 30, 2012 11:36AM

Aldi sucks ass Wrote:
> Aldo moves into pure shit neighborhoods full of
> illegal central Americans. That location on Rt.
> 50 is perfect for the shittiest supermarket on the
> planet.

How is that area "shitty" as you put it?

Yes there are some apartment complexes with in a mile that I would never live in, but within that same radius are plenty of nice single family homes and town houses.

And while I wouldn't live in those complexes, they are hardly ghetto or "little Tijuana".

Posted by: trogdor! ()
Date: November 30, 2012 10:29PM

vic hitler Wrote:

>
> btws, the german company that owns Aldi also owns
> Trader Joe's.

Funny. that makes perfect sense now. Aldi does seem like a low end Trader Joe's.

Posted by: Iron sheik ()
Date: November 30, 2012 10:32PM

Thinkbox MC Wrote:
> That Guy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I spent a few years in Germany, and Aldi was
> > incredible over there. Here in the US, it is
> > definitely a budget grocery store, but it is
> > nowhere NEAR as bad as you people here are
> making
> > it out to be.
> >
> > Back in college when I was broke, I used to
> shop
> > exclusively at Aldi and I never found ANYTHING
> bad
> > there. Is it as nice as a Harris Teeter? No.
> > But it is also significantly cheaper.
> >
> > Some of you people need to STFU.
>
>
> you shut the fuck up. go back to Germany you
> boxed goods fag. Aldi sucks asshole.

you are gay, and faggot!!

Posted by: midwest refugee ()
Date: December 01, 2012 12:50AM

I can't believe this hoity toity area is getting an Aldi's! It makes Shoppers look like a fucking Dean & Deluca. This is where ghetto goes to die.

Shitbox, seriously. Drink Drano.

Posted by: wenbsyiwll ()
Date: December 01, 2012 05:32PM

is it open yet?

Posted by: Dr. Venkman ()
Date: December 21, 2012 04:12PM

Yes, it's open. I went this afternoon to check it out. First off, make sure you have a quarter ready to rent a shopping cart. You get the quarter back when you return the cart. Also, they do not accept credit cards and do not have bags or used grocery boxes for your groceries so be sure to bring your own bags.

The store is small and has only 5 aisles. Everything (minus a half dozen or so items) is their own brand and selection is limited.

The quality seems to be on par with name brand goods and there are serious bargains to be found. They have various large containers of spices for .99 and loaves of high quality (it's really good!) bread free of corn syrup for .25 a loaf.

I also bought a bag of veggie chips that taste better than the ones I buy at Giant and cost a third the price. They have a really impressive selection of European chocolates and cookies but I didn't buy any.

Overall, they don't offer enough items to make this your regular supermarket but it's a great place to go for bargain hunting.

Posted by: sort of funny ()
Date: January 05, 2013 03:15PM

i went in the new aldi today, and while i was in line the cashier made a face and all of a sudden i smelled a rank odor. she sighed and said "oh god" and put her hand up to her face. and then i really smelled something awful, yuck, and it seemed to get worse. i asked her what that was and she said their plumbing was all backed up and the i realized it was a sewage smell. really powerful too, someone must have opened the bathroom door. she said people were going to stop coming in if they didn't get it fixed, lol, it was BAD.

pretty good deals on canned stuff. they really need to get rid of that shit smell though.

Posted by: Auntie Zetuni ()
Date: January 06, 2013 05:00PM

So they take EBT Cards and not Credit Cards? WTF!!!

Posted by: L'oven Aldi ()
Date: January 07, 2013 11:27AM

Auntie Zetuni Wrote:
> So they take EBT Cards and not Credit Cards?
> WTF!!!

Credit Cards cost money.. EBT and debit cards do not.. also all bags are charged for and the carts have a $0.25 deposit (if someone does not return their cart someone else will to get the $0.25)

All of this helps save $$$ and the savings are passed along to the customers..

They have the same manufacturer for their brand breakfast cerials as Wegmans, Harris Teeter and Giant and almost all of Aldi's are well below $2.00 a box..

