HomeFairfax General ForumArrest/Ticket SearchWiki newPictures/VideosChatArticlesLinksAbout
Fairfax County General :  Fairfax Underground fairfax underground logo
Welcome to Fairfax Underground, a project site designed to improve communication among residents of Fairfax County, VA. Feel free to post anything Northern Virginia residents would find interesting.
9/27 Another HUGE explosion/blast heard in Oak Hill/Herndon
Posted by: Dave Da Da Dave ()
Date: September 28, 2012 10:21AM

[Reposed from other thread....]

HOLY MOLEY! I heard these 5 or 6 explosions yesterday around 9XX AM. Then just now (10:04 AM) I heard another, single, HUGE one - sounding like it came from the West of here (Dulles Airport area).

Someone tell me this is Quantico? That would need to be a MOAB for me to hear it up here. I would BARELY be able to hear a 5,000 bomb from this far from Quantico.

It's got to be some kind of blasting/tunneling for the new Metro line to Dulles. Has to be. But I can't find any official info. You would think they would let people know in advance. From here, it sounded like 10 747's crashing at once.

Did I mention holy CRAP!?!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 9/27 Another HUGE explosion/blast heard in Oak Hill/Herndon
Posted by: Olde Farte, II ()
Date: September 28, 2012 10:32AM

Could they be getting serious about this quarry expansion?

http://maps.google.com/?ll=38.858758,-77.543092&spn=0.032081,0.041842&t=h&z=15

The homeowners directly to the east are probably overjoyed, huh?

Posted by: Herdon? ()
Date: September 28, 2012 01:45PM

Who cares about Herdon and Sterling? They both suck.

Posted by: d4ha ()
Date: September 28, 2012 01:47PM

There are quarries in Sterling (off of Old Ox near the Herndon border), Pleasant Valley/South Riding (Chantilly Luckstone Quarry, north of 50 along the Dulles border), Centreville (on 29 near Bull Run), and more.

Posted by: Happy days are here again ()
Date: September 28, 2012 02:16PM

Explosions means rocks. Rocks mean construction.
Construction means jobs. Jobs means money. Money means purchasing. Purchasing means more jobs . Jobs mean more construction. Construction means more rocks. Rocks mean more explosions.
And to think we just landed on Mars for rocks. All they needed to do was ask me.
I have rocks in my head.

Posted by: lisle 88 ()
Date: October 04, 2012 10:42PM

When living in Herndon, we used to get these fairly often, and a resulting little "earthquake" when they blasted. It felt like it epicentered underground so close to town (We were a couple of miles from the big quarry near 28) we thought they were either building underground tunnels (secret railway escapes for the D/C royalty in case of a cataclism?) or the rock quarries to the south west of town were expanding their territories by tunnelling horizontally underneath the town of Herndon--that way they don't have to purchase the land for open pit mines, and with all the construction around here, who would investigate--until somebody's house drops down vertically a few hundred feet! There must be a lot of great granite bedrock down there under Herndon. Out in Loudoun County, all I have seen so far is soft red claystone and mudstones, but there are lots of quarries there also, must be good solid granite rock under the claystone. Something down there is pumping up all that radon gas into people's basements!

I seriously cant believe you guys...................
Posted by: Gordon Blvd ()
Date: October 04, 2012 10:44PM

.................rocks underground?!?!?

Geez, who'd have ever thought?

o_0

Posted by: mbFWC ()
Date: June 21, 2016 12:52AM

A homeowner in Sterling lived in the lower level suite of his house and rented out the upper floors. Because he was in the basement, he was always complaining about the vibration and very low frequency noise he was hearing that came through the underground 24 hrs a day. There would be occasional booms like muffled blasting. I remember him cussing up a storm leaving the house at all times of the night going out to try and pinpoint where the noise vibrations were coming from, and failing. We were about 10 miles from Dulles airport. He eventually sold out and moved to another state, he coud not get any sleep in Sterling.

Your Name: 
Your Email (Optional): 
Subject: 
Attach a file
  • No file can be larger than 75 MB
  • All files together cannot be larger than 300 MB
  • 30 more file(s) can be attached to this message
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
This forum powered by Phorum.