HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
Screenwriters, Actors, Filmmakers, Producers...
Posted by: 19W ()
Date: June 30, 2008 01:30PM

NoVA-based indie filmmakers 19th & Wilson (TechFellas, I.T.Never Ends) are hosting an event on July 17th at the JW Marriott in Washington DC—a chance to meet Jim Mercurio—one of the top script consultants in the country!

It'll be a great event for screenwriters, actors, filmmakers, producers—or anyone interested in breaking into film!

Check out 19W.com for more details.

19W_EVENT_TEASER2.jpg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Screenwriters, Actors, Filmmakers, Producers...
Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: June 30, 2008 01:33PM

Talk about blasts from the past!!!!!

Date: June 30, 2008 01:49PM

inkahootz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Talk about blasts from the past!!!!!

19W is also gearing up for the full-length feature Bunnyman Bridge, inspired by the local urban legend. ;)

Come out to the event and help support local indie film, and gain some valuable insight from Jim Mercurio—the type that's typically only available in LA or NYC!

Picture44-2.png

Posted by: inkahootz ()
Date: June 30, 2008 01:52PM

You really did make the film about it! I didn't think you were serious!!!

Date: June 30, 2008 01:58PM

inkahootz Wrote:
> You really did make the film about it! I didn't
> think you were serious!!!

It's been in pre-production limbo for the longest time, but recent heightened interest from Lionsgate has helped!

Here's a link to a local article that just came out:
http://connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?article=316632&paper=81&cat=104

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 01, 2008 02:32AM

Opposed townsfolk? At least the plot to the movie is believable. I admit I will see this film in whatever form it arrives in. The article implied a low-budget version already exists, can I get it somewhere?

Posted by: RESton Peace ()
Date: July 01, 2008 02:34AM

Oh and just so you know, I am actually the Clifton resident quoted in your flyer, so you can take the 'anonymous' off before I sue you.

Posted by: Radiophile ()
Date: July 01, 2008 08:39AM

For those REALLY interested in Fine Cinema and Good Filmaking and want to stay in Fairfax County, the Legendary Lloyd Kauffman will be making an appearance at the Cinema Arts theater in July. I am thinking a perfect place for the next FU Summit. Here is the press release.

Added: (Fri May 30 2008)
LLOYD KAUFMAN PREMIERES “POULTRYGEIST” AT THE SPOOKY MOVIE FILM FESTIVAL: MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S SCREAM

THURSDAY, JULY 17, 2008 | FAIRFAX, VIRGINIA

THE SPOOKY MOVIE FILM FESTIVAL is proud to announce that director and president of Troma Films, Lloyd Kaufman, will be on hand for the D.C. area premiere of his latest film POULTRYGEIST: NIGHT OF THE CHICKEN DEAD on Thursday, July 17, 2008.

The CITIZEN KANE of zombie chicken movies, Lloyd Kaufman’s most impressive tour-de-farce since the original and wildly influential TOXIC AVENGER, has taken audiences, and critics, by storm one city, and one theatre, at a time. A cautionary tale of what happens when you build a fast food (chicken) restaurant on top of an ancient Native American burial ground, and then set it to music; POULTRYGEIST helps anchor our inaugural “TSMFF: Midsummer Night’s Scream.”

“We're looking forward to bringing our fowl movement to D.C.,” said Mr. Kaufman. “The home of so many wonderful chicken zombies!”

In a summer over-stuffed with remakes, sequels, reboots and remakes of sequel reboots, it’s nice to know that Troma, celebrating its 35th Anniversary, is looking out for us. “It's a veritable Cluckwork Orange!” raves Lisa Nesselson, from Variety. “It takes up where the punctured glutton in MONTY PYTHON’S THE MEANING OF LIFE left off!”

And from Nathan Lee in The New York Times: “Within the context of its genre – the satirical sexploitation zombie chicken gross-out musical extravaganza – it is just about as perfect as a film predicated on the joys of projectile vomiting and explosive diarrhea can be...POULTRYGEIST plays like a grindhouse analogue to the sloppy, psychosexual provocations of the performance artist Paul McCarthy and is, in its lowbrow way, every bit as liberating.”

“A masterpiece!” declares Ain’t It Cool News. “FAST FOOD NATION meets SHAUN OF THE DEAD!”