Posted by: Natalie G ()
Date: June 02, 2013 07:18PM

GREAT STORE. I love it

Posted by: So sorry I voted for Obama ()
Date: June 02, 2013 07:19PM

Sounds like a good store.

Posted by: uh-huh ()
Date: June 02, 2013 07:28PM

Have always enjoyed going to Aldi's and see what kind of great deals they have. Canned good are the best prices anywhere, in fact everything I have found there is better prices. It's like Big Lots, but little. Perhaps the people that don't have a cash dollar to their name wouldn't like it since Aldi's doesn't take credit cards. And you've already heard from all the high class folks that wouldn't be caught dead darkening Aldi's doorstep. Fine, more for us.

Posted by: So sorry I voted for Obama ()
Date: June 02, 2013 07:31PM

That's right.

Posted by: Aldi is ok ()
Date: June 02, 2013 07:47PM

Aldi sucks for every day stuff but their selection of gourmet cheeses and chocolates is amazing.

Posted by: So v sorry I voted for Obama ()
Date: June 02, 2013 07:49PM

I got to agree with you.

Posted by: Aldi's good? ()
Date: June 03, 2013 05:48PM

In what part of Germany was Aldi's good? I lived in Berlin and was found myself at Aldi's in Berlin proper and out in Brandenburg. Each location was horrible. I can't imagine walking into Aldi's when Lotte is around the corner. If I want terrible service and questionable products I'll walk into Food Lion, Giant, or Safeway.

Posted by: Ye Ole Woodson Man ()
Date: June 03, 2013 11:24PM

That shopping center is a fly trap easy in hard to get out. Aldi's has got great values, a basic's store. House brands and some name brands, They have a great frozen pizza thin crust sausage and peperoni about 5.99.and other very good frozen pizzas the same price. They have Butterball turkeys at holidays at very good prices. Some fresh meats, milk eggs all cheap. Good Value for a family on a budget with canned goods, cereals the milk and eggs, bread.

Posted by: Refugee ()
Date: June 10, 2013 05:03PM

I'm not suprised that Aldi is creeping north (I grew up in nova but moved south). They have one in a town about an hour from me that is very low income and that place blows the doors off. I will admit that I am a fan of Aldi. I will deal with putting a quarter in the cart and bringing my own bags (which I bring anyways b/c of the environment). They have such good deals on some pretty decent stuff. Their brand isn't bad and the ingredients all seem the same as any other brand. They have name brand stuff on sale a lot too. Any of their dairy products are good and they are so damn cheap. Suprisingly, their fresh salsa and chicken salad are delicious and shockingly cheap. A thing of fresh salsa is 1.99. You pay close to $5 at Kroger for the same quality. You can get a take and bake cheese pizza for 4.99 and its really good. I don't like their produce though. It's a little sketchy. The place is def a cheap ass grocery store but it is always clean and the employees are really nice. A good place to stock up on some things but I couldn't go there exclusively.

Posted by: Publix is next ()
Date: June 18, 2013 02:30PM

Friend of mine lives in Stafford, says they are talking about a new publix coming there. Can't wait for the piggly wiggly next

Posted by: Sarita Evans ()
Date: June 20, 2014 12:35AM

I'm surprised someone so low class as you, who is capable of writing this:
"Aldi sucks ass Wrote:
> Aldo moves into pure shit neighborhoods full of
> illegal central Americans. That location on Rt.
> 50 is perfect for the shittiest supermarket on the
> planet."

On a public review website thinks, deserves any better....
Even if you were to shop at a fancy, top class grocery store, would not change you or your shitty personality.

Next time you want to leave feedback on anything speak for your own experiences, don't involve other cultures or stereotype a place for its surroundings....
Your review does not say anything about the store itself, but it does say a lot about you.... Think about that!!!

Posted by: Jason K ()
Date: June 20, 2014 01:07AM

Don't forget about the one coming to Fairfax City LOL

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.