And from Entertainment Weekly’s Owen Gleiberman: “POULTYGEIST is as savage as DAWN OF THE DEAD, as slapstick nutzoid as EVIL DEAD 2, as gag-on-your-popcorn gross as PINK FLAMINGOS and as dementedly foulmouthed literate as a Kevin Smith raunchfest. It's genuine sick fun, and there isn't a boring moment in it!”

This exciting premiere of POULTRYGEIST: NIGHT OF THE CHICKEN DEAD will anchor an evening of new horror films presented by THE SPOOKY MOVIE FILM FESTIVAL, and will be followed by a rousing question and answering session led by Mr. Kaufman and hosted by local television personality Count Gore De Vol.

Presented by Spooky Fests, LLC,, THE SPOOKY MOVIE FILM FESTIVAL: MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S SCREAM will be held at Cinema Arts Theatre at Fair City Mall in Fairfax, Virginia (www.cinemaartstheatre.com) Thursday, July 17, 2008 from 6:30 p.m. until 11:00 p.m. Admission for the evening is only $12.00. For more information on this event, and updates on THE 2008 SPOOKY MOVIE FILM FESTIVAL (October 16-19), please visit our website: www.thespookymovie.com.

Date: July 01, 2008 11:15AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> Opposed townsfolk? At least the plot to the movie
> is believable. I admit I will see this film in
> whatever form it arrives in. The article implied
> a low-budget version already exists, can I get it
> somewhere?

If any of the townsfolk saw that article, they'll probably be even more opposed... the really cranky ones, anyway. ;) At least we're not planning on it being a Jerry Bruckheimer pyro-fest or anything that would actually be invasive to the community. They're quite territorial, some o' those Clifton folk.

The only low-budget (or otherwise) Bunnyman film I'm familiar with is one that is essentially just an interview with Brian Conley, the Fairfax County librarian who published the article debunking the urban legend. That may still be floating around on YouTube, and is worth a watch, especially for those who haven't read Conley's article.

As for our film, we're shooting for something that touches on the origins of the legend, as well as the various myths that have spawned over the years--without simply reenacting them on screen. And in the context of a brand new story, (and yes--a more believable one!) it stays true to the familiar themes while introducing a fresh approach. We could've chosen to go all Friday the 13th on this, but something closer to a Sixth Sense feel will ultimately make a better movie without lampooning the local myth.

Date: July 01, 2008 11:17AM

RESton Peace Wrote:
> Oh and just so you know, I am actually the Clifton
> resident quoted in your flyer, so you can take the
> 'anonymous' off before I sue you.

You, good sir, just earned a credit on the film. ;)

Date: July 01, 2008 11:21AM

Radiophile Wrote:
...and will be followed by a rousing
> question and answering session led by Mr. Kaufman
> and hosted by local television personality Count
> Gore De Vol.
>

Count Gore De Vol--otherwise known as Captain 20?! (Now there's a blast from the past!) Count us IN!

Posted by: DC2NYC ()
Date: July 02, 2008 09:35PM

19W Wrote:
> NoVA-based indie filmmakers 19th & Wilson
> (TechFellas, I.T.Never Ends) are hosting an event
> on July 17th at the JW Marriott in Washington DC—a
> chance to meet Jim Mercurio—one of the top script
> consultants in the country!
>
> It'll be a great event for screenwriters, actors,
> filmmakers, producers—or anyone interested in
> breaking into film!
>
> Check out 19W.com for more details.
>
>

But here's the BIG question...
Will Scorsese be there? ;)

VERY cool that you guys met him at the Kennedy Center!

Date: July 03, 2008 09:54AM

Meeting Martin Scorsese WAS very cool--thanks! Even cooler that he thought TechFellas was "Hilarious!" (And that he hasn't sued us for copyright infringement or anything!)

Having done two of 'em, I do think we're done with the Scorsese parodies, however. They've been a huge help in generating positive buzz; and we're finally meeting investors who want to help us make these full-length features.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/popcandy/2007/12/mob-lingo-meets.html
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0940524/

Posted by: 72 Virginians ()
Date: July 11, 2008 04:52PM

Can't wait for Uncle Lloyd! POULTRYGEIST on the 17th - MASTER CLASS on the 18th!

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.